SQUADRON SINISTER #1 Brings Supreme Evil to the WARZONES This June!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

The Squadron is back! Bigger, better, and more evil than ever! This June, the bad guys come out to play in SQUADRON SINISTER #1 – an all-new Secret Wars series! Writer Marc Guggenheim (Arrow Executive Producer) and artist Carlos Pacheco (Captain America) bring you an epic crime story of superpowered proportions!

Hyperion, Nighthawk, Whizzer, Doctor Spectrum and Warrior Woman. Together they make up the deadliest team of villains Battleworld has ever seen. Lording over their domain of Utopolis, they dispense devastating justice to any and all in their path. But will controlling just Utopolis be enough to feed their lust for power?

But threats from without and threats from within seek to undo everything Hyperion and his gang have built. Rulers from other domains mobilize against these superpowered aggressors. Devastating lies and secrets from within the Squadron itself may tear the team asunder. And seeds sown here bear bitter fruit for the future of the Marvel Universe. The measuring stick for evil just changed – and these five titans are it!

“[Squadron Sinister] is very much in keeping with a crime drama,” says writer Marc Guggenheim in an interview with Marvel.com. “A lot of my touchstones were the Godfather movies and ‘Sons of Anarchy,’ ‘The Sopranos’. You know, that very criminal centric drama that shows that heavy is the head that wears the crown.”

Can anyone stop them? They’ll certainly try! Be there when Battleworld quivers beneath their might in SQUADRON SINISTER #1 – on sale this June!

SQUADRON SINISTER #1

Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM

Art & Cover by CARLOS PACHECO

On Sale This June!

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Meh

PsychoPinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bootleg Justice League

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Who what?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

is that squadron supreme they are going up against?

i'll check it out

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... hello Earth-3 Marvel-stile. Or what was left of it.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By KritikalMassX

So, there's another Warrior Woman?

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if they're gonna be Justice League Marvel, they should have Crime Syndicate versions as well.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Always been interested in the Squadron, but haven't gotten around to reading any of their books yet. I'll give this a try.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

**looks to the right side of the cover** I thought supreme powers squadron were dead

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6 said:

Well if they're gonna be Justice League Marvel, they should have Crime Syndicate versions as well.

they ARE the crime syndicate versions. There's also the Squadron Supreme, who are the heroic versions of these characters. Actually, theres numerous iterations of these characters on thousands of worlds. Recently, the Illuminati got in a scuffle with a version of these characters called the "great society", based partly around the justice society. It was great.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A dream come true for me. Squadron supreme/Sinister have always been my favorite Comic book teams (hell, I think I have every issue they have ever appeared in). I was excited already for Secret Wars, now I'm beyond all realms of anticipation.

For anyone who doesn't really know about the SS they have been around since 1969. Marvel's version of the Justice League (it's pretty obvious). Hyperion is Marvel's first superman analog or "knock off" some would say.

Read the 1985 12-part series and Supreme Powers/Squadron Supreme from Marvel Max and see just how much more than a cheap rip-off they are.

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dorsk188

@zearing:

I recently read the 1985 mini-series and found it really interesting, though it's better at posing moral questions than resolving them. But it made me interested enough in the characters to check out JMS's Max series: Supreme Power, which was just absolutely phenomenal. Just don't get too attached (like I did), it was cancelled before its time.

Both are worth a read depending on your tastes (1985 is the Bronze Age personified, and the JMS run is downright Kafkaesque).

After I binged on both, I've become a massive Squadron cheerleader. Comparing them to the Justice League or the Crime Syndicate misses the point. They are Marvel's version of the Justice League in essentially the same way that the Watchmen were Alan Moore's version of Charlton Comics characters. Which is to say: subversive, complex, and fascinating in their own right.

SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dorsk188 said:

@zearing:

I recently read the 1985 mini-series and found it really interesting, though it's better at posing moral questions than resolving them. But it made me interested enough in the characters to check out JMS's Max series: Supreme Power, which was just absolutely phenomenal. Just don't get too attached (like I did), it was cancelled before its time.

Both are worth a read depending on your tastes (1985 is the Bronze Age personified, and the JMS run is downright Kafkaesque).

After I binged on both, I've become a massive Squadron cheerleader. Comparing them to the Justice League or the Crime Syndicate misses the point. They are Marvel's version of the Justice League in essentially the same way that the Watchmen were Alan Moore's Charlton Comics characters. Which is to say: subversive, complex, and fascinating in their right.

Ya I worry I will get so into it right before it is ended. This is a team that deserves it's own ongoing series. Honestly too, I think this Universe is perfect for an animated movie or even a live action movie/series.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the fence with this one. Its going to be a game time decision. Anyway only five more announcements to go!!!

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, typically annoys me when either company does analogues of each others main teams/heroes. Might look into this a little, might.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@idontlikebirds: they have been around for a very very long time. Is old news

SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SupremeHyperion

@kingofnerds: If only more people knew this (since 1969), this isn't a new team. Sadly most people who don't really have a clue will gloss over this book thinking that it is just a modern rip-off, and that would be too bad.

Divell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Divell

Did this Hyperion just kill Supreme Power Hyperion? this guy could be the most powerful hyperion yet.

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dorsk188 said:

@zearing:

After I binged on both, I've become a massive Squadron cheerleader. Comparing them to the Justice League or the Crime Syndicate misses the point. They are Marvel's version of the Justice League in essentially the same way that the Watchmen were Alan Moore's Charlton Comics characters. Which is to say: subversive, complex, and fascinating in their right.

