Spider Slayer to appear in Amazing Spider-Man 2

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

It's been rumored that B.J. Novak will have a role in ASM2 and it turns out that his role is Alistair Smythe, the Spider Slayer! It's not confirmed if he will appear AS the villain or if the man behind the mask will just appear. Personally I believe this is just setting up for a future movie and he won't be a villain. But you gotta question what Sony is doing cramming all of these characters into one movie (cough like MOS2 cough)

Thoughts on this?

My thoughts: I thought BJ Novak was the WORST part of The Office (despite being a producer) so my opinion on his is negative. But I will keep an open mind and see how this plays out.

PS: If this was already posted, I apologize, I went back like 5 pages and didn't find anything so I made this.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

The reason Spider-Man 3 was a shit movie was not because it had lots of villains, it was because they were portrayed and written horribly.

So, I don't have a problem with having lots of characters and I don't understand why everyone else does. As long as the writing and acting is good, so will the movie.

Now, I don't know how big of a deal this character is (probably a cameo since we haven't seen him on trailers) and I don't know anything about the actor so at this point I'm like whatever. Polly just future movie teasers since we know there is at least 2 more coming. (not including "Venom" and "S6" movies if they do those too)

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

4 f*cking villains.

ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Too many villains creates a lack of focus for me. The only way multiple villains work is if it's a Sinister Six type deal, which maybe this is

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Too many villains creates a lack of focus for me. The only way multiple villains work is if it's a Sinister Six type deal, which maybe this is

Every film in TDK trilogy had 2 principle villains and worked wonderfully in the first two films. In the case of Joker/Two face - it produced the best CBM ever in my opinion. Even in TDKR the problem wasn't multiple villains, it was they were handled incorrectly. So again...the number means nothing.

In Lord of the Rings there were 3 princple threats. Saurman and the Uru-hai. Witch-King and the Goblins and Golem (more in the books) and that worked wonderfully too.

So once again, I personally so no problems with multiple villains. It all comes down to the writing and acting.

And no reason to think its nothing more than a cameo since we've seen nothing about him from the trailers. Even Rhino seems to be a minor villain.

And yes. They are building up for S6. They've said as much several times - even said they want to make a S6 movie .

ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: The way I saw it, there are three equally divides villains in AMS2; Rhino, GG, and Electro. Balancing all 3 villains equally like that can be tricky, but yeah it's doable.

Also in the Nolan trilogy, there weren't really villains sharing the spotlight.

Batman Begins: The exception. Ra's and Scarecrow shared pretty equally I thought. However, at the end of the day if you want to know who was the secondary villain, just ask yourself who got one-shotted by Racheal Dawes.

TDK: No contest, Joker is the main feature, mobsters and Two-Face are secondaries.

TDKR: Bane is again the feature, and Talia is a non-factor until the end. Catwoman isn't even a villain.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@imthedamnbatman: You thinking Rhino, GG and Electro are all 3 main villains is purely an assumption.

If anything the trailers indicate Electro is the main guy and Rhino is very much a secondary character with GG being a guy that has lasting effects in the future.

Joker straight up said Two-Face was his ace in the hole. He spends an extreme amount of time turning Dent into Two-Face and his entire ideological is based on Dent's fall. He might not have fought batman as often, but he was very much important to the story.

ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

@fallschirmjager: Until the movie comes out, everything is an assumption.

We are talking about villains. Dent was a villain for 20 minutes. Non-comparable.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@imthedamnbatman said:

@fallschirmjager: Until the movie comes out, everything is an assumption.

We are talking about villains. Dent was a villain for 20 minutes. Non-comparable.

20 of the most important minutes of the film. His acts as had far reaching consequences well into the next film.

He was more important to the trilogy as a whole than Joker in fact.

