Superman or Thor. who do you like more and why?

• 119 results
SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By SOG7dc

I can't upload pictures for some reason but superman is my preference because of the two times he's talked people out of suicide

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Thor has true power :)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Superman, I enjoy Thor but find Supes much more likeable and interesting.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Wolverine008
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Thor is a pretty nice guy too.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SOG7dc

@sandman_: Yes but he did it in another comic too. I think it was "grounded"

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: ..it's best if we don't talk about that arc.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_: Why not? I'm really excited about reading that! Is it bad? (I'm reading Camelot falls now)

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: That's super speech for you.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By DecoyElite

Superman, although I've read more stuff with him than I have of Thor.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#67 SC  Moderator

I like both, conceptually its hard to tell. I like martial arts in real life for example, but not fighting. I like the idea of people training their bodies to be ready to fight and codes of honor that accompany physical discipline and dealing with conflict. Thor being an honorable warrior who fights is appealing to me in that sense. Physical adversary and competition isn't necessarily a bad thing to him. Then again I also love so many themes that are integral to Superman, as far as I see him. Loneliness, being different, having to fit in and conform whilst also staying true to ones self. Trying to be the best man (mankind) you can be. Having ethics and being nice, even if others think thats boring. The whole Superman/Clark Kent mythos and its various interpretations.

Execution of some of these concepts and ideas is a different story though, I have read so many bad Superman and Thor stories. So so many bad stories. Superman is also burdened in a way that Thor isn't. Superman is pretty much the face of DC comics and has been for well over fifty years. He is a much bigger icon. He is much more popular and his value extends across multiple platforms and mediums. Superman has value thus in appealing and conforming to selling to the lowest common denominator at any given time in a given situation. This is semi true of Thor just not to the same extent. A positive of this is that many people will find these characters accessible and they will appeal to all types of people. A negative of this is that both characters can be dumbed down, watered down and be used as very superficial, vapid vehicles for wish fulfillment power fantasy type illusions. Comics to me is unappealing when its about teen male boys or man children selecting fictional avatars that depend and rely on superlatives, like being da strongest, being da most powerful, being da fastest, being da etc even though each persons preference is their own. That and they are a big enough minority that comic writers and companies cater to this often. Since I am not your average mainstream reader or really fit into Marvels target audience it means I get disconnected with both. Ironically since Thor isn't as popular many of his writers have been forced to try and be more creative and have been allowed to take risks, I think Thor's four best writers are testament to this, Simonson, JMS, Oeming and Aaron. Funnily enough a place where Superman's character is afforded risks, can be found in places that aren't in mainstream continuity, like my favorite Superman story All Star Superman.

Its also a similar process as far as morals and ethics, and I am largely skeptical whenever Superman and Thor are held up as holier than thou, I get weary. Especially since Thor's arrogance is a trait of his past self that he grew and matured past. Superman actually a lot of the time doesn't behave how one advertised with his level of intelligence, morals and abilities should. I already know why, its largely for creative reasons and the stories that writers want to write about and many readers want to read about. Superman's morality is usually portrayed as lazy to me, but thats the trap his character is stuck in, and also helps make him so accessible to so many people and his fans. In this sense Thor being a bit more flawed as far as being raised in a completely different culture, and different era and being a bit bold and arrogant at times, allows me to be less critical. Thor has been around for a long time and seen humanity change a lot, I can buy him not wanting to interfere to much with humans, he should be more content but there are many aspects of Superman that I can't buy. Again, not really the characters fault, more that he exists in a shared universe with other characters and multiple writers and in a reality that tries to be similar to our own.

Lots of Thor fans get really passionate about Thor "jobbing" a lot but if anything for me, I enjoy that. Writers tend to view Thor a lot differently than fans do, Thor is used to help establish and build credit for new characters or characters that need extra credibility. Its a lot like professional wrestling where characters/wrestlers like Kane will help get over new talent and gimmicks. Mind you Superman does this as well, both Thor and Superman help make other characters, I think Superman also gets a lot more TLC though and that makes sense, he has like a whole family of books, sells way more merchandizing and is a massive fan and writer favorite. My second favorite Thor writer wrote Thor as a writing gig but his biggest writer dream was to write Superman. Says something eh?

Ultimately I'd say I personally prefer Thor more. I am a fan of Norse mythology and find Thor to be the darker, deeper and more nuanced character. When I think of funny Thor moments I think of dozens, when I think of epic Thor moments I think of dozens, when I think of quaint and cute Thor moments I think of dozens, when I think of deep and compelling Thor moments I think of dozens. Drama, poignant, witty. So on. With Superman I usually end up thinking All Star, and then after that all these instances where we have a writer and artist trying to tell me Superman is the best, Superman is the most ideal, Superman isn't the most perfect guy... but he sure tries to be and that is what makes him perfect **eye wink** and then all the various feats and power speed demonstrations. Just turns me off his character unfortunately. Side note though I find the character pretty consistent and I find Thor has had way way many bad stories too heh heh. I haven't read much of New 52 Superman though apart from Justice League so I am hoping his main series will win me over a bit more, maybe I might end up preferring him over Thor, I like to keep my mind open about such things.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Supes but I like Thor a lot

sommyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The Thunder god!!!!!!!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: I totally disagree with your points about wish fulfillment power fantasy and superlatives. But I respect your opinion

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@wolverine08 said:
No Caption Provided

Is this from Ultimates or 616?

