• 64 results
#1 Posted by acer51 (2253 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this belongs in the Superman forum and that G-man made an article addressing this issue but I have to add my two cents, I have to get this off my chest.

Now I've never been a huge Superman fan, being the Archetype Superhero I found him a little boring and little dull, without personality, but I always respected him. Without Superman there would be no Spiderman, no modern Batman and no Comicvine. I found him boring because he was perfect - sure that didn't help make him relatable but it also defined him he was morally above all other heroes he was a symbol of freedom justice and the American way. And maybe he still is, maybe he is still a freedom of the American way. Has our hero simply darkened with us, is he so much of a symbol of America that he reflects us to the point if we darken he darkens as well?

Is this what we've done have we lowered ourselves to the point of having comics greatest symbol of good turned a selfish neglectful brat? Somone who will stand by and let people die? Somone who would be willing to kill a man?!

The Superman who we once knew is dead, I will miss him, he was a hero.

The new Superman is here, he will give you all....what you deserve. Long live Superman.

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with everything you said. I have always found Superman dull, but I respect him for being the paragon of hope and truth that he is. DC is starting to try make him more dark in an attempt to get him to get his spot as the world's most popular hero (which Batman has ascended to), and it's destroying Supes character. I'll see what Superman fans have to say in this thread.

#3 Edited by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@acer51 said:

Is this what we've done have we lowered ourselves to the point of having comics greatest symbol of good turned a selfish neglectful brat?

What--

Somone who will stand by and let people die?

When--

Somone who would be willing to kill a man?!

The f*** am I reading? What movie did you watch, boy? OK, I'll clarify some things here:

• When was he a "selfish neglectful brat"? I mean seriously, you really threw me off here. Just because his powers were painful or something? Was there something else I missed?
  • This never happens in the movie either. Does he not save many people? Sure. Does he even cause some wanton destruction in Smallville? Yeah. But just stand by and let people die? Da fuq?
  • Oh yeah, kill one person so 6 billion can live. Superman is such a monster

Also, I like the non fans complaining. You should read a comic called What's so Funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way/watch a movie called Superman vs The Elite. I'm not even being snarky there, you people really should check those out (both are essentially the same thing).

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

If you guys actually read Superman comics you'd know that whole "Perfect Paragon" thing hasn't been him in over 30 years, that started and ended during the Silver Age. I'm not saying he's some anti-hero but seriously if you aren't going to actually get to know the character then your opinion of him simply doesn't matter.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Superman is still a paragon of truth and hope... isn't that the point of his character?

#6 Posted by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

@lolzstastic:

Cursing and calling somebody a "boy" isn't going to enlighten them.

#7 Edited by joshmightbe (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Yes but he's not this perfect god all his detractors keep claiming him to be, some times he gets emotional and some times he makes mistakes and even has the occasional moral lapse because he is an actual character and not some two dimensional space filler.

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

True, but if Superman starts having moral lapes at every impulse, then the character is being destroyed.

#9 Edited by joshmightbe (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: He doesn't have them all the time, at least he didn't before all the kids started demanding that everyone be Batman.

#10 Edited by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: OK, I'll be polite and edit my cursing but I won't edit my condescending term, no need to take everything away from me.

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

I do find it really ironic though that this younger generation that basically killed My Superman is now bitching about him pretty much starting to become what they've been screaming for him to become. It kind of pisses me off that the same people who were so upset that he was a symbol of hope are now mad that they're taking that away from him.

You people did this to him, its your fault so you have no right to bitch and that's my honest opinion.

#12 Posted by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I don't remember Superman having moral lapses on anything except this movie and some comics (not the ones where he kills) released years before the movie. I think some people are seriously overreacting. If the movie mattered so much they wouldn't be releasing a comic where he makes kissy faces with Wonder Woman, they'd be releasing a comic where he makes kissy faces with a redheaded Lois Lane.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman losing what he is not due to this new generation. It is due to DC paranoidly thinking that to get Superman to reclaim his spot as most popular superhero from Batman, they need to make Superman more like Batman. The new generation is not at fault for DC's capricious decisions.

#14 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Superman would kill all of these topics...

