Team Names - Am I the only one who has thought about this?

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By Timandm

For a super hero team the team name is important... Or at least it should be. But I can't help but wonder about some of them. Consider the following team names:

AVENGERS

Avenger - One who takes vengeance or seeks revenge.

Is this REALLY an appropriate name for a team of super heroes? A team of punisher absolutely, but a group of people who do not believe in killing? Who believe in letting the Justice system prevail? The Avengers is the kind of name I would give a team if it consisted of

The Punisher, Wolverine, Deadpool, Cloak (without dagger), and ghost rider...

NEW AVENGERS

Do I even have to go there?

X-Men

I cannot POSSIBLY be the only human being who looked at the name "X-Men" and thought, "What? Are these a group of transexuals who were once men, but thanks to expensive and painful surgery, they are no living happily as "not quite women" but ex-men???

Omega Men

Maybe I'm being picky with this one, but Omega usually implies "last." The word Omega literally means "Big O" which, to me, implies something...sexual. But let's not go there.

Freedom Fighters

Yes, this group is from back in the 70s. I don't know if they've been around in the last couple of decades or not. However.... "Freedom Fighters" sounds like a para-military group staging a revolt. In fact, many "freedom fighters" are considered "terrorist", and by definition, most of them are... Just seems like a poor choice of a name for those trying to defend the innocent, and maintain order.

Birds of Prey

Think about that a moment. Birds of Prey. or just BOP for short. How about RAPTORS! All birds of prey, by definition, are raptors. THAT would have been a kewl name, don't you think?

But there's more wrong than just the acronym B.O.P. Let's consider the members of B.O.P.

Bat-Girl - Bats aren't birds; they're mammals with webbed wings. They are, however, the only mammals that can actually fly rather than glide.

Katana - Um... This is a Japanese style sword, not a bird.

Mockingbird - Okay, this one is at least a 'bird' but...Bird of Prey? It's not a raptor; it doesn't have the hooked beak nor does it use it's talons for killing. No, it sings and eats bugs and berries....

Poison Ivy - Okay, now they're not even trying! Not only is an Ivy not a bird, it's not even in the same Kingdom! This is a plant!!!

CYBER FORCE

Oh COME ON!?!?!?!? Seriously? "Cyber" force? Do I even HAVE say why this is a bad choice for a super hero team name?

WET WORKS

Um... See "cyber force"

SUPER FRIENDS

The name "Super Friends" has never and will never strike fear into the heart of evil.... It sounds like a group of critters that live in the 100 acre woods.

I think, if I named a super hero team, I'd give them an odd name that made no sense... Just to throw the enemy off as they wondered why we called ourselves the "Cup Holders" or "Place Mats" or "Post Its" or "Shoe Horns"....

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By SmashBrawler

The Freedom Fighters originally came from Earth-X (not related to Marvel's Earth X), a world where the Nazi Germany won WWII and now the Nazis ruled the Earth. So yes, "Freedom Fighters" does make sense in that context.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#2  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SmashBrawler said:

The Freedom Fighters originally came from Earth-X (not related to Marvel's Earth X), a world where the Nazi Germany won WWII and now the Nazis ruled the Earth. So yes, "Freedom Fighters" does make sense in that context.

Tm's just goofing around. don't take it to seriously.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Timandm said:

For a super hero team the team name is important... Or at least it should be. But I can't help but wonder about some of them. Consider the following team names:

AVENGERS

Avenger - One who takes vengeance or seeks revenge.

Is this REALLY an appropriate name for a team of super heroes? A team of punisher absolutely, but a group of people who do not believe in killing? Who believe in letting the Justice system prevail? The Avengers is the kind of name I would give a team if it consisted of

The Punisher, Wolverine, Deadpool, Cloak (without dagger), and ghost rider...

NEW AVENGERS

Do I even have to go there?

X-Men

I cannot POSSIBLY be the only human being who looked at the name "X-Men" and thought, "What? Are these a group of transexuals who were once men, but thanks to expensive and painful surgery, they are no living happily as "not quite women" but ex-men???

Omega Men

Maybe I'm being picky with this one, but Omega usually implies "last." The word Omega literally means "Big O" which, to me, implies something...sexual. But let's not go there.

Freedom Fighters

Yes, this group is from back in the 70s. I don't know if they've been around in the last couple of decades or not. However.... "Freedom Fighters" sounds like a para-military group staging a revolt. In fact, many "freedom fighters" are considered "terrorist", and by definition, most of them are... Just seems like a poor choice of a name for those trying to defend the innocent, and maintain order.

Birds of Prey

Think about that a moment. Birds of Prey. or just BOP for short. How about RAPTORS! All birds of prey, by definition, are raptors. THAT would have been a kewl name, don't you think?

But there's more wrong than just the acronym B.O.P. Let's consider the members of B.O.P.

Bat-Girl - Bats aren't birds; they're mammals with webbed wings. They are, however, the only mammals that can actually fly rather than glide.

Katana - Um... This is a Japanese style sword, not a bird.

Black Canary - Okay, this one is at least a 'bird' but...Bird of Prey? It's not a raptor; it doesn't have the hooked beak nor does it use it's talons for killing. No, it sings and eats bugs and berries....

Poison Ivy - Okay, now they're not even trying! Not only is an Ivy not a bird, it's not even in the same Kingdom! This is a plant!!!

CYBER FORCE

Oh COME ON!?!?!?!? Seriously? "Cyber" force? Do I even HAVE say why this is a bad choice for a super hero team name?

WET WORKS

Um... See "cyber force"

SUPER FRIENDS

The name "Super Friends" has never and will never strike fear into the heart of evil.... It sounds like a group of critters that live in the 100 acre woods.

I think, if I named a super hero team, I'd give them an odd name that made no sense... Just to throw the enemy off as they wondered why we called ourselves the "Cup Holders" or "Place Mats" or "Post Its" or "Shoe Horns"....

fixed

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Tm's just goofing around. don't take it to seriously.

Oh. I've seen odder stuff in the Internet, so that's why I didn't really notice. Looking back, I see what you're saying.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Yung ANcient One
You totally went left field for me. I thought you were going to go somewhere else with this topic.   Well B.O.P. was kind of close  Also if the team can't save the Earth they're definitely going to Avenge it. (+)
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Timandm

@SmashBrawler said:

Yes, it does... i didn't really know much about them...

@Avenging-X-Bolt:

Thanks for the assist!

@Yung ANcient One:

Where did you think I was going to go with it? Just curious.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Yung ANcient One
@Timandm:  I thought you were going to think of new team names you think fit the "teams" better.
Like B.O.P. you said Raptors(if I'm not mistaken.)  It was weird for me to just see you make detailed observations. They make sense don't get me wrong, but I had imagined the thread differently. (+)
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Timandm

@Yung ANcient One said:

@Timandm: I thought you were going to think of new team names you think fit the "teams" better.
Like B.O.P. you said Raptors(if I'm not mistaken.) It was weird for me to just see you make detailed observations. They make sense don't get me wrong, but I had imagined the thread differently. (+)

You know... That would have been incredibly logical... I have no idea why that didn't occur to me... LOL!

Maybe that would make for an interesting forum... Open it up to the panel... A sort of, "What name would fit better..."

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Aero_gt

Birds of Prey - Batgirl, Katana, MOCKING BIRD...<- That Marvel ripoff will never be as chill as Black Canary. I take my Blonde headed hearoes seriously.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Timandm

@Aero_gt said:

Birds of Prey - Batgirl, Katana, MOCKING BIRD...<- That Marvel ripoff will never be as chill as Black Canary. I take my Blonde headed hearoes seriously.

DOH!!! I meant "Black Canary" ... Sorry bout that. Course... The canary isn't exactly a Bird of Prey either....

So... Blonde headed super heroes... That sounds like a good Title for the next Marvel Event!

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@Timandm said:

@Aero_gt said:

DOH!!! I meant "Black Canary" ... Sorry bout that. Course... The canary isn't exactly a Bird of Prey either....

So... Blonde headed super heroes... That sounds like a good Title for the next Marvel E@Aero_gt said:

She isn't even a natural blonde. Bobbi is however.

Aero_gt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aero_gt

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@Timandm said:

@Aero_gt said:

So... Blonde headed super heroes... That sounds like a good Title for the next Marvel E@Aero_gt said:

She isn't even a natural blonde. Bobbi is however.

She chooses to be blond and that's all that count in my book.

As for a Blond hero event, Steve Rogers, Carol Danvers, Black Cat kinda, Monking Bird I suppose, Emma Frost, The Cuckoos, Thor, Havok, Angel, and the Storm siblings have to fight against the Red Skull who is butthurt thwt he has no hair and makes an airborne virus that not only makes people hairless, but makes them grew direly ill. The serum only works on non natural blonds and Red Skull is the only one that has the cure. 10 issue event.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Timandm

@Aero_gt:

As for a Blond hero event, Steve Rogers, Carol Danvers, Black Cat kinda, Monking Bird I suppose, Emma Frost, The Cuckoos, Thor, Havok, Angel, and the Storm siblings have to fight against the Red Skull who is butthurt thwt he has no hair and makes an airborne virus that not only makes people hairless, but makes them grew direly ill. The serum only works on non natural blonds and Red Skull is the only one that has the cure. 10 issue event.

Susan, Johnny, Franklin, and Valeria Storm form a team with 10 issues of tie-ins. Unlce Ben joins in as he has no hair..... Dazzler, Cannonball, Longshot, and Doug Ramsey make a few appearances as the obligatory X-Men tie in...