So Why does everyone hate David Goyer?

• 78 results
flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't understand it? The tv show he writes is pretty good.

Avatar image for catriona_knightfall
Catriona_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's said some pretty gross stuff

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Because he's a dick.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Because he talks out his @$$.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flameboy298
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Because he's an asshole with no respect for the fans of the genres that are the only reason anyone knows who the hell he is. Also he's a bit of a hack when given actual creative control. When he works with other writers and has a good director giving notes he's fine but he's proven time and again that he's incapable of doing any quality work on his own, despite this fact he has an over inflated ego and believes he's better than he is.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JakeN7

@flameboy298 said:

@jaken7 said:

@flameboy298: He got a lot of justified backlash for these gross comments. http://www.themarysue.com/david-goyer-calls-she-hulk-sex-fantasy/

Fair enough. But for some reason when it comes down to DC movies people really seem to dislike Zack Snyder,and David Goyer...especially for Man of Steel(which wasn't that bad)

Zack Snyder is a fairly mediocre director. He was too caught up in making a faithful adaptation of a comic (Watchmen, 300, etc.) and not focused enough on making a good film. But as soon as he did decide to deviate, he went way overboard (Man of Steel). Personally, I quite disliked Man of Steel, and it was very polarizing among film critics. Snyder and Goyer are both responsible for that film, and neither of them have the greatest pedigree when it comes to their past films as a whole.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Ah okay Thanks for that insight.. The only Snyder film I've seen was Man of Steel,and Watchmen(which was pretty good)

I heard the rest of his work were a hit and miss.

But MoS was too dark and too serious.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JakeN7

Because he's an asshole with no respect for the fans of the genres that are the only reason anyone knows who the hell he is. Also he's a bit of a hack when given actual creative control. When he works with other writers and has a good director giving notes he's fine but he's proven time and again that he's incapable of doing any quality work on his own, despite this fact he has an over inflated ego and believes he's better than he is.

No Caption Provided

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By flameboy298

Okay I understand haha....I just thought all this anger was over exaggerated especially the Zack Snyder is a horrible director rants.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Ah okay Thanks for that insight.. The only Snyder film I've seen was Man of Steel,and Watchmen(which was pretty good)

I heard the rest of his work were a hit and miss.

But MoS was too dark and too serious.

Watchmen deserves praise for how absolutely faithful it was, and it had some quality cinematography. Overall, it was a good movie. The problem is that it could have been so much more if he wasn't so afraid of deviating from the source material. The ending was different though, so there's that, but the original ending had to be changed either way. Wouldn't have worked for film.

For sure. That describes it in a nutshell.

Absolutely.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay I understand haha....I just thought all this anger was over exaggerated especially the Zack Snyder is a horrible director rants.

Horrible is an over exaggeration for sure. At his worst, he's terribly mediocre. At his best, he's pretty good.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy298: Snyder is definitely hit and miss, he's not a terrible director like some claim but he's not a great one either. I actually liked MOS, but I can understand why some people didn't. Tho those people freaking out because Superman wasn't a perfect boyscout in the movie, are obviously not Superman fans. If they were, they'd know Superman hasn't been that since the silver age ended, nor did he start out that way.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate David S. Goyer because a bulk of his writing is crap. For one, his work on Man of Steel was horrible... cramming in several actions scenes and never allowing for an understanding of the character of Clark Kent and why he even donned the suit early on in the film... and reading the original script for Batman Begins off of the internet, I noted a bulk of the writing and dialogue was altered by Christopher Nolan - because Goyer's dialogue is either over the top of plainly bad.

Also; he's made some pretty knowledge-lacking sexist comments about She Hulk, claiming she's a part of this male fantasy that is Hulk - and that MARVEL created her so that The Hulk's male fantasy would be fulfilled and that he'd have someone to sleep with. So, yeah, basically... that's it.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: We didn't want a perfect boy scout we just didn't want Superman to be emo.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By joshmightbe

@darkbeam: Okay, so your saying if you had to choose between allowing a genocide and destroying the only other members of your species you wouldn't get emotional?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't see the point in hating DG, yeah he's said some dumb stuff, but who cares. As long as whatever he's writing is good, enjoy it. Same goes for a**hole actors.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: I didn't care about that what I didn't like is them making him emo with no friends as a kid and teen and then him wandering around being annoying and emo as he travels the world.And they made Lois know his secret right a way which I hate.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbeam: That word is so over used on these forums, and tossed around I dont think anyone knows what it means anymore..

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbeam: I agree on the Lois thing, as for the loner thing, that kind of makes sense of you're going more for what it would really be like for a guy with that kind of power who didn't want to conquer or destroy the world. Also with the exception of that silo and gas station, all that destruction people pin on Superman was actually caused by Zod's forces, and I hate the whole Superman doesn't kill argument considering it wasn't even the first (or even second) time he'd killed Zod. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of valid complaints I've heard about this movie and I don't think its great but it wasn't terrible. I just see it as one more reinterpretation of Superman along with the many others, and they can't all be great.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I happen to like the guy.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: I don't hate the movie I just expected better.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, he ruined the last Blade movie.

