Star Wars Character Tiering - 10-1

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@shootingnova: Judging by Corran's better achievements against Yuuzhan Vong than most, and defeating Shedao Shai (he wasn't as hindered as Jaina, so it should count less, but it's still defeating an opponent of that level), I would put him on Tier 7 as saberist too, I think.

I wouldn't put Leia higher than lvl 7 in terms of sheer lightsaber skill actually, but yes, definitely 8 in terms of Force power, and pretty much anything regarding the Force.

Saba as a fencer - bottom tier 8, I think.

I'm not coming up with more so far, I've already flooded the topic. :P

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jkbart: It depends on where Alema Rar is placed. Which reminds me, Alema is probably tier 7/8 for Force power.

I'm more willing to put Saba in the middle of tier 8, rather than at the lower end.

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By okayalright_44

Lightsaber skill

Tier 10

• Luke (stands alone)

Tier 9

High

• Sidious Rots/RotJ/DE
  • Yoda
  • Jacen Solo/Darth Cadeus

Mid

• Dooku
  • Anakin Skywalker (according to Gillard, fighting ability and accomplishments)
  • Mace Windu

Low

• Jaina Solo?

Not sure yet

Tier 8

High

• Darth Vader. Due to him being only equal ROTJ Luke
  • Obi-wan, Lumiya Darth Maul, Ventress, General Grievous,Kit Fisto and Exar Kun.
  • Plo Koon, Ulic and Agen Kolar

Low-Mid

• Saesse Tinn

Tier 7

High

• Darth Malgus / Kyle Katarn / Sora Bulq
  • Qui-Gon Jinn / Quinlan Vos / Vodo-Siosk Baas/Shaak Ti/Ki-Adi-Mundi/Darth Krayt

Low-Mid

• Adi Gallia / Luminara Unduli / Cin Drallig / Ven Zallow/Aayla Secura (beat Aurra and held her against Vos)

Tier 6

1. Xesh
  2. Tholme , Aurra Sing , Skal'nas , Daegen Lok, Anoon Bondara (due to accolades)

Force Power

I pretty much agree with you on everything. All though I'd argue Mace Windu is in the same tier as Ventress and Plo Koon, only slightly lower. Given his feats on Dantooine against the Droid, shoving AT-TEs, throwing Droids 3 kilometers and such.

And Darth Krayt applying successful force drain on Abeloth and Luke, having his force felt across by every Sith across the Galaxy with a Force scream, and being considered one of the most powerful Sith in History, would definitely put him at least a Tier 7 spot.

Tier 6

High

• Shaak Ti, Obi-wan, Ulic, Exar Kun

Mid

• Qui-gon Jinn, Sora Bulc, Ki-Adi-Mundi

And the Overall is little bit more difficult for me right now, but I'll try later.

@i_like_swords I put in bold and underlined the ones I thought you should add.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@okayalright_44: Not sure if Anakin is above Mace as a swordsman in terms of sheer skill.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not seeing how Saesee is above Ulic either, he is nothing but accolades and perhaps a sparring match with a (pre??)-prime Windu.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Updated listing:

Lightsaber Skill

Tier 8

• Jaina Solo (placed at the top of tier 8 alongside Kenobi, Ventress, Maul ect)
  • Agen Kolar likewise has been put alongside Obi-Wan, until somebody disputes this effectively, which in my experience I rarely see happen. Like Nova said, he isn't well documented but from what we do have of him, he is an incredibly skilled swordsman for his time or of any era.
  • Lumiya likewise is now at the top of tier 8.
  • Saesee Tiin is now the first to be placed at the bottom of tier 8.

Tier 7

• Corran Horn and Neja Halcyon are now placed alongside Qui-Gon Jinn ect.
  • Leia Solo is now at the top of tier 7
  • Anakin Solo is placed in mid-tier 7
  • Ki-Adi-Mundi is placed in mid-tier 7
  • Darth Krayt is placed in mid-tier 7
  • At my discretion and with okayalright's endorsement, I'm moving Aayla up to the bottom of tier 7.

Tier 6

• Aurra Sing is now placed in tier 6
  • Anoon Bondara is now placed in tier 6

Force Power

Tier 8

• Darth Traya has been moved above Revan.
  • Leia Organa Solo is placed alongside Malgus.

Tier 7

• Mara Jade Skywalker is placed in tier 7
  • Corran Horn is placed in tier 7
  • Neja Halcyon is placed in tier 7
  • Saesee Tiin is placed alongside Plo Koon
  • Mace Windu is placed alongside Asajj Ventress

Tier 6

• Obi-Wan Kenobi introduces Tier 6 of Force power.

Overall

Tier 7

• Mara is placed in tier 7 overall, alongside Obi-Wan.
  • Leia is placed in tier 7 overall, alongside Obi-Wan.

Characters Who Require More Discussion

Darth Malak, Darth Krayt, Cade Skywalker, Saba Sebatyne, Alema Rar, Shaak Ti.

• Malak, Krayt, Cade and Alema have been tiered roughly, I would just like to see one or two people discuss where exactly in which tier these characters should go
  • Saba's accolade from Caedus is up for discussion in regards to how high it elevates her, as I've seen conflicting views on this in general. However if nobody ends up disputing where Nova places her I'll trust his judgement.
  • I personally disagree with where okayalright has placed Ti in both lightsaber skill and force power. She is below Qui-Gon Jinn as a duelist by one notch, but in the same tier, and she is at the top of tier 7 for Force power as per her showings in TFU against Galen Marek.

If I missed one of your placings I would ask that you bring it up to me and give some level of detail for why you're placing that character there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, it goes without saying, if you disagree with anything listed above let me know and a debate can be opened.

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: That wasn't meant to be in order, sorry. I mean to place Mace, Dooku and Anakin at around the same mid-upper level of Tier 9.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krayt was tossing around Cade until Cade cheapshotted him, held his own and even got some kicks on ROTS Kenobi before his prime, blitzed 4 fodder IKS, beat Wyyrlok, beat Celeste Morne, and for the most part was likely the greatest of his era (he also has the accolade of being one of the most powerful Sith lords in Galactic history). He should at least be low tier 8/top tier 7 in dueling skill.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone have any evidence for Tiin being superior to Bulq, Krayt, Katarn, or Malgus as a duelist other than a sparring match, the same accolade every PT duelist has (as being the best of the order), and reputation? I'm not seeing it, personally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Question i read your rules, but when it comes to the force are we counting height of power or just avg power? Ik its kinda silly, but there are times where technically speaking height of power could be a game changer when rating the sith and jedi. Example Revan before the upgrade in Kotor would prolly be like tier 5 or 6, but with that upgrade prolly tier 7 or 8.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerwasp: I'm using everyone in their prime, using only actualized power. So average showings as well their very best power showings, as long as there are no circumstances like external amps.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnface said:

Does anyone have any evidence for Tiin being superior to Bulq, Krayt, Katarn, or Malgus as a duelist other than a sparring match, the same accolade every PT duelist has (as being the best of the order), and reputation? I'm not seeing it, personally.

