Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles "Enemy of My Enemy" Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Enemy of My Enemy" is a crazy good time and the final act had a permanent grin plastered on my face. Yeah, there's a few silly lines and small gripes I've got with the episode, but overall it was a real blast. It literally had everything I'm loving about this show: exciting action, one-liners that make me crack up and lovable character interactions.

This chapter brings the two primary antagonists -- Kraang and the Shredder -- into the spotlight. While the story doesn't introduce anything new with either (the Kraang still want to take over and Shredder still wants to turn the Turtles into soup), both are still ridiculously fun to watch. Shredder suffers from a case of "I'm so awesome that I can afford to slowly walk after my enemies," has a silly line ("Now you'll see why they call me The Shredder!) and once again spews idle threats (sheathes his blades immediately after saying he'll use 'em)... but you know what? Despite all that, I still get giddy like a child on Christmas morning when I see him face-off with the Turtles. It just oozes awesomeness and minor problems aside, he's still incredibly formidable. Then there's the Kraang -- their objective seems to be all over the place when it comes to making the planet theirs, but they're just so darn entertaining with their Kraang talk. I was afraid this unique style of communication would grow old but it totally hasn't. "Kraang rules" is without question the line of the year.

While it places a strong focus on those two baddies, Karai's really the key character here. This episode's all about her epiphany -- Shredder's desire for revenge pales in comparison to the Kraang's looming plot. What good is petty revenge if your planet is taken over by slimy aliens? What happens next is predictable but still hugely amusing. The Turtles have every right not to trust her based on their previous interactions and it's nice to finally feel more empathy for Karai. She pretty much risks it all for this alliance and it was a nice change of pace to see her finally feel like the victim instead of the manipulator. While it seems clear they're building a certain twist for the character, this conclusion really makes me wonder how she'll respond. Sure, she has problems with Shredder, but now more than ever she has a reason to stand firmly by his side.

No Caption Provided

Michelangelo, I just want to give you a huge hug, man. He's streaming plenty of adorable and legitimately funny one-liners in this episode and seeing each character interact with him in their own unique way never gets old. Raph's response to Mikey's poor directions were priceless. Speaking of which, can someone tell me why they'd pick him to give directions again? Oh, and I love the little conversation about cowabunga's replacement.

Karai: Booyakasha? What does that even mean?

Michelangel: I don't know, but it's fun to yell!"

And guess what? It is fun to hear him yell it. Cowabunga is good and all, but it's dated. So please, stop crying over them not yelling cowabunga because it definitely wouldn't work in 2013. Also hysterical in this one: Donny's word fumbling and Splinter's wisdom. "You know it's good advice when you're still confused afterwards!"

The action is plentiful and super enjoyable this time around. We get Karai dancing around the team and sword fighting Leo (accompanied by some pretty neat slow-mo), Shredder being jaw-droppingly badass as he takes on the Turtles and sidesteps shurikens, and the Kraang creating all kinds of pretty purple explosions with a spaceship. Not only were the melees energetic, but they looked solid, too. Setting the final act mid-day and by the docks was a brilliant change of pace for the show. The stark contrast of the highly detailed water with the unique take on the characters worked really well. Plus, the shot of the ship crashing as Leo and Karai stood face-to-face was seriously cool.

If you even remotely consider yourself a TMNT fan, you're obligated to give this show an honest chance. Simply put: it continues to rock and is pure bliss for this longtime fan of the franchise.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By cc1738

Which do you think is better Hyperstone Heist or Turtles in Time?

I like Hyperstone Heist.

This is random, but I don't care.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@cc1738 said:

Which do you think is better Hyperstone Heist or Turtles in Time?

I like Hyperstone Heist.

This is random, but I don't care.

Turtles in Time. That game took so many of my quarters.

Ben3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really enjoyed this episode. I didn't have any gripes with it. The final act with them at the Docks was fantastic. Like you said it was not only a change of pace but it was great to see what a CGI show can do with a new set piece. I'm really hoping they use the docks setting more often. I'm so happy that this show is not only getting a second season but a third as well.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ben3000 said:

I really enjoyed this episode. I didn't have any gripes with it. The final act with them at the Docks was fantastic. Like you said it was not only a change of pace but it was great to see what a CGI show can do with a new set piece. I'm really hoping they use the docks setting more often. I'm so happy that this show is not only getting a second season but a third as well.