Ya I worry I will get so into it right before it is ended. This is a team that deserves it's own ongoing series. Honestly too, I think this Universe is perfect for an animated movie or even a live action movie/series.

Absolutely. The broad strokes of the '85 series would make a great gritty short-run TV series on HBO or something. All it needs is a bit of streamlining and some modernizing of the tone/character designs. Just the philosophical implications of the B-Mod Machine alone make it a story worth adapting.

As for the Max series, it's a different animal entirely, but just really amazing. I did feel like it was losing steam before cancellation, but then it started to perk up again right before the cliffhanger ending. The worst part was that I didn't know it had been cancelled at first, so I didn't see the end coming. That's part of the reason I made sure to mention it here. It's a really great series, but everyone should know going in that it isn't complete.

Champion99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Champion99

I like it.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool one of the few Secret Wars tie ins that captures my attention.

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: which other ones interest you? Btw, @supremehyperion I can't agree more. What I love about Marvel (and DC does this sometimes too, mostly how the Watchmen turned out), is that they make analogues of characters and homages, and then they RUN with it. Sentry and Moonknight may be similar in powers (and Sentry's "S" symbol) but are both (and you can see by my profile pic who I'm also a big fan of) way superior to their DC counterparts (both in character development and power levels)..

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigman1227: Oh I haven't really been paying much attention, I'm just going to buy whatever looks appealing at the store. However I'll be keeping an eye out for this since I love Hyperion and the Squadron.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By butters911

As much as I love Speed Demon it is hard to take him seriously as a real threat.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremehyperion: You know if you want more people to get into Hyperion/The Squadron (I know I'd love to) you should work on they're recommended reading pages. That would be really helpful since the Squadron can get really confusing sometimes

This was the best thing I could find online for recommended Hyperion stories, and I cannot understand it
This was the best thing I could find online for recommended Hyperion stories, and I cannot understand it
donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ehhhh.. pass on this.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

warrior woman? not princess power? dont know this squadron but hey supreme power!!! sadly no arcanna. can we get some magic user books please? this is just awful. you got your westerns, you got your dinosuars/war stuff, give me some pretty energy lights and spells :)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supreme power hyperion just can't catch a break, first he dies at the hand of thanos and now his evil doppelgänger.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

I like to see Suicide Squadron Supreme. :P

Duzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Marvel is ripping off DC plot line with evil earth still. Lord. It would be more interesting if we have the Supreme Powers version but of course I don't think MAX exist anymore.

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duzz: right cause DC invented evil alternate planets...

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting,I'll buy it just to see. I like the Squadron Supreme

SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duzz: Evil Earth? Think it's just an Earth that is under the control of the Squadron Sinister. If you look the Max team is right there on the ground lol. So apparently they will be in conflict. They also hint to that in one of the Secret War covers where the two Hyperions are attacking each other.

@butters911: I don't believe that speed demon and this Whizzer are the same person. Speed Demon was not the first whizzer, but he was chosen by the grandmaster to be him in his contest. At Least I don't think this is James Sanders.

SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@divell: He would be pretty beast, but what I'm Hoping is that this may lead into an origin story of King Hyperion, who most definitely is the most powerful.

Divell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremehyperion: well King Hyperion was killed by Juggernaut. While Supreme Power Hyperion make a hole on the planet without much esfortless, survive a nuclear explosion (concentrated on him) hold his own against Ultimate Thor and defeat Ultimate Thing (whom beat a Zombified Hulk like nothing) and make a hole in the north of the planet like nothing. so Supreme Power is much more powerful

SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya king Hyperion was definitely not killed by juggernaut. He whooped up on juggernaut and was beaten when ghost zapped him with Argonite (the only radiation that weakens him). He was also underpowered at that point, and I'm not even sure that was in fact the same King Hyperion from the Exiles but this King Hyperion you are talking about is also the one that whooped Blue Marvel before getting cheap shotted while taunting the people around him.

The Exiles King Hyperion not only killed all heroes (and villains) on multiple earths but battled two other heroic versions of himself (including the blinded 712 version) beating them up pretty badly, only being slowed when Blink teleported a ton of sand into his body giving them time to teleport him back to his home world.

so not so much.

All Hyperions in theory can tank a Nuke, Hyperion (Max) was just the most powerful being on his earth. Hyperion is by far my favorite fictional character of all time, and although Supreme Power Hyp is beast (like the rest), King Hyperion or the new Avengers version of Hyperion would in my mind be the most powerful.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they should leave Supreme Power universe alone now, the Max series started strong then by the end of it , it was just ok but satisfying i guess. All those alternate versions of Supreme Power doesn't seem right to me now.

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadgod: that's the whole point of Secret Wars...they are whittling down on teams while also trying to tell good stories with this status quo. By the end of this I can bet you that there will either be a Squadron Sinister villain team in Marvel or a Squadron Supreme team. Only one.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigman1227: Oh i see, i haven't been following Marvel right now so don't know much but i hope like you said Marvel straightened all these things out.

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#43 cwpolzel  Moderator

Big Squadron Supreme / Sinister fan from way back, looking forward to this series.

Divell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa: Supreme Power but yeah

Divell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6 said:

you should sheck 2014 Avengers #25

Spoiler Alert! Evil Avengers (more like Injustice).

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@divell said:

@nukea6 said:

you should sheck 2014 Avengers #25

Spoiler Alert! Evil Avengers (more like Injustice).

I'm aware of that. I follow both Avengers and New Avengers. Seems to be a trend with evil counterparts nowadays.

Divell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Divell