Superman's Potential For Intellectual Greatness?

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mysticmedivh

When most people think of Superman they think of a big buff man in red and blue tights who solves his problem by using his fists. Superman is a Kryptonian, the problem solving, intelligence, and thought process of Kryptonian's far surpass those of humans. Superman, as an individual, is an intelligent person. He is also the son of the two brightest scientists in all of Krypton. He has a lot of things going for him. Feats such as reading every medical text book ever published in mere moments are very impressive.

No Caption Provided

If Superman were trained in the art of science and the mind from a young age, do you think he could be an intellectual on par with Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, or Reed Richards? Could he be a great prepper, able to overcome almost any situation by applying his knowledge?

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lex already considers him the 2nd greatest mind on earth. after his own.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, really? Do you happen to have the scan by any chance?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's already really smart. But if he read every book on earth I'm sure he'd be the very smartest person on the planet. His potential is limitless with his superhuman mind. The only question is if he could use it and apply it, and invent or come up with things on his own. That's what real geniuses do.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he were trained from a young age, he'd likely have surpassed the likes of Banner and Richards. The Tech for DC seems slightly lower-grade, but considering he likely has access to alien tech after obtaining the Fortress of Solitude, he could likely reach Doctor Doom-levels of prep-skill, which would make him about or above the level of Tony or Hank.

In all honesty though, I can't imagine what prep could seriously help him with that he can't handle as-is.

TheLurker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheLurker

Whatever limit Batman permits.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

He's already really smart. But if he read every book on earth I'm sure he'd be the very smartest person on the planet. His potential is limitless with his superhuman mind. The only question is if he could use it and apply it, and invent or come up with things on his own. That's what real geniuses do.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. If he were to focus all of his time and abilities on his intellectual prowess could he become a genius like Reed Richards by being able to apply his knowledge and use them to overcome problems and challenges?

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Comicuser

@comicuser said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mysticmedivh

@mysticmedivh said:

@comicuser said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Impressive, he has a lot of potential. It's a shame we've never seen his mind be put to use in a great prep feat to overcome a situation in which he would normally not have had been able to.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. If he were to focus all of his time and abilities on his intellectual prowess could he become a genius like Reed Richards by being able to apply his knowledge and use them to overcome problems and challenges?

yes. he already has tons of tech in the fortress that he has reverse engenereed and augmented. Like the weapon that barry was instructed by superman to use on kara. superman made that. it was a weapon that was powered by kinetic energy, energy that is basically limitless in the hands of the flash. and it was set specifically to disrupt kryptonian dna. clarks very accomplished.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Comicuser

Another weapon: this time an armor:

No Caption Provided

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@comicuser:

A totally useless armor that got destroyed in, what, 4 pages?

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Comicuser

@sog7dc said:

@comicuser:

A totally useless armor that got destroyed in, what, 4 pages?

He still had it on in page 24. he took it off and went to the batcave.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Superman is not as intelligent as Brainiac. If he is that 12 level intellect genius he would have solve the bottle city of Kandor problem but until now he can't really save Kandor. It is very sad story. Powerful man but yet cannot save maybe last pieces of his home planet Krypton. It is sad story but also makes Superman relatable

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

His intelligence should be fleshed out a little more in the books.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he could be an intellectual on par with Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, or Reed Richards.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he could be an intellectual on par with Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym, or Reed Richards.

Considering he can think faster than all of them combined, yes, he could be smarter. He probably is, too.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@symbioticspider-man: @the_titan_lord : most of the best Superman story involve Strength vs Brain for example story involve Brainiac and Lex Luthor. So if Superman become super genius then nobody can defeat Superman and he become not relatable and interesting. Superman is not as intelligent as Brainiac. If he is that 12 level intellect genius he would have solve the bottle city of Kandor problem but until now he can't really save Kandor. It is very sad story. Powerful man but yet cannot save maybe last pieces of his home planet Krypton. It is sad story but also makes Superman relatable

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: @the_titan_lord : most of the best Superman story involve Strength vs Brain for example story involve Brainiac and Lex Luthor. So if Superman become super genius then nobody can defeat Superman and he become not relatable and interesting. Superman is not as intelligent as Brainiac. If he is that 12 level intellect genius he would have solve the bottle city of Kandor problem but until now he can't really save Kandor. It is very sad story. Powerful man but yet cannot save maybe last pieces of his home planet Krypton. It is sad story but also makes Superman relatable

I didn't say he was smarter than Brainiac, but he should be smarter than Lex, even though I think he's cool. Superman is also a bit inconsistent. If he supposedly is "not smarter than Lex" why does he have better tech, again?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Black_Arrow

@boynerdgeek said:

I didn't say he was smarter than Brainiac, but he should be smarter than Lex, even though I think he's cool. Superman is also a bit inconsistent. If he supposedly is "not smarter than Lex" why does he have better tech, again?

Because he got the tech from all of his battles in space. He probably take them from enemies of other planets because they were far too dangerous.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: well the tech is collection in his battles perhaps with another alien creatures. Kind of The same way Batman got T-rex and Giant Coin on the Batcave

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

He has the innate ability to be a great scientist as his family is one the house of EL houses the greatest minds on krypton, maybe having that type of scientific mind woulb be overkill for him

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man said:

@boynerdgeek said:

Because he got the tech from all of his battles in space. He probably take them from enemies of other planets because they were far too dangerous.

he does take the tech from them, but then he reverse engineers them and puts them back together. In some cases, he even modifies them to fit better purposes as I explained in an earlier post.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Comicuser

im about to make a threas asking for some help with calculations. feel free to look for it. anyway:

No Caption Provided

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow said:

@boynerdgeek said:

he does take the tech from them, but then he reverse engineers them and puts them back together. In some cases, he even modifies them to fit better purposes as I explained in an earlier post.

