Some good books that are published by Image?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I was looking at my comic book collection and I noticed I don't really have much Image. I have Chew, Invincible, Saga, and some of Walking Dead. I also have a few random issues and I am reading C.O.W.L. Besides that I haven't read any thing else from Image.

This is why I need suggestions. So, maybe you guys can help.

As a general note I didn't really enjoy Saga (It's way to in your face as far as nudity goes) and Walking Dead (Just didn't appeal to me)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Starlight is fantastic. Its by Millar, but its not millarworldy and gross.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I read Velvet and Lazarus. Also gonna be getting the Fade Out starting next month.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

@dagmar_merrill: I don't really read anything current by Image, but the old Spawn stuff and Astounding Wolf-Man can be gotten in trades and both are really good in my opinion. If you haven't read them and aren't looking for a current ongoing that is haha.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't be a Gary, read Rat Queens.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

Chew is pretty great. I read the first one, loved it and picked up all the trades off the shelf.

Never mind

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dagmar_merrill: East of West, still getting into it but the world building is great and the plot is interesting and flows nicely, making you want to read every month. It's very "Hickman" though, so that could be a positive or a negative depending on how you like his writing.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Billy Batson
  • Age of Bronze
  • Bulletproof Coffin
  • Casanova
  • Elephantmen
  • Dynamo 5
  • Fell
  • Godland
  • I Kill Giants
  • Kabuki
  • King City
  • Mage
  • Noble Causes
  • Orc Stain
  • Phonogram
  • Prophet
  • Rex Mundi
  • Rocketo
  • Stray Bullets
  • Storm Dogs
  • Strange Embrace

BB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: I've only heard of two on your list. Stray bullets and elephantmen, and elephant had me interested (It has some fantastic covers) a little while ago but I never picked it up. Mind telling me what it is about?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll reply to every body in a few hours. I need sleep.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Black Science

Alex + Ada

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Deadly Class is new. Its amazing and they just wrapped up the first arc. I think its out in trade. I highly recommend it.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My current list of Image books. I love them all for different reasons.

Singles: Black Science, Velvet, Southern Bastards, & Lazarus. Starting The Fade Out this month.

Trades: Saga, East of West, Rat Queens, & Deadly Class. Probably Nailbiter when the first trade releases.

Read the first issue of Outcast. It was pretty good, but the demonic possession and exorcism genre isn't my thing.

Truthfully, all of the Image books I read are usually my most look forwarded to, with a couple of exceptions such as Superior Foes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sheltered is good too.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

The new titles they announced recently all look fantastic. I'd keep an eye out for those.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill Are you interested in any particular genres? Subject matters/styles? Creators?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

I'll echo what a couple others have listed for current series

-East of West: A sci-fi Western set in a dystopian future where the United States are not so united and haven't been since the Civil War. The main characters are the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. It is good but as someone else noted it is also very "Hickman."

-Black Science: Grant McKay, an ex-member of the Anarchist Order of Scientists, and his team/kids travel to alien worlds while they try to find their way home. It mixes Sliders with Lost in Space and Flash Gordon. The art can be phenomenal at times. It's not my favorite title but it is fun enough.

Some other enjoyable ongoing titles

-Morning Glories: It's like Lost at a boarding school.

-Revival: One day in a small Nebraskan town the dead came back to life, which leads to a government quarantine and a lot of questions about religion. The "Revivals" aren't zombies but the series mixes horror with noir as it follows the police officer specifically assigned to all cases involving "Revivals."

-Jupiter's Legacy: The story explores the generational conflict between a group of aging superheroes who used the powers they gained in 1932 for the betterment of mankind, and their children, who are daunted by the prospect of living up to their parents' legacy. Millar describes it as what it would be like to grow up as Wonder Woman and Superman's kids, and a treatise on the Superhero connection to the American ideal. It sounds pretentious but it isn't.

-Undertow: The story of Atlantis. It's focused on a rebel faction that is seeking out a legend to help bring about revolution in Atlantis and expand their civilization to land.

-Trees: A Warren Ellis Story about Alien contact. They aren't little green men but rather gigantic Trees that decimated the area they landed, laid their roots and then nada. The story takes place 10 years after the Trees landed and the human population still doesn't know anything about them and they still haven't tried to communicate.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

I personally liked Savage Dragon, Saga, Velvet & Body Bags.

Avatar image for thesmallvillefan12
TheSmallvillefan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saga and Nailbitter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starlight is fantastic. Its by Millar, but its not millarworldy and gross.

I'm not a big fan of Millar but I will check out the first 3 issues. Thanks.

@dagmar_merrill: I don't really read anything current by Image, but the old Spawn stuff and Astounding Wolf-Man can be gotten in trades and both are really good in my opinion. If you haven't read them and aren't looking for a current ongoing that is haha.

Spawn is on a my list of things I will read eventually but it's really long so I am putting that one off for now. Thanks though.

A gary?

Chew is pretty great. I read the first one, loved it and picked up all the trades off the shelf.

Never mind

Ha.

@maccyd said:

@dagmar_merrill: East of West, still getting into it but the world building is great and the plot is interesting and flows nicely, making you want to read every month. It's very "Hickman" though, so that could be a positive or a negative depending on how you like his writing.

I'll check out the first trade, it's only like 8 bucks on amazon. Thank you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll respond to everyone else after I get more sleep.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dagmar_merrill:

You are getting some great suggestions on here. I've become I really big fan of Image this past year. You are in for some good reading, for sure.

