Superheroes should be mainly for children?

StuckOnEuropa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StuckOnEuropa

Your thoughts?

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CrimsonCake

Of course not,But some people just don't get it...

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

Um.. I think there should be Superhero comics for adults, but for the most part I think they should be for everybody. Superheroes were probably at their best (sales wise) when the medium was meant for the younger lads. Of course some adults were reading comics back in day as well, but these days the adults I know would rather read a sports magazine or a book than a comic. I bring up Superman's relationship with Wonder Woman, the folks at work are wondering why I'm not talking football. Bring up Stephen King I can get a convo started, bring up Grant Morrison not so much.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sinestro_GL

Nowadays? I'd say no...I remember reading an issue of Batman about 8 years ago...on the first page was a picture of a prostitute that had been murdered, whose body was hanging

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Onemoreposter

@sinestro_GL said:

Nowadays? I'd say no...I remember reading an issue of Batman about 8 years ago...on the first page was a picture of a prostitute that had been murdered, whose body was hanging

lol, gotta love Gotham. Specially since the late 80s.

Some books are for children sure, but they shouldn't be and aren't mainly for children. I think DC a couple years back had a pretty good grip on targeting all audiences. They had Johnny DC books and the like for the youngins, the regular DCU which was pretty much accessible by all ages but stayed away from full frontal, excessively vulgar language or violence (...most of the time....), and vertigo for those over the top tit's and ass ultra-violence tales (not that that's all vertigo was about). Come to think about it, Marvel's about the same with their main DCU be separated from their over the top MAX line (not sure what they have for the kids though).

SO yeah. Comics are media/art form. As such there should be and are comics of all types for people of all ages.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

No. That's retarded. Superheroes are for everyone.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#7  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@InnerVenom123 said:

Bit harsh saying retarded as I can see were he's coming from most people get into heroes when they are kids and they are the ones that need it the most, but I do see that adults should be able to like superheroes as well

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Imagine_Man15

There needs to be diversity in the genre. There should be superhero comics for kids, and superhero comics for older age groups.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By InnerVenom123

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Bit harsh saying retarded as I can see were he's coming from most people get into heroes when they are kids and they are the ones that need it the most, but I do see that adults should be able to like superheroes as well

This cancerous BS attitude that comics are for kids is a result of stupidity and stupidity-induced censorship. In a word: retarded.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#10  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

@InnerVenom123 said:

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

This cancerous BS attitude that comics are for kids is a result of stupidity and stupidity-induced censorship. In a word: retarded.

It's not really retarded there are alot of comics now a days in Marvel DC and others that I wouldn't let a child read, its a business at the end of the day and they will tone down characters like Spider-Man cause kids love him and it makes a lot of money they however can't do this with characters like Punisher and wolverine ect. so they don't with them.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jorgevy

there is a need for a more age specific comic agenda. Like kids stuff and adult stuff. Maybe MArvel/DC could have a whole universe dedicated to kid's stuff

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Eternal19

no, alot of the stories arent even written to that age group. theres a reason when i go to other comic book websites theres always some parent asking for "kiddie' comics.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Twentyfive

Well, Superhero books are not as fun as they could, and should be. So no. The adults who read comics take them way too seriously, and that can get in the way of the appeal to kids.

So no. They are not for kids. Cartoons will help guide kids into comics.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By jinxuandi

There are very few comics that cater towards kids nowadays, which is a shame and, in the long-term, probably foolish on the part of publishers. Most people I know who read comics got into them as kids, but most people (myself included) wouldn't let their kids read most of what Marvel and DC publish (and please don't bring up stuff like Tiny Titans, which is aimed for very small children). That means that publishers will have to hope that they can get people interested into comics as adults, which they don't have a good track record of doing.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SandMan_

Nope...It hasn't been like that for over 40 years.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By BatteredArmor

Had an aunt once who couldn't comprehend that TDKR was rated R. I had to explain to her how dark mainstream comics could get and that there was probably no point in her life time that they had ever been just for kids and that was a very outdated misunderstanding

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By jonEsherfey

I think there should be both. Comics are not just for children anymore. A lot of the best stories are for Adults. They have it good now with some comics for both.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@InnerVenom123 said:

Superheroes are for everyone.

This. End Thread.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@InnerVenom123 said:

@johnkmccubbin91 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Yup.

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Enosisik

What's the real difference between Batman and James Bond or watching a super hero movie and the Terminator other than the costumes? There's a difference between the cartoony comics of the 70's and modern superhero books that are more dramatic and attempt to have an on going continuity to them.