SPOILERS: Why TASM2 Is An Amazing Movie

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheDemoGoblin

For me, to say TASM2 is my favourite MARVEL movie, would be an understatement. I thought the movie was well done, well executed, and faithful to the comic interpretations of these characters. TASM2, is, in all honestly, my favourite movie, and whilst some didn't enjoy it, didn't like it, didn't think Marc and co did a good job, here's what I think Marc Webb, the actors, and co. did well. WARNING: Major Spoilers, so if you haven't seen, just don't read. Thanks:

Andrew Garfield as The Amazing Spider-Man

No Caption Provided

Let's all agree on this one - Andrew Garfield does a Spectacular Spider-Man (no pun intended). Everything is done right with the character. The wit is spot on - Spider-Man taunts, quips, whistles, pulls his enemies pants down - he's just a great Spider-Man, and possesses all the traits that make the character of Spider-Man, well... Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield truly makes the character his own, and although he wasn't very well known before his role of Spider-Man, he's still a capable actor. You're going places, Andrew.

Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy

No Caption Provided

Andrew Garfield isn't himself without Emma Stone - I'm not either. Many thought Emma Stone was far superior to Kirsten Dunst's MJ. Not only because Emma Stone acted it out well, but because Gwen Stacy didn't come off as a damsel in distress. She was her own character, she didn't need saving. And the chemistry between her and Parker was just cute - and I'm a guy. Kudos, Emma.

Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn

No Caption Provided

Harry Osborn truly stole the show. He's one of the best young actors, and proved himself capable of playing a desperate character, that you could actually believe this man was dying and in need of blood to become immortal. You mightn't have liked how "rushed" the character was, but nevertheless, that wasn't Dane's fault, and he did well with what he was given.

Jamie Foxx as Electro

No Caption Provided

I'll admit this, some - if not most - of Electro's lines were generic as, but c'mon, Jamie Foxx is just fine. It was nice to see him play both Max and Electro, which allowed him to portray his acting skills - as we saw he could do two different personas, and still make them come out right. And, it was hilarious to see him whisper "it's my birthday, it's my birthday" before he falls into the electric eel tanks.

This was my first movie with Jamie Foxx, and in all honesty, he left a great impression. With the announcement of a Sinister Six film, I hope he's involved.

Supporting Cast

No Caption Provided

TASM2 has a great supporting cast. Sally Field, Felicity Jones, Chris Cooper and Paul Giammati were all great in this film. Sally Field portrayed a worrying Aunt, Felicity Jones was a quiet, calm character, Chris Cooper was horrifying and Paul Giammati was just funny as. Overall, the supporting cast of TASM2 is one of the reasons I hold this movie dearest.

Soundtrack

No Caption Provided

Hans Zimmer, The Magnificent Six, Alicia Keys, Kendrick Lamar and Tonight Alive - who else could they have picked?

TASM2, in my opinion, has one of the greatest soundtracks. All the OST's evoke different emotions and feelings, that I've actually gotten hooked on that one.

Electro Suit, Main Theme, There He Is and I'm Moving To England stood out for me, the very former because of the sheer emotion.

And It's On Again and The Edge really fit into the movie's themes, and all the soundtracks blend seamlessly into the movie.

Action & Effects

No Caption Provided

I thought MOS had the best Special Effects, and that it couldn't be topped. Turns out this wasn't the case. The trailers made the movie look like a video game. I even saw someone comment on how TASM2 looked like a video game cut scene, but that wasn't the case with the final movie. TASM2 set a new standard for special effects, and the 200 million budget really paid off.

The Goblin

No Caption Provided

The Goblin REALLY made me LOVE this movie. You could say that the character was rushed, but was he? I'll admit, Electro was VERY rushed, but The Goblin had the whole movie to progress as a character.

The character was really authentic, spot on and the laugh was just menacing, and had most in the theatre on the edge of their seats. Well done, Dane DeHaan. You make William Dafoe look like a joke - not because you're a better character - but you captured the horrificness and menacing of The Goblin better then Dafoe ever could.

The Night Gwen Stacy Died

No Caption Provided

Gwen's death was well executed - maybe the most well executed thing of the whole film. Here's how it went - The Goblin comes, throws Gwen, she dies. Authentic, right? But what I really liked about Gwen's death wasn't the fact that she died, but how it was done. When (TDK Spoilers! TDK Spoilers! TDK Spoilers!) Rachel Dawes died in The Dark Knight, it was just a death, more or less, and I'll bet my money almost no one cried when Dawes died. However, us, the viewers, grew really attached to Gwen and were emotionally touched by her death. Some might've - or almost - teared, and the scene where we see Parker visiting her grave everyday was just moving. The death was done so well.

