Survey of the religious affiliations of superheroes

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paracelsus

In a story set around Christmas involving the Fantastic Four, Franklin asks his Uncle Ben (the Thing). what he does around this time of year. Ben replies that as he's a Jew, he doesn't celebrate Christmas but Hanukkah instead, and notes that he and Shadowcat of the X-Men are the only two known Jewish superheroes around( yes we all know that Moon Knight, as Marc Spector is Jewish- he's a rabbi's son after all, but nobody else knows). Franklin's mother Sue(the Invisible Woman) says that she goes to St.Patrick's Cathedral around Easter and Christmas, lights a candle and prays, so she and her brother Johnny are obviously Roman Catholic(why the editor is so coy about their religious affiliation when the Thing is known to be Jewish eludes me).

I'm curious-has nobody ever seriously tried to assess the religious affiliations of superheroes?- true, many have secret identities, but if the Marvel superhero community is as representative of the real life American population, then at some can be thought of being as Jews or Catholics(one out of every four Americans of both sexes is a Roman Catholic).

Just curious!

Terry

benjoe11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By benjoe11

Wow great, great question...I'm curious about that myself now.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By PowerHerc

@Paracelsus: I'll bet the religious persuasions of most heroes hasn't been delved into for any of several reasons or a combination thereof.

These reasons might include, but aren't limited to:

1. - It was never considered by the creator, editor or writer.

2. - It didn't seem relevant to the story or to comics in general.

3. - It was forbidden by editorial mandate to avoid controversy due to the possibility of offending the pro-, anti- or specific religious beliefs of readers in general and thereby risk losing readers/sales.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@cattlebattle said:

@Paracelsus: @benjoe11: There is a whole website that covers this http://www.comicbookreligion.com/

That site is awesome, I've browsed it and recommend it many times before.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman
@PowerHerc said:

@Paracelsus: I'll bet the religious persuasions of most heroes hasn't been delved into for any of several reasons or a combination thereof.

3. - It was forbidden by editorial mandate to avoid controversy due to the possibility of offending the pro-, anti- or specific religious beliefs of readers in general and thereby risk losing readers/sales.

I seriously doubt the never considered it. 
I think it's number 3 and  I think it's dumb not to include when they deal with issues that have a similar effect like political beliefs.  Someones religious persuasion can have just as much relevancy on the story as political beliefs, and sexual preference which we see a lot of.
benjoe11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benjoe11

@cattlebattle: Wow, that site is awesome. Thanks alot

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PowerHerc

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

I seriously doubt the never considered it. I think it's number 3 and I think it's dumb not to include when they deal with issues that have a similar effect like political beliefs. Someones religious persuasion can have just as much relevancy on the story as political beliefs, and sexual preference which we see a lot of.

You may doubt it but a lot of the most iconic characters were created in a time (1930's to the 1960's) when comics, and hence comic characters, were considered 'kids stuff', so I think it's entirely possible that a lot of creators merely tried to conceive, design, write and draw characters they thought would sell, and thus keep them working, without ever considering assigning any religious notion(s) whatsoever to the character(s). Things have changed since and people today think differently about such matters, but people and comics were a lot different back then.

Comics back then didn't deal with social issues such as race, religion, gender, sexuality and politics. Trying to understand or guess at peoples motivations during those past decades using today's more open and progressive thinking probably won't work. For better and/or worse; They just didn't think like we do in modern times.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ssejllenrad

It's amazing that with all the supernatural stuff happening in comics, some characters still manage to become atheists.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@ssejllenrad

Ragman's (Jewish) discussion with Mr. Terrific (Atheist) was rather interesting. 
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dernman
@PowerHerc said:

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

I seriously doubt the never considered it. I think it's number 3 and I think it's dumb not to include when they deal with issues that have a similar effect like political beliefs. Someones religious persuasion can have just as much relevancy on the story as political beliefs, and sexual preference which we see a lot of.

You may doubt it but a lot of the most iconic characters were created in a time (1930's to the 1960's) when comics, and hence comic characters, were considered 'kids stuff', so I think it's entirely possible that a lot of creators merely tried to conceive, design, write and draw characters they thought would sell, and thus keep them working, without ever considering assigning any religious notion(s) whatsoever to the character(s). Things have changed since and people today think differently about such matters, but people and comics were a lot different back then.