Black Science

Alex + Ada

Alex + Ada should really start picking up now, with the last issue ending the way it did. I'm really enjoying it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: The 1st trade for A+A was really good.

d_bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By d_bones

Hmm I figure I can just piggy back this thread for advice as well. I'm checking out some of the image comics I haven't read but have heard good things about. Any thoughts/suggestions about....

Manifest Destiny, Rat Queens, Sex Criminals, Ten Grand or Zero?

As for the OP these are the Image Comics I like...

Chew (you've read it already but man it is awesome), Saga, Elephantmen, Lazarus, East of West, Five Ghosts (if you are into literature this series is super cool as it is about a guy who is possessed by 5 literary archetype ghosts like The Vampire, The Detective or The Samurai. Super interesting) and it's not my favourite either but the Walking Dead is decent.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sex Criminals ,The Manhattan Projects, Alex + Ada, The Maxxx, Deadly Class, Nowhere Men, Rocket Girl, Jupiter's Legacy, Prophet, Velvet, Umbral, Rat Queens,The Saviors

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmashBrawler

@dagmar_merrill said:

@smashbrawler said:

A gary?

An in-joke you'll only understand if you've read Rat Queens. In other words, just another reason to read this series other than for its fantastic main characters, artwork and humor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Science

Alex + Ada

The first issue of Alex + Ada is free on Comixology. I'll check that out. Thank you.

Deadly Class is new. Its amazing and they just wrapped up the first arc. I think its out in trade. I highly recommend it.

I'll look into the first trade. Thank you.

My current list of Image books. I love them all for different reasons.

Singles: Black Science, Velvet, Southern Bastards, & Lazarus. Starting The Fade Out this month.

Trades: Saga, East of West, Rat Queens, & Deadly Class. Probably Nailbiter when the first trade releases.

Read the first issue of Outcast. It was pretty good, but the demonic possession and exorcism genre isn't my thing.

Truthfully, all of the Image books I read are usually my most look forwarded to, with a couple of exceptions such as Superior Foes.

You should check out C.O.W.L. and Chew. :D

The new titles they announced recently all look fantastic. I'd keep an eye out for those.

I'll be reading Injection and maybe Toyko Ghosts. (Mainly for Sean Murphy though)

@dagmar_merrill Are you interested in any particular genres? Subject matters/styles? Creators?

Uh.. I'll read any type of book.

I'll echo what a couple others have listed for current series

-East of West: A sci-fi Western set in a dystopian future where the United States are not so united and haven't been since the Civil War. The main characters are the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. It is good but as someone else noted it is also very "Hickman."

-Black Science: Grant McKay, an ex-member of the Anarchist Order of Scientists, and his team/kids travel to alien worlds while they try to find their way home. It mixes Sliders with Lost in Space and Flash Gordon. The art can be phenomenal at times. It's not my favorite title but it is fun enough.

Some other enjoyable ongoing titles

-Morning Glories: It's like Lost at a boarding school.

-Revival: One day in a small Nebraskan town the dead came back to life, which leads to a government quarantine and a lot of questions about religion. The "Revivals" aren't zombies but the series mixes horror with noir as it follows the police officer specifically assigned to all cases involving "Revivals."

-Jupiter's Legacy: The story explores the generational conflict between a group of aging superheroes who used the powers they gained in 1932 for the betterment of mankind, and their children, who are daunted by the prospect of living up to their parents' legacy. Millar describes it as what it would be like to grow up as Wonder Woman and Superman's kids, and a treatise on the Superhero connection to the American ideal. It sounds pretentious but it isn't.

-Undertow: The story of Atlantis. It's focused on a rebel faction that is seeking out a legend to help bring about revolution in Atlantis and expand their civilization to land.

-Trees: A Warren Ellis Story about Alien contact. They aren't little green men but rather gigantic Trees that decimated the area they landed, laid their roots and then nada. The story takes place 10 years after the Trees landed and the human population still doesn't know anything about them and they still haven't tried to communicate.

I'll look into Revival and Trees. Thank you.

@d_bones said:

Hmm I figure I can just piggy back this thread for advice as well. I'm checking out some of the image comics I haven't read but have heard good things about. Any thoughts/suggestions about....

Manifest Destiny, Rat Queens, Sex Criminals, Ten Grand or Zero?

As for the OP these are the Image Comics I like...

Chew (you've read it already but man it is awesome), Saga, Elephantmen, Lazarus, East of West, Five Ghosts (if you are into literature this series is super cool as it is about a guy who is possessed by 5 literary archetype ghosts like The Vampire, The Detective or The Samurai. Super interesting) and it's not my favourite either but the Walking Dead is decent.

I'm going to look into Five Ghosts. I know @battle_forum_junkie liked that. thank you.

@deadgod said:

Sex Criminals ,The Manhattan Projects, Alex + Ada, The Maxxx, Deadly Class, Nowhere Men, Rocket Girl, Jupiter's Legacy, Prophet, Velvet, Umbral, Rat Queens,The Saviors

Thank you for the suggestions.

@dagmar_merrill said:

@smashbrawler said:

A gary?

An in-joke you'll only understand if you've read Rat Queens. In other words, just another reason to read this series other than for its fantastic main characters, artwork and humor.

I'll buy the first trade so I figure out what you're talking about.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I haven't noticed anyone mention this but Death Vigil, even though it's really only one issue in, I've really enjoyed it so far. And the art is fantastic.