Superman is the worst, most overrated character of all time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

myrongains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By myrongains

Superman is only popular because he is the first superhero. Once we get passed this, all we get is poor storytelling and feeble character development.

All superman comics are boring because we know he will always outpower his opponents. Whenever a more powerful opponent comes along, superman suddenly gains powers that the writers randomly made up.

Every superman comic plot revolves around how superman has amazing powers - no one cares that superman has the ability to destroy an entire galaxy by sneezing.

Here are good characters with good writing

- batman

- spiderman

- wolverine

- goku

Might as well rename superman pre retcon beyonder because thats who superman will turn into in a few years.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol why people make these threads.If you think Superman is overpowered/rated,get a clue

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Goku? isn't he just a japanese superman who in the end always ends up the winner? and Batman is even worse than superman, he beats people he shouldn't all the time and never loses.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myrongains: Maan Goku always grows stronger whenever new foes show up also.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku? isn't he just a japanese superman who in the end always ends up the winner? and Batman is even worse than superman, he beats people he shouldn't all the time and never loses.

No Goku has lost his fair share of fights.

hyperbertha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wrong. While I have no problems with Superman (except his overused speedblitz nonsense in debates) Batman is a better character with more character development and depth.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

sure.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AllStarSuperman
No Caption Provided

myrongains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By myrongains

@supremehyperion: no. At least goku struggles, loses, gets killed. He then trains like hell.

On the other hand superman just randomly gains powers

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Dragonborn_CT
No Caption Provided

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Deadgod

sigh first try reading some Superman comics since going by your troll rant you obviously decided to base your opinion over couple of silver age feats you heard off . All Star Superman, Red Son , Birthright, Kingdom Come , For the Man who has everything, Whatever happened to Man of Tomorrow & tons of others are easily available

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Jphu8414

ah the classic ignorant anti-supes argument from a hater

Go out and actually read a good Superman comic my friend

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#14  Edited By Outside_85

Odd, all the complaints brought against Superman seems very much like the ones I have against Goku, bad character, schizophrenic personality that flips between moron and serious, bad stories, constantly ramping up his already ridiculous powerlevel, boring fights. One thing Goku does much worse however; hair.

And lets not forget Goku was the guy who had a cartoon where an entire episode could pass with characters standing watching each other and trying to out-growl each other. Say what you like about Superman's animated ventures, but at-least stuff happened in all of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: You know how he says that Superman is only popular because he was the first superhero?

I'm convinced DBZ is only as popular as it is because it's the first anime a lot of people saw.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Haha.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

myrongains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this isnt a goku vs superman thread.

But at least goku learns all the techniques he used. E.g. he learned the solar flare from tien, kamehameha from master roshi etc etc etc

What fighting technique has superman learned?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have an idea, next time someone makes a thread like this lets ignore it!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20  Edited By Outside_85

@xwraith said:

@outside_85: You know how he says that Superman is only popular because he was the first superhero?

Which isn't true, John Carter (Warlord of Mars) predates Superman by something like a decade. So Superman is popular, because he is actually a popular character and has been popular for close to 80 years (though DC's stomping of competitors and staving off the grand-kids of his creators probably help).

myrongains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By myrongains

@xwraith: well thats true. You have animes like ghost fighter that are good but not as well known as dbz because dbz was the first anime most people have seen.

Also the original dragon ball with kid goku is a million times better than dbz because all the characters were relevant, had funny dialogue and great storylines. It wasnt all about power levels.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myrongains:

Look man I love Dragonball and DBZ and I have since I was like 5 or 6 and no offense but these type of threads make some of us more nonbiased fans look very bad and give us a bad reputation. Just look at the comments, out of all the people you listed as "better" the focus is mainly on goku , we obviously already have a bad rep among many comic fans so lets try not to make it worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that you brought up Goku means either you are a Troll or ignorant about DBZ. Also all the hate on DBZ in this thread is stupid.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myrongains: do you know Superman have received training from Mongul Jr ,WildCat , Batman & Wonderwoman . Have trained for 1000 years in Valhalla. knows 7 different forms of Martial Arts including Kryptonian one , knows Torquasm-Rao and Torquasm-Vo. , knows pressure points & have owned Gor in H2H combat & also he's very smart so he's not a slouch

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

The fact that you brought up Goku means either you are a Troll or ignorant about DBZ. Also all the hate on DBZ in this thread is stupid.

Yeah all the hate is irritating, I see a lot of superman wanking/fanboys on the internet but I don't go around hating on superman because he has some (like all works of fiction do) extremely biased fans.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People say Goku's power is ridiculous but he trains to get to that level of power he doesnt just wake up with it and you cant forget many years pass in between storylines also.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

@farkam said:

Yeah all the hate is irritating, I see a lot of superman wanking/fanboys on the internet but I don't go around hating on superman because he has some (like all works of fiction do) extremely biased fans.

I understand that Goku and DBZ is not for everyone, but hating on a character because of their fanbase is childish. Trying to downplay DBZ's success and impact on readers/watchers is also bloody stupid.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

No Caption Provided

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@blade_r said:

@farkam said:

I understand that Goku and DBZ is not for everyone, but hating on a character because of their fanbase is childish. Trying to downplay DBZ's success and impact on readers/watchers is also bloody stupid.

My thoughts exactly, obviously not everybody is going to like it but disliking it simply because of some fans is indeed childish, and yeah trying to downplay DBZ's success and impact is also dumb, hate it or love it its kind of undeniable that its a successful series

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30 JediXMan  Moderator

Superman is not about growth and learning. He's meant to be a symbol of power, idealism, and heroism. Like many DC characters, he is held to a mythological status, basically appearing like a god to lesser heroes and humans. The Justice League stands on Mt. Olympus passing judgement on those beneath them. But Superman still has his humanity, because he was raised by humans. So he doesn't use his power to rule, but to help. There's a reason the game was called "Injustice: Gods Among Us." It's all basically a callback to Greek mythology.

All you need to do is look at the imagery, then you understand what he essentially is.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure whatever you say dude...

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman said:

Superman is not about growth and learning. He's meant to be a symbol of power, idealism, and heroism. Like many DC characters, he is held to a mythological status, basically appearing like a god to lesser heroes and humans. The Justice League stands on Mt. Olympus passing judgement on those beneath them. But Superman still has his humanity, because he was raised by humans. So he doesn't use his power to rule, but to help. There's a reason the game was called "Injustice: Gods Among Us." It's all basically a callback to Greek mythology.

All you need to do is look at the imagery, then you understand what he essentially is.

No Caption Provided

There's also a reason why the most recent movie is called DBZ: Battle of the Gods also

No Caption Provided

Not trying to be sacrilegious just saying similar things can be said about Goku and the Z fighters, even Kami's lookout could be considered their Mt.Olympus

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

This is sad.

@sc: @saren: Could one of you lock this? (And sc, I can't tag you for some time now? what's happening?)