Steve Orlando and Tom King Discuss Shazam and Green Lantern 'Darkseid War' One-Shots

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Darkseid War has done some crazy things to some of the members of the Justice League. Many of them have gained the powers of gods and are more powerful than every imagined before. Coming out on November 11 are two new books that take a closer look at members of the league and how the event has affected them: SHAZAM, written by Steve Orlando with art by Scott Kolins, and GREEN LANTERN, written by Tom King with art from Evan Shaner.

We talked to the writers of the two books over the phone and started the conversation with Steve Orlando.

COMIC VINE: What's going on in this story?

Cover by Francis Manapul
Cover by Francis Manapul

STEVE ORLANDO: DARKSEID WAR: SHAZAM is all about the fact that as you left the latest issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE, you saw some new voices in Shazam's head. Darkseid's death sent a shockwave that causes a momentary disruption to his pantheon. We see, in that moment, some new gods move in, and all of the SHAZAM issue is about understanding and finding out that he was powered by gods, which he wasn't really sure about, but now he has to deal with all these new ones. Maybe some of them have their own plans for what Shazam means to them and it's more of an opportunity to them.

We give Shazam all new, all different, all weird powers. He's going to fight to take control of them against various people in his head and they're trying to break out.

CV: What are some of his new powers that we'll be seeing?

ORLANDO: You'll see from almost page one he has a new offensive ability. He has a speech balloon that has flames around it, so there's probably going to be something to do with some new fire powers that he has, but at the same time, some of his powers are more subtle. People think of Shazam as a brawler and magic user but some of his powers like wisdom, they're a little more subtle. We've done a bit of restructuring of what his powers do to his personality and that has to do with some of the brand new DCU gods that are going to be giving him these powers. Maybe he's looking at things in a different way. Maybe he's going looking at situations in a different way. It's not all about the fact he can shoot new things. He's got people in his head from all different walks of life. All different pantheons. Things that are older than the New Gods. Things coming from all parts of the DC Universe. He's looking at his life and the world in a whole new way.

CV: Billy has the voices of the gods in his head. Mentally, how is that going to affect him in this story?

ORLANDO: It forces to think out what Shazam really is. Because certainly it's about how gods perceive us and how they want to use us and if they get a chance. Gods are boastful and have egos. They spend a millennia being worshiped, and so the new voices in Billy's heads have an effect on him. He's got to assert himself. He's a teenage kid from Philadelphia that has to find a way to tame these insurmountable, cosmic egos.

CV: Billy isn't a weak character, but he's still a kid. How does that come into play?

ORLANDO: It's a fine point. He's not in any a weak character, but he's still a kid and he get scared and confused. At the end of the day, especially Billy, he doesn't like being used and doesn't like being told what to do. When you're a kid, you almost don't realize what you're saying when you react. You don't think about who you're talking to. You just say things. I think it's perfect for him to be who he is right now, for this story. He's talking back and talking down to people. He has no business giving them attitude. They're older than the universe, but when you're a kid and rebelling, you're full of this youthful idealism and you think you're the most important thing and maybe you are the are. I think a lot of characters would react differently to these gods. Billy says what he wants to say and doesn't like to be pushed around and he doesn't care who he says it to. I think that's what teenage life is like and it's a perfect starting point to get the story going.

Next, we talked to Tom King about his DARKSEID WAR: GREEN LANTERN book.

Cover by Francis Manapul
Cover by Francis Manapul

CV: What's going on in this story?

TOM KING: When Darkseid died all these parademons they fled the planet and they were attracted to the most powerful planet around and that was Oa, the home of the Grene Lantern Corps. They terraform it. They kill all the Green Lanterns. They kill John Stewart, Kilowog, Tomar Re. They're looking for the energy on the planet and they realize that the Green Lanterns' willforce is without precognition without consciousness, so they need a god to guide their new way. They literally need to find new gods and that's when Hal Jordan arrives. It's about Hal Jordan making a choice whether or not to become a god. It's a 22-page character piece about that decision and who Hal Jordan is and what it means to be a god and what that means to him as a person. It also deals with faith and other issues.

CV: That's a big thing you explore in this issue. This does delve into faith within Hal's past, as a child. What can you tell us about that scene and putting it into this book?