I'm sort of of a mind with you, to be honest. I don't know if we have enough on Tiin to put him quite in tier 8... I think bottom of tier 8 or top of tier 7 is fair though. His accolades are about as good as you're going to get outside of Windu, Dooku and Yoda's, and his sparring match with Mace does indicate parity considering Mace has no issue with humbling someone during sparring in order to point out their flaws. You would need to be tier 8 to show that level of parity.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Yeah just needed to know per say on that, and as for the amps of course of course its within ur rules no relics and so on. Just wanted to make sure. However, another question you mind if I sit back and let the list be formed then debate on where people should be at? I'd prolly have a better time/impact on that due to the fact that i could make my list like most, but I think a baseline of overall known characters would serve better for future gauging. Note of course ill throw in a few characters if i haven't already seen them up there, just rather allow the list to build up with known characters and such rather than creating the 100th list and then judging from there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some new listings:

Force Power

Tier 7

• Sora Bulq ranked alongside Ventress and Windu

Tier 6

• Quinlan Vos ranked alongside Kenobi

Overall

Tier 7

• Sora Bulq ranked alongside Kenobi and Ventress
  • Plo Koon ranked alongside Kenobi and Ventress
  • Kit Fisto ranked alongside Kenobi and Ventress
  • Mace Windu ranked alongside Darth Maul

Tier 6

• Quinlan Vos placed in mid-tier 6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerwasp: I'm fine with you doing that, helping flesh out the list is just as helpful as making your own, possibly more helpful because of how concise your criticisms would be. And feel free to throw out characters who you can't find on a specific list, i.e I'm trying to bulk up the Overall List just now.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By GeorgeWBush

@i_like_swords I really don't see a sparring match as superior to the showings of Katarn, Bulq, or Malgus all of which have trounced fighters prior to their primes (in the case of Katarn/Malgus), and Bulq outright beating Tholme and holding his own against Windu. I'm not dismissing he should be tier 8, though. Just very little evidence suggests he is superior to Katarn, Krayt, Malgus, Bulq, or maybe even Mundi. They should be raised to bottom of tier 8 if he can get there based on accolades/supposition on a sparring match

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnface: I think the sparring match in combination with accolades allows him to be in the same tier as Maul ect, just at the bottom. If he had concrete feats he'd likely be on-par with Maul in a similar manner to Agen Kolar, but all we know of Tiin is that he's good enough not to be trounced in sparring like, say, Vos, and that he's one of the very best in the Order and potentially in all of Jedi history.

The combination of those things puts him tier 8 and ahead of Malgus and Katarn IMO. Neither have comparable accolades, and neither have enough on their resume to suggest that Mace Windu wouldn't find fault in their form whilst sparring for the same amount of time Tiin and Vos sparred Windu (wherein Vos' form was found to be at fault, whilst Tiin's wasn't).

I'm not against moving the top tier 7s up to bottom tier 8, though. Just depends on how generous you want to be, because for example I see Maul as one tier ahead of Malgus and Katarn as a duelist. Putting them in the same tier dilutes how far ahead Maul is of Malgus and Katarn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnface: Basically what I'm saying on the front of Malgus, Katarn ect is that I want it to remain clear that they are a tier down from Maul and Kenobi as duelists. If we put too many people in the same tier then, as a guideline, the list becomes diluted and we have far more tier 8s than we need.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GeorgeWBush

@i_like_swordsDrallig, Bondara, and Shaak Ti have the same accolade, and neither of them have superior showings to either Katarn or Malgus. If you're going to argue that he is a high tier "duelist" based on reputation, then he needs corresponding showings to validate his placement. I'm seeing no reason why Katarn (who was considered a threat by Caedus) and Malgus (who Palpatine said his feats in battle were never replicated) are beneath him when they actual have showings validating their skill. If you have any reason apart from Mace's opinion (he lavishes Depa with the same praise), Mace's opinion is only half reliable in determining his skill. Adding Malgus as a low tier 8 wouldn't diminish Maul's stature given Maul's dueling feats heavily outweigh either Malgus or Katarns, they are completely different comparisons. How would adding them to tier 8 dilute Maul's/Kenobi's/Ventress's showings when Maul beating Jinn/fighting evenly with Mace Windu are already superior showings to anything by Katarn or Malgus? Tiin has no showings in actual dueling skill that are even capable of being referenced to put him above Jinn whom Maul beat. He can stay tier 8 but in terms of objective showings, he has virtually nothing other than his accolades and a sparring match (with a Windu who wasn't even his prime). Nothing shows he'd beat Malgus, Katarn, Krayt, or Mundi in a duel

Point 2: I'm not seeing why numbers in a tier is an issue. If a character has comparable showings of skill, has accolades to correspond to their skill, and or feats of skill that can be grouped accordingly- does it really matter how many fighters are in the tier?

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By okayalright_44

@i_like_swords: I agree with what you said about Shaak.

Where would put Ben Skywalker at @shootingnova? I would think he's a solid 7 in skill going by your analysis of him vs ESB Luke.

Ben by FotJ's end would win, probably. Luke should pose some threat, but Ben should win about 7-8/10, maybe a little more. He's at least as skilled, faster, and possibly more powerful. Luke is underrated - he is stated to have at least somewhat challenged his father, who was much more deadly a fighter than he was in ANH, and Luke has feats such as Deflecting objects that were telekinetically hurled at him, taming Dragonsnakes, and activating machinery across Cloud City, showings which display remarkable control and mastery of the Force for somebody with so minimal training.

That being said, Ben is just better. He has faced Abeloth and Lost Tribe Sith before, which makes him more experienced than Luke (and Luke is relatively inexperienced at this point in time, and sources have told us that his inexperience was a factor in fights). Ben has avoided a myriad of blaster bolts and Force Lightning blasts whilst deprived of a lightsaber, which should reflect greater combat and reaction speed as well as agility, and he should have greater Force mastery based on utilizing Mind Tricks without the usage of either a voice or gesture, and displaying Flow-walking. For skill, he has beaten multiple Sith at once on a potent dark side nexus, has fought evenly with Tahiri Veila (years before FotJ), and has beaten a myriad of other Lost Tribe Sith.

Luke's raw talent with a blade might match Ben's, whose lack of early training hindered his development, but his skill picked up considerably during his travels with his father, so as far as combative adroitness goes, they should be roughly parallel, or Ben has an edge. Ben should be faster, more experienced, and more controlled and masterful. For that, I would give him the edge, in a good fight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnface:

Drallig and Shaak Ti have the same accolade, and neither of them have superior showings to either Katarn or Malgus. If you're going to argue that he is a high tier "duelist" based on reputation, then he needs corresponding showings to validate his placement.

They do, yes, but they don't have the accompanying sparring match.

