Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@rustyroy said:

@squalleon said:

@rustyroy You told us to tag you when it was finished. What do you think? :)

Thanks for the tag, and its awesome, great job guys.

Our pleasure. Its nice to know, we meet your expectations :)

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rustyroy said:

@squalleon said:

Our pleasure. Its nice to know, we meet your expectations :)

Its even better than what I expected.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@scouterv said:

"...a character that would fight back against corrupt landlords, greedy criminals and sleazy politicians for the rights of the common man. That character was the hero recognised as the iconic and legendary paragon of moral virtue and upstanding humanitarian goodness..."

It's a shame that a character that follows these guidelines is considered "boring" these days.

But that aside, (also minor spelling error on "recognized" in there,) I thought this was an awesome blog post and I think it really gets across a lot of what people are saying. If you can read all this and not like Superman, that's one thing. I just think people should be informed before they say things like "this character is boring," or "OP."

Fantastic work. I'm looking forward to reading some Superman volumes when I get some money flowing.

I'm British so I spell recognised differently to you Americans :P But thanks for getting the message of our blog and what we were trying to get across. We were trying to inform people about what the character was really like for those not so familiar with him or non fans/critics of the character. And what volumes are you gonna read then? :)

@rustyroy said:

@squalleon said:

Glad you were impressed by it RR :)

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

That's a really cool Article. And i really love Superman.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By godzilla44

Great post loved how you broke down into sections

No Caption Provided

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I was thinking of doing Action Comics Volume one, really. (I like reading books in order,) and working forward from there.

MikeyJ122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only speak for myself, but my problems with Superman is, he is boring. I say that as someone who used to really like Superman. I grew up on the Christopher Reeve movies, hell I even loved Superman 4 (until I got older and watched it again.) I used to love the show Lois and Clark, I watched it every Sunday. I even bought every issue of "The death of Superman" run that I could find. But what really turned me off is his boring factor. The man behind the suit, Clark Kent, is probably the most boring guy you could ever meet. He is such a goodie two shoes. He isn't the kind of guy I would like to hang out with in real life. I wish I could hang out with Logan or Peter Parker or even Bruce Wayne would be cool, but not Clark. I just don't relate to the character anymore. Superman has amazing powers, no doubt about it. But the whole boyscout routine just doesn't do it for me. Marvel has their boyscout as well in Cap, and he is one of my least favorite Avengers tbh, but his last movie was pretty awesome. I just prefer more of the good yet bad type of good guy, but that's just me. Having said that, Superman has without a doubt earned his place on the MT Rushmore of Superheros, along with Bats, Wolverine, and Spidey. All things considered, they have to be the big 4. Even The Hulk hasn't been able to carry a film franchise like Wolvie or Spidey (quality not included, lol).

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Squalleon

@drfate said:

Thanks a lot for the kind words :D

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@scouterv said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Great blog guys! I don't think that there are Superman haters or anything here on CV, even though at times users like that pop out, or that Superman ain't that popular anymore, it's just that it seems like Superman's time has passed and now the most popular characters that get the most attention are Batman,Spider-Man and probably Wolverine. Superman seems to be something old-fashioned in recent days while Batman seems to be the most modern thing that the writers and the fans want and like.

In all honesty, I can't remember when those guys weren't popular. As a kid I was huge into Wolverine and Spidey, in particular. I didn't give much thought to Superman until I started watching his Animated series, and even then, my favorite character in the DCAU was Static, (but that's because he was the most relatable for me.) Supes was up there though.

They were always popular but they weren't just as popular as today(or at least Wolverine wasn't). They were popular but in the end of the day the Man of Steel was always on the top while they were underneath him but nowadays Batman seems to be at the top followed closely by Spider-Man. Things have changed and the main reason of why SUperman isn't that popular is the DC staff.

@scouterv said:

@tdk_1997: There are many hate threads spawning here and there. I really think Superman's drop from popularity has to do with his recent portrayals in movies and comics. As you said the most popular characters right now are the ones that have successfull movie franchise's behind them and successfull comics. Even MoS which was controversial gave some fans an interest to read Superman. Anyway I digress, Superman lately had many low showings, from Superman returns to how DC uses him as either a punching bag to make an example of how strong the opponent is or with the constant reboots and direction changes that haven't allowed Superman's universe to being fleshed out and expand. I don't really have a problem with the drop from popularity as much as the ignorance surrounding some people when it comes to Superman.