Humour

No Caption Provided

Every movie needs humour. I'm not saying you need a lot, but even a little is fine, and TASM2 really nailed the humour.

Some of the best lines were as follows - "You can call me Amazing, you can call me web head, just don't call me late for dinner, you know what I'm saying?", "No one washes the flag. Alright, Laundry Sheriff" and "A god named sparkles?" It really added a fun, playful sense to the film.

Harry and Parker Interactions

No Caption Provided

That's right, thanks to Dane DeHaan and Andrew Garfield, those two brought the script interactions to life, and it was so fun to watch those two interact.

Their meeting scene was fun, especially when they were speaking about Harry combing his hair or something, and the scene when they were skipping rocks was a great scene, too.

The first two scenes between the two were the best, but the other scenes were also done well too.

Thanks for reading,

Those are just some of the reasons why I loved the film, and whilst I still have many more on my head, I don't want to make this too long, since I still want people to be able to read this. Thanks, guys/girls. I might do something like this later on.

-TheDemoGoblin

Troy_Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice argument. I'll always argue both villains were rushed, but that's just my opinion.

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Nice write up here man .

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You've got me excited to watch this!

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I agree with some points and not others. Personally, Harry was rushed, he basically went from nice guy to hating Peter pretty fast. And Electro being a comical nerd that suddenly was scorned by his idol and became a villain is generic as hell. Like Jim Carey's Riddler or Michelle Pfeifer's Catwoman, or Killian in Iron Man 3.

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

Yeah, true. But in all my points, I didn't say anything about Electro being a great character. I just think Jamie Foxx did well with what he was given.

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I dont care about Spiderman so i wont watch any of his movies.

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@thedemogoblin:

But isnt because of Marvel. Because my favorite movie is Captain America: Winter Soldier 2: Winter Solidier.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By flameboy298

Wow...........under-rated?I don't agree with under-rated but I agree with some of the other things you said.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I don't know how something can be under (or over) rated until ITS AT LEAST RELEASE IN THE U S OF FREAKING A

I HATE ALL OF YOU

/WRISTS

(i'll respond with a proper reply later if you wish)

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheDemoGoblin

For me, to say TASM2 is my favourite MARVEL movie, would be an understatement. I thought the movie was well done, well executed, and faithful to the comic interpretations of these characters. TASM2, is, in all honestly, my favourite movie, and whilst some didn't enjoy it, didn't like it, didn't think Marc and co did a good job, here's what I think Marc Webb, the actors, and co. did well. WARNING: Major Spoilers, so if you haven't seen, just don't read. Thanks:

Andrew Garfield as The Amazing Spider-Man

No Caption Provided

Let's all agree on this one - Andrew Garfield does a Spectacular Spider-Man (no pun intended). Everything is done right with the character. The wit is spot on - Spider-Man taunts, quips, whistles, pulls his enemies pants down - he's just a great Spider-Man, and possesses all the traits that make the character of Spider-Man, well... Spider-Man. Andrew Garfield truly makes the character his own, and although he wasn't very well known before his role of Spider-Man, he's still a capable actor. You're going places, Andrew.

Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy

No Caption Provided

Andrew Garfield isn't himself without Emma Stone - I'm not either. Many thought Emma Stone was far superior to Kirsten Dunst's MJ. Not only because Emma Stone acted it out well, but because Gwen Stacy didn't come off as a damsel in distress. She was her own character, she didn't need saving. And the chemistry between her and Parker was just cute - and I'm a guy. Kudos, Emma.

Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn

No Caption Provided

Harry Osborn truly stole the show. He's one of the best young actors, and proved himself capable of playing a desperate character, that you could actually believe this man was dying and in need of blood to become immortal. You mightn't have liked how "rushed" the character was, but nevertheless, that wasn't Dane's fault, and he did well with what he was given.

Jamie Foxx as Electro

No Caption Provided

I'll admit this, some - if not most - of Electro's lines were generic as, but c'mon, Jamie Foxx is just fine. It was nice to see him play both Max and Electro, which allowed him to portray his acting skills - as we saw he could do two different personas, and still make them come out right. And, it was hilarious to see him whisper "it's my birthday, it's my birthday" before he falls into the electric eel tanks.

This was my first movie with Jamie Foxx, and in all honesty, he left a great impression. With the announcement of a Sinister Six film, I hope he's involved.

Supporting Cast

No Caption Provided

TASM2 has a great supporting cast. Sally Field, Felicity Jones, Chris Cooper and Paul Giammati were all great in this film. Sally Field portrayed a worrying Aunt, Felicity Jones was a quiet, calm character, Chris Cooper was horrifying and Paul Giammati was just funny as. Overall, the supporting cast of TASM2 is one of the reasons I hold this movie dearest.

