Spiderman getting increasingly LESS popular

• 90 results
thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Spiderman to me has been looked liked he has been losing/lost popularity. He is not as relevant as he used to be and often times is not really discussed. Back in the day(pre 2000's) spidey had loads of cartoons and fans, now he seems to be spiraling down. Even tho he recently has had movies come out those were only to have fox keep the rights to spiderman. He just is not as popular now, less people talk about him less fanboys of him. Im not saying he is not popular im just saying he is not as popular as he used to be.

do you agree or disagree

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Unless you're Wolverine or in the Avengers all other Marvel characters don't matter.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i think Iroman took his place. Ever since, 08 Ironman has grown in popularity. Heck he's considered to be one of the smartest people in the world. The movies made him a star thanks to RDJ. Even, i'm loosing interest in him.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By Teerack

There is one Spider-Man event a year... no other solo character get's that kind of attention, hell even the x-men don't get that kind of attention. What in the world are you talking about with relevancy? He's been tied to the Fantastic Four and Avengers for years and he is now going to be more tied to the X-Men with his new Spider-Man and the X-Men title, so he's kind of overlapping all major franchises right now.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

There is one Spider-Man event a year... no other solo character get's that kind of attention, hell even the x-men don't get that kind of attention. What in the world are you talking about with relevancy? He's been tied to the Fantastic Four and Avengers for years and he is now going to be more tied to the X-Men with his new Spider-Man and the X-Men title, so he's kind of overlapping all major franchises right now.

i never said he is not relevant i said he is not as much as he used to be.....i expressed this point many times in the 1st post

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14 said:

i think Iroman took his place. Ever since, 08 Ironman has grown in popularity. Heck he's considered to be one of the smartest people in the world. The movies made him a star thanks to RDJ. Even, i'm loosing interest in him.

i agree....RDJ is literally the only person that could have got ironman so much more popular so quickly, he is perfect for the role

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Teerack

@thing150 said:

@teerack said:

i never said he is not relevant i said he is not as much as he used to be.....i expressed this point many times in the 1st post

"He is not as relevant as he used to"

I pointed out how he is more relevant now then ever with the number of events and books he gets.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Considering everyone wants him in the MCU, I'd say he's pretty popular.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@thing150 said:

@teerack said:

I pointed out how he is more relevant now then ever with the number of events and books he gets.

explain how he used to get the most sales out of any comic book character, batman surpassed him long ago

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thing150 said:

@teerack said:

@thing150 said:

@teerack said:

explain how he used to get the most sales out of any comic book character, batman surpassed him long ago

That's not how relevancy works lol. The Justice League always outsells the Avengers, does that makes the Avengers less relevant? No, one thing being popular doesn't mean something else is less relevant.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thing150

@teerack said:
@thing150 said:

@teerack said:

@thing150 said:

@teerack said:

That's not how relevancy works lol. The Justice League always outsells the Avengers, does that makes the Avengers less relevant? No, one thing being popular doesn't mean something else is less relevant.

i did not just talk about relevancy in my post(in fact that was a rather short part) spiderman is just not as popular as he used to be, he got surpassed a long time ago for most selling comic character.

as for him not being relevant, this is an observation i made from the fact that i never see spiderman threads anymore. Spidey used to be the absolute most popular comic character...now he has been surpassed by multiple people.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I blame Sony. Thanks to not so well receive Spidey movies. TASM 2 is the lowest box office in entire Spidey franchise

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teerack

@thing150: I wasn't really talking about his popularity just his relevancy.

The reason you never see Spider-Man threads is because on this site all of the Spider-Man discussion goes in one thread titled Spider-Man Comics Discussion there are post in it every day and all of the comic, cartoon, tv show, etc. news ends up getting posted there. There were a lot of different threads happening around the Superior Era, and there is also the Spider-Man Cinematic discussion thread where people talk about movies.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@thing150: I wasn't really talking about his popularity just his relevancy.

