Superman and Batman (Respect Thread)

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

Edited By flazam

So On most if not every "Top 10 Favorite Heroes" There is either Superman or Batman or Both.

So in This Thread I want to Know why you Love these Characters (Or Not)

I will go Though My Thoughts and My Favorite Version of There Costume and My Favorite Interpretations.

Superman

My Favorite Version of His Costume (From Superman Earth One)
My Favorite Version of His Costume (From Superman Earth One)

My Favorite Interpretation:

• All Star Superman (2006)
  • New 52 Action Comics (2011-)
  • Superman Earth One (2010)

Reasons I like Him

• He is the most Iconic Character
  • I love His Origin
  • Iconic Costume
  • Heroic Personality
  • Interesting Villains
  • One of the Only Really Powerful Character who "Works it"
  • Fantastic Quotes
  • 3 Great Films
  • Iconic Locations

Batman

Injustice Comic Batman Costume
Injustice Comic Batman Costume

My Favorite Interpretations:

• New 52 Batman (2011-)
  • New 52 Batman Inc. (2012-2013)
  • Original Detective Comics (1960's)

Reasons I like Him

• He Is Iconic
  • Great Costume Design
  • Fantastic Supporting Characters
  • Bruce Wayne is Epic
  • Coolest Side Kick ever
  • Epic Locations
  • 5 Great Films
  • Countless Epic Runs
  • The Best Villains EVER
  • Badass Personality
  • Loads of Epic Video Games
  • He's BATMAN!!

So Why Do You Like Them?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Everything about them makes me like them...

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Batman is my second favorite superhero (Wolverine will always be number one for me!) I greatly respect Batman's willpower. Once he sets his mind on a mission, you'll have to kill him to stop him because he'll never give up. I also respect Batman's altruism towards his city of Batman. He has dedicated his whole life to making change in his city through any means. Also, his fighting skills, detective skills, and dark persona are badass!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Superman is the perfect representation of the best attributes of humanity rolled into a single character and is a reminder that we are always capable of bettering ourselves and striving for better. That's why he's my all time favourite fictional character. Batman is my second favourite because of the insurmountable task he has set himself. It is because of what he suffered and the tragic change in his life that gave Batman the gritted determination to carry the fight against crime in Gotham no matter what the cost to himself.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trollheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Trollheim
@lvenger said:

Superman is the perfect representation of the best attributes of humanity rolled into a single character and is a reminder that we are always capable of bettering ourselves and striving for better.

Is he really though? I feel like Superman is less like a Jesus figure, and more like Yahweh - a fickle arrogant God who throws a fit if things don't go his way. Seriously, Superman is fine judging humanity when he's more powerful than it and can stop any threats coming his way, looking like a serious golden boy when he's in a good mood, but when his friends or family are hurt or killed, we see the true Kal-El come on... the Kal-El willing to kill and enslave the human race "for their own good". We see this with the numerous "evil" Supermen figures (alternate Earths, Justice Lords, Injustice, etc), the ones who are just like Superman except that in their world, someone close to them was killed. The only thing that keeps our Superman on the side of righteous is that he has yet to have an event like that happen to him.

In reality, Batman is the one who is the best of humanity. He's willing to devote himself body and soul for his quest for justice and do what is best for Gotham/humanity. He does not put himself above humanity, but he walks among us as one of us. Batman succeeds because he made himself what he is... he wasn't born a man who could challenge gods, he pulled himself up to that level, while still retaining his humanity.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lvenger

Is he really though? I feel like Superman is less like a Jesus figure, and more like Yahweh - a fickle arrogant God who throws a fit if things don't go his way. Seriously, Superman is fine judging humanity when he's more powerful than it and can stop any threats coming his way, looking like a serious golden boy when he's in a good mood, but when his friends or family are hurt or killed, we see the true Kal-El come on... the Kal-El willing to kill and enslave the human race "for their own good". We see this with the numerous "evil" Supermen figures (alternate Earths, Justice Lords, Injustice, etc), the ones who are just like Superman except that in their world, someone close to them was killed. The only thing that keeps our Superman on the side of righteous is that he has yet to have an event like that happen to him.

In reality, Batman is the one who is the best of humanity. He's willing to devote himself body and soul for his quest for justice and do what is best for Gotham/humanity. He does not put himself above humanity, but he walks among us as one of us. Batman succeeds because he made himself what he is... he wasn't born a man who could challenge gods, he pulled himself up to that level, while still retaining his humanity.

Seriously? You're saying Batman is the best of humanity? Batman constantly tries to put himself above humanity as the self appointed protector of Gotham. Superman is far more human and moral than Batman is. The flaws in this post are really something. Superman is by far the more righteous, morally sound character than Batman. Batman is always teetering on the edge of becoming what he fights against. Superman strives to be better than he already is. The alternate Supermen are just that. Alternate versions. They don't hold a candle to the real deal in their morality in the slightest. Besides, DC majorly cater to Batman to avoid offending the Batwankers and Bat Fanboys. In reality, it's Batman who is more likely to go off the deep end than Superman. So, in reality, I'll think you'll find it's the alien who is far more human than Batman.

Trollheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@lvenger said:

The alternate Supermen are just that. Alternate versions.