Soundtrack

No Caption Provided

Hans Zimmer, The Magnificent Six, Alicia Keys, Kendrick Lamar and Tonight Alive - who else could they have picked?

TASM2, in my opinion, has one of the greatest soundtracks. All the OST's evoke different emotions and feelings, that I've actually gotten hooked on that one.

Electro Suit, Main Theme, There He Is and I'm Moving To England stood out for me, the very former because of the sheer emotion.

And It's On Again and The Edge really fit into the movie's themes, and all the soundtracks blend seamlessly into the movie.

Action & Effects

No Caption Provided

I thought MOS had the best Special Effects, and that it couldn't be topped. Turns out this wasn't the case. The trailers made the movie look like a video game. I even saw someone comment on how TASM2 looked like a video game cut scene, but that wasn't the case with the final movie. TASM2 set a new standard for special effects, and the 200 million budget really paid off.

The Goblin

No Caption Provided

The Goblin REALLY made me LOVE this movie. You could say that the character was rushed, but was he? I'll admit, Electro was VERY rushed, but The Goblin had the whole movie to progress as a character.

The character was really authentic, spot on and the laugh was just menacing, and had most in the theatre on the edge of their seats. Well done, Dane DeHaan. You make William Dafoe look like a joke - not because you're a better character - but you captured the horrificness and menacing of The Goblin better then Dafoe ever could.

The Night Gwen Stacy Died

No Caption Provided

Gwen's death was well executed - maybe the most well executed thing of the whole film. Here's how it went - The Goblin comes, throws Gwen, she dies. Authentic, right? But what I really liked about Gwen's death wasn't the fact that she died, but how it was done. When (TDK Spoilers! TDK Spoilers! TDK Spoilers!) Rachel Dawes died in The Dark Knight, it was just a death, more or less, and I'll bet my money almost no one cried when Dawes died. However, us, the viewers, grew really attached to Gwen and were emotionally touched by her death. Some might've - or almost - teared, and the scene where we see Parker visiting her grave everyday was just moving. The death was done so well.

Humour

No Caption Provided

Every movie needs humour. I'm not saying you need a lot, but even a little is fine, and TASM2 really nailed the humour.

Some of the best lines were as follows - "You can call me Amazing, you can call me web head, just don't call me late for dinner, you know what I'm saying?", "No one washes the flag. Alright, Laundry Sheriff" and "A god named sparkles?" It really added a fun, playful sense to the film.

Harry and Parker Interactions

No Caption Provided

That's right, thanks to Dane DeHaan and Andrew Garfield, those two brought the script interactions to life, and it was so fun to watch those two interact.

Their meeting scene was fun, especially when they were speaking about Harry combing his hair or something, and the scene when they were skipping rocks was a great scene, too.

The first two scenes between the two were the best, but the other scenes were also done well too.

Thanks for reading,

Those are just some of the reasons why I loved the film, and whilst I still have many more on my head, I don't want to make this too long, since I still want people to be able to read this. Thanks, guys/girls. I might do something like this later on.

-TheDemoGoblin

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By flameboy298

@thedemogoblin: Are spoilers really necessary for The Dark Knight though?I mean Im pretty sure literally everyone has seen that movie by now

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298:

Yeah, I know.

But I've seen guys on the internet who get angry on spoilers even if it's been released years after. Just being cautious, that's it.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By silent_bomber

I can't believe Comicvine just lost my post, gahhhh, having to re-write this royally sucks

I think Harry's change was OK personally, unlike other character changes in movies coughDarkKnightcough Harry was never held up as a paradigm of goodness to begin with, right from his first appearance he was shown as a man full of resentment.

I think Pete and Harry's first meeting in the movie was done very well, you could tell that the two really didn't know where they stood, and Harry was very unsure of what to do. Pete's visit was unexpected, Harry had been gone a long time and had changed a lot since they had been friends, he wasn't sure if their friendship was still relevant, or whether he could be bothered to even find out.

I could very easily have seen that scene end with Harry saying "Anyway Mr Parker, nice seeing you, have a nice life" but Harry decided to take a chance instead, and they managed to find some common ground, but Harry was still not 100% comfortable.

You can also very much tell in the movie that the friendship is more important to Pete than Harry, Pete is the one who randomly goes to see him, Pete is the one talking about how important Harry's friendship was after his parents abandoned him etc.

Harry is a rich guy who's probably become accustomed to buying his friendship and respect, and has not managed to form many strong bonds with other people during his life, people like that have trust issues to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised if the first thing going through Harry's mind when he saw Pete was "why is he here? is he here to try to leach off me and my wealth?"

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber:

I like your explanation of things. You seem to have a great understanding of these things.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I liked this movie more than the first one. Main reason because it had a huge death that hasn't been shown in a Spider-Man film. Though it did kinda of feel as the villains came into play to fast.