KING: As a guy of mixed faith, I'm half-Jewish and half-Protistan and my wife is half-Jewish, half-Catholic, it was very nice to emphasize that Hal Jordan is mixed-faith, with is father being Jewish and his mother being Catholic. It was already hinted at a bunch of times, but I wanted to solidify that and what that means to a person and what God is and what God makes you do in the clash of your upbringing. It's a pretty deep issue for a super-hero book. We start out with Hal sort of being this character that's from two different religious traditions is being asked to create his own religious tradition.

CV: Within "Darkseid War," Hal has seen his friends get powers from the gods. Where's Hal's mindset during this? Does he have ill-feelings towards those close to him with all of this?

KING: Hal is the most fun character to write in the DC Universe and I say this as the guy who writes Dick Grayson. Hal is so confident and so cocky. To me, he's like Captain Kirk in the original Star Trek series. He's the guy who can look gods in the eyes and say "no." Hal is a pilot and every test pilot has a god complex. He already thinks he's a god, he's just missing the powers. To him, it's not as impressive as it is to everyone else. Hal's the only one that doesn't seem afraid to Batman. I feel that same way about the gods. He sees right through them. To him, it's not as a big of a deal as everyone else, and he sees more of the moral conundrums that come along with it.

CV: Current continuity Hal Jordan is in a very different place than the Hal Jordan we see in JUSTICE LEAGUE. How did the version we see come to be?

KING: I'm a huge fan of Robert Venditti is doing. He's a buddy of mine and helped me in the industry. People should read GREEN LANTERN now. It's brilliant and beautiful. Basically when I came to the project, Geoff Johns was the showrunner of this. I ask Geoff which Green Lantern fits into his story. He said, "This is the Green Lantern," and I just went with that. I think Hal Jordan in Venditti's run would be just as fun to write. Those were just the parameters I was given and went from there. However, Doc Shaner draws his so classically here.

CV: It's great to see not only Doc Shaner on Green Lantern but also Scott Kolins on Shazam. Those are two artists I feel we don't get to see enough.

KING: Yeah! I agree with you. Doc Shaner should draw all the comics, but he's real lazy and draws just one at a time. [laughs] He should do more.

ORLANDO: This was a great opportunity to work with Scott, as a guy growing up reading his runs on FLASH. Beyond that, having Scott to design some of the DCU Cosmic realm that we're putting in through this book. They're brand new in the DC Universe and Scott's so spot on with all the weird stuff I send him and the strange images that go into my reference file. He still brought that classic Kirby power that I think makes the designs timeless. It's an insane opportunity. Thank God I got it. He did an amazing job and brings an energy to the book that works with the Fourth World stuff.

Thanks to Steve Orlando and Tom King for chatting with us and make sure to check out JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE DARKSEID WAR: SHAZAM and GREEN LANTERN when they hit stores on Wednesday, November 11.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Wait a second- John Stewart and Kilowag are dead? When did this happen?

It appears they are going to turn the GL corps into the Nova corps.

Scistorm4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, with the GL Corps all dead here, it looks like time travel will be the solution to this mess.

I was really expecting something a bit more creative, honestly.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I may actually be able to enjoy Billy's one shot since it's going to be more about him and the power of the New Gods, and less about his horribly out of character personality.

Loving everything I'm hearing about GL, Tom King really seems to have a good grasp on Hal as a character.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MaxSavage

Cant wait, hopefully Billy permanently stays like this. I personally never found Captain Marvel interesting, because I didn't think Billy was interesting. Billy is as interesting as a 10 year old with superpowers, that's it..

He needs dimension, give him passive-aggressive God voices in his head!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: Maybe to you, but frankly I found the story of a good kid dealing with an awful life and still managing to stay good to be a really compelling character story. That alone was compelling and the superpowers added a new dimension. Billy's story was similar to Superman or Captain America, someone who's almost too kind and has to face a much more cynical world, the only difference being that as a kid the burden always hit him a bit harder, and made his challenges a bit more challenging.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MaxSavage

@captainmarvel4ever: The moment Billy got powers, his cynical world should have changed for the better. It make no sense for Billy to be able to do what he can do and still go home to a miserably life. It's an unrealistic and dated form of character development. He needs to "be more"/ "do more" to be of interest and taken seriously as a character than just a "good" kid with superpowers.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: Sure it is, just because he has super powers doesn't mean his life as a regular boy becomes better. Having powers just means he has the chance to stand up and make a difference. It's also not dated, it still works for a lot of heroes, trying to be good when being good isn't easy, and unlike those other heroes he's a kid.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MaxSavage

@captainmarvel4ever: Why wouldn't it be? Nobody is saying he should go rob banks,but he's Captain Marvel, he's literally Superman 2.0.