The reason you never see Spider-Man threads is because on this site all of the Spider-Man discussion goes in one thread titled Spider-Man Comics Discussion there are post in it every day and all of the comic, cartoon, tv show, etc. news ends up getting posted there. There were a lot of different threads happening around the Superior Era, and there is also the Spider-Man Cinematic discussion thread where people talk about movies.

i know that he has his own forum all of the characters here do, but i rarely ever see him discussed outside of it which is not the case for a lot of really popular characters. At the end of the day in my opinion spiderman is not as relevant or as popular as he used to be. He used to be the head of everything in marvel and he used to be the most selling character, this is not the case anymore and that is exactly why i think he is not as popular.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teerack

@thing150: The trends of one comic book site is a pretty horrible way to gauge how popular a character is, especially considering how small the percentage of people that actually post on forums is compared to the number of people reading... There are only a few hundredth active users in the spider-man forum a month. Hell even if you bump it way up to 5000 that doesn't come close to the few hundred thousands of people who read spider-man and all the people who follow the cartoons and stuff.

Also in most months and on averaged Spider-Man beat the sales of all of Marvel's other books most of the time.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@thing150: The trends of one comic book site is a pretty horrible way to gauge how popular a character is, especially considering how small the percentage of people that actually post on forums is compared to the number of people reading... There are only a few hundredth active users in the spider-man forum a month. Hell even if you bump it way up to 5000 that doesn't come close to the few hundred thousands of people who read spider-man and all the people who follow the cartoons and stuff.

Also in most months and on averaged Spider-Man beat the sales of all of Marvel's other books most of the time.

does not matter if he beats most of the marvel books, he used to beat every book but now he has been surpassed by DC books and other marvel titles depending upon which month

Dude is not as hyped as he used to be, he used to be somehow the center of like every event and not he is not. He is still a popular character but he is not as popular as he used to be.

me talking about people not talking about him as much is more an argument for less relevancy than popularity.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: more popular characters are generally more relevant, and spiderman is not as popular as he used to be(shown by the fact that he has been surpassed in sales and does not get as many sales as he used to).

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If only he were in the MCU..

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to bed....cmon people unlike spiderman keep this thread relevant...kidding

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Penderor

Just make a poll here Iron-Man vs Spidey popularity and you will see who wins.

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor said:

Just make a poll here Iron-Man vs Spidey popularity and you will see who wins.

Flash Solos.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shot: Flash is not more popular than either Spidey or Iron-Man lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say your right, but Kevin Fiege seems to be losing sleep over not having Spidey in the MCU, and the day the released the rumors of Sony and Disney doing a deal, the internet went ballistic. He might not be as visible to pop culture, but Spidey is still #2 in the comics world. #1 is Batman, obvs

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one talks about the terrible comic book decisions that Marvel did.

There is no way Marvel its the reason Spiderman popularity is going down.

I blame Sony. Thanks to not so well receive Spidey movies. TASM 2 is the lowest box office in entire Spidey franchise

It made more money that Man of Steel.

Tweetie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why Spider-man is becoming less popular by fans-boys. Infact, he's more popular then any other wanna be spider-man. Miles Morales is not popular that for sure. Oh and btw, Miles is not black he's some kind of Spanish. I mean I have a friend who's a latina, from P.R. and her name is Nancy Morales. So I assuming he's a latino and not black. Just saying.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Spider-Man is still awesome in my eyes. That's what matters to me

Avatar image for deactivated-57d568743bdb8
deactivated-57d568743bdb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He sucks

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's still one of the most popular comic book characters and a very profitable character.

No one talks about the terrible comic book decisions that Marvel did.

There is no way Marvel its the reason Spiderman popularity is going down.

@boynerdgeek said:

It made more money that Man of Steel.

What does MoS has to do with this? MoS wasn't a sequel like TASM 2.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I don't know if he's getting less popular as much as it is the Avengers are getting more popular. I don't view popularity as a zero-sum game.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: The point its to show people it wasnt a flop.

Sequels arent making as much as they use to make.

Into The Darkness was a flop.

It just could be franchise fatigue.