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Wolverine008

@wolverine08 said:
No Caption Provided

Is this from Ultimates or 616? It looks like Ultimates

It's from 616. After Civil War, Thor tried to placed the city of Asgard on Oklahoma. Iron Man (who was working with Shield), confronted Thor, and arrogantly told Thor to remove Asgard from the area. Thor was pissed about what Tony had did to his fellow heroes during Civil War, and that he had cloned him so beat the sh%t out of Tony. Lol.

Avatar image for katrin_romanoff_004
Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is a GOD, he has magic. Does Superman have magic?

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I like both, but i prefer Thor because he is less boy scout and because i like Norse Mythology

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#77 SC  Moderator

@sog7dc said:

I totally disagree with your points about wish fulfillment power fantasy and superlatives. But I respect your opinion

You can feel free to elaborate if you wish, I like talking about both characters and you might change my mind. ^_^

Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 the_stegman  Moderator

@wolverine08: Yeah, now that I look closer, it looks like regular Thor and Tony, if it was Ultimate Tony his suit would have more lights on it, lol. But yeah, Thor wasn't playin games.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SOG7dc
Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Well I see where you're coming from but I very much enjoy the "arms race" of it all (comics). The cold war between dc and marvel. The alpha-male contest between superman and Thor. The superlative strength speed and power both characters have or are growing towards. You see I think about it the same way I think about life. We go to professional sporting events for the shock and awe of our closest thing to super powered people. When adrien Peterson runs or 2097 yards 8 months after tearing his acl and mcl I think of superman at the end of all star. When Miguel cabrera wins the triple crown for the first time in 60 years I think of Hal Jordan willing himself back to life with a black lantern ring. When Kobe Bryant has been playing pro ball for my entire life and is still one of the top 3 players in the game I think of batman in kingdom come. Aside from all that I just enjoy power fantasy. Love it. I love imagining myself flying through the sky looking at the curvature of the earth and the zipping down to stop a kid from being bullied. I live imagining myself flying though hypersoace faster than light while I hold on to my mystical hammer and then zipping down to give a planet in drought a rain storm. It's just awesome to think about for me. Furthermore I love competition. Like Tom Brady vs Peyton manning. Or Kobe vs lebron. Or federer vs djokovic. Mayweather v Alvarez. The lifting competition. The test of speed. The combat barometer. Ugh I just love the idea of which company can make their character the stronger one while remaining in the framework of that characters Mythos and doing it within the realm of a well written well thought and well paces story. I love it so much that it really is the reason I read comics. Maybe it appeals to the testosterone or the aloha male or the competitor in me. Maybe I'm motivated by those things while others may be motivated by subtlety. There's nothing wrong with either. I just come from the camp of "make my superheroes strong. Make my poetry subtle. Make my imagination run wild" idk. I feel like I'm rambling on now. (sorry for any typos. I'm on my iPhone and it loves to change my words)

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By chem86
No Caption Provided

Superman blue were the first comics I ever read, so got a place in my heart for em

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Katrin_Romanoff_004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Has Superman lived for over two millennium?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 the_stegman  Moderator

I usually respect others' opinions..but some reasons here are just plain ridiculous. I will let the "Superman is a boyscott, I don't like him" comments slide...but come on...like Thor just cause he can use magic???

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

both suck, overpowered and boring, the usual top hero combo

Pretty much how I think, except that I like Supes because he stuck to me and still is since I was a kid.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on the marvel movies I find Thor more appealing.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's why Superman is awesome. Nicest guy in the world. I feel that New 52 Superman just doesn't have that.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

That's how the 'Avengers' fight should've went down. :D

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkazrael999:

Hahaha, yeah. But Iron Man's is extremely popular now, so they couldn't have Thor completely obliterate him. Lol.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By WarBlade539

@darkazrael999:

Hahaha, yeah. But Iron Man's is extremely popular now, so they couldn't have Thor completely obliterate him. Lol.

I wish he would've. That would shut up the people who go "OOOH! Tony Stark is sooo cooool! He is Marvel's smartest character. Batman has nothing on him" without ever reading a a single Iron Man comic. :P

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@darkazrael999:

I wish he would've. That would shut up the people who go "OOOH! Tony Stark is sooo cooool! He is Marvel's smartest character. Batman has nothing on him" without ever reading a a single Iron Man comic. :P

Tony is pretty cool you know, and I do think he intellectually superior to Batman. Just by a VERY slim margin though.

theinfinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like them both about the same. i'd say i like superman a little more though because he's basically the reason why i started reading comics.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkazrael999 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@darkazrael999:

Tony is pretty cool you know, and I do think he intellectually superior to Batman. Just by a VERY slim margin though.

He is cool. But for some reason, I just can't stand people who think they know everything about Iron Man or characters in general just by watching the movies and without bothering to read the comic.

As for intelligence, Scientifically...yes, Tony is smarter. On things like tactics and strategy, Batman wins. :)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkazrael999:

Eh, whenever comic book characters become popular through movies, you have badwangoners who jump on trying to show their intensive knowledge about the characters. Lol. And I think Tony has the edge in raw intellect, but Bruce uses his mind more efficiently, and applies it skillfully to real life situations.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkazrael999:

Eh, whenever comic book characters become popular through movies, you have badwangoners who jump on trying to show their intensive knowledge about the characters. Lol. And I think Tony has the edge in raw intellect, but Bruce uses his mind more efficiently, and applies it skillfully to real life situations.

Point.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers