So why can't we have a more "feminine" gay male in comics?

• 87 results
poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well more feminine would mean weaker... unless your a women that would be sexist :P... perhaps what you want is a transgender superhero one that's gone from male to female ? they would look like a women but be a man so they would be a more feminine male ?

This is what he want.

No Caption Provided

Supreme Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feelgood said:

Because the supply already exceeds the demand. Comics are not just sold in the U S. In more places than you may think, this would cripple sales. I can even think of countries that would probably outlaw the sales of comics. The inclusion of gays, from an international perspective, is a form of activism as it is not financially rewarding.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feelgood said:

Because the supply already exceeds the demand. Comics are not just sold in the U S. In more places than you may think, this would cripple sales. I can even think of countries that would probably outlaw the sales of comics. The inclusion of gays, from an international perspective, is a form of activism as it is not financially rewarding.

He's not asking for more gays. He's asking why most of the gay characters are masculine or heteronormative instead of more on the feminine, girly side like the ones we see on TV. I disagree though, Bunker is pretty feminine, Wiccan and Shatterstar love for musicals are more on the feminine side.

Supreme Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supreme_cosmic said:
@feelgood said:

He's not asking for more gays. He's asking why most of the gay characters are masculine or heteronormative instead of more on the feminine, girly side like the ones we see on TV. I disagree though, Bunker is pretty feminine, Wiccan and Shatterstar love for musicals are more on the feminine side.

I realized that. I was just letting him no that marvel is already taking a risk by making them gay in the first place. Flashing their homosexuality in the international reader's faces panels after panels is financial suicide. I can, however, see that I did not express that properly

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel the opposite. I like Wiccan and Hulkling, but I feel like they're on the feminine side (and I feel like their relationship is more of a focus than the characters themselves a lot of times). And as a colossus fan, i was excited for ultimate colossus being gay because I love 616 colossus because his personality is very similar to mine, but he's so much more sassy in the ultimate universe and I stopped reading when he was on a mission or something and said "nice boots". It just bothered me so much how they have to make every gay character have one stereotypical trait. I also hate it when female characters do that in comics too though, not that I don't like those comments themselves. It's more that straight make characters get to be all stoic and have cool one liners and stuff but every time they want to show a more feminine character its immediately with something like fashion or being more emotional or musicals, etc. anyways went on a tangent and forgot what I came here for.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@asgardianxeno929: I read more or less everything about young avengers and that was really only the 2013 young avengers series. Wiccans relationship to the Scarlet Witch and Hulklings relationship to Captain Marvel and Skrulls were really more important in pretty much all previous depiction, when not dealing with the threat at hand. That a lot of fans(usually the female variant) haven't gotten that note and decide to think they have stereotypical gay personalities and not permanently showing them kissing is totally discrimination, is a different topic. I really hate the 2013 series, one of the biggest problems was that the writer was completely incapable of seeing past the characters homosexuality.

I recently read an Interview with Melissa Rosenberg about the Jessica Jones Netflix series, when the question was what the challenges of writing a female superhero is and she replied that she doesn't think of her as a female superhero and that the problem is that when minority characters are written writers think of them as these minority characters, a female character, a black character, etc., while its only white male characters that people think of simply as characters. I read an Alan Heinberg interview years ago, where he also stated that he thought of the characters sexuality besides the point when writing the stories, so it seems like screenwriters are somewhat more accustomed to this. Comic writers seem on average really bad at it.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: Yeah that is pretty much my issue with minority characters' characterization. It's a shame really that what makes these characters a minority becomes the main focus of the stories. I'd say that the only way to have these characters portrayed correctly would be to have writers who are also women/gay/different race, but that would prevent great writers who aren't from writing these stories. At the same time, you don't see as many higher profile writers doing these kinds of stories because they might not have experience with the subjects that might be touched on or they might think that they can't relate to the character because of one trait and not try to write them. I don't know for sure, but it's also possible that some writers might not be asked to do these characters because comic companies wouldn't spend money on a high profile writer or a good one and have them work on these less popular characters (unless they ask to and have a plan that would seem to work) which prevents these characters from becoming more well known. We just need a James Gunn of comics to do what he did for guardians with popularity for some of these characters.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There is nothing wrong about it.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with straight writers are often they write characters based on how a character supposed to act. They don't have the experience of a gay person. That is not to say they shouldn't or couldn't write gay characters, but sometimes, there are certain slip-up that make certain actions out of place. Still, gay characters in comics are not often written because the editors demand it (Maybe if the editor is the writer also like with Bendis), but because the writers want to write about gay characters. I'm just glad that writers want to tackle those storyline. I'm happy with the recent high profile characters like Alan Scott, Midnighter, and Iceman. Their mere existence makes for a more inclusive experience for those who enjoy those types of storyline.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because gay feminine characters aren't very interesting in a comic book world. The only really feminine characters out there are the females that use sex appeal such as enchantress and catwoman, but when it comes to fighting they don't fight like a girl, so to speak.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because that shit is a horrible stereotype, not every gay male is a peacock

Loading Video...

and being gay is not racist

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: why would they want gays to act like sassy black women?

that shit is appropriation

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

Loading Video...

But there are gay guys like that, wanting to be called princess and call themselves lady. I personally know several of them. I'm guessing those who are like that want to see more of themselves in comic books but I digress.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

@poeticwarrior: we have one one those, I think they called em Estrano

Please don't remind me of that character, being attacked by an AIDS vampire then become HIV positive. Who comes up with these storyline?

EdBeatle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the only representation of a feminine gay character was when in the silver age of DC the make pink kryptonite and superman was acting like real feminist gay sups saying things like "Oh, Jimmy did I ever tell how great that shoes look on you, you look amazing!"

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now I'm like whatever to the new gay conversions of characters like it ain't my business but I imagine if they ever hit one of my favorited heroes with the gay-Ray I'm going to be so pissed and prob drop the character. At least I know they can't do that to Cyclops or Daredevil :) those fellas can't get enough love from their lady.

Carry on

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right now I'm like whatever to the new gay conversions of characters like it ain't my business but I imagine if they ever hit one of my favorited heroes with the gay-Ray I'm going to be so pissed and prob drop the character. At least I know they can't do that to Cyclops or Daredevil :) those fellas can't get enough love from their lady.

Carry on

Nah, those guys are established heterosexual men; they'll just replace Cyclops and Daredevil with women and have them in a lesbian relationship with each other.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Try reading some Teen Titans, Bunker is extremely fabulous.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide said:

Loading Video...

But there are gay guys like that, wanting to be called princess and call themselves lady. I personally know several of them. I'm guessing those who are like that want to see more of themselves in comic books but I digress.

The age of diversity.

Make Thor gay.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@never_give_up: Actually, there was a poll on here about whether people would have prefered Thor and Hyperion dating over the female Thor, that went pretty much in favor of gay Thor.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gross.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: Actually, there was a poll on here about whether people would have prefered Thor and Hyperion dating over the female Thor, that went pretty much in favor of gay Thor.

LMAO that explains a lot.

Orrazib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's always interesting when a character shows a side that is not all about I'm-an-awesome-superhero. the greater the range of personality characteristics among our heroes, the more likely it is that someone will find it easier to relate to one or more of them. in our day-to-day lives, we vary in the extent to which we share personal details with family, friends, co-workers, and others; and I think the same should be true of the superheroes. for example, I'd really like to see a superhero who is totally butch and powerful say unabashedly that he's a bottom and likes the other person (whether male or female) to take control in sexual situations. on the other hand, I mostly don't need to know from either gay, straight, or bi heroes what they do in bed. just like I don't need (and really don't want) to hear from politicians or other public figures about their sex lives.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bampf

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it seriously matter? Honestly?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Bampf

Why bump this? Just out of curiosity.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@eyedcyou said:

Because that would be seen as stereotyping, and too over the line. That would be the same as having all the street criminals be black, and all the smart characters be Asian.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumpstart55: Seemed like a serious issue.

Trying not to be stereotypical by limiting what a specific type of character can do

Or political Correctness gone too far some would say

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

Because that would be seen as stereotyping, and too over the line. That would be the same as having all the street criminals be black, and all the smart characters be Asian.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan2424:I mean I like plenty of gay characters both male and female, hell my favorite singer is Elton John. But I feel like some of these have to be done in a way that as another user said, isn't stereotypical or handled in a way that doesn't seem like pandering.

I mean look at Midnighter. Hes more alpha male than most straight characters, but hes gay. Or other couples like Moondragon and Phyla, Renee Montoya who wouldn't fit under the womanly lesbian banner. It varies in my experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

B/c they won't sell.

CaptainSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0c8d423f980
deactivated-5a0c8d423f980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So not enough they are gay... They have to be more gay... More stereotypically gay?

I don't get it