So I've been following superherohype.com, CV, and all the others on what movie news has been/will be revealed at SDCC. Here's what I've gathered so far, although I'm sure you guys already know of such things :)
- It's confirmed that there will be another Fantastic Four movie (reboot) and it will be directed by Josh Trank, the guy who did Chronicle. That's awesome, because Chronicle was awesome, so in turn, this movie should be awesome.
- If Fox doesn't have anything to say about a Daredevil movie by this Fall, the rights will revert back to Marvel/Disney, which means that if that goes to pass, we could get a movie where Punisher and Daredevil crossover (as Marvel/Disney would own both of them). Or, even better, we could potentially get a Marvel Knights movie with DD, Punisher, Cage, Iron Fist, etc. Best thing ever? I think so.
- Apparently, Man of Steel will be the only superhero movie that DC/WB will be putting out in the next 3 years. In that 3 year gap, they'll probably brood about how epic Avengers was, and they'll finally pull their thumbs out of their asses and start making great movies that aren't about Batman. The Flash, Green Lantern 2, and Wonder Woman movies are all supposedly in development. The MOS teaser has been confirmed to be about a minute and a half long, will debut at SDCC, and will be attached to The Dark Knight Rises. UPDATE: It was shown, and people literally cried. When asked about Justice League, Snyder said that Superman's the crowned jewel of the DC superheroes. They want to test out his world before they go further onto that road. For some reason, Snyder kept avoiding to say that Zod is the villain. What's that about?
- Oh, and Justice League. We might not see it right away, but when it happens, it'll be great. DC's trying to get more video games starring the characters to get them more familiar to the public, so that's the deal with Injustice: Gods Among Us, Lego Batman 2, and the new "Arkham" prequel (2014), which will apparently feature the JLA. Oh, and that's also why WB is pushing the Green Arrow show so hard. My question: Why the hell can't we get a new JL cartoon that's just as awesome as Young Justice? Now would be the best time for that.
And that's it for right now... Apparently there's gonna be huge news later on today about Iron Man 3, and my lover Ant-Man, so I'll keep you posted because I have nothing better to do :'D
- UPDATE: At the Iron Man 3 panel, Don Cheadle, who plays War Machine/James Rhodes, confirmed that Mandarin is in fact a villain in the film, but he will not be the only one. So that confirms so far that the film will feature AIM, Extremis, and Mandarin, as well as the Iron Patriot armor... Interesting.
Edit: Saturday evening was huge, and I'm sure everyone who's anyone knows what was revealed. If not, let's recap:
- The Captain America sequel will be called Captain America: The Winter Soldier. That confirms the return of Bucky Barnes, something that we all should have expected. It's awesome to have confirmation, though. There's very high speculations that Falcon will also be in the film as well. Release date is confirmed to be April 4, 2014.
- Thor 2 will be called Thor: The Dark World, and it's release date is November 8, 2013. Loki will not be the main bad guy, which leads many to suspect it's a bigger threat than even he. Surtur maybe?
- Ant-Man footage was shown, and this is a description of what it was all about:
The footage was obviously rough, but I thought the big/small effects worked great. Wright found a way to make Ant-Man’s power work in a cool and useful way on screen, while still allowing room for the playful tone that he does so well. The lights then came back up.
- They then revealed test footage that Wright shot for Ant-Man, after Wright toyed for a bit with the audience saying they wouldn’t really want to see a clip of stuff with wires and blue screens in it. It’s completely unfinished since they shot it two weeks ago, but they showed the footage anyway because Marvel absolutely owns Comic-Con. The footage opened with Ant-Man sitting on a ledge in an air conditioning vent that lead to a hallway guarded by two agents. The costume was pretty metallic looking, and he snuck through the vent hole and started running down the hallway. He morphed to normal size, shocking the guards, then morphed back down to ant size and kept running. Still in “ant size” he leapt up and punched one of the guys in the face, knocking the spit out of him, then he ran and attacked the other guard.
- “I’ve been doing one second of that for the last six years,” quipped Wright
- Wright confirmed that the costume mixing the Silver Age and contemporary Ant-Man, adding “Ant-Man will kick your ass one inch at a time.”
- Wright said there’s no casting to announce, but “revealed” that Ant-Man has been here all day, pulling out an Ant-Man title card and putting it on the table next to him.
Unfortunately, we don't have an exact release date, but it is confirmed that it's finally happening.
- Finally, Marvel's mystery 2014 film was revealed to in fact be Guardians of the Galaxy. The release date is confirmed to be August 1, 2014. Members include: Starlord, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Drax, and Gamora. Concept art was also shown.
And that's that! If you asked me, I'd say that it's safe to believe that Marvel won this portion of SDCC! As cool as all that Marvel stuff was, the Man of Steel teaser was very well-received, so while DC/WB didn't have much, they at least aren't going home losers.