I'm seeing no reason why Katarn (who was considered a threat by Caedus) and Malgus (who Palpatine said his feats in battle were never replicated) are beneath him when they actual have showings validating their skill. If you have any reason apart from Mace's opinion (he lavishes Depa with the same praise), Mace's opinion is only half reliable in determining his skill.

Tiin has no showings in actual dueling skill that are even capable of being referenced to put him above Jinn whom Maul beat. He can stay tier 8 but in terms of objective showings, he has virtually nothing other than his accolades and a sparring match (with a Windu who wasn't even his prime).

You're missing the point of why the sparring match is so important.

Vos and Saesee Tiin both sparred with Mace Windu for a similar period of time, so they are the point for comparison. Mace Windu had absolutely no issue in finding flaws in Vos' form, showing he is the superior combatant by at least a tier or two in that encounter. Compare this to him fighting Tiin for multiple panels while having a lengthy conversation - they are shown to be nothing other than equals. This does not mean you are literal equals, but it also means that you really aren't far off of Mace at all - one tier behind, being logical in my opinion.

Katarn and Malgus' dueling skill showings are just as relevant as the sparring match. A sparring match, if left in ambiguity, wouldn't count for much usually - but because of the nature of how Mace spars his opponents, which is pointing out flaws and educating them where he can, it's clear that you need to be approaching his level of skill in order to not have your flaws picked out. And I don't think you can show me anything to suggest that they could have done any better in that sparring match.

In terms of accolades, Katarn's best ones are becoming the battlemaster of the Order and being a threat to Caedus in general - nothing to surpass Tiin. Malgus' feats on the battlefield were never replicated, and he was one of the greatest warrior in the Empire. Now, this does denote a lot of fighting skill for his time - however, these feats also encompass his physical stats and Force power, not just raw skill. For this reason I would absolutely put Malgus above Tiin and many people overall, but when speaking of sheer, unaffected skill level, Tiin's spar against Windu indicates a level of parity with Windu that Malgus can't match based off of taking out Zallow, Shan ect. And that's not to say Malgus is far off of Tiin at all - he's less than half a tier behind him - but he's not equal or superior in my mind.

Also, Mace's opinion isn't what I'm basing Tiin's position off of - Mace's opinion only goes so far, as you've said.

Adding Malgus as a low tier 8 wouldn't diminish Maul's stature given Maul's dueling feats heavily outweigh either Malgus or Katarns, they are completely different comparisons. How would adding them to tier 8 dilute Maul's showings when Maul beating Jinn/fighting evenly with Mace Windu are already superior showings to anything by Katarn or Malgus?

You've answered the question yourself. Read the underlined parts.

The list is a guideline for where characters are, and who is better than who. If anyone read the list and saw that Malgus and Katarn were "in the same tier" as Maul, they'd take that to mean they are his near-equal or very close to him via being in the same tier as him out of 10 possible placements. As you've said, Malgus and Katarn evidently aren't Maul's calibre of duelist, so to show that we put them one full tier below him. This shows they are both inferior but not hopelessly outclassed. It's the same way Maul can contend with Yoda in sheer skill, but they just aren't in the same tier. And in terms of sheer skill, Yoda would comfortably outfight the likes of Katarn and Malgus. One tier apart makes you close but not quite on-par, two tiers apart is a decisive edge, and three tiers apart is bordering on a stomp.

The best point of reference is Kenobi to Anakin or Kenobi to Windu.

Nothing shows he'd beat Malgus, Katarn, Krayt, or Mundi in a duel

Mundi isn't rolling in feats or accolades, you know. His feat against Grievous is great but it doesn't exactly denote much other than that he's in the ballpark of people who can challenge Grievous without fatigue or a form disadvantage. He fought Ventress, but the time they spent actually fighting was even more brief than Tiin's spar with Windu. I don't know Krayt very well, I was going off of what a couple of others said about him. I put him in the up for debate section of the OP, so hopefully his placement can be fleshed out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@okayalright_44: Alright, with your endorsement I'll move her.

Alright, I would like everyone's thoughts on the bridge between tier 6 and 7 duelists.

Here are the bottom of tier 7 duelists:

1. Aayla Secura / Adi Gallia / Cin Drallig / Luminara Unduli / Shaak Ti / Ven Zallow

The only top of tier 6 duelist is Xesh, so far. Now, in terms of saber skill I can't put Xesh below the likes of Secura, Zallow, Drallig or really anyone listed here, at least not so much that he'd be in another tier entirely.

So what I'm asking is do you guys think it would be a good idea to flesh out the 6th tier of dueling skill by placing these characters at the top of tier 6, instead of the bottom of tier 7?

That would mean, Zallow or Shaak Ti for example, would be three tiers below Anakin, two tiers behind Maul, and one tier behind Qui-Gon Jinn (or perhaps only half a tier behind Jinn). I think this is fair personally, plus it means the tiers will be more spread out and it's easier to see who is better than who by what margin.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Yeah agreed, well when theres an actual somewhat formal list ready to be displayed u can count on me going through and trying to up and down characters, along with adding others that are not so known. Not saying their aint professional lists, just waiting for a rough draft version then we can begin finalizing it. Anyway ty for tagging me good sir!

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I'd like to say Cade and Krayt are roughly even with Quin as swordsmen, possibly slightly behind. I'm up for discussion.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By GeorgeWBush

Vos and Saesee Tiin both sparred with Mace Windu for a similar period of time, so they are the point for comparison. Mace Windu had absolutely no issue in finding flaws in Vos' form, showing he is the superior combatant by at least a tier or two in that encounter. Compare this to him fighting Tiin for multiple panels while having a lengthy conversation - they are shown to be nothing other than equals. This does not mean you are literal equals, but it also means that you really aren't far off of Mace at all - one tier behind, being logical in my opinion.

The difference being is that Vos has his own showings that would put him above Tiin as a duelist (beating Bulq, beating Morgukai warriors, beating Tholme), has the similar accolade of being one of the best swordsmen of the Jedi order, i,e more substantial showings than a sparring match. Also in the panels they're merely locking blades, casually speaking, and Mace let completely loose on Vos in his match. Even Vos has more quantifiable showings other than relying on a mere sparring match (where Mace didn't go all out possibly), reputation, , and to reiterate this is Mace far from his prime (which was the end of the CW). It's a bit of a stretch to suggest he is an equal to prime Mace, and there isn't much suggesting that he is superior to Malgus or Katarn as he lacks the showings to compete with either.

Katarn and Malgus' dueling skill showings are just as relevant as the sparring match. A sparring match, if left in ambiguity, wouldn't count for much usually - but because of the nature of how Mace spars his opponents, which is pointing out flaws and educating them where he can, it's clear that you need to be approaching his level of skill in order to not have your flaws picked out. And I don't think you can show me anything to suggest that they could have done any better in that sparring match.

The ambiguity lies in the fact that he is casually speaking with him, this is Mace before his prime, and Tiin has no other quantifiable feats of his own. Even if Tiin was "approaching" it's difficult to gauge this; given the calm nature of their match-I'm not sure if there is anything else other to be ascertained than ambiguity in that showing. The fact Katarn took out 7 Jedi without training, was considered a quantifiable threat by Caedus, and Malgus had bested Darach, Zallow, Satele Shan, and theoretically matched blades with Hero/Wrath/Barsen/Nox at once would put them well beyond a mere sparring match (as they were all combat situations). To summarize even if those opponents were featless there is a clear progression in the skills of Malgus, Katarn, etc- and towards the end of their respective careers we can logically deduce they got better- unlike Tiin who is resting on the laurels of his accolades as he lacks feats of his own to even show a quantifiable level of skill.

In terms of accolades, Katarn's best ones are becoming the battlemaster of the Order and being a threat to Caedus in general - nothing to surpass Tiin. Malgus' feats on the battlefield were never replicated, and he was one of the greatest warrior in the Empire. Now, this does denote a lot of fighting skill for his time - however, these feats also encompass his physical stats and Force power, not just raw skill. For this reason I would absolutely put Malgus above Tiin and many people overall, but when speaking of sheer, unaffected skill level, Tiin's spar against Windu indicates a level of parity with Windu that Malgus can't match based off of taking out Zallow, Shan ect. And that's not to say Malgus is far off of Tiin at all - he's less than half a tier behind him - but he's not equal or superior in my mind.

Malgus and Zallow were martial equals for their time for one (Deceived), but given the fact Malgus bested him martially and not through the force he was the better duelist based on that- as well as the fact he would've had to match blades with whichever respective strike team he fought. There is no evidence Tiin could've handled Barsen/Hero/Wrath/Nox- or that Tiin would've been able to handle beating 7 nexus enhanced Dark Jedi, would've survived an encounter with Caedus, given he has no real substantial dueling showings of his own. There is a clear line of progression for the skills of Katarn/Malgus that is completely absent from Tiin. Again I'm not arguing moving him down, only that Katarn and Malgus should be near him due to their actual showings (not riding on accolades solely)

The list is a guideline for where characters are, and who is better than who. If anyone read the list and saw that Malgus and Katarn were "in the same tier" as Maul, they'd take that to mean they are his near-equal or very close to him via being in the same tier as him out of 10 possible placements. As you've said, Malgus and Katarn evidently aren't Maul's calibre of duelist, so to show that we put them one full tier below him. This shows they are both inferior but not hopelessly outclassed. It's the same way Maul can contend with Yoda in sheer skill, but they just aren't in the same tier. And in terms of sheer skill, Yoda would comfortably outfight the likes of Katarn and Malgus. One tier apart makes you close but not quite on-par, two tiers apart is a decisive edge, and three tiers apart is bordering on a stomp.

I can't speak for others but I argued for Maul to be moved up to 8.5 or 9 even given his showings, lets compare apples to apples here though- Malgus, Katarn, Krayt, and Mundi all have dueling feats, whereas, Tiin has none or even a progressive outline of his growth as a duelist. Either way again to reiterate I'm not arguing to move Tiin down, he just has nothing to suggest he is a greater duelist than the fighters I mentioned other than his accolades which suggest he would put up a fight.

Mundi isn't rolling in feats or accolades, you know. His feat against Grievous is great but it doesn't exactly denote much other than that he's in the ballpark of people who can challenge Grievous without fatigue or a form disadvantage. He fought Ventress, but the time they spent actually fighting was even more brief than Tiin's spar with Windu. I don't know Krayt very well, I was going off of what a couple of others said about him. I put him in the up for debate section of the OP, so hopefully his placement can be fleshed out.

Those are still two dueling feats that would put him above Tiin in my book, given that Tiin has no other showings I can reasonably draw to adequately and objectively place his skill. Even then I wouldn't place Mundi any higher than low tier 8.

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnface:

Drallig and Shaak Ti have the same accolade, and neither of them have superior showings to either Katarn or Malgus. If you're going to argue that he is a high tier "duelist" based on reputation, then he needs corresponding showings to validate his placement.

They do, yes, but they don't have the accompanying sparring match.

I'm seeing no reason why Katarn (who was considered a threat by Caedus) and Malgus (who Palpatine said his feats in battle were never replicated) are beneath him when they actual have showings validating their skill. If you have any reason apart from Mace's opinion (he lavishes Depa with the same praise), Mace's opinion is only half reliable in determining his skill.

Tiin has no showings in actual dueling skill that are even capable of being referenced to put him above Jinn whom Maul beat. He can stay tier 8 but in terms of objective showings, he has virtually nothing other than his accolades and a sparring match (with a Windu who wasn't even his prime).

You're missing the point of why the sparring match is so important.

Also, Mace's opinion isn't what I'm basing Tiin's position off of - Mace's opinion only goes so far, as you've said.

Adding Malgus as a low tier 8 wouldn't diminish Maul's stature given Maul's dueling feats heavily outweigh either Malgus or Katarns, they are completely different comparisons. How would adding them to tier 8 dilute Maul's showings when Maul beating Jinn/fighting evenly with Mace Windu are already superior showings to anything by Katarn or Malgus?

You've answered the question yourself. Read the underlined parts.

The best point of reference is Kenobi to Anakin or Kenobi to Windu.

Nothing shows he'd beat Malgus, Katarn, Krayt, or Mundi in a duel

I agree with ILS. Saesse is at least merited a position at the bottom of tier 8. Windu was still considered second to Yoda and a rival to Jedi Dooku pre-TPM according to Power of the Jed Source Book and Star Wars Data Bank. So Mace' skill is very well noted even at that time. And Saesse being able spar roughly even with him is a considerably good showing. That was also years before Tinn's respective prime and if we go by the laws of power scaling then his skill would've likely increased since his encounter with Pre-TPM Windu, just as many jedi/sith have done over time. There are objective sources that denote him as one of the most celebrated swordsman in the Order, and that Mace distinctly picked Tinn to face Palpatine (the biggest treat they could ever face).

Most of the Jedi are deployed on distant worlds, but Mace manages to assemble a trio of celebrated swordmasters to assist him in arresting Palpatine: Agen Kolar, a Zabrak known among the Jedi to strike first and ask questions later; Saesee Tiin, a solitary Iktotchi who has never chosen a Padawan learner;and Kit Fisto, Nautolan master of Form 1 lightsaber technique, who distinguished himself on Geonosis and Mon Calamari, and who partnered Mace in battling Grievous on Coruscant.