All he has to do is go find a single rare mineral, sell it and half his problems are gone right then and there!

He can still stand up to the bad guys, still not abuse his powers when he gets bullied, but he needs a better background than he's homeless, but somehow still happens to be a "good person".

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

"John Stewart, Tomar Re, and Kilowog are dead."

Loading Video...

At least Shazam sounds good.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: No, Cap and Supes are very different, Billy is a character based in magic and myth, while Supes is a much more sci-fi based character. There's also the fact that Billy is a kid, and has a very different supporting cast.

It's not about money, in most stories financial troubles aren't necessarily Billy's problem (plus I doubt Billy would look for an easy fix like that, or that he could just randomly find some rare mineral and then poof everything's solved), it's being good in a world that nowadays looks down on that.

Why? that seems pretty good to me, and once again he's not usually homeless, and when he is it's in the beginning of a series.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever:

I compared him to Superman in terms of power-set.

However, I see we stand oppose to how the character should be. I will say though, while I do appreciate what he is, I think Billy Batson could be a better, more dimensional person and character, and a lot more interesting than what he currently is.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Parademons killed every single GL…Parademons…

People are gonna have to stop hyping up lantern vs silver surfer matches here.

A parademon is enough

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Shazam stays like this... have the powers of the new gods would be so much better/interesting.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: Yeah, not very similar, other then super strength, speed, and flight (something roughly 100 other super heroes have) they don't share any other powers, and the basis for their powers are completely different. He's more like Wonder Woman in terms of powers.

Well, currently he's not like himself at all in the main continuity so no argument there.

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goonage: I don't think it will be time travel, John was seen on the cover for a future issue so probably by the end of the issue the whole Green Lantern situation will be fixed... it's Tom King I have faith he won't do something look time travel

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Ok...I mean who he gets compared to in statue. Like you think of Captain Marvel and I say associate him with another superhero, who first comes to mind? Like That.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: Well first heroes that come to my mind personally are Wonder Woman and Miracle Man

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By darkdetective27

@maxsavage: What is exactly the problem with Captain Marvel? That he does the right thing and helps people without asking for anything in return? Maybe he just wants to do the right thing instead of cheating through life. Also what makes a hero have more depth in your opinion misery and angst? He is a hero of light and optimism. He doesnt need to be Batman with super powers.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MaxSavage

@darkdetective27: I said none of those things, in fact, there is nothing wrong with Billy being good and helping, that's not a problem. The problem is that, that's it, he helps people and he's a good kid.

He needs more layers. Make him interact with his pantheons more, make him more mature, while still being a kid; like being stubborn, acting tough when he's afraid, getting frustrate etc, give him better villains, personal villains...

As I keep saying, I think Billy is an ok character, but could be levels better than what he currently is.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: I personally feel he's fine the way he is. He is a good reminder of characters from the Golden Age. When characters were simpler and stood up for goodness and all that is right and didnt ask for anything in return, but clearly men in tights need more depth and be realistic.

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really need to start reading this entire storyline. It sounds like they did a much better version of amping up the characters powers versus the mostly vague power ups in Marvel's Black Vortex storyline.

Since this is outside of the New 52 continuity, will they be continuing these versions of the JL after it is over?

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxsavage: Im probably acting a little too agressive towards you. Its just he was one of my absolute favorite superheroes and then the New 52 came along and ruined his character to fit what modern readers want in characters more realistic and edgy characters with "depth" that take themselves way too seriously and the worst part is that Geoff Johns had him robbing an atm for cheeseburgers and I still havent got over it.

MaxSavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MaxSavage

@darkdetective27: Your sarcasm is noted, but unnecessary and I said nothing about "realism" either. The way Billy' character is, makes him limited in the stories that can be told about him. As you say, he is a Golden Age character and yet a lot of famous Golden Age character we know and love were changed because as the times change, so do readers, and yes while some characters are timeless, changes are needed to keep characters fresh . Big example, DC revamping the Flash when they introduced Barry Allen and the speed force and selfing Jay Garrick, same with changing the origins of Green Lantern from Alan Scott to Hal Jordan .