@tweetie said:

I don't see why Spider-man is becoming less popular by fans-boys. Infact, he's more popular then any other wanna be spider-man. Miles Morales is not popular that for sure. Oh and btw, Miles is not black he's some kind of Spanish. I mean I have a friend who's a latina, from P.R. and her name is Nancy Morales. So I assuming he's a latino and not black. Just saying.

And this has anything to do with this because?

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

@tweetie:

Puerto Ricans can still be black, they're descended from African slaves and European Spaniards. They're black and mixed just African Americans, Jamaicans, Dominicans etc.Even the light skinned ones that say they aren't lol.

@thing150: Batman has like 6 books of course he'd probably outsell Spidey.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RustyRoy

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@rustyroy: The point its to show people it wasnt a flop.

Sequels arent making as much as they use to make.

Into The Darkness was a flop.

It just could be franchise fatigue.

@tweetie said:

And this has anything to do with this because?

A better comparison would've been CATWS, it was a sequel, released in the same year and made around the same amount of money TASM 2 did.

@wavemotioncannon said:

@tweetie:

Puerto Ricans can still be black, they're descended from African slaves and European Spaniards. They're black and mixed just African Americans, Jamaicans, Dominicans etc.Even the light skinned ones that say they aren't lol.

@thing150: Batman has like 6 books of course he'd probably outsell Spidey.

More books doesn't mean it will sell more.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

In October, Spidey's main title (ASM) tok slots number 7 and 8. Being beat only by "events", number 1's and Batman's main title. The main title, to me, is the way to gauge this stuff. Not many folks can afford to buy EVERY Bat-title, and with Marvel giving us some twice a month titles, hard to get every "Spider-Title" but people wills till commit to the main title if they really like the character. Based on sales of a main title, the only character I see being more popular than Spider-Man is Batman.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Not fair since it was part of the Marvel cinematic universe and came out with all the hype in the world.

Man of Steel got the same trash talks that TASM 2 got.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14 said:

RDJ Ironman is incredibly popular, it's a wait and see to find out of the character survives the actor but I highly doubt it given this day and age.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Not fair since it was part of the Marvel cinematic universe and came out with all the hype in the world.

Man of Steel got the same trash talks that TASM 2 got.

That's actually a better comparison then, since it made as much money as a very hyped MCU movie.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thing150 said:

@teerack: more popular characters are generally more relevant, and spiderman is not as popular as he used to be(shown by the fact that he has been surpassed in sales and does not get as many sales as he used to).

That's really not how it works. That's like saying because Image has gotten so much more popular this past year Marvel and DC are less relevant but that's not the case at all.

Superheroes and comic books have gotten more and more popular generally so it's not that Spider-Man has gotten less popular it's more that other comics have caught up and we aren't in a time where only four or five characters in comics are big.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:
@thing150 said:

That's really not how it works. That's like saying because Image has gotten so much more popular this past year Marvel and DC are less relevant but that's not the case at all.

Superheroes and comic books have gotten more and more popular generally so it's not that Spider-Man has gotten less popular it's more that other comics have caught up and we aren't in a time where only four or five characters in comics are big.

his sales dropped and have been dropping since early 2000's......yes he is getting less popular

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By albusan

@thing150: Kid this isn't a conversation, do you know at all how to talk to people? All you're doing is saying you are right and telling every one they're wrong for disagreeing with your points, I see no debating, just you telling everyone you're right. You come off extremely childish in this post but considering you're only 16 I understand, but you obviously look extremely emotional and you probably are unbearable in person.

Not considering I'm getting three comics related to the Spider-Verse event this month, Spiderman will have the best selling books when the numbers come out for November. So there you go, Marvel has someone write a good story and people will buy the comics. Spiderman has the most popular comc cartoon currently even if I don't watch it because it's for 10 year olds. He sells merchandise like crazy, no one else compares to him besides Batman and there's no debate. Iron Man movies make money but in the comic world and everything else he will never outsell Spiderman and the Spiderman franchise has overall the highest grossing numbers, even over Batman.

If anything his brand like most comic charecters are worth more then ever before because of the movies made by Sony not Fox by the way. Also back in the day, Pre- 2000s you were what two years old? He had two cartoons in the 90s and one was great and one sucked. He has had about four different cartoon series since the 90s and one on currently.