The Complete Visual Dictionary

That's not only recognizing his skill but considering a peer as well as Kolar and Fisto. I'd agree with him being placed at bottom T8

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By GeorgeWBush

Tiin is exactly where he needs to be at low 8, and again I've seen all of his accolades before. But in terms of dueling feats let's face it he's woefully inadequate on that front. Can we surmise that he'd be a challenge for Malgus, Katarn, Mundi, or Krayt as a duelist?- yes- but based on feats of skill I still stand firm on my claim he has nothing to suggest he'd beat them. But to make a case for Jinn being included as well:

Renowned for his skill with the lightsaber, Jedi Master Anoon Bondara is regarded by many of his peers and all of his apprentices as a role model whose combat prowess is unmatched in the Jedi Order. Bondara would disagree with this assesment. During his tenure at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, he spars with superior lightsaber duelists such as Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu. Although he humbles himself when compared to their skill, Bondara's prowess is nontheless considerable.

If we're going to utilize sparring matches as a basis for skill when a character is devoid of actual skill showings, can't we make the same concession for Jinn who has actually faced and held his own against Maul, bested Xanatos, fought Aurra Sing, and who also has the same exact accolades as Tiin?

@okayalright_44 Stating he is one of the Best of the Jedi order and stating that this sparring match was before his prime are two separate claims. What other dueling showings would he have to suggest he wasn't in his prime when he fought that iteration of Windu?

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnface: Not much, I guess. I was going by logic of power scaling and that fact the performed his against someone of pre-tpm Windu's ( who was at the time was considered to rival to Jedi Dooku and approachable, if not at, Yoda level in terms of pure skill).caliber.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ShootingNova

@burnface: To be honest, there's nothing that suggested that Mace was so clearly pre-prime at that stage. It might be inferred based on studying how characters grow with the Force, but I don't know of a source (or don't remember one, at least) that suggests that Mace was definitely not in his prime against Saesee. But then, if you do infer this based on studying how characters grow in the Force, then nothing stops me from saying the same for Saesee as well - what proof is there that he was in his prime at the time? He could have improved as well, if you the basis for Mace improving is how characters grow in the Force.

Also, none of Quinlan's feats are "better" than Saesee's, whereas Saesee had a much better performance against Mace. What you listed as showings for Quinlan is also slightly incorrect. He fought roughly evenly with Tholme with a blade and used cortosis to win. His fight with Sora had plenty of circumstances, and he lost the fight first, then practically cheap-shotted Sora (who obviously wouldn't have been expecting retaliation) after receiving mental help from Aayla (otherwise he would have been struck down).

The whole idea of Mace holding back during the spar is unsubstantiated, and it's a double standard because unless you have conclusive evidence to suggest that Mace did in fact hold back, then nothing prevents me from claiming that Saesee "possibly" held back as well. And Mace was hardly far more unrestrained against Quinlan - in one of their duels, the comic explicitly said that he was fighting defensively only, whereas the premise of his whole form is to be aggressive, and in the other duel, Mace looked very casual to me - even giving up his back to Quinlan and still easily deflecting the strikes and pointing out clear flaws in Quinlan's technique, which he never did against Saesee.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By GeorgeWBush

@shootingnova: I'll rescind that statement based on review of the scans of his fight with Vos, where he is more or less telling him to not hold back. All I implied with those statements were that Quinlan has at least a progression of his skills as a duelist, whereas, anything to be drawn from Saesee is more or less either implications or inferences. Likewise, I was arguing in favor of raising Bulq, Malgus, Katarn, i,e fighters you've previously supported as being low tier 8 as well in previous threads I've created. With regards to Mace I always assumed his prime was Shatterpoint/ROTS?

Anyway I'm out for the night guys, hopefully, I can raise some support to at least raise Bulq, Katarn, and Malgus to low tier 8 or even 7.5 or something.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ShootingNova

@burnface: His prime being RotS assumable, but not something irrefutably proven. But by similar inferences, you could also suggest that Saesee improved, so it goes both ways.

As for Bulq and Kyle, they could be lower tier 8.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnface:

The difference being is that Vos has his own showings that would put him above Tiin as a duelist (beating Bulq, beating Morgukai warriors, beating Tholme), has the similar accolade of being one of the best swordsmen of the Jedi order, i,e more substantial showings than a sparring match.

Vos' dueling feats aren't superior to Tiin's sparring match. The Morgukai's best claims to skill are overwhelming Tholme, and fighting evenly with Secura individually. Vos fought them at the same time and whilst heavily fatigued and injured, and he did it with a form poorly suited to fighting multiple opponents, but this is still only enough to approach tier 8, not step into it. The Bulq fight was circumstantial and Bulq isn't even a tier 8. Tholme really isn't that impressive of a fighter.

Whenever he has been put up against the calibre of opponent only a tier 8 could truly match, he hasn't managed to achieve results. He's a tier 7, Tiin is a tier 8. Although there are always some circumstances behind Vos losing to guys like Windu and Dooku. With Windu, their first fight was well before either of their primes. In their spar, Vos was out of practice with his lightsaber and was holding back - when he stopped holding back, Windu ended the spar inconclusively. In his fights with Dooku, he utilised Ataru - a form Dooku knows every single weakness of from him fighting Jinn thousands of times. And when he fought Kolar he simply wasn't in his prime. Despite this, Vos never achieved showings to suggest he can do anything more than hold his own against a tier 9 for some time before being humbled (which is a step up from being stomped, at least), whereas Tiin, before having decades of time to further improve, was already showing high levels of parity with Windu in a similar sparring match to the one Vos had with Windu.

Where has Vos been accoladed as one of the best swordsmen in the Jedi Order?

Also in the panels they're merely locking blades, casually speaking, and Mace let completely loose on Vos in his match. Even Vos has more quantifiable showings other than relying on a mere sparring match (where Mace didn't go all out possibly), reputation, , and to reiterate this is Mace far from his prime (which was the end of the CW). It's a bit of a stretch to suggest he is an equal to prime Mace, and there isn't much suggesting that he is superior to Malgus or Katarn as he lacks the showings to compete with either.

You're ignoring a few things here. Mace hasn't ever let fully loose on Vos, ever - he was visibly going at the same pace as he was with Tiin. The sparring match can't be described as "mere", because from a skill standpoint, Windu looks for error in his opponent - if Windu can't find much of any error in Tiin's form where he has others in a similar time frame, it stands to reason that Tiin is very much close to Windu. And this brings me back to the point that Kyle and Malgus have nothing to surpass this. Unless you can actually debunk the sparring match in some way and show that it isn't a true showing of skill on Tiin's part to not have his form picked apart by Windu, then you can't keep writing it off as just a "mere sparring match" and talking about how Tiin lacks life or death combat feats. Cin Drallig doesn't have the same level of combat feats as Aayla Secura, but if you account for his accolades, position as a lightsaber instructor and his knowledge of the seven forms, I think you'd be hard pressed to prove he is far behind Aayla.

Also, as has been said, Tiin was also far from his prime, and Tiin also would have been holding back if Windu was holding back - neither of which are real issues as far as the feat is concerned anyway.

The ambiguity lies in the fact that he is casually speaking with him, this is Mace before his prime, and Tiin has no other quantifiable feats of his own.