I think the Reboots hit Supes pretty hard, because he seems to share this space of being a priority, and not being a priority at the same time. Like how they kept and noted many Batman and some big Lantern plot points to have taken place, I don't think they did nearly as good a job in keeping parts of Supermans' history in check. The Death of Superman has a lot of people wondering if it still happened and how, from what I gather.

The reboot managed to hit a lot of characters' previous history and most of their old fans are beyond disappointed and Superman is one of those characters. The staff of DC doesn't seem to know what they want Superman to be like and what they should keep from his pre-New 52 counterpart and that is a big problem. Everything about him was reinvented and that hurt his character a lot, Hal Jordan and Batman fans aren't disappointed because of the old things about the characters stuck and were never erased, the only problem they have is that it is unclear when did all of those things exactly happen.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate said:

Glad to have a fellow Superman fan read this piece :)

No Caption Provided

Thanks, we wanted to make sure that several different topics and points of contention/interest were covered. Including areas where people say stuff like "Superman doesn't matter" or "He's too overpowered." Stuff like that.

@scouterv said:

@lvenger: I was thinking of doing Action Comics Volume one, really. (I like reading books in order,) and working forward from there.

The New 52 volume? That is some good stuff despite the occasional Golden Age roughness. Morrison does at least blend a modern and Golden Age takes on Superman quite well along with standing up for the downtrodden more. Despite a rocky start, the New 52 Superman line has evolved into being much better than it was. Johns, Pak and even Snyder (despite the fact he was supposed to be finished months ago) make for a good collection of Superman writers.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Why Superman matters to me. I enjoy his comics.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the end of the day, that's all it truly matters :P

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rev_sulphur said:

Hear hear. So have you read Superman 34 yet? I haven't gotten my copy yet so I'm still in the dark.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

@rev_sulphur said:

Hear hear. So have you read Superman 34 yet? I haven't gotten my copy yet so I'm still in the dark.

I did. It's awesome. We get more background on Ulysses, more details on his powers, more bonding between characters, some awesome action, the motive of the Machinist and a shocking (really, it was unexpected and I really felt shocked) ending :D

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

@rev_sulphur said:

I did. It's awesome. We get more background on Ulysses, more details on his powers, more bonding between characters, some awesome action, the motive of the Machinist and a shocking (really, it was unexpected and I really felt shocked) ending :D

Oh damn I better not spoil myself till I read this issue. It sounds awesome! I was going to miss this one due to Unchained originally solicited for August 27th but with that issue moving along with Wonder Woman, I could get this issue instead. And it sounds like it'll be worth the wait! :D

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SmashBrawler

Excellent stuff, guys. When I heard that you two were making this blog I couldn't wait to see the results and honestly, you didn't disappoint.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent stuff, guys. When I heard that you too were making this blog I couldn't wait to see the results and honeslty, you didn't disappoint.

Thanks a lot mate :D Its nice to know we meet the expectations of more demanding viners like yourself.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Lvenger

Excellent stuff, guys. When I heard that you too were making this blog I couldn't wait to see the results and honeslty, you didn't disappoint.

Thanks very much for the praise, I'm glad our little post met the expectations of site regulars like yourself :)

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SmashBrawler

Oh my, that was some really awful spelling.

@lvenger: @squalleon: No problem, keep up the good work! Also, your responses were eerily similar.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler: You only misspelt honestly so it's not that bad :P

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: @squalleon: No problem, keep up the good work! Also, your responses were eerily similar.

Its time to come out and say it. We are the same person. Yes I feel so lonely that I made Squalleon as an alt :'(

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smashbrawler said:

Its time to come out and say it. We are the same person. Yes I feel so lonely that I made Squalleon as an alt :'(

(Said in robotic voice) We are one. Resistance is futile. Submit or die.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

@smashbrawler said:

(Said in the same robotic voice) All your base are belong to us.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

@smashbrawler said:

(Said in the same robotic voice) All your base are belong to us.

LOL nice.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.