Absolutely. It's well deserved and it's amazing how they've managed to keep up the momentum this entire time.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another amazing episode!! If you're not watching this, you're definitely missing out.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The episode was pretty good and I really hope Karai is Shredder daughter.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By reignmaker

Haven't started season 2 yet, but season 1 was solid.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Haven't started season 2 yet, but season 1 was solid.

The show is still on season 1.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

I'm trying to find some way to watch it, I don't have Nick. :\

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

"Krang will find them in a time, which is a time that is sooner, then a time that is later, at that time that is later."

That was hilarious. XD

Mr_riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kraang Prime is coming.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I seriously didn't expect I would like this series. But it never fails to deliver. Such a good show. However, I would like to see a bit more development on April. Her characterization is a bit all over the place.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

Meh

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By amazing_webhead

I found it ironic (and hypocritical) that after all that arguing about whether they could trust Karai, the Turtles ended up double-crossing her.

I'll bet after Shredder capturing a "pet" Kraang, we'll finally see the classic Shredder/Krang partnership in future episodes.

Honestly, loosing "cowabunga" is the only thing I don't like in this series.

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Care to elaborate?

I seriously didn't expect I would like this series. But it never fails to deliver. Such a good show. However, I would like to see a bit more development on April. Her characterization is a bit all over the place.

Same here.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lurkero

At first I was going to call out Karai for being a hypocrite, but after thinking about it for a second, when Karai first appeared she never made a deal with Leo to form an alliance to accomplish a new goal. Leo specifically agreed to work together and then went against his word to do so. That kind of makes what Leo did worse than what Karai did.

I am kind of over Shredder and his threats. He keeps saying he will do things, but the Shredder plot is on such a slow pace that it makes Shredders threats appear weak. He never punished Dogpound and Fishface and Karai definitely goes against him.

Another problem is that the Turtles didn't stand a chance against Shredder the first time they fought, so they really should have reconsidered trying to set a trap.

I don't really have any gripes with this episode. As always it's, "another good episode."

"That which is not good." - Kraang

"Don't you trust me, we used to be good friends." "Then you won't mind keeping me company while she checks the merchandise." - Shredder

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Another excellent episode. After Transformers Prime is over I see this winning almost every week's best episode award.

Avatar image for beast_in_the_shadows
Beast_in_the_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the best thing about this series over all the past Turtle tv ventures is that this one really feels like the turtles in their earlier development. They are making some pretty serious mistakes and having to learn some harder lessons than before.

This episode is a great example of that when you see the moment that Leo realizes that he screwed things up and kinda made things worse than they were.

thanks to all these mistakes and lessons, these turtles are already noticeably different from when the series started. I love this show more and more with every episode.

I just can't wait to find out if my theory about Karai are true.

MrCobain215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drewyetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: Don't you mean splinter's daughter? it would be a really interesting twist if that happened. The storyline is good as the 2003 and much better than ultimate spider-man for sure. This is one of the cartoons that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults as adults were kids themselves

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drewyetti said:

@nightfang: Don't you mean splinter's daughter? it would be a really interesting twist if that happened. The storyline is good as the 2003 and much better than ultimate spider-man for sure. This is one of the cartoons that can be enjoyed by both kids and adults as adults were kids themselves

No, I want Karai to be daughter and have splinter's real daughter appear later on.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Shredder's one badass villain. Love the fight between the Ninja Turtles and Shredder and how they split Leo up form the other 3 to fight off Karai. 5/5 star episode for sure.

p.s. If Leo was there to fight Shredder, I think they would've taken him on :P

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mezmero

The show is still great. You can tell that they're trying to sell toys pretty hard but it doesn't make it any less awesome. Oroku Saki is differentiating himself from the rest of the fodder villains by being the only one the turtles can't defeat in open combat, although I am somewhat unnerved at the likely return of the roach droid. I even like the little Japanese they threw into Shredder's dialogue and thought KMR does a pretty good delivery.

Speaking of great voice acting, the one known as Nolan North is the one who should always be doing the voices of the ones called Kraang. Great action, good humor, and a crazy plot. What more could one ask for from an honest to goodness cartoon. Kind of curious to see if the pet Kraang Shredder gets in the end will wind up being THE Kraang from the old cartoon. Looking forward to more.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh how it DOES continue to rock with each episode! :)

NovaDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You think "Kraang rules!" is the best line?

Personally I thought when one Kraang told another, "In Kraang's face" was the funniest line in the series. I shot Coke through my nose the first time I heard that.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@novadawg said:

You think "Kraang rules!" is the best line?

