#1 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, why do some people think tgat "Character X can kick Character Y's ass, therefore Character X is a better character" Its a confusing and baffling way to look at such a thing. Honestly, the people who think making a character strong means that amounts to their worth as a character must be 13 years old or have the interest of a 13 year old.

Do you, the members of CV see this a lot?

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19489 posts) - - Show Bio

Its called ABC Logic. Sometimes it does work though.

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind: When you say worth do you mean how powerful they are or the character's personality and things like that?

#4 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: @guttridgeb: i Think he meant good character, like personality and fanbase and stuff

#5 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

I meant their worth as people, in story. A powerful character can also be a piece of sh*t. Like this:

Rulk by Ed McGuinness

Being powerful shouldn't equate to the character being any good.

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11709 posts) - - Show Bio

becausesome people are stupid and primal

#7 Posted by JairamGanpat (949 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

becausesome people are stupid and primal

essentially

#8 Posted by Jokergeist (4884 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Its called ABC Logic. Sometimes it does work though.

The letter "W" is better then the letter "A" because "W" has has a longer sound.

Sincerely,

#9 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

There are moments when that character does feats makes amaze what he/she/xe/it did. Some people feel insulted that feat is not acknowledged or pales to the other character, that feat was mistaken, or bad writing took effect. They want to show what they watch/read mean something. Even though there is evidence that prove they are wrong they can’t take it and would deny it. It even worst when it something they would not expect.

I digress it take more power to make good character the flaws help make the character, unless that power has negative that goes by it.

#10 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17123 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes it's true and sometimes it isn't. I'm going to use this as an example purely because I watched it last night for no reason

Remember Garlic Jr? From that really boring DBZ filler? He is immortal and supposedly infinitely strong. But is Garlic Jr. a good character? Absolutely not.

Now Takahashi Song could be beaten by pretty much anyone with powers but that doesn't make her a bad character so it just depends.

#11 Posted by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the context of the story and the purpose of the character, I suppose. Their physical strength shouldn't be the key defining trait of the character, of course, but it can be used to some extent to be the basis of that character's personality, like Kenpachi from Bleach. Due to his strength, he's been given a decent amount of over confidence and a desire to find any excuse that allows him to use that strength, and the story provides ample opportunity to show his character on some deeper level (such as his inability to utilise a Bankai because he can't truly communicate with his sword, so to speak).

#12 Edited by Hoarderofhilarity (299 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackWind: Hey I'm only 14 and I like to think I think more deeply about the characters I like than that :(

Characters should be compelling and should show diverse enough emotions to be as multi-faceted as possible

'man is not truly one, but truly two' or at least to an extent because otherwise I see them less as a character and more as simply another piece of the plot.

#13 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, a lot of people like seeing their favourite characters kicking some bottom (such as myself) and some people just take it too far by only liking powerful characters who always kick bottom. It's like when people only support sports teams that are doing well.