inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Orion fights Superman in order to free him from the control of Hector Hammond.

I'm not a Superman fan. There's very few stories I like about him. He's a hard character to write because the character of Superman is one that's very hard to connect with on a personal level. However, that being said, I think writer Scott Lobdell is onto something here with Hector Hammond. While Superman may be this almost perfect being, there's one place that can still get attacked, his mind. Minds are fragile and for me, this is an aspect of this story I can connect to. The use of Hector Hammond, who I have always felt was a super-lame Green Lantern villain, works wonderfully here. This is the place he should stay because, to me, he is one of the few characters that is a good match for Superman, since most of Supes rogue-gallery are pretty "meh."

What I'm about to say is normally hypocritical to points I've made in the past, but I'm happy that the majority of this issue is the battle between these two behemoths. These are characters that are both so powerful that you need a full issue of them beating each other to a pulp to emphasize their durability and toughness. Orion is a bit more on the brutish side, while Superman is a tad more strategic. There's a point in this issue where Orion picks up a carrier ship and is about to smash it on Superman. It's this very cool moment where the reader is on the edge of their seat, but we see Supes get out of it at the last second. It's a chess match that has the potential to never end.

I loved Aaron Kuder's art on this issue. His page layouts are epic. One of the opening pages features Orion punching Superman in the face the outline of the word "KRAKOW" over the image. The page is beautiful and the position he put Orion in as he hits Superman is fantastic. This may sound weird, but it looks like a real punch. He has the stance down perfectly. Loved his layouts as well, each page is dynamic and unique. Solid stuff.

The Bad

Any comic can be someone's first issue in a series, and this one was mine, so without reading issue 19, this is a bit confusing. I caught on about halfway through, but it took a second reading to really understand the overall story and peril that Superman was in. That being said, it's obviously going to be a tough read for a newbie to the series. Do what I'm going to do and pick up issue #19 at your LCS before reading this.

I don't know how to feel about Orion's dialogue. It's funny, but it doesn't feel like it fits the serious tone of the book. It's nice that the book doesn't take itself too seriously, but it felt a little out of place.

The Verdict

My first venture into SUPERMAN was a satisfying one. This was a great "smash it up" issue, and since I'm a big Forth World fan, I was pretty excited to jump right in. While this may be a tough issue for new readers because we're in the middle of a story, you can get the gist of what's going on in a second read through, but it's best to pick up issue #19 as well. My only other problem was some of Orion's dialogue which was a bit too comical for the book. However, this was a ton of fun. Lobdell and Kuder do an amazing job here, and for the first time in years, I can say I'm on board with a Superman book.

Overall, I highly recommend this issue.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice

RedX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RedX9

the dialogue in this book is just so f**king awful! Why do people continue to say its good?!?!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I'm not a Superman fan.

I don't even... Tsk, tsk, tsk :P

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T'was a good issue,especially when things got...."melty"

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I can't decide if this cover is awesome or dumb...

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Who won....well did Orion at least get in good hit?

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Kuder is one of my favourite artists but ive never picked up a superman new 52 issue. I really wanna buy this for Kuder. But Lobdell turns me away sadly. However since this is a 4 im more likely to buy it. Along with 19.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like your reviews, but I'm kind of upset you spoiled a moment where you said I would be at the edge of my seat. Come on Matt. I haven't read it yet so I don't know how big that moment is. Hopefully it isn't that big of a deal.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got this issue. Just to see if Lobdells writing has improved since H'el on Earth, Unfortunately it hasnt

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Deranged Midget

Not a bad issue at all. The art change was nice and suited the tone of the battle.

Who won....well did Orion at least get in good hit?

T'was an even fight my good sir.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#13 inferiorego  Staff

I like your reviews, but I'm kind of upset you spoiled a moment where you said I would be at the edge of my seat. Come on Matt. I haven't read it yet so I don't know how big that moment is. Hopefully it isn't that big of a deal.

It's not a big deal.There's numerous moments like that in this issue.

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why people say it's hard to connect with Superman.

coughINFERIOREGOcough.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icon

Knocking issue #20 of a series for being confusing because you didn't read any of the preceding 19 issues is NOT a fault of that issue, or the series. That issue wasn't designed as a jumping on point so you can't knock it for not really being one. Not every issue can be, and yet they can still be great. You have to judge it based on its real merits or lack thereof. Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine when a reviewer does that.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

Great review of a great issue

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind this issue, I was kinda iffy about the 18th and 19th issue but this one made up for it. I liked the art too, made him look a little more like the traditional Superman.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Press Oblivion

I enjoyed this issue too, this is the kind of action and tone that I expect from a comic, classic formula.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very fun issue, best one of the series in a long time.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A really fun issue. Picking up nicely where # 19 weirdness began. The Lana hallucination reinforces what Hammond is doing...using memories, feelings etc to mess with Clark and try to confuse and muck up his present. Orion is actually a bit of a douche in Azz's book. He's actually better represented here if that is possible. Clark calling him a jerk is actually spot on. Diana is a dream date in the sense it was a bad date considering how it began and weird it all got...and the woman just took it all in her stride and was not fazed one bit by any of it.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Meh! Art was good, liked the battle but the dialogue was ASS! Orion talked a 2nd rate Thor and of course when two juggernauts clash we get the obligatory " I actually felt that" line. Also since when does WWs Lasso of Truth not work on Supes? He's all powerful now?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Meh! Art was good, liked the battle but the dialogue was ASS! Orion talked a 2nd rate Thor and of course when two juggernauts clash we get the obligatory " I actually felt that" line. Also since when does WWs Lasso of Truth not work on Supes? He's all powerful now?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't like how Orion is portrayed in the 52. His dialogue doesn't come off as godly but as a average fratboy.

Avatar image for the_human_stain
The Human Stain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_black said:

I don't understand why people say it's hard to connect with Superman.

coughINFERIOREGOcough.

Exactly. Orion connected...when he punched him.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By veronicacris

@redx9 said:

the dialogue in this book is just so f**king awful! Why do people continue to say its good?!?!

don't know, people like diferent things, The art was very good, fight was great. But SM out of character, Orion talking like Robin in Adam West Batman, Twilight moment, just NO. Waste of paper, Orion and WW out of this I'm done with this.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow, this was reviewed by someone that doesn't like the character, and hasn't read the preceding and very related issue. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to read a review like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Pretty decent issue and glad they paid a nod to Diana and Orion already being acquainted. Azzarello writes much better dialogue for Orion than Lobdell. The fight between the 2 was cool if a bit cliche.

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing wrong with this cover is the name Scott Lobdell is on it. When will DC stop his horrible attempts at the Superman titles?

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigboi100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5