If people are talking less about him I want to know who you think is getting more attention around here besides Batman. You can't even go off of fanboys if you think that equals popularity because Wolverine is one of the most popular comic charecters there is but he barely has any fanboys on comicvine.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

@thing150: Kid this isn't a conversation, do you know at all how to talk to people? All you're doing is saying you are right and telling every one they're wrong for disagreeing with your points, I see no debating, just you telling everyone you're right. You come off extremely childish in this post but considering you're only 16 I understand, but you obviously look extremely emotional and you probably are unbearable in person.

Not considering I'm getting three comics related to the Spider-Verse event this month, Spiderman will have the best selling books when the numbers come out for November. So there you go, Marvel has someone write a good story and people will buy the comics. Spiderman has the most popular comc cartoon currently even if I don't watch it because it's for 10 year olds. He sells merchandise like crazy, no one else compares to him besides Batman and there's no debate. Iron Man movies make money but in the comic world and everything else he will never outsell Spiderman and the Spiderman franchise has overall the highest grossing numbers, even over Batman.

If anything his brand like most comic charecters are worth more then ever before because of the movies made by Sony not Fox by the way. Also back in the day, Pre- 2000s you were what two years old? He had two cartoons in the 90s and one was great and one sucked. He has had about four different cartoon series since the 90s and one on currently.

If people are talking less about him I want to know who you think is getting more attention around here besides Batman. You can't even go off of fanboys if you think that equals popularity because Wolverine is one of the most popular comic charecters there is but he barely has any fanboys on comicvine.

Lol im not emotional at all, i'm sorry if my misinterpreted my computer tone. Are you joking? You have the nerve to come here and tell me that i'm an unbearable person without ever talking to me. What i have been saying in the entirety of my posts is that his sales have dropped(which is true) other people have surpassed him. I never once said he was not popular but its clear that he is not as popular as he once was.

Calm down child, you take things too seriously, do you know what a debate is? they state what i think and i give them a reason why i disagree, then so on and so forth. You have zero proof that he is not less popular because his sales have in fact dropped, people have surpassed him. None of this means he is not a popular character with tv shows, but he has been surpassed in the comic world.

Also how do you know my age? Have you been stalking my posts? I mean i know i'm sexy and all but you don't need to follow my every word around.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Teerack

@thing150 said:

@teerack said:
@thing150 said:

his sales dropped and have been dropping since early 2000's......yes he is getting less popular

I highly doubt you follow comic sales enough to understand the sales patters. Comic books sales have a downwards slope form their starts consistently across the board. It effects Batman, Superman, Avengers, and everything else. Did you come to this conclusion because Comic Vine just posted sales numbers for once?

The reason Marvel keeps relaunching books when they get to around 20 is because they are forcing the sales to re-peak since that's how comic sales work. They jump up one month and then slowly go down for the rest of the year.

07/2013: Batman #22 -- 132,047 (- 15.8%) 08/2013: Batman #23 -- 128,230 (- 2.9%) 09/2013: #23.1: Jkr -- 151,351 (+ 18.0%) 09/2013: #23.2: Rdlr -- 140,065 (- 7.5%) 09/2013: #23.3: Pngn -- 120,026 (- 14.3%) 09/2013: #23.4: Bane -- 124,382 (+ 7.6%) [129,156] 10/2013: Batman #24 -- 124,652 (- 3.5%) 11/2013: Batman #25 -- 125,602 (+ 0.8%) 12/2013: Batman #26 -- 119,443 (- 4.9%) 01/2014: Batman #27 -- 115,492 (- 1.7%) [117,395] 02/2014: Batman #28 -- 114,089 (- 1.3%) [115,891] 03/2014: Batman #29 -- 116,926 (+ 0.9%) 04/2014: Batman #30 -- 108,998 (- 6.8%) 05/2014: Batman #31 -- 107,499 (+ 0.2%) [109,170] 06/2014: Batman #32 -- 130,077 (+ 19.2%) 07/2014: Batman #33 -- 117,996 (- 9.3%) 

If you don't get this the percentages on the left are the changes. Almost every month it is going down, but the book is still going great. Lets look at another big name at Marvel Deadpool
No Caption Provided

If you actually follow and know how to read sales number accurately then you'd understand why you're wrong, because sales always slowly decline until there is a big event or a renumbering.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan: you are trying to call me kid and trying to make me out to be childish, you made a thread about the default avatar being racist.

you cant talk

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: if i am wrong im sorry, but i read something about it on a website, let me find it.