Mace was casually speaking with Vos too, as well as casually picking him apart. He couldn't do the same with Tiin. Tiin was also before his prime. And this spar is a feat.

Even if Tiin was "approaching" it's difficult to gauge this; given the calm nature of their match-I'm not sure if there is anything else other to be ascertained than ambiguity in that showing. The fact Katarn took out 7 Jedi without training, was considered a quantifiable threat by Caedus, and Malgus had bested Darach, Zallow, Satele Shan, and theoretically matched blades with Hero/Wrath/Barsen/Nox at once would put them well beyond a mere sparring match (as they were all combat situations). To summarize even if those opponents were featless there is a clear progression in the skills of Malgus, Katarn, etc- and towards the end of their respective careers we can logically deduce they got better- unlike Tiin who is resting on the laurels of his accolades as he lacks feats of his own to even show a quantifiable level of skill.

He was absolutely approaching, and Jedi often spar calmly, but it doesn't mean they are holding back anything. There is no proof that Windu was even holding back on Tiin in the first place.

Those 7 Jedi were nothing to write home about at all as duelists, and he fought them one at a time which is more a feat of endurance. The minimal training part is impressive but it doesn't do much to elevate the showing. Actually, there's nothing quantifiable about "being a threat" - a threat can be a very small thing, plus Caedus was injured at the time to boot.

Come on now, man. For one, not Darach, nor Zallow or Shan are within two tiers of Mace's skill, so Malgus beating them hardly makes him better than a tier 8. Next, I know you absolutely deplore when people use ambiguous showings from boss battles in games in order to justify a position, so you can't sit and tell me about how Malgus "theoretically clashed blades" with that strike time all at once. We have no clue of how that fight canonically went down and it's not a showing of skill better than what a tier 8 is capable of producing.

There isn't actually much to show that Malgus got more skilled with a lightsaber, but with Kyle he did get better by becoming the battlemaster. But if you want to really talk about unquantifiable, Kyle's lightsaber skill "in his prime" is just that.

And you can't seriously tell me that after the spar with Windu, fighting through the Clone Wars for years, and then being accoladed with being among the best in the Order from several sources, doesn't denote Tiin increasing in skill himself, alongside Mace and the other Jedi of his era.

Malgus and Zallow were martial equals for their time for one (Deceived), but given the fact Malgus bested him martially and not through the force he was the better duelist based on that- as well as the fact he would've had to match blades with whichever respective strike team he fought. There is no evidence Tiin could've handled Barsen/Hero/Wrath/Nox- or that Tiin would've been able to handle beating 7 nexus enhanced Dark Jedi, would've survived an encounter with Caedus, given he has no real substantial dueling showings of his own. There is a clear line of progression for the skills of Katarn/Malgus that is completely absent from Tiin. Again I'm not arguing moving him down, only that Katarn and Malgus should be near him due to their actual showings (not riding on accolades solely)

Malgus besting Zallow isn't enough to put you within under a tier of someone like Darth Maul.

He didn't "have to match blades" with the strike team - are you forgetting Malgus' colossal Force power? Which, by the way, is the only reason he would do any better than Tiin against the strike team, not through superior skill with a blade.

You don't think Tiin could kill 7 featless beings? You must think pretty lowly of him. And when was it stated they were on a nexus?

Kyle also shouldn't be surviving an encounter with Caedus - he essentially didn't.

There are different ways to show lightsaber skill other than clear cut dueling showings in life or death situations, man. Accolades, creator statements, sparring matches within context ect. You don't just need to beat someone, or fight evenly with someone, or contend with someone who is good to be good yourself - Tiin sparred evenly with a tier 9 duelist who actively tries to pick apart his opponents. This is beyond Malgus and Katarn's ability to replicate.

I can't speak for others but I argued for Maul to be moved up to 8.5 or 9

He's too even with Obi-Wan to move up to a 9, and outside of that he hasn't done anything a tier 8 can't do. He is a tier 8.5 though, in fact he's anywhere from 8.5-8.9, if you want to get stupidly meticulous. He's at the top of tier 8 but not quite tier 9. Anakin sets the benchmark for the bottom of tier 9, which is the foundation for this entire list, pretty much.

Those are still two dueling feats that would put him above Tiin in my book, given that Tiin has no other showings I can reasonably draw to adequately and objectively place his skill. Even then I wouldn't place Mundi any higher than low tier 8.

Mundi being low-tier 8 is arguable IMO, but considering he lacks a solid win on his record or any accolades, I find it hard to place him. You could argue he's close to the likes of Maul based on his fight with Grievous, by taking away every negative circumstance in that fight and placing Mundi in a fairer one. He had an opportunity to fight Ventress but the fight was way too short to make much of. I think Jinn level is a good place for him to be, as Jinn likewise contended with Maul with some poor circumstances.

Also, sorry if I countered anything you rescinded already.

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I forgot to tell you, but I just want to say that this was a very nice idea. Good job.

I really like where this discussion is going.

DarthManhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Very nicely done man, thanks for tagging me I just got the notification, I will read through all of this great discussion throughout the day and give my two cents (its probably not needed at this point you guys seem to have it well mapped out at first glance) on characters I know.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to do this. Going to help guys like me out alot. Be back shortly fellas.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: You forgot on Plagueis in the lightsaber combat. Also, Starkiller in tier 9 Force powers? His best feat is when he amped himself through that beacon with lightning and hitted Vader. You dont have Revan in the lightsaber combat.

Nihilus should get tier 5/6 in lightsaber combat and tier 9 in the Force powers.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: Plagueis may end up in the "Too Vague" list because people tend to have varying views on where he is.

Starkiller disintegrating half a capital ship and putting up a barrier to repel droplets of heat akin to what you'd find on the outer layers of a star secures his spot there.

I'm not sure where Revan is as a duelist, probably Malgus' level.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Penderor

@i_like_swords: Revan was ripping asteroids from the sky with incredible speed and TK owned both the Jedi and Sith strike team, including Satele Shan and that Sith Lord whos name I dont remember.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: I don't think Nihilus should be rated anywhere as a lightsaber duelist. He has completely nothing under his belt, and nothing suggests his any ability within that.

I always find it hard to place him as a Force user anywhere. He's more of an entity with how his Drain worked, than a regular Force user. He deserves tier 9, but it's hard to find a non-legitimate tier for him.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart: Nihilus fought with Meetra and Visas while was the Mandalore shooting at him. Thats actually a good feat.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By GeorgeWBush

Vos' dueling feats aren't superior to Tiin's sparring match. The Morgukai's best claims to skill are overwhelming Tholme, and fighting evenly with Secura individually. Vos fought them at the same time and whilst heavily fatigued and injured, and he did it with a form poorly suited to fighting multiple opponents, but this is still only enough to approach tier 8, not step into it. The Bulq fight was circumstantial and Bulq isn't even a tier 8. Tholme really isn't that impressive of a fighter.