You could probably argue Crane was as well, since he showed up and was doing stuff in every movie.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It baffles me how much Spider-Man 3 hurt comic book fans that every time they hear more than 2 villains in a film they just lose it.Movies have been dealing with big casts since the beginning of the medium, it's nothing new, and they can obviously work no matter the film your working on, superhero movies aren't an exception.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By comedy_brosUSA
animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By animehunter
kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangeman said:

It baffles me how much Spider-Man 3 hurt comic book fans that every time they hear more than 2 villains in a film they just lose it.Movies have been dealing with big casts since the beginning of the medium, it's nothing new, and they can obviously work no matter the film your working on, superhero movies aren't an exception.

This is actually a really good point. Spider-Man 3 just scared so many people ahahah.

@comedy_brosusa said:

@arturocalakayvee: Whyyyyyy? too many villains

^This, Definitely over crowded

It's not confirmed he's going to be a villain, I think this is just Sony playing it smart and alluding to a future villain in ASM whether it be 3 or 4.

LiquidEmpires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh... So even spidey gets the MOS treatment. Its a shame.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedy_brosusa said:

@arturocalakayvee: Whyyyyyy? too many villains

^This, Definitely over crowded

seriously, I mean we have Rhino, Electro, and Harry Goblin. plus a possible appearance by Dr. Morbius(it was teased earlier in development) and cameo's of Doc Ock's tentacles and Vulture's Wings(maybe we'll even see the alter egos). and possibly....BLACK CAT????? and now Spider Slayer. that's too many. except I think their going into a weird psychological based spider man series. I really want Mysterio to be in the next movie. I have a thread for that idea.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is it's a build-up to Sinister Six. Electro, Rhino, Harry Osbourne, Vulture, Doc Ock, and Spider Slayer.

I have high hopes for this movie. It may seem overcrowded, but I don't have a problem with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

He probably isn't a villian, maybe he just made Rhino's mech It probably will be little more than a cameo.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyiena said:

He probably isn't a villian, maybe he just made Rhino's mech It probably will be little more than a cameo.

Oh, that's a good point. I didn't even think of the possibility that he could be responsible for Rhino's tech. I presume the character will be another OsCorp worker as well. It seems they want to tie everything good and bad to that company.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By PunyParker

@comedy_brosusa: @animehunter: @arturocalakayvee: You people DONT get it.

The MAIN villian is ELECTRO!!!

Harry-Goblin is there for a reason.Rhino is there for a reason.And the "Spider-Slayer" isn't there!!!....Smythe is an OsCorp scientist.He's not the villian!!....

They NEED to set up a SinSix movie.They won't come up with it out of the blue,they need some character intro.C'mon.
In ASM 3 Norman will be the main villian,but expect another 2 guys popping out,like in this movie.....

Calm your tits.

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imthedamnbatman: I dunno, it works for heros, if Sony can mirror XMen, then I feel a sinister six would work, as long as they all get plenty of screen time.... But then that would mean less Spider-Man. And people asking why it's not called Sinister Six: the movie ;)

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harry-Goblin is there for a reason.Rhino is there for a reason.And the "Spider-Slayer" isn't there!!!....Smythe is an OsCorp scientist.He's not the villian!!....

They NEED to set up a SinSix movie.They won't come up with it out of the blue,they need some character intro.C'mon.

In ASM 3 Norman will be the main villian,but expect another 2 guys popping out,like in this movie.....

Calm your tits.

I don't think I ever mentioned them not being there for a reason. I even stated in my last statement that I can see what element they are going for in the series, and that was KINDA indicating that I knew they had a reason, but still seemed too much.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

Calm your tits.

I don't think I ever mentioned them not being there for a reason. I even stated in my last statement that I can see what element they are going for in the series, and that was KINDA indicating that I knew they had a reason, but still seemed too much.

Yeah, really. If anything, YOU'RE the only whose gotta calm their tits, PP :p

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People always accuse CBMs of cramming to many characters into a single movie before it comes out. The one time where it had a little justification after release was SM3 even though most people I see agree that three villains wasn't the problem with the movie.
This stuff always works out, man.