Star Wars 9 Director Colin Trevorrow Responds to "Bring Back George Lucas" Petition

• 77 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has been breaking records, including box office records. However, not everyone is happy with the film. Last week, a petition popped up online to replace 2019's Star Wars Episode IX's director, Colin Trevorrow, with George Lucas. Currently, the petition has over 20,000 signatures.

No Caption Provided

Trevorrow, who directed the second biggest film of 2015, Jurassic World, saw the petition and commented on it in an interview with Entertainment Tonight during the BAFTA Awards Season Tea Party.

"It's funny, I saw that, and it was on a day where I was at LucasFilm giving this big speech to everyone about how we want to channel the invention and just the raw creativity and the boldness that George brought to these films and not being afraid that we're going to embarrass ourselves by doing something that might be crazy,"

Trevorrow did not seem upset or angry during the interview but went on to explain that when Lucas came up with the idea for the film, the world wasn't necessarily ready for it.

"When George Lucas made Star Wars, a lot of people thought it was crazy," explains Trevorrow. "When you try to pitch what that movie's about -- if you've never heard of Star Wars before, you say, 'Here's a character. His father's part robot, but he can also do magic. And there's a guy who can fly in a spaceship. He's got a dog for a friend!' -- it sounds insane. But it's the greatest story ever told. I just want to embrace that kind of invention and creativity that he brought to it."

The director of the ninth installment of the Star Wars series is more focused on moving forward with the film and its evolution over the years. rather than focussing on the petition. Star Wars Episode IX will hit theaters sometime in 2019.

For more news on Star Wars, check out the stories below.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I hope they take a chance in the next one and don't just rehash the OT like they did in TFA...

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Ha.."Bring back George Lucas". That's funny

WAM-Hope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lucas had his chance, we must accept that.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they take a chance in the next one and don't just rehash the OT like they did in TFA...

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Why would any of the upcoming movies do any better with him back on board?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

TFA would have been a good remake, but I feel it was lacking as an continuation.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would people want Lucas back? Don't they remember what happened when he directed the last SW movies? Do they even remember the things he said about selling SW and his opinions about TFA before it even opened?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great the next film will be Meh or really boring and those where the feelings I got when watching Jurassic world. Oh and the fact that it was all CGI, so say good by to the practical effects for episode 9

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@z3ro180 said:

Great the next film will be Meh or really boring and those where the feelings I got when watching Jurassic world. Oh and the fact that it was all CGI, so say good by to the practical effects for episode 9

He isn't making the next one, he's making the one after that.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@idontlikebirds: personally I agree with Lucas that episode 7 was in a way rehashed garbage. There really was no creativity involved. It was ok in certain areas but I agree that bringing back Lucas wouldn't make a difference.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Space_Coyote

Lucas hasn't done anything worth mentioning in over 30 years. Say what you will about ep VII but it was far better than any of the prequels. Lucas's creative well is dried up, bringing him back would be big mistake.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@z3ro180 said:

Oh damn this guy made Jurassic World that lackluster huh? The special effects in TFA were one of its strongest points in blending practical with digital so a return to the CG fest of the prequels doesn't sound appealing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Still don't see what everyone's problem was with TFA. Sigh, I must like being in the minority.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lvenger

Still don't see what everyone's problem was with TFA. Sigh, I must like being in the minority.

There are valid criticisms for TFA people have given on the CV forums, just because the average guy on the street likes it doesn't make it good or a better film. I did find it a decent film, a 7/10 but I agree with a lot of the problems levied against TFA.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

it's ironic, when Lucas was in charge everyone hated him

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always laugh at these losers who make petitions like this. How about doing something useful or important? Nah making sure George Lucas makes another Star Wars film is more important. These people need to get a life and spend a little less time worrying about who is helming Star Wars.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: Its funny how I am one of the people who's been semi critical of TFA or just wasn't that impressed with it and keep hearing how I and others are wrong since the overwhelming number of people thought it was great.

DamoMinimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who the hell signed this petition?! By the way I loved TFA and am gutted that JJ isn't doing the whole trilogy.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they did bring back George Lucas. They're called the prequels and re-editted versions of original.

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL I will not go to another movie with Lucas at the helm, ever.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: they better not or I'm gonna go all fanboy on them

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

Lucas was not missed. TFA recycled a bunch of ideas from previous movies, but it was still a very good movie. The prequels range from bad to okay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Star Wars movies are one giant commerical designed to sell toys and make money. This director is perfect for that.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@idontlikebirds: personally I agree with Lucas that episode 7 was in a way rehashed garbage. There really was no creativity involved. It was ok in certain areas but I agree that bringing back Lucas wouldn't make a difference.

