Strider92's Thoughts: Why You Should Read Spider-man 2099

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Edited By Strider1992

For those of you who are unaware Spider-man 2099 a character that hasn't had an ongoing since the mid-90's has been taken on for a second volume. First off for those of you who have never heard of Spider-man 2099 he is not Peter Parker from the future (or a clone). His alter ego is a man named Miguel O'Hara who through a series of unfortunate events has to expose himself to an experimental serum in order to shake an addiction to a drug that was introduced to his system by the company (Alchemax) he worked for so he wouldn't leave.

Who is he?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

So lets get one thing out of the way Miguel O'Hara is nothing like Parker the similarities end at their super-name. In his own timeline he started out as scientist for Alchemax before eventually becoming the CEO. Suffice to say as the lead biologist at the most advanced corporation in the world of 2099 Miguel ain't lacking in the smarts department. However the thing that makes him different from the other Spider-men (Parker, Kaine, Morales etc....) is that he does what is necessary and not out of a obligation. He isn't constrained by a strict set of morals but unlike Kaine he doesn't kill often and when he does its because he sees no other option. Aside from once in his early career Miguel hasn't killed from anger. Suffice to say his moral code is slightly different from Pete's. While he does have a sense of humor it is often cold sarcasm rather than quips. His actions to a certain extent are more realistic than say Pete who would never kill or Kaine who would snap your neck as soon as you pushed him. he's kind of the happy middle between the two not excessive in either territory. Now for those of you who didn't follow Superior Spider-man (don't blame you if you didn't) Miguel is now stuck in the present 616-verse and not the 2099-verse and helped Superior take down on Goblin nation. Now thats over however Miguel is still stuck in the wrong time and decides to use his presence there for the good of the future as the company his great grandfather (Tiberius Stone) starts becomes the main and corrupted power in the 2099-verse.

The appeal?

Yet another Spider-man book? What is in this that should spark my interest? The answer is very simple. If you want a character with an interesting set of morals, an intriguing powerset, great potential for later stories and a good dose of Sci-Fi thrown in then Spider-man 2099 is for you. To avoid spoilers I will not talk to indepth or long about it.

No Caption Provided

The main difference between this and other Spider-books is the Sci-Fi. Miguel is sporting tech from the year 2099 meaning a personal holographic suit, an advanced AI called Lyla and a bunch of other gadgets. His powerset is also different from the Spider-man we all know in the fact Miguel has claws, fangs he can use to inject venom into his enemies and enhanced senses.

The current creative team consists of Peter David, Will Sliney and Antonio Fabela so the writing and the art is just awesome it is also only one issue 1 at the moment so its a perfect time to jump on:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

And if that wasn't enough just check out this cover art.........drools. I'd buy this series just for the cover art collection:

Spider-man 2099 #2
Spider-man 2099 #2
Spider-man 2099 #3
Spider-man 2099 #3
Spider-man 2099 #3
Spider-man 2099 #3
Spider-man 2099 #4
Spider-man 2099 #4

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger this should answer the question! :D

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Nice write up : )

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

GO SPIDEY 2099!!!!

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

Nice to see my man Miguel getting the respect he deserves.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Because he's an awesome character written by one of the best writers in comics,would have done it.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Okay,I'm convinced

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He sounds like a character I could fall in love with. High street level, interesting Sci-Fi gear and powerset, loose but not extreme moral code.. yeah, right up my alley. Never really been into Spider-Man but I'll try this out.

@strider92 Would you recommend starting from the beginning of his chronology and working my way through?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Strider1992

@i_like_swords: Well given what i've seen of Spider-man 2099 since his appearance in Superior and his new series the timeline has changed slightly so some parts of the original 2099 series don't seem to be canon. What I would recommend doing is reading the first few issues (maybe the first 4-5) of the 90's series so you know his origin then jump on the new series as its pretty newbie friendly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: when does it start if it hasn't already?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: good I'm not that late lol. I'll definitely be reading it!

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Strider1992

@hyperlight: They are awesome! Hopefully they'll stay like that a while.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Am I the only one who wants a Miguel and Kaine crossover? Hell. Miguel, Kaine, and Wolverine!

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

Hopefully it lasts and it doesn't silently get cancelled like other Marvel titles.