Super powers suck

whoisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi. We all love to talk about what we would do if we had our favorite hero or villain's powers, how we could change our lives and the world, how we could do things better, but we tend to gloss over the bad things. Here, let's talk about the downsides to powers and abilities. I'll start us off with superman.

Super speed-Everything would be so boring. We've all had days at school and work where we've just stared at the clock. Now everyone and everything would move in slow motion. You know that friend of yours that doesn't know how to shut up? Now you get to drum your fingers impatiently as they mouth a word. Also, movies and tv are a bore. To you they look like a slide show of photo's, each only slightly different than the last.

Super strength-Accidentally tear off doors and limbs. Also, if you do decide to become a super hero, how do you know how to punch hard enough that the villains neither explode nor laugh?

Flying-Got a bad hair cut? Put your shirt on backwards? Any other embarrassing events? Well now the whole world can see!

X-ray vision-This is one superpower I hope I never, ever get. I know people say they would use it to look through clothes, but you would see through more than that. You would be looking through their skin. Whatever gender you are attracted to will now look like bags of pulsating bloody organs.

You get the idea

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I personally enjoy stories that focus on the downsides of superpowers. I think telepathy would be one of the worst powers, if uncontrollable.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Nothing Is hotter on a chick than a nice pair of kidneys. X-ray vision ftw

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent.

Avatar image for annoyedimmortalspirit
AnnoyedImmortalSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whoisme: actually no, superspeed is not = time slow.

With superspeed you are just able to do things much faster, but you don't see them moving slow, everything moves at its normal speed, it's only you who are much faster.

ZeroPlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ZeroPlus

NO.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I smell a Batman fan.

Avatar image for persecutionnoted
persecutionnoted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whoisme said:

Hi. We all love to talk about what we would do if we had our favorite hero or villain's powers, how we could change our lives and the world, how we could do things better, but we tend to gloss over the bad things. Here, let's talk about the downsides to powers and abilities. I'll start us off with superman.

Super speed-Everything would be so boring. We've all had days at school and work where we've just stared at the clock. Now everyone and everything would move in slow motion. You know that friend of yours that doesn't know how to shut up? Now you get to drum your fingers impatiently as they mouth a word. Also, movies and tv are a bore. To you they look like a slide show of photo's, each only slightly different than the last.

Super strength-Accidentally tear off doors and limbs. Also, if you do decide to become a super hero, how do you know how to punch hard enough that the villains neither explode nor laugh?

Flying-Got a bad hair cut? Put your shirt on backwards? Any other embarrassing events? Well now the whole world can see!

X-ray vision-This is one superpower I hope I never, ever get. I know people say they would use it to look through clothes, but you would see through more than that. You would be looking through their skin. Whatever gender you are attracted to will now look like bags of pulsating bloody organs.

You get the idea

Check out TV Tropes' "Required Secondary Powers".

They explain why superpowers need to have a composite or they rarely end up well.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You basically just listed the downside to not being able to control your super powers.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Invisibility would be cool..then you could do..you know..invisible things.

tyizzy360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tyizzy360
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Invisibility would be cool..then you could do..you know..invisible things.

Try sleeping while invisible.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

...who would focus on your shirt while you`re flying?

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

The ability to understand and communicate with animals would suck. I would never again be able to eat bacon in good conscience.

Not that that would stop me, of course.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@manwhohaseverything: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=w-YLJ-pHRhA

Oh sure..in the real world, but I thought we were talking comic-book invisibility. Your clothes go out of sight with you and you can still function "normally"..you just can't be seen. You can also control when you are or are not invisible.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super strength wouldn't result in punching holes in people or tearing car doors off etc.

You'd only accidentally crush things, but you wouldn't pull a car door off in real life unless you tried because the strength of a car door is much more than how much you weigh. Think about it, could you pull a cable pully tied to a car? No, you'd end up just climbing up the cable.

The only way you can pull the car door off is on purpose, meaning you'd have to posture up in a way where you get help from friction and possibly using the cars weight against the door means g pull upward.

So that applies to many things in real life. Super strength might be the easiest power to control.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of those powers would suck at all.

Jack_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

DraciosV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super strength could be a problem. But not as much as one would think. Usually people depict it as making everything else seem weaker. If you tap your finger on someone at 3 mph, its still going to be a 3 mph tap, as if any other human did it.

Super speed can suck if you don't have super reflexes when you need them. There is also the problem of physics that the flash hand wave with their magical speed force.

Flight could be pretty awesome at lower heights....

X-Ray vision or see through vision depends on how you see the stuff. A lot of different EM waves can be used to achieve this and can see through different materials. You might see kidneys or you might just see bone. It all depends...

Dem kidneys....

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flight there is no bad thing about flight how could the whole world see you ? Not everyone with superspeed would be moving that fast some people may just want to move faster than the eye can see

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By comicace3

This guy does a have a point...

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Jphu8414

That's why you have to learn to control your powers you noobs!