"Our" Superman, the one talking, is on the left. The whole premise of Injustice is that isn't a different Superman, but the same Superman at a divergent point in time based on whether Joker did or did not succeed in his plot.

As far as Batman going off the deep end, it has happened before in alternate universes, but less often than Superman. Even in the case where the Justice Lord Batman was "bad", he eventually came around after talking it out with our Earth's Batman.

Lastly, yes, Bruce Wayne makes Batman a symbol for humanity, but he doesn't make himself, the man, more than humanity. He gives them an ideal without making himself a figure to be worshiped. Batman is still one of us, just as you say he constantly fights to not become what his enemies are, but that's a good thing. Superman doesn't question himself, so when he goes wrong, he goes really wrong, as he has absolute faith that he's in the right, even if he isn't. That's what makes it so difficult for Batman to fall, because he's constantly questioning and doubting even himself.

Batman is the hero humanity needs, showing us just how much one man can do. That one man can make a difference.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I just love all the history behind both of the characters, 70+ years each, the fact that they are very different but both fight for the same end cause. They will always be the two biggest comic book characters, much like Porsche and Ferrari will always be the greatest sports car makers in the world.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Our" Superman, the one talking, is on the left. The whole premise of Injustice is that isn't a different Superman, but the same Superman at a divergent point in time based on whether Joker did or did not succeed in his plot.

As far as Batman going off the deep end, it has happened before in alternate universes, but less often than Superman. Even in the case where the Justice Lord Batman was "bad", he eventually came around after talking it out with our Earth's Batman.

Lastly, yes, Bruce Wayne makes Batman a symbol for humanity, but he doesn't make himself, the man, more than humanity. He gives them an ideal without making himself a figure to be worshiped. Batman is still one of us, just as you say he constantly fights to not become what his enemies are, but that's a good thing. Superman doesn't question himself, so when he goes wrong, he goes really wrong, as he has absolute faith that he's in the right, even if he isn't. That's what makes it so difficult for Batman to fall, because he's constantly questioning and doubting even himself.

Batman is the hero humanity needs, showing us just how much one man can do. That one man can make a difference.

I disapprove of the whole premise of Injustice. Namely because of one Superman story, Ending Battle, where Manchester Black invaded Superman's mind, convinced him that his enemies knew who he was and that Black had killed Lois. Even then, Superman refused to kill Black. And then Black's illusion was undone, resulting in his suicide

Oh please Brother Eye is a fine example of how Batman can go off the deep end. Not to mention Tower of Babel. Batman's paranoia is far more likely to trigger his turn to the dark side over Superman's humanity.

The first part I agree with. But the second part is flat out wrong. Superman does face doubts and he does question himself. He's far from perfect and it's in stories such as All Star Superman and Birthright where you get to see how and why he makes the choices he does that shows why he is a paragon of virtue.

And I say that Superman is the hero humanity deserves, the one who can teach us how to be better people and to make more of ourselves and the valuable ideals we hold.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By flazam
SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SandMan_

@trollheim: Chill....You are doing the exact opposite of what this thread is about.

Anyway...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lvenger

@sandman_: I was about to say that this shouldn't turn into a Superman/Batman war between fans. Both of them are my favourite comic book characters so to argue who's better is slightly pointless for me.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Superman is the Best!

Best Costume: secret origin (Gary Frank art)

Best Origin: birthright or man of steel movie

Best supporting cast: jimmy olsen, Lois lane, Kent's.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Well, you know I love Superman...I don't really care about Batman. But the point of this thread is to respect them both, or at least one of them. Not disrespect.

Trollheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Trollheim

Yay 25 posts!

So I just watched Superman vs The Elite to catch up on this Manchester Black character... as far as I can tell at heart he's not a bad guy. So to me, it makes complete sense that Superman wouldn't stoop to kill him. Also, killing Lois Lane =/= killing Lois Lane, his unborn child, and nuking Metropolis. Lastly, Superman could control Manchester Black... lobotomizing him to prevent him from using his powers is easy, that's not really an option against someone like Lex Luthor or the Joker who keep coming back again and again no matter how locked up in prison they are. So saying Superman wouldn't kill just because he didn't kill Manchester Black seems wrong to me.

@sandman_ said:

@trollheim: Chill....You are doing the exact opposite of what this thread is about.

Anyway...

My point is just that, if you want to respect Superman, that's fine, just that you should respect Batman more. When people talk about bettering yourself, holding yourself to a higher standard, etc, they're really talking about Batman, not Superman. Superman was born with his gifts... Batman earned them. Superman was born into a family that taught him right and wrong... Batman's parents were murdered and yet he developed a sense of justice instead of a sense of revenge.

Batman is all about how humans can overcome their problems and become something better. Try as hard as he can, Joker has never broken Batman, even with all the tragedy that torments him. Even when Batman has gone down a dark path, he has never killed.

@lvenger said:

Oh please Brother Eye is a fine example of how Batman can go off the deep end. Not to mention Tower of Babel. Batman's paranoia is far more likely to trigger his turn to the dark side

Being prepared is completely different. There's nothing wrong with being prepared. Both of those were someone else taking something with good intent and twisting them around. Superman is one of the greatest threats to humanity in existence, it would be completely ridiculous if Batman didn't try to prepare a way of subduing him.