Technically should Doomsday be much more powerful than he is?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By dernman

Let be start out by saying this has nothing to do with making him interesting or any desire for him to be more powerful.

We know that Doomsday originally got powerful through experiments that evolved the character everytime he died after being released on prehistoric Krypton until he came to the point of being able to do so on his own after death. He gained other various powers like speed, strength, etcetera while being on Krypton which resides under a red sun and heavier gravity.

After leaving Krypton his power kept on growing by meeting new challenges and traveling from place forcing him to evolve after each death. These powers are completely it's own thing relying only on the trauma of death for activation. Eventually he arrives on Earth where under the benefit of the yellow sun Kryptonians gain superpowers like you would normally find in Superman. With Doomsday being Kryptonian and under the yellow sun shouldn't that only increase his powers? If a Kryptonian who is no stronger on Krypton than a human is on Earth. Shouldn't a Kryptonian who is already super powerful on Krypton only be further enhanced under a yellow sun? Shouldn't that put him far beyond the capabilities of someone like Superman making a gap in power equally as far as human and Kryptonian on Earth?

To explain the discrepancy I originally thought that Doomsday might not actually be Kryptonian and only was experimented on there. Something that was later put to rest by finding out he has Kryptonian DNA. This leaves me with the issue of trying to find some other excuse without just saying "comics". Off the top of my head while writing this I've come up with two possibilities. One being that during either the experiments or evolutions that he was some how altered so the yellow sun wouldn't have an effect. Another being that maybe he was some Neanderthal or Cro-Magnon type of Kryptonian that shared DNA but with a difference that they lacked that portion that turns yellow radiation into power. Though neither would address the gravity issue I believe.

So should Doomsday be more powerful and if so how would you explain him not being?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He mightn't have had time to adapt to the yellow sun like Supes has. That's usually why he's typically stronger than most other Kryptonians that come to Earth.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@dernman: This actually makes quite a bit of sense, I have always felt that the potential Doomsday has mixed with his background should make him literally a God, but they have to make it where Superman, the ultimate hero, has to stop him, or at least battle him. That type of methodology is seemingly paralleled with that of Goku in DBZ. People like the Frieza,or the god of destruction should be able to easily lay waste to Goku due to their past, but they tend to jobber the villains and ruin their potential to make the main hero's look good. That is what sells after all.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

@cable_extreme: That was part of the reason why I think they should have stopped using Doomsday after Death of Superman or at least Hunter/Prey. If they did use him it should have been rarely and only been in a huge event involving him. I think it was wrong for them to use him so much or use him to show how powerful other characters are in comparison. It left you feeling that his threat was lower and that he became beat of the week character.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kgb725

Even though its non canon now one story had DD gain intelligence but he sacrificed a portion of his power. Maybe the writers just never thought about it because he shouldn't be unstoppable