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kid_jakeriv

@dredd_78: It's in New 52 continuity. It was just takes place before the current events of Batman and Superman

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@goonage said:

Wait a second- John Stewart and Kilowag are dead? When did this happen?

It appears they are going to turn the GL corps into the Nova corps.

I was wondering too. Maybe Hal is the God of Life or something and brings them back.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Hopefully Cyborg appears in the Shazam one-shot.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Heatforce

I'm down with Hal becoming a god. I'm enjoying the team being gods I just hope the creators show them doing godly things. Like superman's the god of strength now, show him juggling planets or something lol. Oh and please make cyborg a god. The god of metal has a nice ring to it.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those covers though...

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hopefully this is a test run for a Shazam solo series. Really dying for that to happen.

arw1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By arw1985
Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Sounds cool. Hope the other GL's don't stay dead.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

WOW,these 2 one shots were head and shoulders above the others and the Darkseid War storyline as a whole,f*cking fantastic. King should be given a GL book ASAP and Orlando should write either New Gods or Shazam.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

WOW,these 2 one shots were head and shoulders above the others and the Darkseid War storyline as a whole,f*cking fantastic. King should be given a GL book ASAP and Orlando should write either New Gods or Shazam.

Seriously, they're that good apparently? I was a little thrown by King indicating that direct religious faith would play a role in a story about cosmic New Gods and demons. And that's a first for me because I've enjoyed King's other work on Grayson and Vision.

arcanepayaso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By arcanepayaso

CV: Within "Darkseid War," Hal has seen his friends get powers from the gods. Where's Hal's mindset during this? Does he have ill-feelings towards those close to him with all of this?

Tom King just completely dodged that question. What is he hiding!

I'd much rather read Shazam but Green Lantern also sounds promising

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mysoulz

@lvenger said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Seriously, they're that good apparently? I was a little thrown by King indicating that direct religious faith would play a role in a story about cosmic New Gods and demons. And that's a first for me because I've enjoyed King's other work on Grayson and Vision.

Tom King has used religious faith in other instances in comics, because he went to college to study those particular subjects.

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Parademons killed every single GL…Parademons…

People are gonna have to stop hyping up lantern vs silver surfer matches here.

A parademon is enough

you are missing the point. there was an almost infinite number of parademons. they beat the lanterns through sheer numbers.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#38  Edited By The Impersonator

They really need to get this continuity mess straight and fixed.

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nite_Nite

@bobthened: I read it. They killed gaurdians too.

I didn't miss anything really. The lanterns aren't capable of all that super destruction people claim they are in battles. Especially in battles where Silver Surfer is concerned. Where was all that nanosecond reactions and planetary durability? Unless the parademons got powered up by Speedforce and OE somehow post F and I missed it...

They're fodder. A single lantern should be able to handle a hundred of them. Let alone the gaurdians were there. So time to stop putting those little guys up against skyfathers in marvel too.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: That's fair enough, the part I originally had a problem with was King making Hal's parents Jewish and Catholic because his parents were of those religious faiths respectively. Other than that, I read this issue yesterday and I am glad I was wrong about the quality of this comic, it's easily the best of The Darkseid War tie ins and DC really need to make sure they keep King around to write for them.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yea, writers often times use other talents and apply it in comics. Van Jensen was also a crime journalist, which is the reason there was an investigation scene in GLC with flashbacks in a single issue like what you would see in crime dramas. He's also working with Venditti in the Flash title, which is for the same reason. About the quality of King's writing, sometimes I can't help but think there's some parts that seems to be fan fic. Other than that, it's probably the best Hal story (love the flashbacks) and Darkseid War tie-in. He should stick around and write Green Lantern.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: And Soule is a lawyer so he'll be using that in Daredevil as he has in his other comic work which is another example of your point. Which parts of King's writing were fan fic? The obsessive and over used beefcake/tongue in cheek objectification of Dick Grayson in Grayson is pretty overused at this point but it doesn't detract from the story. Anyway, I really enjoyed King's Green Lantern Darkseid War tie in, it was so much better than anything Venditti has done with the character so far, I just can't get into Venditti's Green Lantern stuff. I don't know if they were flashbacks though, they might have been within Hal's mind given that the other pilot's jacket said 'Jordan' at one point like an older Hal empathising with his younger self still traumatised by the loss. I'd love it if he wrote Green Lantern with all the high praise Omega Men is getting.