Superman or Action Comics?

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I am currently reading Superman, although from looking at Action Comics #29's preview it looks interesting. This is a question for the people who read both Superman and Action Comics, which do you believe is better, or should I say have more good stories on a good consistency?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deaditegonzo

The mid#20s were weak issues for both. Before that, I preferred Superman. It got so bad around issue 24 (i think) I dropped them for a bit, but im planning on catching up this week. Anyway, since New 52 began, I say Superman. Right at this minute? Hard to say.

I will say, the all around best Superman stories ive read were in SM/WW and the first arc of Superman/Batman.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mid#20s were weak issues for both. Before that, I preferred Superman. It got so bad around issue 24 (i think) I dropped them for a bit, but im planning on catching up this week. Anyway, since New 52 began, I say Superman. Right at this minute? Hard to say.

I will say, the all around best Superman stories ive read were in SM/WW and the first arc of Superman/Batman.

I see. I really did like Superman #11 with the whole speedster alien.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmashBrawler

Anything is better than Superman (except Catwoman, brrr). I'm still amazed a flagship series has managed to stay just as horrible (or even get worse) for two years now but there you go.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything is better than Superman (except Catwoman, brrr). I'm still amazed a flagship series has managed to stay just as horrible (or even get worse) for two years now but there you go.

Damn, lol.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Action Comics. I dropped Superman, Lobdell and his 3rd person omni narration irks me.

"Superman, having had his mind assaulted by Hector Hammond has been having a rough time of late."

Superman: Thought Bubble: "Every since my mind was assaulted by Hector Hammond, times have been rough lately."

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Action Comics

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@New_World_Order: Greg Pak's Action Comics (so start at issue #25) is 999,999,999,999,999,999,999 times better than that Scott Lobdell crap.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action Comics. I dropped Superman, Lobdell and his 3rd person omni narration irks me.

"Superman, having had his mind assaulted by Hector Hammond has been having a rough time of late."

Superman: Thought Bubble: "Every since my mind was assaulted by Hector Hammond, times have been rough lately."

You're goddamn f***ing sh***ing me. Please tell me that was a parody you wrote up. How does this mouth-breathing misogynist hack get work?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wait for Geoff Johns & JRJR's Superman, I honestly dont think Pak's Action is that good.

Avatar image for captaintightpants12
CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Literally anything is better than Scott Lobdell's Superman run. I think Pak's run on Action is really great, though like @allstarsuperman said, if you're only going to read one Superman book, you should be all over the book that Geoff Johns is about to do.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for Geoff Johns & JRJR's Superman, I honestly dont think Pak's Action is that good.

*Hides from hatemail* I hate Romita's art.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

It can be very good to very bad depending on the inker and colorist, I hope it comes out good.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deaditegonzo

@deaditegonzo said:

@allstarsuperman said:

It can be very good to very bad depending on the inker and colorist, I hope it comes out good.

I also find Johns to be a mixed bag when it comes to characters he doesnt love. Like, he is good at GL, Aquaman, and Flash, but he was up and down with Supes in Justice League. "I'll have Aquaman punch Superman across the city to show how cool he is!"

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By PeppeyHare

Action comics by a landslide

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: that whole arc was meant to show how awesome Aqua man supposedly is. I claim PIS.... Johns pre-Flashpoit Superman was really good though.

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

Haven't read nether of them in a long time, but Superman: UnChained is by far fantastic. Check it out whenever you get the chance.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read nether of them in a long time, but Superman: UnChained is by far fantastic. Check it out whenever you get the chance.

If you can ever find any new issues! Ha-ha-ha :P

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

@deaditegonzo: As far as I know only 5 issues came out and I think their was suppose to be more, so i don't know if their continuing it or ending it short lol.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

GAH!!!!

Narrative "Bieschneeman suffers Brain Anneuryism in his brain having just the quotes above, It seems to him he will not won't be the same every again"

Bierschneeman: Thought Bubble: "Having had my brain anneuryism as of lately, I might be will want to get it checked out later, in the future"

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerd_of_a_hero said:

Well yeah, Superman Unchained is the best book in print at DC right now, but it's not an on-going book. It's about to end.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MakkyD

@allstarsuperman said:

@deaditegonzo said:

@allstarsuperman said:

I also find Johns to be a mixed bag when it comes to characters he doesnt love. Like, he is good at GL, Aquaman, and Flash, but he was up and down with Supes in Justice League. "I'll have Aquaman punch Superman across the city to show how cool he is!"

Johns seems to write characters better in solos so hopefully he'll do that here.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Lvenger

Either switch to Action Comics which thrives on strong characterisation, Superman Unchained which tells a great thematically challenging Superman story or wait for Johns to come on board Superman. The New 52 Superman series has been appalling ever since it started. Poor writing, mismanaged communication between editors, inconsistencies galore and overall poor story telling have created a dreadful Superman series. Action Comics is a much better ongoing series and Unchained is telling a really good story thus far.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By z3ro180

I dropped superman because it got really bad really fast. Whitch is a shame because I was really looking forward to lobdell writing the title.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Superman is one of the weakest titles DC has to currently offer.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'd say go for Superman Unchained. If Jim Lee ever gets his art in on time, the next issue may even come out someday. That said, it's a good storyline.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaintightpants12: The...the best? I love it but I'm not crazy. You must not read many DC books, new guy.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and if you're thinking of getting Unchained now, I'd say wait. It's only 9 issues and 6 will be out soon-ish. The delays have really hurt the overall story, but if you read it in trade, I'm convinced that it will be one of Superman's best stories.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action superman/wonder woman unchained batman/superman superman in that order imo

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed action comics way more than the superman run thus far.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: DC is mostly what I read actually, haha. I've got my pull-list on my lists and I've had them all since #1. Only Wonder Woman and Snyder's Batman is in Unchained's league.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaintightpants12: Also Pak's Action Comics and Batman/Superman are up there. Anything by Charles Soule as well (SM/WW, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing). There are some others too, but I'll leave it at that.

CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I love the Lemire Green Arrow run with a passion, he's never been better, but I need to see how Outsiders War concludes before I can put it with those three. It's right there though. Top five at least, probably #4 right this moment with Unchained-Batman-Wonder Woman coming before it.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

Green Arrow.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I love the Lemire Green Arrow run with a passion, he's never been better, but I need to see how Outsiders War concludes before I can put it with those three. It's right there though. Top five at least, probably #4 right this moment with Unchained-Batman-Wonder Woman coming before it.

Meh. Unchained is a good story (in trade I think it will be one of his best) but I don't think it could ever touch Green Arrow's level. Lemire is showing you mythology-building at it's best. Never been done so well since Geoff Johns started writing Green Lantern.

Green Arrow.

Lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@the_stegman said:

You're goddamn f***ing sh***ing me. Please tell me that was a parody you wrote up. How does this mouth-breathing misogynist hack get work?

I knew Lobdell was a dick and a crappy writer, but he's a misogynist too?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Action Comics is becoming one of DC's best titles since Pak and Kuder took over.

Leave it to the New52 DC to surprise the reader :-P

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@jaken7 said:

@the_stegman said:

I knew Lobdell was a dick and a crappy writer, but he's a misogynist too?

Starfire.

Also MariNaomi.

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/marinaomi-harassed-comics-panel

http://comicsbeat.com/scott-lobdell-i-apologize-to-marinaomi/

DC doesn't mind if their writers admit to sexual harassment of women in the industry.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the answers everyone, I may switch to Action Comics now.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers