#1 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6097 posts) - - Show Bio

Which do you like reading more? Superhero comic or non-superhero comics?

Personally, I tend to read more non-superhero comics like Sandman, Y: The Last Man and Chew, then I do with superhero comics, although I do read lots of superhero comics from time to time.

#2 Edited by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

used to prefer superhero comics... but lately they've really been disappointing me

#3 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I like a mix of the two. The bulk of my reading is superhero comics, but occasionally I'll dabble into something else just to spice things up.

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6097 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravager4 said:

used to prefer superhero comics... but lately they've really been disappointing me

I agree. That's why I read mostly the superhero comics from the earlier years.

#5 Edited by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading comics for about a year now, so I mostly been reading superhero stuff but I have been slowly getting into non superhero stuff, I've recently read Punk Rock Jesus and Groom Lake and I though they were pretty good. If anyone has any recommendations for other good non superhero comics or graphic novels I would really appreciate it.

#6 Posted by DH69 (4193 posts) - - Show Bio

Majority is superhero stuff, but on occasion i read none cape stuff.

#7 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Heroes but I will read something non hero but I prefer hero comics.

#8 Posted by bob808 (6786 posts) - - Show Bio

Non-superhero comics are the best.

#9 Edited by JulieDC (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

i only read superhero comics and since I've only been reading them since January, I have been trying to read as much of the old stuff that I can get my hands on. however i just can't get into non-superhero comics yet because of what i have looked at and read so far, i have found it to be either too gory, too sexually explicit or too much coarse language. i mean there is nothing wrong with that stuff in moderation but it just seemed like a lot of it was there because it could be there and served little purpose to the actual story. also, i tend to be very picky about what interests me. maybe i just haven't found the right stuff yet...not sure where to look.

#10 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

i only read superhero comics and since I've only been reading them since January, I have been trying to read as much of the old stuff that I can get my hands on. however i just can't get into non-superhero comics yet because of what i have looked at and read so far, i have found it to be either too gory, too sexually explicit or too much coarse language. i mean there is nothing wrong with that stuff in moderation but it just seemed like a lot of it was there because it could be there and served little purpose to the actual story. also, i tend to be very picky about what interests me. maybe i just haven't found the right stuff yet...not sure where to look.

this, I was reading saga the other day and i kept wondering whether was all the sex and cursing was really necessary.

#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6097 posts) - - Show Bio

@juliedc said:

this, I was reading saga the other day and i kept wondering whether was all the sex and cursing was really necessary.

I will admit that the strong language and sex scenes that keeps happening in non-superhero comics are a bit too much at times, especially when you're wondering if the story really needs all that. Sometimes its hard to find a non superhero comic book that doesn't contain so much language and sexual scenes.

#12 Posted by Nerx (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

Although rare I like supervillain comics

#13 Posted by RustyRoy (14446 posts) - - Show Bio

Both.

#14 Posted by KingOfAsh (3636 posts) - - Show Bio

Non-Super Hero comics by far.

#15 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Read both, say a 70/30 split to the capes.

#16 Posted by Billy Batson (58593 posts) - - Show Bio

Good comics.

BB

#17 Edited by Billy Batson (58593 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading comics for about a year now, so I mostly been reading superhero stuff but I have been slowly getting into non superhero stuff, I've recently read Punk Rock Jesus and Groom Lake and I though they were pretty good. If anyone has any recommendations for other good non superhero comics or graphic novels I would really appreciate it.

What things do you enjoy the most?

BB

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (36095 posts) - - Show Bio

Good comics.

BB

This.

But mostly non-super hero comics. Usually the superhero comics I do like are predominantly of another genre that happen to feature pepole in capes and masks, a crime book with superheroes, a sci fi book with superheroes, a horror book with superheroes ect

#19 Posted by judasnixon (7401 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to say I like Non-Super Hero books more, But I'm loving Non-Super Super Hero Books like Hawkeye and Wonder Woman........ If that makes sense?

#20 Edited by nintendork666 (287 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel superheroes are my favorite, but I'd give anything a chance.

I'm a really big Buffy + Angel & Faith fan. I also enjoy Hack/Slash, and Revival quite a bit.

#21 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (695 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both, but non superhero books have gotten more of my attention lately.

#22 Posted by ccraft (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like non hero comics are a bit better idk, I've been reading mainly DC and a few Marvel books, but then I read IDW's TMNT ongoing and it was amazing. After that I tried X-O Manowar that was really awesome, and so was Shadowman. But it seems like reading Batman or JL just isn't as fresh. The last time I was amazed at a DC book was the silent issue for Batman and Robin. Anyone else feels this way?

#23 Posted by PowerHerc (85517 posts) - - Show Bio

Superhero comics.

No question. No doubt.

#24 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2154 posts) - - Show Bio

Prefer Super heroes because that's what this genre is all about. If you want to read non-superhero stuff, why bother with comics? Just read novels. That said, there's plenty of non-superhero stuff I like, but comics, for the most part is the ONLY place to get super-hero stuff.

#25 Posted by ccraft (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything: Then your not readin X-O Manowar! Thats a great non superhero comic

I like both, but non superhero books have gotten more of my attention lately.

Me too, what do you read?

#26 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: I've found that I enjoy comics about people shooting each other with guns, I don't know what genre that would be under. I also liked Saucer Country and Groom Lake which both are about aliens, so I guess I like aliens.

So it looks like I'm into people blasting each other, aliens, and anything with humor is a plus, but I am open to anything if its good.

#27 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Superhero comics.

I never really ventured outside of those. I think that farthest I've gone out of superhero comics are Swamp Thing, but even then, he is more or less a superhero.

#28 Posted by Queso6p4 (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, when I think about it I buy more superhero books but generally get more reading pleasure from non-superhero ones.

#29 Posted by Alak (928 posts) - - Show Bio

I like superhero comics due to the fantasy aspect, but I do read non-superhero ones from time to time.

#30 Posted by Billy Batson (58593 posts) - - Show Bio

Prefer Super heroes because that's what this genre is all about. If you want to read non-superhero stuff, why bother with comics? Just read novels. That said, there's plenty of non-superhero stuff I like, but comics, for the most part is the ONLY place to get super-hero stuff.

Comics are a medium, not a genre. Superheroes are a genre. The most popular comic books aren't the superhero ones nor were they the first. And you can get superhero stuff from TV and movies as well.

@billy_batson: I've found that I enjoy comics about people shooting each other with guns, I don't know what genre that would be under. I also liked Saucer Country and Groom Lake which both are about aliens, so I guess I like aliens.

So it looks like I'm into people blasting each other, aliens, and anything with humor is a plus, but I am open to anything if its good.

Try 100 Bullets, Global Frequency, Milligan's Human Target, Diggle's The Losers, Scalped or Dysart's Unknown Soldier.

BB

#31 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (2154 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson said:
@manwhohaseverything said:

Comics are a medium, not a genre. Superheroes are a genre. The most popular comic books aren't the superhero ones nor were they the first. And you can get superhero stuff from TV and movies as well.

Correct, I should have said medium. That said, the T.V and movie super-hero stuff, exist only because the comics were there first. Even shows that don't have a direct connection (Like "Heroes" back in the day) were influenced by the comics. The medium of comics and the genre of super-heroes go hand in hand. Also note, I didn't say comics were the only place for super-heroes. That's why the "for the most part" qualifier was in front of it. How do you figure the most popular comics aren't super-heroe ones? All the comic sales I read have super-heroes as the top sellers. Now, back in 1930 that may not have been so, but it is now. Never said super-heroes were the first. Merely stating the evolution of the medium has become that it's associated with the super-hero. If someone came up to me and said "I want to read about super-heroes" I would point them to comics. If someone said "I want to read straight science fiction", I would not suggest a comic.

#32 Posted by ColonelRunAway (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Kirkman.

Kirkman is the answer.

Kirkman is always the answer.

#33 Posted by Billy Batson (58593 posts) - - Show Bio

Correct, I should have said medium. That said, the T.V and movie super-hero stuff, exist only because the comics were there first. Even shows that don't have a direct connection (Like "Heroes" back in the day) were influenced by the comics. The medium of comics and the genre of super-heroes go hand in hand. Also note, I didn't say comics were the only place for super-heroes. That's why the "for the most part" qualifier was in front of it. How do you figure the most popular comics aren't super-heroe ones? All the comic sales I read have super-heroes as the top sellers. Now, back in 1930 that may not have been so, but it is now. Never said super-heroes were the first. Merely stating the evolution of the medium has become that it's associated with the super-hero. If someone came up to me and said "I want to read about super-heroes" I would point them to comics. If someone said "I want to read straight science fiction", I would not suggest a comic.

Forget to mention novelizations but true.

European comics (BD) and eastern (manga) sell a lot more than superhero comics. Just a small fraction of manga series alone give the same amount of sales as the whole American superhero/indie market.

Well it's up to you what you recommend to others.

BB

#34 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2154 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything said:

Forget to mention novelizations but true.

European comics (BD) and eastern (manga) sell a lot more than superhero comics. Just a small fraction of manga series alone give the same amount of sales as the whole American superhero/indie market.

Well it's up to you what you recommend to others.

BB

Ahh.. a lesson in context. Fair enough. Thanks for the thoughtful replies. :)

#35 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6097 posts) - - Show Bio

@queso6p4 said:

You know, when I think about it I buy more superhero books but generally get more reading pleasure from non-superhero ones.

I also get more pleasure from non-superhero comics since there's always a new idea from those comics, but I do read a lot of superhero comics from time to time.

#36 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I read more super hero comIcs but I gotta say preacher Is lIke the best serIes ever you seem to lIke IndIes so read that

#37 Posted by The Stegman (26532 posts) - - Show Bio

Superheroes, If there's no tights, it ain't right.