Superheroes and their...Physique

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A lot of the time in comics, we see characters who have some of the craziest bodies. Though oftentimes that is just simply due to the style of the artist. But other times you look at a character and think, SHOULD they even have this body type due to who they are?

Namor and Aquaman are perfect examples. They are swimmers. And they look their best when they are lean, but still muscular as well. They would look terrible with Thor level bulk.

So that's what I'm getting at! Bring up characters you like and discuss how they are drawn, and if you feel like a certain character should have a different body.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Blade_R

I think it would be cool to see a slightly less bulky doomsday , I like doomsday a lot but he is one of the only huge/buff/bulky characters I actually like.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the most consistent character physique is The Flash. He has what I'd say is a runner's physique. Deadpool goes through some weird styles though...I don't like him with the over muscled look.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TehStranger

Not technically a superhero but I don't like how New 52 Slade Wilson looks

I think they made him way too buff. I mean come on, he's supposed to be an assassin not a steroid junkie. He should strong, but also fast and agile

He looks more like the guy trying to kill him than his old self.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarthAznable

@tehstranger: Well I mean he is a super soldier. And I believe is New 52 is supposedly stronger. I'm not surprised he's bigger.

Avatar image for twix_right_side
Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not technically a superhero but I don't like how New 52 Slade Wilson looks

I think they made him way too buff. I mean come on, he's supposed to be an assassin not a steroid junkie. He should strong, but also fast and agile

Agreed. I like his arkham origin physique.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Guardiandevil83

I love when artists capture how lean and lithe Spider-Man is. I always picture him at the peak of what a Olympic level gymnast could ever look like and ever be.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TehStranger

@darthaznable: Well there isn't really any feats to suggest New 52 Slade is stronger that his Pre-52 counterpart since basically all his feats come from his Nth armor rather than his own strength, but that's besides the point. In my opinion I simply feel that they overdid New 52 Slade's muscles. You don't have to be ultra buff in order to be strong, if that were true Wonder Woman would be bulging with muscles like a Rob Liefeld character and nobody would like that, but can still be built.

For example take a look at these two pictures (which I'm sure all the fan-girls will appreciate)

One of these looks like a well conditioned, physically strong man, and the other looks like a steroid junkie. Hell, I'd go out of my way to say he doesn't even look like Slade anymore. He looks more like Cable or even a senior citizen version of Duke Nukem with an eye patch.

No Caption Provided
Well if Duke decided to take even more steroids.
Well if Duke decided to take even more steroids.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i always thought batman should be leaner

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarthAznable
No Caption Provided

@tehstranger: Eh I haven't read his new 52 yet but I agree. I like the way classic Slade looked compared to what you've shown (costume too) but I don't think Slade is Rob Liefeld level yet...Not until get gets quad triceps.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TehStranger

@darthaznable: Lol, I don't know why but Robins arms from that pic made me laugh. But yeah,but could you imagine if Liefeld drew Slade? Imagine how stupid that woul... oh wait

No Caption Provided

Still its not as bad as what his "Lobo" looked like

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Seriously, how did this get published? Lobo looks like a balloon.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tehstranger: Strokes legs look like fire extinguishers and Lobo's face looked like he tried to fuse with Wolverine but it failed. All the art in the picture just looks bad.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like wolverine's physique. Short, ripped and with a lot of muscle bulk

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A character I'll bring up is Cyclops who was originally drawn as a skinny teenager then at some point(I think it was in the 90's) started getting drawn like he is this huge bodybuilder with awesome h2h skills. It just doesn't fit him imo.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think some of the time, it's because an artist can only draw normal people or super jacked bodies and nothing in between.

I'd also like to see more varience in body-types. There is really no reason why a psychic or character with non-physical powers needs to look like Brock Lesnar.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

muscles I tell ya

muscles

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@spambot said:

A character I'll bring up is Cyclops who was originally drawn as a skinny teenager then at some point(I think it was in the 90's) started getting drawn like he is this huge bodybuilder with awesome h2h skills. It just doesn't fit him imo.

I agree.

I've never agreed with the idea of Superman being built like a bodybuilder either. A strapping farmboy, more round then ripped is how I imagine him. A similar thing with Thor; lots of bulk, with arms like tree trunks, but not super-defined, maybe even a beer belly. I also like a broader Wonder Woman, and a less bulky Batman. In general, I think characters associated with fighting skill should be fairly lean (by today's balloon-muscle standards).

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spambot said:

Characters can grow into adults and develop muscles from doing extremely strenuous activity like crime fighting, you know.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is too big sometimes to still be fast, Wonder Woman is too skinny sometimes, Daredevil is too buff sometimes, Green Lantern is too big sometimes as well for a regular guy.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345: I know that but I still don't think it suits him. Its just that in the 90's suddenly every male hero started getting drawn with huge bulging muscles and every female super hero suddenly had huge **** and ***.