Story arcs that everyone, but you seems to like and vice versa?

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JimTheSurfer

Simply name the story arcs, that majority appeared to like, but you for some reason didn't and vice versa.

For me, the ones, that I liked, but others didn't was Dying Wish etc., Clone Saga.

Ones I didn't - Maximum Carnage, Secret Wars.

The Pope.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I'm not a fan of new 52 batman. I find it hard to read I don't like Greg whatever's art.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By judasnixon

Grant Morrison's run on the X-Men. It wasn't bad, I just didn't care for it.........

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

@judasnixon said:

Grant Morrison's run on the X-Men. It wasn't bad, I just didn't care for it.........

Yeah, pretty much.
Also Josh Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.
BB

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Watchmen

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Emperor Joker

It's not that bad, but it could have been much better.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TDK_1997

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run.I wasn't impressed and didn't like it.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Veshark

Arcs everyone loved but I didn't: Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Pride of Baghdad, Brad Meltzer's Justice League, Identity Crisis, Weapon X

Arcs everyone hated but I didn't: I feel like there's something here....but nothing springs to mind at the moment. I'll get back to this when my memory bounces back. EDIT: Dan Slott on Spider-Man, Grant Morrison's Batman run

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OldManDuncan

Never really cared for Civil War, Hush and I forgot the others.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

@Duncan said:

Never really cared for Civil War, Hush and I forgot the others.

A good deal of people hate those too :p
BB

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OldManDuncan

@Billy Batson: Only ever saw the people who liked those.

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OldManDuncan

Oh yeah. Pride of Baghdad and Batman RIP were eh.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#13  Edited By TheCannon

Ones I hated that most seem to love: All-Star Superman, Scott Snyder's run on Batman (it's not that I didn't like it, but it's nowhere near as good as people say it is), and there's one other that I'm forgetting.

Ones I liked that most seem to hate: Civil War, Maximum Carnage (could of been much better, but I still enjoyed it), and Hush (I've noticed a lot of people on this site say it's overrated or something like that. They're wrong. Greatest Batman story ever)

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@TheCannon: how is it possible to hate AllStarSuperman?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Squalleon

@judasnixon said:

Grant Morrison's run on the X-Men. It wasn't bad, I just didn't care for it.........also Batman RIP

And I liked Spiderman : the other

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#16  Edited By TheCannon

@AllStarSuperman said:

Easy. It was bad.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#17  Edited By Teerack

@guttridgeb: Watchman isn't a story arch :P That's like coming into this thread and just posting "Spider-man"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@Teerack: Not really, Watchmen only consists of 12 issues (not counting Before Watchmen which I haven't read) with a story. By definition, it is a story arc.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jorgevy

Ones I hated that most seem to love: Civil War

Ones I liked that most seem to hate: Superman Grounded

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@TheCannon said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Easy. It was bad.

Wow that's like a punch in the face. Its my favorite story ever. What didn't you like about it?

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked "Rise of the Olympian" WW story. Most seem to have no opinion, it's almost never mentioned. Maybe no one else read it?

I hate 90% of Dan Slott's Spider-man work. Spider-Island was a mess on so many levels. I'm stunned anyone liked it. Most story lines I dislike, i can accept differences in taste and opinions. Not with Spider-Island.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Veshark

@AllStarSuperman said:

@TheCannon said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Easy. It was bad.

Wow that's like a punch in the face. Its my favorite story ever. What didn't you like about it?

BLASPHEMMMYYYYY!!!!!

Yeah, it's my favorite comic too. Not to budge in on the conversation, but a friend of mine said that he didn't like the whole Silver Age vibe to the story. He said he didn't enjoy the aesthetic, the sort of 21st century reinvention of the Silver Age, the whole space-age feel that the book had. He's also not a fan of Frank Quitely's art, so I guess it's personal taste. But I think he didn't care for the larger thematic elements of the story either (12 Labors, for example), he prefers more straightforward superhero stories.

I'm not saying these are the reasons why Cannon dislikes the book, but I thought I'd just share the viewpoint my friend had.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmashBrawler

Stuff everyone liked but me: Mark Millar's The Ultimates, Mike Grell's Green Arrow.