#15 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I didn't think it was that bad, I certainly don't remember him being selfish. Always thought they were setting up the "real" Superman for the sequel and based on some interviews I've read it seems I'm right.

#16 Edited by joshmightbe (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: You're generation is the group that keeps confirming this by buying it, not talking about you specifically but your generation is the one they market to, they've made it abundantly clear that old fans like me don't matter so its your generation's purchasing habits that decide the direction the company goes.

#17 Posted by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd pay to find out the amount of Superman comics everybody with the usual gripes about the character has actually read in their lives.

#18 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@laserlambert said:

That's one killing spree I'd support. I'm getting a goddamned headache out of these.

#19 Posted by joshmightbe (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

@jldoom: I was more referring to the New 52 comics but maybe DC will follow suit with the new Marvel where the movies are actually treating the characters with far more respect than the actual comics are.

#20 Edited by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Superman is still selling well in these times even with this new generation, and there was really no need to change anything about Supes character. DC is 100% at blame for the situation they have put Superman in right now.

#21 Posted by SOG7dc (7798 posts) - - Show Bio

@acer51: You my teacher in highschool

Once showed us a video wherein an older woman(probably in her 90s) some bout a murder being front page news and she said something that broke my heart "murders were a big deal back then. Even the worst of us respected life" it speaks to how much we have changed A's a society and how so much more is tolerated today than it was a century ago

#22 Posted by turoksonofstone (13200 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: He's been selling horribly for being Superman. Starting to get a little better now though. Wanna guess why?

#24 Posted by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler said:

@laserlambert said:

That's one killing spree I'd support. I'm getting a goddamned headache out of these.

Seriously I've gotten stomachaches from reading this crap. For the first time in comic to movie adaptation, hell in the history of ACTION MOVIES, the hero finally feels bad when he killed the bad guy, and doesn't just utter a sigh of relief. and this is all people are talking about?

#26 Posted by lolzstastic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: New 52 and MOS, obviously (and the newest titles because everyone loves a shiny new #1). ALthough the reboot didn't help that much since Supes' flagship title started with quite a shitty run.

#27 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5602 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a way better character now than the boring , cornball he has been in the past. Some of you act like he needs his own book in the freaking Bible lol, my symbol of hope didn't wear his underpants on the outside for 75 years jeez! I'm not saying I want him to be a chain smoking alcoholic coke head psycho, but adding a wrinkle or two to flesh out the character isn't bad.

#28 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler said:

@laserlambert said:

Seriously I've gotten stomachaches from reading this crap. For the first time in comic to movie adaptation, hell in the history of ACTION MOVIES, the hero finally feels bad when he killed the bad guy, and doesn't just utter a sigh of relief. and this is all people are talking about?

I typed up a lengthy response but about midway through I just thought AGH WHO CARES. Superman is not dull and boring, he is not 'darkening', he is not a 'neglectful selfish brat' or someone who murders without care. People need to start picking up Superman books before making judgment calls, and consider the film in its context before labeling one incarnation of the character to have completely destroyed everything he stands for.

#29 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Are people referring to the movie or the Superman in the comics? I am genuinely confused here.

#30 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Are people referring to the movie or the Superman in the comics? I am genuinely confused here.

I think they are taking about both, but I think it's more about Supes's personality as of late versus his iconic boyscout persona that we all know.

Ugh....all these threads that spawned from Justice League 22, Injustice, and Man of Steel.

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34258 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

I think they are taking about both, but I think it's more about Supes's personality as of late versus his iconic boyscout persona that we all know.

Ugh....all these threads that spawned from Justice League 22, Injustice, and Man of Steel.

Well it's not surprising, having Superman kill in every form of media regardless of context will do that

#32 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx said:
@lykopis said:

Well it's not surprising, having Superman kill in every form of media regardless of context will do that

I know, but the mass quantity of threads solely based on it are just getting out of hand.

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34258 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:
@thegreyoutcastx said:
@lykopis said:

I know, but the mass quantity of threads solely based on it are just getting out of hand.