You are aware that A New Hope borrowed a lot from The Hidden Fortress and other stories right?

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donfelipe said:

@bl00dwerk said:

TFA would have been a good remake, but I feel it was lacking as an continuation.

I'm with you. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but I didn't leave feeling that "WOW!" feeling I expected to. It was almost like I had watched A New Hope on Bluray again: I enjoyed it, but didn't get all jacked up about it...

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01 said:

You are aware that A New Hope borrowed a lot from The Hidden Fortress and other stories right?

Most everything is borrowed these days

SkullKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No matter how great or bad a movie is, there will always be that group of people who will complain about something. Lets just be happy that the franchise is still going while it could have been one of those that fell into the abyss.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@idontlikebirds: There's a big difference imo between taking elements from different stories then building on them in your own way and making something that is labeled as a sequel to something else while nearly remaking what came before in that same series. I think ep 7 can justifiably be called a rehash of ep 4. ANH definitely had strong influences but I don't think there is one thing you can point to and say it was a remake of so much as you can point at about 4-5 things and say 'those seemed to have a strong influence on Lucas'.

ObiWanKevobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: I think the director is smart enough to realize what the practical effects did for TFA, and incorporate it in the film. It works for a reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@z3ro180 said:

Yeah, the only part I liked from Jurassic World was when it ended.

No really, that giant shark was pretty darn cool.

Lucas hasn't done anything worth mentioning in over 30 years. Say what you will about ep VII but it was far better than any of the prequels. Lucas's creative well is dried up, bringing him back would be big mistake.

It is his lousy execution and desire to control all aspects of the production that really put the nail in the coffin for the prequels. As others have said, Lucas is an ideas man. With that said, I doubt his creative well could ever run dry. Most of his ideas sound stupid on paper. But if his ideas are given a competent, discerning director they could be made into some really good sh*t.

@idontlikebirds said:
@ravenvice01 said:

Most everything is borrowed these days

Most everything has always been borrowed..since the dawn of time.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who would want Lucas and his insanity back...

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@idontlikebirds: funny how nobody remembers those movies except u. It's like Carlos Mencia borrowing jokes from comedians who never made it big. I say whatever.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

George Lucas is a joke. He got lucky with OT. He didn't direct the 2nd one and the 3rd one is very very bad and it rides on the awesomeness of the first two. The prequels I won't even get into. TFA was a good fun movie better than almost all the installments.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: Revenge of the Sith was way better then The Force Awakens.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you think about it as if there is some form of logic operating, then yes it's odd.

What's really happening is: no matter what is done by who there will be this population of people who hate on things as a hobby. In that light it makes perfect sense. They hate Lucas. They hate non Lucas. They hate.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal: LOL...it was not better than IV, VI, or III.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@lvenger: Jurassic World was great. Perfect? No, but it was really good and people like to complain. This is the internet, no one has anything positive to say.

Anyway I've yet to see TFA, but everything I've heard is that it's been really good. Even my die-hard sci-fi fan friends loved it, one's seen the damn thing 4 times in theaters. Personally I've enjoyed just about all the Star Wars films except Phantom Menace, but maybe I'm in the minority of moviegoers these days.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lantern1210: III was shit as a movie. I only love it because of the last half of it. It brings the saga together and even George couldn't screw it up that bad (not for lack of trying). I like it better than VII but TFA is a better movie.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@edblank said:
@amazingwebhead said:

If you think about it as if there is some form of logic operating, then yes it's odd.

point taken

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring in Darth Jar Jar! He is the key!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Fair enough, you've got me there, I need to see Jurassic World for myself. I'm just hoping future Star Wars films improve on the strengths and don't repeat their weaknesses.

Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TFA was shit, the script sucked, no originality no explanation to anything. The actress was like a rolling ball with no risk to her self. Finn might have been the only one with actual risk to him and still trying to be alive until the end of the movie and yet still ended up badly injured. He was a human Jar Jar.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@lvenger: I haven't seen TFA yet, so I have no idea of my own personal opinions of it.

Honestly my Star Wars fandom waned over the years, and just haven't been motivated to see it.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Lucas nailed it during the prequels.

Lantern1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lantern1210

@rabumalal: LOL...At least in the first six movies there is actual development of the characters, in TFA Finn and Rey are basically macguffins whose skill set and personalities simply changed to suit the situation and drive the plot. Terrible, lazy writing. Im holding out hope that the second movie will explain some of the ridiculous leaps in ability that Rey in particular exhibited, however after seeing TFA, if I didn't know better I'd think JJ had never actually seen a Star Wars movie. As for III being a shit movie, it was a masterwork compared to TFA as far as setting up a trilogy.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

IMO this petition is as ridiculous as the one to ban Ben Aflleck from playing Batman