Starting Green Lantern...

frangipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Really wanna start green lantern I have searched around but i cant seem to find a place to start help please!

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For the main series, I'd recommend you start with Secret Origin.

The rest goes in this order, with asterisks for where each of the optional spin-offs start.

1. Rebirth
2. No Fear
3. Revenge of the Green Lanterns
4. Wanted: Hal Jordan
5. Sinestro Corps War Part 1
6. Sinestro Corps War Part 2
7. Rage of the Red Lanterns
8. Agent Orange
9. Blackest Night & Green Lantern: Blackest Night (need to be read together)
10. Green Lantern: Brightest Day (you don't need to read the main Brightest day series)
11. War of the Green Lanterns

12. Sinestro
13. Revenge of Black Hand

14. The End (Hasn't been released yet)

*Green Lantern Corps starts around the time of Revenge of the Green Lanterns. Not necessary to understand the main series, but it goes into a lot more depth with the characters and setting beyond Hal Jordan.

1. Recharge
2. To be a Lantern
3. The Dark Side of green
(Then it's collected inSinestro Corps War)
4. Ring Quest
5. Sins of the Star Sapphire
6. Emerald Eclipse
7. Green Lantern Corps: Blackest Night
8. Revolt of the Alpha Lanterns
9. The Weaponeer
(Then it's collected in War of the Green Lanterns)
10. War of the Green Lanterns Aftermath
11. Fearsome
12. Alpha War
13. Willpower (Hasn't been released yet)

**Ion: Guardian of the Universe also starts around the same time as Revenge of the Green Lanterns, then ends just before Sinestro Corps War. It adds slightly to the Sinestro Corps War and some of Green Lantern Corps, but is mostly just an epilogue to the series prior to Rebirth.

1. Torch Bearer
2. The Dying Flame

***Emerald warriors starts around Brightest Day, but only has one volume before getting collected in War of the Green Lanterns and Aftermath. It continues the plot of Green Lantern Corps, but barely has anything to do with the main series.

1. Emerald Warriors

****New Guardians starts at the same time as Sinestro, and ties into several of the events of the other books, but isn't necessary to understand them.

1. The Ring Rearer
2. Beyond Hope
(Rest hasn't been released yet)

*****Red Lanterns also starts during Sinestro. It ties in even less with the other books at first, but gradually becomes more relevant.

1. Blood and Rage
2. The Death of the Red Lanterns
(Rest hasn't been released yet)

******Larfleeze starts after all of the above, but hasn't been collected yet.

So yeah... Even if you just stick to the main series, it's a lot to take in.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By sinestro_GL

@frangipan: It depends on how much you know about Superman: The Death and Return of Superman, and how Hal Jordan is related to its aftermath.

Additionally, I also think that you shouldn't exclude Kyle Rayner as the main GL either (as he was in some pretty good arcs as well).

So, as @colonelrunaway suggested, Green Lantern: Secret Origin is probably the best place to start, then if you can't get your hands on any of the Death and Return of Superman, then I suggest you read our Wiki on the subject and how Hal Jordan is involved.

Then pretty much the order that colonelrunaway recommended, but understandably you may not be able to get your hands on all of that...so, you should definitely check out these arcs as a minimum: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, War of the Green Lanterns, Sinestro

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Ignore Rebirth (it's total crap)

Man, I love that story.

Too much win in issue #6.

I know that there those that have issues with Rebirth, but I ain't one of them :P

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

You could follow the above list, or you could just start reading GL with Green Lantern #21. It's a good, recent jumping on point.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hawkguy

@the_tree said:

You could follow the above list, or you could just start reading GL with Green Lantern #21. It's a good jumping on point.

I agree. I read Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night and Brightest day, and although I don't know EVERYTHING, I got the jist of it. I know the characters, their personalities and etc.. If you jump on where Venditti started or even the start of the N52 with trades, you should be fine.

Although @colonelrunaway's list is epic, it would cost you a pretty penny to read all that (unless you torrent it all of course).

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@the_tree said:

You could follow the above list, or you could just start reading GL with Green Lantern #21. It's a good, recent jumping on point.

I agree with this if you're looking to jump into the current ongoing quickly. If you want to read from the real beginning, start at Green Lantern: Rebirth (good story) and read through all of Geoff John's run on Green Lantern up until now. I suggest you read through all of it imo.

frangipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks alot guys!

frangipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonelrunaway I have just finished rebirth and have just been looking at the next on your list no fear. I enjoyed rebirth but i'm not sure if i want to read another hal jordan story its not that i dont like him as a charactor but i'm intrested to learn more about the other lanterns. I noticed that you said Green Lantern corps goes into a lot more depth with the characters and setting beyond Hal Jordan. What I was wondering is would I understand green lantern corps without reading no fear and revenge of the green lanterns?

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ColonelRunAway

@frangipan: You could probably jump to Green Lantern Corps with no problems. At least up to the Sinestro Corps War.

frangipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By frangipan

bump

frangipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frangipan

@sinestro_gl I've read rebirth, secret origin and no fear. I s it worth reading revenge of the green lanterns and wanted: hal jordan, or shell I skip to sinestro corps war because everyone says that is epic!