Good movie though 8/10 imo I will watch it again in theaters.

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thitiki:

Yeah, I definitely thought it was a vast improvement on the first - although the first is still my 3rd favourite comic book movie.

Although, could you please mark your comment with a spoiler block, thanks.

Maximizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great write up, but I hated this film. I did have second thoughts on some of my criticisms after I left the theatre, but there's still a lot left. Only really got interested during the final act, but then the closing scene (with that annoying kid) ruined it again.

Lol jk that's a nitpick.

But still :P

ObjectionMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"because Gwen Stacy didn't come off as a damsel in distress. She was her own character, she didn't need saving"

Two points:

1. Dunst's MJ was a damsel in distress, no doubt. But she was her own character too. She had goals and dreams of her own totally seperate from Peter, just as Gwen does in this movie. Give her some credit for that.

2. Also, Gwen is a damsel in distress too, Emma Stone has said as much and not to mention "she didn't need saving"? SHE DIDN'T NEED SAVING!? I THINK SHE BLOODY WELL DID NEED SAVING AT THE END TAND IT'S SAD SHE WASN'T SAVED!

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@objectionman:

Objection Man, I don't see why you're getting angry. Really, this isn't a site to do so. There are tons of more sites on the net for you to get angry on, but this is just my opinion. You don't agree? That's fine, but no point for you to get angry.

Second, so what if she needed saving once? And it was done quick. What's the problem? If you've even played BioShock Infinite, Elizabeth needs to be saved by Booker, as she's trapped sometime in the start, but she's still not considered as a damsel in distress. MJ needed saving three times. Once with Green Goblin, second with Doc Ock and third with Venom. Gwen needed saving once.

Third, this is just me sharing an opinion and views. This isn't a debate or an argument. Good day.

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice analysis, point for point. I'm not really sold yet, and I'm sure I'll disagree with some of your points ( casting being one of them, I despise Jamie Foxx and Franco is irreplaceable but I digress ) but I will be seeing this as soon as it releases. I'm wondering though...how the hell is everyone seeing the movie already?

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedemogoblin: Wow, good on you. Especially Australia, they usually get the crap covered end of the stick with respect to film releases.

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDemoGoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oosupermanthathoeoo:

Save for Avengers, Iron Man 3, TASM and TASM2, which came out in Australia earlier then in other places.

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedemogoblin: As consolation I expect, or with the right amount of preparation ( as in actually being concerned with a timely release ). It doesn't matter if some films come early, or arrive on time, what sticks in their minds are the ones that arrive behind schedule. that includes films like The Hobbit and Man of Steel. But yea, just biding my time until I have something worthy of viewing.

majinn3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By majinn3

Personally after seeing TASM2 recently I have to dissagree on certain points.

The cast: So far the only people who have really delivered in this franchise for me are Andrew Garfeild and Dane Dehaan. I will never understand why people think Emma Stone is a great actress. I find her to be extremely overrated, typecasted and doing NO justice to Gwen Stacy's character. As much as I don't want to sound like a "hater" I honestly didn't see anything good that Emma brought to the table. Jamie Foxx as Electro was even worse than that. The supporting cast was just okay for me. I didn't see anything memorable from Giamatti, Cooper or Jones. Albeit most of those actor/ actressess roles were minor so it's not all their fault.

The score: While I didn't see anything seriously wrong with the score for TASM2 I think that the original music from the raimi trilogy better suits spiderman. But different people have different musical preferences so I can't be definitive.

Action/ Effects: I enjoyed the action/ effects for this movie as most did. (Albeit in my opinion they overused the slo-motion and it looked a little video gamish at times). However all the action and eyecandy in the world can't replace a good story. Which I found was somewhat lacking in TASM2.

Harry and Peter Interactions: This is probably the biggest Issue I have in the film. They introduced Harry seemingly out of the blue, and his Green Goblin just felt like a "last minute extra". "Much like Venom in "Spiderman 3". Harry basically came up to Peter saying "hey old pal I'm dying and I need spiderman's help". To say their relationship and and character arc was "rushed" is an understatement at best. Not to mention killing off Norman so quickly and basically reducing him to a plot device. Granted that's somewhat a comic nitpick for me. But back to the film standpoint I think they did a poor job of layering Harry Osborn's character. The Raimi films not only paid more respect to Harry's comic relations/ rivalries to Peter. But also took the time to build both of the 2 characters up throughout the movies. As opposed to just trying to throw everything into 1 film.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@the_stegman: I'd have to disagree in Electro's case. He obviously was not well in the head even though he was a nice guy. When you're messed up like that and have power and someone hurts you, it's easy to forget yourself very quickly. Sadly I know.