Whenever he has been put up against the calibre of opponent only a tier 8 could truly match, he hasn't managed to achieve results. He's a tier 7, Tiin is a tier 8. Although there are always some circumstances behind Vos losing to guys like Windu and Dooku. With Windu, their first fight was well before either of their primes. In their spar, Vos was out of practice with his lightsaber and was holding back - when he stopped holding back, Windu ended the spar inconclusively. In his fights with Dooku, he utilised Ataru - a form Dooku knows every single weakness of from him fighting Jinn thousands of times. And when he fought Kolar he simply wasn't in his prime. Despite this, Vos never achieved showings to suggest he can do anything more than hold his own against a tier 9 for some time before being humbled (which is a step up from being stomped, at least), whereas Tiin, before having decades of time to further improve, was already showing high levels of parity with Windu in a similar sparring match to the one Vos had with Windu

Tiin for one only "held" his own against a Windu who based on his skill feats latter in his career wasn't in his prime, and while I can concede he did "better" than Vos- why would Malgus, Katarn, or Krayt not do any better when they have beaten actual beings before their prime? I probably shouldnt've stated Vos is above Tiin, I only meant to reference he has actual showings as a duelist.

You're ignoring a few things here. Mace hasn't ever let fully loose on Vos, ever - he was visibly going at the same pace as he was with Tiin. The sparring match can't be described as "mere", because from a skill standpoint, Windu looks for error in his opponent - if Windu can't find much of any error in Tiin's form where he has others in a similar time frame, it stands to reason that Tiin is very much close to Windu. And this brings me back to the point that Kyle and Malgus have nothing to surpass this. Unless you can actually debunk the sparring match in some way and show that it isn't a true showing of skill on Tiin's part to not have his form picked apart by Windu, then you can't keep writing it off as just a "mere sparring match" and talking about how Tiin lacks life or death combat feats. Cin Drallig doesn't have the same level of combat feats as Aayla Secura, but if you account for his accolades, position as a lightsaber instructor and his knowledge of the seven forms, I think you'd be hard pressed to prove he is far behind Aayla.

I already rescinded that point for Windu not going all out in my response to him, and I never questioned lowering Tiin any further than tier 8. You're asking me to prove a negative in refuting the nature of their sparring match, but I can also state that there is nothing to show there is nothing to suggest Tiin could hold his own against Caedus, fight 2 renowned SWTOR duelists at once, and or beat a nexus enhanced Jerec. Tiin's best combat feats are beating Battle droids in the Clone wars, unless you think that this is somehow outside of the realm of Malgus or Katarn- there isn't that huge of a disparity in their dueling skill. I remember a statement where you said Malgus was approaching Savage in Deceived (In KMC), and I can also bring up statements where Nova has stated that Malgus is (at least Jinn's) level of skill in various threads. You've also stated that Malgus was more or less on the same level as Katarn, for the sake of power scaling that is.

lso, as has been said, Tiin was also far from his prime, and Tiin also would have been holding back if Windu was holding back - neither of which are real issues as far as the feat is concerned anyway.

Probably not given the nature of Jedi morals.

Those 7 Jedi were nothing to write home about at all as duelists, and he fought them one at a time which is more a feat of endurance. The minimal training part is impressive but it doesn't do much to elevate the showing. Actually, there's nothing quantifiable about "being a threat" - a threat can be a very small thing, plus Caedus was injured at the time to boot.

I was referencing the 7 Jedi feat to show how Katarn had a period of growth as a duelist, and yes beating a nexus enraged Jerec (without very formal training) is something that surpasses a mere sparring match.

Come on now, man. For one, not Darach, nor Zallow or Shan are within two tiers of Mace's skill, so Malgus beating them hardly makes him better than a tier 8. Next, I know you absolutely deplore when people use ambiguous showings from boss battles in games in order to justify a position, so you can't sit and tell me about how Malgus "theoretically clashed blades" with that strike time all at once. We have no clue of how that fight canonically went down and it's not a showing of skill better than what a tier 8 is capable of producing

Its still a feat of dueling feat that surpasses a mere sparring match is all I'm getting at, and I've utilized that combat feat before in Mundi vs. Malgus as well. To challenge your point that Malgus or Tiin would somehow not "hold their own in a sparring match", what combat feats of Tiin other than beating Super battle droids do you have to suggest he would be able to handle Hero/Wrath/Nox/Barsen at once in an all out duel? With regards to those other showings much like Katarn they showcase Malgus's growth as a duelist, which even you admitted would've placed him at Savage's level as of (Deceived )- and given that feat he should at the very least be tier 8 in skill. Malgus has a clear depiction of the increase in his skill over the his career, with Zallow whom we deemed superior in powerscaling (to Shaak Ti), and this was achieved prior to his permanent amp. Malgus also bested Leneer and stomped Adraas after his amp as well as held his own against the strike team, there is a clear growth in his skill from the time you had admitted he was approaching Savage. There is no such line of growth for Tiin and Malgus besting Zallow (whom you, Nova, and I) admitted was superior to Ti before his prime, is a superior feat of skill than killing droids.

There are different ways to show lightsaber skill other than clear cut dueling showings in life or death situations, man. Accolades, creator statements, sparring matches within context ect. You don't just need to beat someone, or fight evenly with someone, or contend with someone who is good to be good yourself - Tiin sparred evenly with a tier 9 duelist who actively tries to pick apart his opponents. This is beyond Malgus and Katarn's ability to replicate.

I would agree if Tiin had any actual combat showings that would place him above Katarn or Malgus (other than his accolade and a sparring match). Based on our own powerscaling, conversations, and the fact Tiin has never once beaten anyone in a duel, the evidence for them being at the very least (on his level) should be evident. Not to mention the fact that Tiin has no comparable dueling feats to either one, but again do you really think killing Battle droids is superior to either Katarn or Malgus besting Satele, Jerec, Kao, and beating Leneer, stomping Adraas, and fighting admirably against Hero/Barsen/Wrath/Nox? Either duelist lack the showings to rise any higher than low tier 8 and this is something I will not dispute, but regarding your claim they couldn't hold their own in a sparring match (when Tiin has no demonstrable dueling feats), when in prior threads we've all placed Malgus/Katarn in a similar ranking, and Tiin isn't bringing anything to the table comparable to either Katarn's or Malgus's dueling feats before their prime, can you honestly say that Tiin would best either in a hard fought match? Other than inference, appealing solely to accolades, and his sparring match, what has Tiin demonstrated in actual combat situations and quantifiable dueling feats against an opponent in combat that would place him above either/ or at the very least so superior that neither can stand on his level?