Well when he reverse engineers he learns from those technologies and then that helps him when he has to modified them but doing those things is not the same as creating them. I didn´t say that Superman wasn´t smart but he isn´t smarter than the most intelligent men.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Black_Arrow
No Caption Provided

This from Irredimable a comic book that Mark Waid (a famous superman writer) and in that book the main character has the same powers as Superman (later it is found that he manipulates reality to make those abilities possible). This means that he has the same mental capacity of Superman, and this is Mark´s Waid explanation (actually is from Qubit) on why he is not smarter than the smartest men in his world. I love this explanation, and I think that Waid intended to use that explanation with Superman too.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Mrnoital

one way I enjoyed it being put was "Superman's father was the lead scientist on a planet where genius is average" and that gives a good impression of the abilities of his mind

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser said:

@black_arrow said:

@boynerdgeek said:

Well when he reverse engineers he learns from those technologies and then that helps him when he has to modified them but doing those things is not the same as creating them. I didn´t say that Superman wasn´t smart but he isn´t smarter than the most intelligent men.

it depends on what being smarter than the most intelligent men means.

Superman isnt show to have the creativity to create like many other comic characters.

What he is shown doing though is being able to reverse engineer super advanced tech from other alien races and make it better to suit his needs.

He's also shown to be able to cram hundreds of thousands(im low balling) of books into his brain in a short amount of time. so that means he has great potential. he makes super computers look like kinder gardeners.

But he will never be written to surpass the likes of brainiac or reed richards or tony or bruce. that would be really boring and overpowered.

as of right now without him studying or reading a ton, your right, hes NOT smarter than the most intelligent men in comics.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser: Like I said probably most of the best Superman story involve Strength vs Brain for example story involve Brainiac and Lex Luthor. So if Superman become super genius then nobody can defeat Superman and he become not relatable and interesting. Superman is not as intelligent as Brainiac. If he is that 12 level intellect genius he would have solve the bottle city of Kandor problem but until now he can't really save Kandor. It is very sad story. Powerful man but yet cannot save maybe last pieces of his home planet Krypton. It is sad story but also makes Superman relatable

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser: Like I said probably most of the best Superman story involve Strength vs Brain for example story involve Brainiac and Lex Luthor. So if Superman become super genius then nobody can defeat Superman and he become not relatable and interesting. Superman is not as intelligent as Brainiac. If he is that 12 level intellect genius he would have solve the bottle city of Kandor problem but until now he can't really save Kandor. It is very sad story. Powerful man but yet cannot save maybe last pieces of his home planet Krypton. It is sad story but also makes Superman relatable

no need to copy paste this stuff for the 3rd time. i read what you said the first time.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man: Yes, he has intelligence but does he use it more often than these guys? Besides I doubt if his human he would come close to these guys. He was only able to acquire those knowledge due his powers and daddy's big lab. He didn't acquire anything thru his own effort.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow said:

@comicuser said:

@black_arrow said:

@boynerdgeek said:

Superman isnt show to have the creativity to create like many other comic characters.

What he is shown doing though is being able to reverse engineer super advanced tech from other alien races and make it better to suit his needs.

He's also shown to be able to cram hundreds of thousands(im low balling) of books into his brain in a short amount of time. so that means he has great potential. he makes super computers look like kinder gardeners.

But he will never be written to surpass the likes of brainiac or reed richards or tony or bruce. that would be really boring and overpowered.

as of right now without him studying or reading a ton, your right, hes NOT smarter than the most intelligent men in comics.

I think that my views are showed in the image I uploaded from Irredimable. The greatest problem that he has is that he lacks curiosity. He could be smarter but he doesn´t have the need to gain knowledge.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser said:

@black_arrow said:

@comicuser said:

@black_arrow said:

@boynerdgeek said:

I think that my views are showed in the image I uploaded from Irredimable. The greatest problem that he has is that he lacks curiosity. He could be smarter but he doesn´t have the need to gain knowledge.

i agree

Avatar image for gokubeatsuperman
gokubeatsuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By gokubeatsuperman

@comicuser said:

lex is hyperbull do you take what some said as a feat? lol dbz haters have it backwards batman is the greatest mind over thses two and i am sure there is someone over batman too cyborg? he has access to the internet at any time

batman is smarter than superman

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh: If Superman applied his intelligence, his knowledge base and overall understanding wouldn't be comparable with Reed Richards', Tony Stark's, Bruce Banner's, Lex Luthor's, etc.; it would far supersede theirs. Why? Because unlike the aforementioned, Superman has super intelligence.

His raw intelligence is already tenfold theirs. Lex's statement above holds no weight, as he's an egomaniac who thinks he's the best of the best. A reason he hates Superman so much is because, deep down, he knows that the Man of Steel is far more intelligent than he is.

As others have said, the only thing Superman lacks is curiosity, as he has no need for knowledge and understanding (most of the time)... which sucks.