Comics back then didn't deal with social issues such as race, religion, gender, sexuality and politics. Trying to understand or guess at peoples motivations during those past decades using today's more open and progressive thinking probably won't work. For better and/or worse; They just didn't think like we do in modern times.

A lot of what you say is true but in some cases they have managed it with political motivations so they should be able to do it with religious when it comes to the old characters.  There is also nothing stopping them from doing it with the new characters they come out with all the time. 
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

Thor's religion is well known being that he and all his people pretty much worship his father

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PowerHerc

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

A lot of what you say is true but in some cases they have managed it with political motivations so they should be able to do it with religious when it comes to the old characters. There is also nothing stopping them from doing it with the new characters they come out with all the time.

I agree with both of your sentences, though I do think the risk of offending or turning some readers off might stop some creators.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle
@ssejllenrad said:

It's amazing that with all the supernatural stuff happening in comics, some characters still manage to become atheists.

Good point!! X-Men being one of my favorites, I always wonder how they take the origin of mutation (evolution) seriously, they have gods of every faith flying around along with the mythical creatures that are synonymous with the collective religions......I'd be asking Angel "Hey man,...you sure you aren't a real angel??"
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dernman
@ssejllenrad said:

On one hand yes it does make it harder to deny that there could be supernatural being who is the god and creator that exists but.... 
On there other hand with all the heroes going around claiming to be gods it could make it harder to believe in the one.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@cattlebattle

Comics generally seem to take a part-religious, part-science approach. DC showed evolution, but also showed the Garden of Eden and Cain and Abel. Rather interesting. 
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cattlebattle
@JediXMan said:
@cattlebattle:   Comics generally seem to take a part-religious, part-science approach. DC showed evolution, but also showed the Garden of Eden and Cain and Abel. Rather interesting. 
Yeah, I guess they try to pander to everyone......but the X-Men specifically puzzles me , as evolution is a prominent factor in their overall story It just seems silly that they just acknowledge all these God like characters who have admitted to the creation of races, and the fact that the X-Men don't point a finger or question them is strange.....they just except the fact they evolved from normal humans, Maybe the writers just never cared to address it.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@cattlebattle

Well, you could say the Celestials are the cause of mutants, not evolution per se.
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dernman
@PowerHerc said:

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

A lot of what you say is true but in some cases they have managed it with political motivations so they should be able to do it with religious when it comes to the old characters. There is also nothing stopping them from doing it with the new characters they come out with all the time.

I agree with both of your sentences, though I do think the risk of offending or turning some readers off might stop some creators.

Yes I agree with what you just said :p  
It's why I find it odd they include similar issues that could offend or turn a reader off equally. 
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they should or shouldn't.   I just find it odd.
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle
@JediXMan said:
@cattlebattle:   Well, you could say the Celestials are the cause of mutants, not evolution per se.
I remember that......well, the Celestials aren't really religous characters so I can accept that, It's just strange out of all the things the X-Men have blamed for mutation (radiation and so on) they never thought to question if Mephisto is responsible or some crap
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PowerHerc

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Dernman said:

@PowerHerc said:

Yes I agree with what you just said :p It's why I find it odd they include similar issues that could offend or turn a reader off equally. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they should or shouldn't. I just find it odd.

It is odd.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Dernman said:

@ssejllenrad said:

On one hand yes it does make it harder to deny that there could be supernatural being who is the god and creator that exists but....
On there other hand with all the heroes going around claiming to be gods it could make it harder to believe in the one.

But atheists don't just reject the one god. They reject the existence of any god. Thor, Hercules, etc. In fact atheists reject any form of supernatural subjects. Which, in the comic world, is just so pathetic.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dernman
@ssejllenrad said:

@Dernman said:

@ssejllenrad said:

But atheists don't just reject the one god. They reject the existence of any god. Thor, Hercules, etc. In fact atheists reject any form of supernatural subjects. Which, in the comic world, is just so pathetic.

I think you missed my point.  
Yes it makes it harder to deny the supernatural but if you saw beings calling themselves gods walking on equal footing as men. That would make it easier to deny them as a  higher being that should be worshiped.      

If  I was in a comic saw Hercules walking around with humans as equals and some of them are more powerful I would have a hard time believing that he truly is some supernatural god let alone be someone I should worshiped.    And with all the beings that they face that from a normal persons perspective are all powerful and defeat them. 

It makes them see them as just another type of alien being with strange abilities.