Regarding Mundi and Jinn Nova and others in the Katarn vs. Mundi thread I created admitted a similar level of skill, and Mundi isn't by inference that much better than Jinn or Tiin. I would like to say based on our prior conversations that they should all be low tier 8, and Vos should be at least 7.5 given the fact he will likely rise in the upcoming novel. I had always imagined tier 7 for duelists like Luminara, Vodo, Shaak, Zallow, i,e more or less semi-skilled duelists that tier 8 fighters had bested prior to their prime anyway. I hope I made my points clear. Cheers.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

check the the Bane vs. Vader thread on KMC ILS

LamLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tiin > Krayt. Man up and concede, winebottlecarthageBurnface.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everyone's having great discussions in this thread without me :'(

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: My Homeboy Vivas! Join in *highfive*

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart said:

I don't think Nihilus should be rated anywhere as a lightsaber duelist. He has completely nothing under his belt, and nothing suggests his any ability within that.

I always find it hard to place him as a Force user anywhere. He's more of an entity with how his Drain worked, than a regular Force user. He deserves tier 9, but it's hard to find a non-legitimate tier for him.

I don't think Nihilus deserves to be ranked as a swordsman either. He has power feats only, not skill feats.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#99  Edited By TheVivas

@okayalright_44: Don't mind if I do bro. Got today off from work, and I'm long overdue to join in. *highfive*

Alright, I would like everyone's thoughts on the bridge between tier 6 and 7 duelists.

Here are the bottom of tier 7 duelists:

1. Aayla Secura / Adi Gallia / Cin Drallig / Luminara Unduli / Shaak Ti / Ven Zallow

The only top of tier 6 duelist is Xesh, so far. Now, in terms of saber skill I can't put Xesh below the likes of Secura, Zallow, Drallig or really anyone listed here, at least not so much that he'd be in another tier entirely.

So what I'm asking is do you guys think it would be a good idea to flesh out the 6th tier of dueling skill by placing these characters at the top of tier 6, instead of the bottom of tier 7?

That would mean, Zallow or Shaak Ti for example, would be three tiers below Anakin, two tiers behind Maul, and one tier behind Qui-Gon Jinn (or perhaps only half a tier behind Jinn). I think this is fair personally, plus it means the tiers will be more spread out and it's easier to see who is better than who by what margin.

For the sake of spreading out the Tiers, like you said, then yeah, I'm down to move Aayla and them to Tier 6, or maybe even 6.5, to be honest. We can't really have 20 something people in say Tier 7, and then 5 in Tier 6, especially if there's a noticeable gap between most of the people within that Tier. For example, Qui-Gon is certainly a better swordsman than the people listed here, but for the sake of spreading out the Tiers, putting Aayla and Cin and all of them in a lower Tier would be more helpful. I'm all for making a 6.5 Tier, though.

Updated listing:

Lightsaber Skill

Tier 8

• Jaina Solo (placed at the top of tier 8 alongside Kenobi, Ventress, Maul ect)
  • Agen Kolar likewise has been put alongside Obi-Wan, until somebody disputes this effectively, which in my experience I rarely see happen. Like Nova said, he isn't well documented but from what we do have of him, he is an incredibly skilled swordsman for his time or of any era.
  • Lumiya likewise is now at the top of tier 8.
  • Saesee Tiin is now the first to be placed at the bottom of tier 8.

Tier 7

• Corran Horn and Neja Halcyon are now placed alongside Qui-Gon Jinn ect.
  • Leia Solo is now at the top of tier 7
  • Anakin Solo is placed in mid-tier 7
  • Ki-Adi-Mundi is placed in mid-tier 7
  • Darth Krayt is placed in mid-tier 7
  • At my discretion and with okayalright's endorsement, I'm moving Aayla up to the bottom of tier 7.

Tier 6

• Aurra Sing is now placed in tier 6
  • Anoon Bondara is now placed in tier 6

Force Power

Tier 8

• Darth Traya has been moved above Revan.
  • Leia Organa Solo is placed alongside Malgus.

Tier 7

• Mara Jade Skywalker is placed in tier 7
  • Corran Horn is placed in tier 7
  • Neja Halcyon is placed in tier 7
  • Saesee Tiin is placed alongside Plo Koon
  • Mace Windu is placed alongside Asajj Ventress

Tier 6

• Obi-Wan Kenobi introduces Tier 6 of Force power.

Overall

Tier 7

• Mara is placed in tier 7 overall, alongside Obi-Wan.
  • Leia is placed in tier 7 overall, alongside Obi-Wan.

Characters Who Require More Discussion

Darth Malak, Darth Krayt, Cade Skywalker, Saba Sebatyne, Alema Rar, Shaak Ti.

• Malak, Krayt, Cade and Alema have been tiered roughly, I would just like to see one or two people discuss where exactly in which tier these characters should go
  • Saba's accolade from Caedus is up for discussion in regards to how high it elevates her, as I've seen conflicting views on this in general. However if nobody ends up disputing where Nova places her I'll trust his judgement.
  • I personally disagree with where okayalright has placed Ti in both lightsaber skill and force power. She is below Qui-Gon Jinn as a duelist by one notch, but in the same tier, and she is at the top of tier 7 for Force power as per her showings in TFU against Galen Marek.

If I missed one of your placings I would ask that you bring it up to me and give some level of detail for why you're placing that character there.

Darth Krayt could possibly round out Tier 8 in Force power. He's lower than Leia and Malgus(not by too large of a margin imo), but he should be somewhat higher than Corran, Neja, and Saesee. Just off the top of my head, he was strong enough to touch the minds of every Sith in the galaxy after his rebirth, and even touch Cade, so that means he was able to touch the minds of even people who were exposed to or used the Dark Side before, he used the Force to cushion his fall after Cade kicked(?) him off a cliff(which would have been a fatal drop), he fought through and used his own Force Illusions against Wryylok after succumbing the latter's own illusion attack(which he was very proficient at), he launched huge rocks at Wryylok during their final duel, his lightning was strong enough to kill multiple rakghouls, and he knew how to use Shatterpoint and a Dark Side healing technique, iirc. He has more, but it's been awhile since I read the Legacy comics, so I can't tell you all of them. But that's my stance on Krayt, mid Tier 8.

I do believe Caedus deemed Saba a threat not only because of her skill, but wasn't it because of her high level of skill with Force Sense? Wasn't she able to sense Ben when he cut himself off from being felt in the Force? Other than that, I agree with Nova's placing.

Malak before he turned to the Dark Side was able to hurl Demagol across the Senate chamber with a Force Push, heal the injuries he received from his torture sessions from the real Demagol, and sense the destruction on Serroco from a few star systems away I believe. After he turned to the Dark Side, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was able to utilize Stasis and Choke on multiple targets, utilize Dark Healing, use a form of Sever Force, Force Lightning, and a form of Invulnerability. I've only read his Wookipedia page and I've never played the first Kotor, so I don't know which of his feats were amped by the Star Forge, but I would put him in mid/low Tier 7 for Force power and maybe slightly higher than Aayla for dueling, so mid/low Tier 7 as well.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lamlam: haha you coulda just said Krayt dies, I know you want too. Let it out boy