#1 Edited by Nightcraft (322 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of the costumes in comics have usually bothered me, but some more than others. For example this one, why does almost every female in comics have a need to show off their hair? It doesn't even make sense why they would want to show it. While you can make the argument with the opposing gender, it's almost extremely rare to find one for just females to cover their damn hairdo. What irritates me more is when they make a female equivalent of a male character and alter the design just to give her costume hair. Despite the fact that the character may have been bald and it makes no sense for her to have hair, ugh.

I'm actually interested and would love to see if anyone could make a list of let's say fifteen heroines who covers their do. But let's try to make it fun, no one connected to the Batman franchise and no wigs.

#2 Posted by Batman242 (4862 posts) - - Show Bio

........I can't do it.

#3 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6506 posts) - - Show Bio

So your mad cause women in comics can't wear a hairnet?

#4 Posted by i_like_swords (17620 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Wolfrazer (7730 posts) - - Show Bio

There is somewhat of a point though, hair can be grabbed onto and used against someone especially if its long...just like ties.

#6 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

There is somewhat of a point though, hair can be grabbed onto and used against someone especially if its long...

So can capes. Doesn't seem to bother Batman. Or Superman.

#7 Posted by Nightcraft (322 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: @ultrastarkiller:

Nah, it's something I literally get irritated with and am generally interested in. As stated above, it's something to grab onto and it sort of ruins the whole secret identity thing, so it would just make sense not to do it if it is going to get in the way. But that's generally a very mild annoyance on my part. But what does tend to frustrate me is when they make a female equivalent of a male character and have to alter the costume to make a generic costume design just because it happens to be a woman.

Anyways I wasn't planning on going or coming across as super feminist to you or anyone else. It's just something I have been interested in for awhile and wish to know if their were any characters that fought this old trope. Without stating the obvious Batman-related ones, I can name maybe ten or less on my own.

#8 Edited by i_like_swords (17620 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: @ultrastarkiller:

Nah, it's something I literally get irritated with and am generally interested in. As stated above, it's something to grab onto and it sort of ruins the whole secret identity thing, so it would just make sense not to do it if it is going to get in the way. But that's generally a very mild annoyance on my part. But what does tend to frustrate me is when they make a female equivalent of a male character and have to alter the costume to make a generic costume design just because it happens to be a woman.

Anyways I wasn't planning on going or coming across as super feminist to you or anyone else. It's just something I have been interested in for awhile and wish to know if their were any characters that fought this old trope. Without stating the obvious Batman-related ones, I can name maybe ten or less on my own.

Ah right, I see your point now. Although, there are some women who have hair out and non-identity-concealing costumes simply because they go by their name, as do some males.

But if "super-susan" has a secret identity, with long blonde hair down to her ass and a small black eye mask, I see your point.

At first I was like "why does this person hate hair so much?.." Lol.

#9 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

The original Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) didn't show any hair in her first appearance. Sure, it was changed. But look! No hair!

Then you've got Bleez. Bleez doesn't show any hair.

Then there's Samus Aran, who definitely counts.

But yeah, this is hard. Those are my three. It is pretty uncommon.

#10 Edited by Pokeysteve (8689 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulleteer.......I'm out

#11 Posted by spidermanandsuperman (283 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow never thought about this you just blew my mind

#12 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a bit strange.

#13 Posted by Billy Batson (58358 posts) - - Show Bio

There's Catwoman (at times) and Crimson Fox who also cover their hair.

But some use wigs to cover up their secret identities.

BB

#14 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the reason that it happens is that long hair is culturally linked with woman in the U.S.

#15 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@wolfrazer said:

There is somewhat of a point though, hair can be grabbed onto and used against someone especially if its long...

So can capes. Doesn't seem to bother Batman. Or Superman.

It bothered Superman when he fought Helspont. He's apparently the only villain that has common sense...

#16 Posted by Nightcraft (322 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't even consider Samus since she isn't really... Well you know, a comic book character. Anyways I didn't know that about Spider-Woman, thanks!

#17 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

It is about being visually flattering to the character.

#18 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't even consider Samus since she isn't really... Well you know, a comic book character. Anyways I didn't know that about Spider-Woman, thanks!

Samus had a comic once, well manga, but that's splitting cultural hairs at this point.

#19 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I know about Samus Aran. :P It's just that I'm kind of a fan, and since she's appeared in a few of the old Nintendo comics, I wanted to include her. Also just because I like Metroid. I DID IT FOR ME, ALRIGHT?

But yeah, Spider-Woman...

#20 Posted by Nightcraft (322 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee:

Haha, well I'm just being picky here, but I'm personally not going to count her. But feel free to add it to your own list if you like!

I'm honestly surprised no one has named a few of the more popular examples. Although after naming them, you sort of get stumped.

#21 Posted by AnyWhichWayButUp (760 posts) - - Show Bio

The real thing you should worry about is why do they have such big milk jugs. They don't serve a purpose in battle.

#22 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

The real thing you should worry about is why do they have such big milk jugs. They don't serve a purpose in battle.

Distraction?

#23 Edited by DwightSpitz (567 posts) - - Show Bio

At most times, Catwoman covers her hair, or so I would like to remember at least. She even covers her hair more often than she does her eyes (which is frustrating as f*** when the writer/drawer does, how she gonna keep her identity secret when you can see her face?).

Sorry, missed the last part about no Batfamily.

#24 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6469 posts) - - Show Bio

Medusa needs her hair to be very long so she can fight.

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

Long hair has long been considered a bad thing for combat, the Roman's invented the military cut to prevent people from yanking a soldier's head back to slit his throat. It can also obscure vision if it gets in their face and prevent a helmet from fitting properly which made it less effective as armor. Basically anyone who is serious about combat would keep it short or at least tied back in real life.

#26 Posted by MagnificentStorm (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

Is everyone forgetting about DUST her is always covered

#27 Posted by Nightcraft (322 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap, instead of listing examples of people who wears proper cowls and showing off how knowledgeable you are with characters. Some of you guys have decided to defend the use of hair in comics, haha. I'm not complaining, but I just find it quite interesting that barely anyone has actually tried to tackled the list I proposed, with a few exceptions.

#28 Posted by TDK_1997 (15097 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't think of any except Catwoman,Crimson Fox and Bleez.