In reality, he was trying to launch a Nightstalkers series by giving them as much screen time as possible and cutting out most of Blade himself. Which was why Snipes was such an asshole on the set. Even Kris Kristofferson didn't like the crappy changes and the result was what we got. A film not even the actors wanted to be in.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkbeam: I think what happened is that Snyder tried too hard to cater to those people that kept screaming about how they wanted a more grounded and realistic Superman while ignoring the fact that those people were never actually fans of the character.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28 JediXMan  Moderator

@jaken7 said:

Zack Snyder is a fairly mediocre director. He was too caught up in making a faithful adaptation of a comic (Watchmen, 300, etc.) and not focused enough on making a good film.

I quite like Watchmen.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ccraft said:

I don't see the point in hating DG, yeah he's said some dumb stuff, but who cares. As long as whatever he's writing is good, enjoy it. Same goes for a**hole actors.

Actors yes but writers talk how they think.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't understand it? The tv show he writes is pretty good.

The Dark Knight Rises. Man Of Steel.

Goyer is an ok writer. He's written some decent stories. He's overrated though and he's been entrusted to write some stories he definitely didn't have a handle on.

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's a great writer.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Did you read my later comment? Because I fairly like Watchmen as well, although it does drag on a bit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Hey, I have mean meaning to ask (and I don't feel like looking up your ask thread) what is your favorite comic series of all time?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because he's an _sshole with no respect for the fans of the genres that are the only reason anyone knows who the hell he is. Also he's a bit of a hack when given actual creative control. When he works with other writers and has a good director giving notes he's fine but he's proven time and again that he's incapable of doing any quality work on his own, despite this fact he has an over inflated ego and believes he's better than he is.

This is so mean and so good, haha.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JakeN7

@dagmar_merrill: Heh. Ask thread actually got bumped like an hour ago or so.

All Star Superman. My favorite non-superhero book is Punk Rock Jesus.

Although my favorite run is Morrison's Batman, and my favorite part of that is his Batman and Robin series.

^_^

Why'd you wanna know?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Nice choices, I have Punk Rock Jesus on my list of things to read.

I just like knowing what peoples favorite books are. Even more so when i talk tot hem on a semi-frequent basis.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see the hate for the guy, everybody says stupid things in their life. He has written good movies and has written bad movies, as long as he writes a good movie I don't care.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@jaken7 said:

@dagmar_merrill: Heh. Ask thread actually got bumped like an hour ago or so.

All Star Superman. My favorite non-superhero book is Punk Rock Jesus.

Although my favorite run is Morrison's Batman, and my favorite part of that is his Batman and Robin series.

^_^

Why'd you wanna know?

*now can troll you with this knowledge*

Who likes landmark Superman stories, this geek *nudges* hehe

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Tell me how you like it when you get around to it!

Ah. Well, what are yours?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darling_luna: What have I done!?

But yeah, I read it for the Morrison factor, and to see what the fuss was about maybe 2 (?) years back. Prior to that I kind of hated Superman. All Star was what made me "get it." Now he's a fave of mine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Will do.

1. Gaiman's Sandman
  2. Willingham's Fables
  3. Morrison's Doom Patrol.
  4. All Star Superman
  5. Watcmen.
SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: His Batman and Robin was AMAZING

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: Those are absolutely fantastic choices. Would you recommend Doom Patrol? I hear that's like Morrison's break out hit, but I've never read it, and know very little about the Doom Patrol.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I thought his comments were harmless and funny.... but then again I have a thick skin and don't care about a lot of stuff

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool: Absolutely. Especially considering he was working with very stylized and polarizing artists. A lot of people don't like Frank Quietly (I personally think he's fantastic), and I (as well as others) am definitely not a Frazer Irving fan. Despite that, he was able to craft an excellent story with one of the most interesting dynamics in comics.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jaken7: Nothing I just like trolling you *puts my pikachu hat on you*

I guess that's something we have in common as Morrison's JLA: Tower of Babel was one the first comics I read

And you should read DP, morrison's and the others, its the fantastic for, but likable heeh

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cloakx14

i don't like him for two reason he ruin the blade Franchise and she disrepected my woman Jennifer Walters. She-Hulk is not a hoe.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darling_luna: *is sad it's not a charmander hat*

No! You're supposed to disagree with me on everything. :3 But yeah, I got Tower of Babel from me mum two Christmases ago, and I loved it.

I also heard that they were the inspiration for the X-Men. Even have a wheelchair mentor guy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Yeah, it's Morrison at his best. You have a painting that captures all of Paris when a evil group called "The brotherhood of Dada" uses it. One of the members of this dastardly group has the power to have the power you don't think of, it ends with the 5th horseman of the Apocalypse being unleashed. And that's only the second arc! You don't even need to know anything about the Doom Patrol, Morrison makes up most of the team. Seriously Morrison takes the book and goes anywhere he wants and he does it flawlessly.

I can't find the whole page but this is Robotman. He's depressed because he can't be a man anymore. So when you're stuck being a robot and you can't feel anything you go kind of nuts. The thing is that you really feel for him. This is  from Morrison's first issue on Doom Patrol.
I can't find the whole page but this is Robotman. He's depressed because he can't be a man anymore. So when you're stuck being a robot and you can't feel anything you go kind of nuts. The thing is that you really feel for him. This is from Morrison's first issue on Doom Patrol.

Seriously, check it out.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By entropy_aegis

I did his comments on Martian Manhunter very amusing.