Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Color Classics #1 Review

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Holy sweet nostalgia, Batman! This is the best $3.99 you're ever going to spend. If you're a Turtles fan, there's literally no reason not to buy this. Even if you own an original copy of the 1984 Mirage issue that started it all, this will give you the chance to keep that copy nice and clean and use this fresh one for reading. And, if you've never had the chance to read the very first Turtles adventure (understandable seeing as the back issues are expensive and graphic novels are costly as well), then this is going to be quite a delight.

This is what started it all. This issue tells the origin story of the heroes in a half shell, Splinter and their most popular nemesis, Shredder. Some might be surprised that this franchise wasn't for the kiddies at first. Right in the opening sequence we see that the Turtles get full use of their deadly weapons, showing no mercy on thugs in the Big Apple. From the battle on the first pages to the rooftop showdown with the Shredder, we're treated to some bloody and brutal encounters. In spite of how dark the world is, you can't help but have a smile on you're face as you read through this classic first issue.

I really have no serious complaints surrounding this issue. It's possible that the art might be a bit too dated and odd for some, though. The proportions tend to fluctuate at times, and while most of the action is illustrated incredibly well, there are a few panels that don't do the motion and impact full justice... at one point it actually looks like Michelangelo attacks Shredder with a hug (a devastating attack indeed). Overall, that's a very minor complaint, especially seeing as most of the art is fantastic. The splash pages would make for awesome posters and the details on the war-torn Turtles definitely catch your eye.

If you even remotely consider yourself a Turtles fan, I highly recommend picking this up. The second issue will hit shelves 6/6.

5/5

source: my blog

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Wow, a perfect score? Although I did enjoy the original Turtles.I don't know if it was that good.It definitely benefits from being in color but the black and white added to the grittiness in the book back in the day.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Vance Astro: Loved it from the first page all the way to the last and all of my complaints are very minor. I think that's deserving of a 5/5.

And while I do agree black and white can add to the grittiness, the coloring is vibrant and really adds a whole new layer to the book, especially when it comes to the blood shed.

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Reality

The Art is definitely badass.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Reality said:

Yeah, man, definitely. It might be dated, but it's still great to look at. I'm sure it'll be love/hate for most.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@k4tzm4n said:

@Vance Astro: Loved it from the first page all the way to the last and all of my complaints are very minor. I think that's deserving of a 5/5.

And while I do agree black and white can add to the grittiness, the coloring is vibrant and really adds a whole new layer to the book, especially when it comes to the blood shed.

I do love the original concept of the Ninja Turtles as told in these stories but I wonder if it's more nostalgia from how much I loved the Turtles in my childhood? Like if I was born in the late 90's, I wonder if I would have enjoyed reading it that much.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Vance Astro: Oh yeah, nostalgia undeniably plays a big role here.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Getting it tommorow. No doubt about it. =).

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Getting it tommorow. No doubt about it. =).

Sweet!

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Reality

@k4tzm4n said:

@Reality said:

Yeah, man, definitely. It might be dated, but it's still great to look at. I'm sure it'll be love/hate for most.

I love the original Turtle/Yojimbo art.