There isn't any more than there is "We Hate Superior Spider-Man" threads

#34 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegreyoutcastx said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@thegreyoutcastx said:
@lykopis said:

Don't remind me......

#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34258 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:
@thegreyoutcastx said:
@jonny_anonymous said:
@thegreyoutcastx said:
@lykopis said:

Don't remind me......

haha

#36 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Ah, okay, thanks. I am relatively new to the whole Superman thing and so far, I don't have a problem with him. Granted, I understand why older fans might be upset about him changing (if that is what's really happening here) but I do remember reading criticism on the character for being too Boy Scoutish and not with the times. Personally, I would really hope he doesn't go the Batman route -- there's lots of ways to make a character deeper and darker through introspection but still keep the values he has alive. Between the two (Batman and Superman), I lean more towards Superman so if he was to become like Batman, I don't see myself enjoying his character.

#37 Posted by joshmightbe (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: He hasn't been the cornball character you speak of since about mid way through COIE

#38 Edited by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:
@laserlambert said:

@smashbrawler said:

@laserlambert said:

I typed up a lengthy response but about midway through I just thought AGH WHO CARES. Superman is not dull and boring, he is not 'darkening', he is not a 'neglectful selfish brat' or someone who murders without care. People need to start picking up Superman books before making judgment calls, and consider the film in its context before labeling one incarnation of the character to have completely destroyed everything he stands for.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of this topic in general. I've already talked about this, it's been done, whatever, I just don't want to talk about it anymore.

#39 Posted by ccraft (5490 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not like Superman in MoS killed Zod to show how bada** he was. Imagine what would happen if the director wrote the ending where Superman didn't kill Zod and he was sent back to the Phantom Zone, how boring would that be? If things didn't happen the way it happened the movie wouldn't have all this debate or conversation on this Superman controversy. It wouldn't have made a huge impact on the MoS franchise if Superman didn't kill him, imo.

I'm not saying I'm in favor for Heroes to start killing, but for some reason I don't care to much when it happens in a film.

Why is it always the non Superman fans who make these threads? It's kind of confusing, or are they just trying to get people in here to debate, very sneaky...

#40 Posted by Teerack (7356 posts) - - Show Bio

The op started off saying they were never a big superman fan, and then ended it with "i'll miss superman" lol okay sure you will.

#41 Posted by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack:

You don't have to be a fan to respect him. Stop being so supercilious.

#42 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I do find it really ironic though that this younger generation that basically killed My Superman is now bitching about him pretty much starting to become what they've been screaming for him to become. It kind of pisses me off that the same people who were so upset that he was a symbol of hope are now mad that they're taking that away from him.

You people did this to him, its your fault so you have no right to bitch and that's my honest opinion.

Yeah...a certain breed seems to have a problem with this generation's Superman.

I think our fictional heroes are supposed to reflect the state of society and the American society is pretty dark right now.

All of it really.

#43 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

*Facepalm*

The amount of ignorance in that post is astonishing...Sorry man, Superman hasn't died. He has never been perfect and he has killed before...Get a grip...

#44 Posted by Teerack (7356 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Nothing to do with being superior. If someone pretends to care about something I find it funny.

#45 Edited by XImpossibruX (5183 posts) - - Show Bio

@acer51 said:

Somone who would be willing to kill a man?!

The Superman who we once knew is dead, I will miss him, he was a hero.

The new Superman is here, he will give you all....what you deserve. Long live Superman.

There are no words.

#46 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux: The no killing thing is a big aspect of his character though. For him to kill 3 times this year across different media isn't the best way to celebrate his legacy IMO.

#47 Posted by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@ximpossibrux: The no killing thing is a big aspect of his character though. For him to kill 3 times this year across different media isn't the best way to celebrate his legacy IMO.

This.

#48 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5602 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I know but people are going on here like they SA Supes back.

#49 Edited by Wolverine08 (44969 posts) - - Show Bio

Instead of you guys calling the OP ignorant, and facepalming him, why don't you guys try understand the message he is trying to get across, and see things from his point of view. Oh, does that require too much maturity from you guys?

#50 Posted by joshmightbe (25002 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: I don't want SA Superman back I just don't want Superman to be Batman