Stuff everyone hated but me: Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE (OK, it had its fans, but a lot of people had some kind of gag reflex whenever this comic was mentioned), Thy Kingdom Come (maybe "hate" isn't the appropriate word, but I've seen my fair share of negative reactions to this story).

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@Veshark said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@TheCannon said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Easy. It was bad.

BLASPHEMMMYYYYY!!!!!

Yeah, it's my favorite comic too. Not to budge in on the conversation, but a friend of mine said that he didn't like the whole Silver Age vibe to the story. He said he didn't enjoy the aesthetic, the sort of 21st century reinvention of the Silver Age, the whole space-age feel that the book had. He's also not a fan of Frank Quitely's art, so I guess it's personal taste. But I think he didn't care for the larger thematic elements of the story either (12 Labors, for example), he prefers more straightforward superhero stories.

I'm not saying these are the reasons why Cannon dislikes the book, but I thought I'd just share the viewpoint my friend had.

Weird I loved just about everything about it. And I'm a huge fan of frank quitelys art and grant Morrison writing that's why I liked batman reborn batman and robin so much.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By ImmortalOne

I didn't care for the Dark Knight Returns much. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it as much as some people.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KnightRise

I haven't really liked New 52 Batman, Inc. Not for the obvious reason, mostly the art and storytelling.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dondave

@AllStarSuperman said:

I'm not a fan of new 52 batman. I find it hard to read I don't like Greg whatever's art.

Seconded

Arcs everyone loved but I didn't: Final Crisis

Arcs everyone hated but I didn't: Nemesis By Mark Millar

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@dondave said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Seconded

Arcs everyone loved but I didn't: Final Crisis

Arcs everyone hated but I didn't: Nemesis By Mark Millar

Oh yeah nemesis was awesome!

I read the main story of final crisis but I didnt read all the off shoots and stuff. I didn't care for it.

@ImmortalOne said:

I didn't care for the Dark Knight Returns much. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it as much as some people.

Seconded it wasn't that good. I didn't like the art and their was walls of text. It felt like reading a novel. I did like Carrie Kelly though.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By danhimself

arcs I hate: pretty much anything by Frank Miller....I like/dislike Morrison's stuff....I think almost all of Morrison's work for Marvel and DC would work so much better if he were to use his own characters...and J.M.S.'s Spider-man stuff....just plain horrible...the supernatural stuff shouldn't have been added to Spider-man's origin and I partially blame him for painting Spider-man in to a corner where editorial felt that the only way out was OMD

arcs I love: all of Slott's Spider-man...it's so refreshing to have a Spider-man story where the author had things that actually made sense to be in a Spider-man story

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think TDKR was more "ground breaking" than an awesome story. Kind of a trailblazer. It was the first I'm aware of that showed two folks like Superman and Batman probably wouldn't get along given their world views on justice and methodology. It was the first story I read that implied the Joker and Batman needed each other. Joker needed Batman because only Batman presented him with a real challenge. That only Batman gave what he did any meaning. That, in a way, Joker loves Batman. That Joker fills Batman's desire to justify his obsession, and do what he does, the way he does it, instead of say: joining the police force. These are both themes that have been in the Batman mythos since, that weren't there before.

My main objection to it is Miller gave Batman so many plot devices in his fight with Superman, (Bats powered up, Supes powered down, Help from Green Arrow, easy access to kryptonite, etc..) that some folks still reference it when they want to argue that Batman could beat Superman in a fight. Usually not even aware of all the circumstances that Batman had to have in his favor to even have a chance. (I'm talking more debates on Facebook and such, and not here on the Vine.)

Kangaxx_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kangaxx_54

I didn't like TDKR very much, either. It was the first Batman comic that I read, due to recommendations, but it was too far from what I imagined Batman to be (and what he is in many of the current comics). Not really a fan of Carrie ?? as Robin either.

On the other hand, and I know that I'll get a lot of flak from this, I did find All Star Batman & Robin very funny. It has tons of problematic issues ofc, and it's no way or form remotely close to canon. I read quite a lot of fanfiction, so that might be why I can enjoy the very different view.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RustyRoy

Return of Bruce Wayne : I love it but many people seem to hate it.

Schism : I don't hate it but Cyclops was out of character so was wolverine,the roles were basically reversed.