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@thing150 said:

Spiderman to me has been looked liked he has been losing/lost popularity. He is not as relevant as he used to be and often times is not really discussed. Back in the day(pre 2000's) spidey had loads of cartoons and fans, now he seems to be spiraling down. Even tho he recently has had movies come out those were only to have fox keep the rights to spiderman. He just is not as popular now, less people talk about him less fanboys of him. Im not saying he is not popular im just saying he is not as popular as he used to be.

do you agree or disagree

1. Sony is the ones who make the Spidey films, not fox.

2. The Amazing Spider-Man is still the best selling Marvel comic(that's not a event, or #1), and besides Batman it outsells all the DC comics(that's not an event, or #1. with the exception of Harley Quinn's futures end book last month)

3. even though critic response was negative/mediocre towards ASM2, it still out grossed IM2, Thor 2, IM, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, The Wolverine, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: The Last Stand, etc, and every DC movie that isnt TDK, or TDKR.

That being said i do think that Spidey has lost some popularity with the GA, but still is very popular with comicbook readers.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thing150 said:

do you agree or disagree

2. The Amazing Spider-Man is still the best selling Marvel comic(that's not a event, or #1), and besides Batman it outsells all the DC comics(that's not an event, or #1. with the exception of Harley Quinn's futures end book last month)

3. even though critic response was negative/mediocre towards ASM2, it still out grossed IM2, Thor 2, IM, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, The Wolverine, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: The Last Stand, etc, and every DC movie that isnt TDK, or TDKR.

That being said i do think that Spidey has lost some popularity with the GA, but still is very popular with comicbook readers.

i proclaim this the best post....

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#46  Edited By MatthewParker

@thing150 said:

@matthewparker said:

@thing150 said:

do you agree or disagree

i proclaim this the best post....

Thanks!

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thing150 said:

@albusan: you are trying to call me kid and trying to make me out to be childish, you made a thread about the default avatar being racist.

you cant talk

Stay on topc kid. You have opinions but you have people backing up their opinions to the topic, while you back none of your opinions with facts or sources. You dismessiing everyone else's opinions without any research says alot about the point of anyone having a conversation with you. If you care enough about the words you say and how they make you look then research and stop being hardheaded when someone tells you valid points.

You got alot of growing up to do but you'll never get anywhere in life if you stay hard headed.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thing150

@albusan said:

@thing150 said:

you cant talk

Stay on topc kid. You have opinions but you have people backing up their opinions to the topic, while you back none of your opinions with facts or sources. You dismessiing everyone else's opinions without any research says alot about the point of anyone having a conversation with you. If you care enough about the words you say and how they make you look then research and stop being hardheaded when someone tells you valid points.

You got alot of growing up to do but you'll never get anywhere in life if you stay hard headed.

you backed up nothing you are contradicting yourself, all you said to back up your opinion was that "spiderman will have the best selling book" you used no sources.

dismissing* spelling is important kids stay in school

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thing150 said:

@albusan said:

@thing150 said:

you cant talk

you backed up nothing you are contradicting yourself, all you said to back up your opinion was that "spiderman will have the best selling book" you used no sources.

Also, it's important to capitalize your sentences and not make run-offs! Lame, and you feel butthurt so I'll leave you alone kid.

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

@thing150 said:

@albusan said:

@thing150 said:

you cant talk

Also, it's important to capitalize your sentences and not make run-offs! Lame, and you feel butthurt so I'll leave you alone kid.

Do you mean run on sentences, a run off sentence is not a thing.

You also misspelled comic* and characters* in your previous posts, thought you should know.

You must really like me to stalk me to the point where you know my age, you're a bit of a creeper BTW.