Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By TheManInTheShoe

Is there any characters in comics with "hidden" psychological problems (and I don't want to hear about all of Deadpool's problems!). Because characters needs flaws, are some flaws "hidden" and if a character has problems like that who and what?

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Batman could be considered to have kind of a psychological problem...

I mean, his parents are gunned down right in front of him. Who wouldn't after that? Now he's grim, brooding and afraid to get close to anyone.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Peter Parker's obsession over responsibility could be interpreted as some sort of complex.

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: I remember you told me you had a hard time connecting to my character, so I thought I could give some kind of "issue". I just don't know what that would be, I thought he might be a compulsive liar that gives him personal problems. Or any other ideas maybe?

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe:

Well, you could have him have some sort of complex about his father's dead. Like he wont ever find his killer no matter how hard he tries he wont be able to give him justice.

That's all I got right now. No offence, but next time you might want to just shoot me a PM instead of using someone else's thread. :P

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: Could work, maybe he is witness to the murder or just the fact drives him forward.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanintheshoe:

That's all I got right now. No offence, but next time you might want to just shoot me a PM instead of using someone else's thread. :P

Oh.... This is your thread.. Oops. Sorry...

And here I thought I was going to go a whole day without looking like a dunce on Comic Vine... :P

TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheManInTheShoe
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All heroes tend to be emotionally or psychologically unstable. The easiest example (and I can see he's already been referenced) is Batman. He was unable to confront his grief over the death of his parents in his youth, and so strove to ensure that none would be made a victim again the way he was. Instead of doing that through regular channels such as the police force, Bruce's resentment of authority figures and general instability drove him to become the Batman. Now, he projects the pain from his own victimization onto the predators that would make victims of Gotham. It's a very unhealthy cycle of violence begetting more violence, and has only one logical outcome: the Batman will die protecting his city. He will not retire, will not settle down and let his proteges take up the mantle. He will die as Batman.

As for the question posed slightly more recently in the thread: a super hero does not have to have psychoses to be considered interesting. Don't force something on your character that hasn't come about naturally. The reader will know.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss said:

All heroes tend to be emotionally or psychologically unstable. The easiest example (and I can see he's already been referenced) is Batman. He was unable to confront his grief over the death of his parents in his youth, and so strove to ensure that none would be made a victim again the way he was. Instead of doing that through regular channels such as the police force, Bruce's resentment of authority figures and general instability drove him to become the Batman. Now, he projects the pain from his own victimization onto the predators that would make victims of Gotham. It's a very unhealthy cycle of violence begetting more violence, and has only one logical outcome: the Batman will die protecting his city. He will not retire, will not settle down and let his proteges take up the mantle. He will die as Batman.

As for the question posed slightly more recently in the thread: a super hero does not have to have psychoses to be considered interesting. Don't force something on your character that hasn't come about naturally. The reader will know.

That explanation was way better then mine...

Mind it I steal it?

Kidding, kidding. :P

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the suggestion of Spider Man. Uncle Ben's words are pretty much engraved into every fiber of Peter's being these days. And I'm pretty sure some character has said, "Dude, why do you try to take responsibility for things that are barely your problem?"

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No specific example but I think in some cases, Super heroes could develop some kind of split/multiple personality disorder. They have to constantly attempt to separate their civilian lives from their costumed vigilante personas. That coupled with all the physical and emotional stress they endure is bound to have some sort of impact, mentally/psychologically speaking.

It would likely develop in a Marvel hero given their track record with psychological instability except that their identities are usually public knowledge so they, ironically don't have that problem. DC has the secretive but generally mentally stable characters so who in the DC universe is likely to develop a problem like that?

PS: I am in no way a psychology student nor do I aspire to be, so all the real psychologists reading this, please tell me if I'm wrong or if it's actually plausible. It would be cool to know

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akindoodle: When asked (by Alfred, I think) how he refers to himself in his head, Bruce Wayne all but admits he refers to himself as Batman. I think that's a good example for your "split personalities" bit.

Anyway, gonna stop referencing Batman now.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss: Wow. That's a good example of Batman is Bruce Wayne as opposed to Bruce Wayne incidentally dresses up like a bat. What Marvel hero or any other DC hero do you see like this? Mention an Indie if you know any (Like the OP said, no Deadpool please)

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By End_Boss

@akindoodle: On the Marvel side there's Daredevil (his problems aren't explicit, but he's gone through more shit than Spidey so if he doesn't have issues then I don't know what's real anymore) and Moon Knight (HOLY CRAZY. BUCKETS O' NUTS. GOBS O' GOOFY.).

Punisher.

Er.

Um.

Other people.

EDIT: Oh. Hulk. Duh. Who's to say the "Hulk" persona isn't just Bruce Banner's way of dealing with the traumatic transformation process and the all-consuming rage?

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss: Yeah, but how would getting big and green be explained away? He might be a very angry person but I know lots of people that don't go green. They Rulk out instead of Hulk out. See what I did there?

How crazy is Moonknight? And what kind of hero is he? I want to get into him but I want to know if he's a Batman type character or if he's a more supernatural fighter. Does he use magic or something? I hear he's an Egyptian priest of some sort and that interests me. I like magic based characters

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akindoodle: He's a little bit of both. While many refer to him as "Marvel's Batman," he does have those supernatural elements to set him apart. Those same elements are part of what make him so insane. We're talking multiple personalities, voices in your head, the whole nine yards. Heck, Spider-man once asked Moon Knight why he broke into a stripclub and beat everyone up while dressed as the webhead. According to Moon Knight, he was "trying some things out."

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akindoodle: None from me. Despite what I've told you, I haven't read a lot of Moon Knight. Enjoyed what I have seen, though.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@blackwind: contrary to popular belief, uncle ben never said to pete. that scene was only in the movies but it seems so natural that we have kinda accepted uncle ben saying it. the statement was said at the very end of amazing fantasy #15 to draw conclusion to the story

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Akindoodle

@end_boss: Okay. Thanks anyway

@themanintheshoe: Wouldn't a LOT of Super villains classify as having a superiority complex of some sort; Lex Luthor, Dr. Doom... Tony Stark, anyone? Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure that old Wonder Woman villain, Dr. Psycho had a severe Napoleon complex. Time displaced heroes could have any number of mental problems. Some sort of disorientation thing. Captain America on anti-psychotics? The Republicans would break out the pitch forks. Oh and Shazam!. He's a kid who transforms into a walking testosterone generator. That could mess up his brain. Normal puberty's bad enough. Many teen heroes have ADHD too... I think. I think Bart Allen does

I'm not actually saying that these characters do have such but I think that these problems can be logically deduced from their back stories. This is so much fun. It's interesting enough to merit a thesis or something. PSYCHOLOGY STUDENTS WHERE ARE YOU?!

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Mark Waid's Irredeemable is all about a superhero who, in terms of power, is essentially Superman, but lacks the mental and moral fortitude for the job and snaps.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Pre-Rebirth's Hal Jordan inability to maintain a relationship came from a subconscious belief that he didn't deserve happiness and love

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lorbo

@themanintheshoe: My OC character is quite smart. Probably her main fault is taking no risks whatsoever due to tragedy caused earlier in her life. Namely her mom dieing due to her inviting her on a sky dive. After that she scaled back all her plans instead of developing her talents farther. The storyline disrupts her life, forcing her to come around full circle as she forced to face dangers and embrace her adventurous side again.