Star Wars, Force Flight

neviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I haven't found much on this. I suppose I'm satisfied with believing that it's akin to any other rarely mastered force power: Raising the dead, Vaapad, etc. But as I re watch The Clone Wars I can't help but ask, if force users can move objects many times heavier than they themselves are with seeming ease, why is flying, or even floating or levitating such a chore? Wookiepedia is lacking on the subject. Force Flight

Force Flight was a Force power that enabled the user to telekinectically move themselves toward a specific destination, taking levitation (see above) to an extreme degree. To use this Force power took a great deal of concentration.

The Dark JediMaw was skilled in this power. After having his lower body severed by the JediQu Rahn, Maw initially relied on a repulsorlift for transport, but he soon learned to wield Force Flight so well that it became second nature. Darth Tyranus,[30]Darth Vader, and Darth Sidious[31]may have also possessed this power, being able to hover above the ground in standard gravity. The Dark JediYun may have possessed this ability as well, to some degree. His master, Jerec, also possessed this power, demonstrating it in the Valley of the Jedi. Luke Skywalker could use this power, as he demonstrated on several occasions. His wife had also learned this skill by 40 ABY. The ancient Sith Lord Darth Thanaton was also able to use the Force to levitate, yet with better control to such a degree that he could indeed fly.[9]Ganner Rhysode once mentioned to Corran Horn that he could levitate them both for almost a kilometer—but that it would be highly energy-consuming. It is possible that Force Flight had some relation to Floating Meditation, a meditation technique where the user floated several inches off the ground during meditation.

Perhaps the accuracy involved? Or is such a constant level of concentration required that doing anything but levitating not at all practical? When Yoda lifted Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp it seemed like a sustained and deep concentration, even for Yoda, whereas something like a force push, or even a soft landing after a long fall would be a short burst of force concentration. Does anyone have any more knowledge of lore on this?

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Cave_Duck

I think it'd be mostly the concentration involved, things like slowing down during a fall would be like you said- a quick burst of concentration.

Outside of canon though: my guess is it's just to try and stop writers from making Jedi massively overpowered. Flying is a common "superpower" and Star Wars always tried to ground its universe outside of one with superheroes- if you get what I mean.