Personally I thought when one Kraang told another, "In Kraang's face" was the funniest line in the series. I shot Coke through my nose the first time I heard that.

Yes, it's my personal favorite. It nearly had me in tears.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 k4tzm4n  Moderator

FYI there won't be a new ep for 2 weeks.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I hope this series lasts. Its great, and I'd hate for another good animated series to be cancelled.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so I'm pretty sure that most of us can agree at this point that Karai is Splinter's daughter right?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I still hate Karai so very much.

NovaDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this series lasts. Its great, and I'd hate for another good animated series to be cancelled.

I'm not too afraid. Nick knows how to keep fans happy, look at the Avatar series, they did a major timeskip between series but unlike YJ are releasing lots of material for fans to fill in the blanks.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@novadawg said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

I'm not too afraid. Nick knows how to keep fans happy, look at the Avatar series, they did a major timeskip between series but unlike YJ are releasing lots of material for fans to fill in the blanks.

Plus the toys are apparently selling well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@novadawg said:

Plus the toys are apparently selling well.

Yeah my little cousin bought some and they looked pretty cool. She had to settle for Donatello and Raphael because the package with Leonardo and Mikey were sold out. I have a feeling though, that you and your fanboy self bought a bunch of the TMNT merchandise to boost its sales and keep it on television xD

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: Your feeling is correct. I have Shredder, Leo, Mikey, Dogpound and Metalhead on my windowsill. Leo's in the box because it's autographed by Jason Biggs, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: Your feeling is correct. I have Shredder, Leo, Mikey, Dogpound and Metalhead on my windowsill. Leo's in the box because it's autographed by Jason Biggs, though.

Whoa! How did you get it autographed by Jason Biggs?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

It's part of a giveaway we were going to do but Nick requested for me to hold off on it. Not sure why wanted to cancel it, but they gave me one of the giveaway items :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@k4tzm4n said:

It's part of a giveaway we were going to do but Nick requested for me to hold off on it. Not sure why, but they gave me one of the giveaway items :)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....giveaway...you...

HEY WAIT A MINUTE...THIS CONFIRMS THAT YOU ARE SECRETLY GETTING BAY-DOLLARS TO GIVE CRITICAL ACCLAIM TO EVERYTHING NINJA TURTLES.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@k4tzm4n said:

It's part of a giveaway we were going to do but Nick requested for me to hold off on it. Not sure why, but they gave me one of the giveaway items :)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....giveaway...you...

HEY WAIT A MINUTE...THIS CONFIRMS THAT YOU ARE SECRETLY GETTING BAY-DOLLARS TO GIVE CRITICAL ACCLAIM TO EVERYTHING NINJA TURTLES.

That's Nick dollars, bro!

And by dollars, I mean they bribe me with unlimited green slime and free trips to the Aggro Crag (oh my god that would be awesome).

chad4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This review confuses me. First...when did Shredder spew and threat then immediately put his blades away? When he made the shredder line it cut to leo and karari. and he walked after the turtles? Yea, one quick shot he walked, the next shot he ran, and the next cut he fell from above... There were much more prevalent points in the episode. Thats just being picky. Might as well complain about mikeys eyes changing size between cuts

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@chad4208 said:

This review confuses me. First...when did Shredder spew and threat then immediately put his blades away? When he made the shredder line it cut to leo and karari. and he walked after the turtles? Yea, one quick shot he walked, the next shot he ran, and the next cut he fell from above... There were much more prevalent points in the episode. Thats just being picky. Might as well complain about mikeys eyes changing size between cuts

First and foremost, I stated in the beginning they're minor problems, but things that came to mind while watching.

1. Shredder says "now you'll know why they call me The Shredder" and equips his blade. Then when it cuts to him fighting the Turtles again, they're not equipped. It's a trope at this point -- the deadly villain spewing idle threats -- and that's fine since it's a kids show, but it is something I wanted to chat about.
  2. He walks incredibly slow. Seems odd to have him show such agility in the pursuit then have him take a casual stroll. Easiest to chalk that up to arrogance, I suppose.
  3. Picky to you. Worth discussing for me and clearly the review blatantly states these matters don't detract from the overall quality.
  4. Not to be rude, but I can't help but find it ironic you're calling me picky with my minor complaints and then say "there were much more prevalent points in this episode." Isn't that what the rest of the review is covering?