So Marvel doesn't care about their teenage heroes.

• 131 results
Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Cafeterialoca

Did you like Avengers Academy? Did you like the Runaways? Cause Marvel doesn't.

No Caption Provided

What better way to say that your fanbase is worthless than rubbing it in your face that they are killing the characters you love?

Bravo Marvel, you're now stooping to DC's level. I hope the book bombs and you all get egg on your face!

TrueMoonchilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TrueMoonchilde

Marvel Presents: Hunger Games: Super Hero Edition.

Marvel: "We ran out of ideas 20 years ago, and have just been stealing other peoples crap since."

Also. If they kill off any character it should be Arcade. That dude is Lame!

Edit: Somewhat amused that the writers name is "Hopeless."

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By RedQueen

Didn't like this idea at all when they announced it. You just know that your favourite character (out of all of them) is going to die. Luckily Marvel didn't include the Young Avengers...that would have been harsh. I mean, considering all the death that has followed them around. (And by a lot of death I mean 2 characters) But still, for a group of 6? 7? that was a lot.

Harryman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Harryman

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By nickthedevil

@Cafeterialoca said:

No Caption Provided

What better way to say that your fanbase is worthless than rubbing it in your face that they are killing the characters you love?

Bravo Marvel, you're now stooping to DC's level. I hope the book bombs and you all get egg on your face!

LOLOL

GreenFuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GreenFuse

To be fair, teenagers are pretty lame.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@GreenFuse Lol. Unless you are one. I'm all for Battle Royale High School Marvel edition, weed out the weak.
Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@GreenFuse: Except the Runaways, Avengers Academy kids and a lto of other are GOOD characters. This is just an insult to those fans. Especially when Marvel puts the same characters in every book.

@WaveMotionCannon: Oh please, if they wanted to weed out the weak, they would have killed Wolverine a long time ago as he's a pointless character.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By rav4

When this thing finally comes out, I plan on abandoning and ignoring all comic news sites (including this one, save for the fan fic section) that could have any information on it (DC, that means you're safe), so I can effectively render this book as never having happened in my own little world. I never want to know anything about it. Not what happens, not who dies (which will pretty much be everyone anyway), anything. Seeing my all time favorite Marvel hero in Nico be thrown to the meat grinder and told that she doesn't matter enough to be used as anything other than death fodder in a throwaway story like this is just absolutely depressing to the umpteenth degree. At least by never learning anything about this sickening, horrendous book, I can effectively retain the knowledge that the Runaways story ended when their book ended, and nothing else ever happened to them.

Marvel is never getting another penny from me.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CrimsonCake

I hope Reptil doesn't die.

RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

@Cafeterialoca:

No Caption Provided

That's kind of harsh. :(

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mk111

@Ravager4 said:

When this thing finally comes out, I plan on abandoning and ignoring all comic news sites (including this one, save for the fan fic section) that could have any information on it (DC, that means you're safe), so I can effectively render this book as never having happened in my own little world. I never want to know anything about it. Not what happens, not who dies (which will pretty much be everyone anyway), anything. Seeing my all time favorite Marvel hero in Nico be thrown to the meat grinder and told that she doesn't matter enough to be used as anything other than death fodder in a throwaway story like this is just absolutely depressing to the umpteenth degree. At least by never learning anything about this sickening, horrendous book, I can effectively retain the knowledge that the Runaways story ended when their book ended, and nothing else ever happened to them.

Wow. You must really hate the idea for this comic.

I myself don't hate the idea, I just don't like how it was conveniantly announced during the Hunger Games hype.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Backflip

Tbf, they're just putting out another Teen Book with Young Avengers :P

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@Backflip said:

Tbf, they're just putting out another Teen Book with Young Avengers :P

Which I'm going to buy. But I'm very mad at Marvel for putting some of my favorites in this garbage meatgrinder.

@Ravager4 said:

I would recommend FF, Young Avengers and Fearless Defenders as books that you should support, but yeah, I completely understand.

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

That's kind of harsh. :(

I'm sorry, but when Teen Titans pushed the "Another Titan dies", I thought comic companies would learn that's not a good selling strategy. But then Marvel pulls this bullcrap.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rav4

@Cafeterialoca said:

I would recommend FF, Young Avengers and Fearless Defenders as books that you should support, but yeah, I completely understand.

I won't support those books because that would be supporting Marvel, a company that's telling me that its teen characters are nothing but fodder to be killed off for cheap thrills, that if the character's not a part of the X-Men or Avengers, they're worthless, and by extension the fans of those characters, too.

@mk111 said:

Wow. You must really hate the idea for this comic.

Oh, I loathe this more than you can ever know. It is absolutely sickening to think that they couldn't think of anything else to do with these characters than have them murder each other for kicks. These are teens, mind you, teen HEROES, yet here they're being made to kill other teen heroes for no other reason than to make a villain nobody cares about look cool. It's a disgrace.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@Ravager4: Oh, I understand perfectly. But here's the thing, Marvel is not a hivemind. Kieron Gillen with the Young Avengers is promoting something very optimistic and embracing the teenage years of life in Young Avengers. You're not going to get people to stop being interested in Thor, Cap, or the Avengers, BUT, you can support the writers who have a different mindset and are writing some really great things their hearts are into. Let Arena fail, but let these other books that are taking chances succeed.

Again, FF, Young Avengers and Fearless Defenders. All these books are risks Marvel is taking. If you buy those books instead, you can tell Marvel "Hey, I don't want your meatgrinder crap. Instead, I support these books that are more optimistic in tone and are supporting lesser known characters."

You can't take down Marvel, but you can change the way they think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point Marvel is nearing the point of being creatively bankrupt. They survive by pimping the same X-Men and Avengers related characters across a zillion titles and anything unrelated is destined for cancellation. Recycling characters and endless events are the sales ploys they play to try to win the numbers game. How many new IP's have they developed in the past 20 years?

They have wasted all these characters so far, now they want to squeeze the last few bucks out of them before they toss the majority of them into comic limbo or toss the dirt on their graves. I'm nearing the point of abandoning Marvel entirely, maybe I should give the new 52 a better look.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rav4

@Cafeterialoca: But how can I in good conscience decide to go read other Marvel books and get attached to other characters (for the record, most of my favorite characters are those same kind of side/B-list and under characters that are being thrown into the meatgrinder here), when they could just all be discarded without a second thought, too, because they're not as important as Marvel's cash cows? I won't do that, I won't set myself up for that again. With a limited budget as is, I'll stick with DC, where, so far, that hasn't happened to me.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#19  Edited By MatKrenz

As much as this idea is extremely tentative in my mind cause I don't wanna see any of the Runaways die in this I will say one thing.

I hope Hazmat dies, she was a jerk in AA.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@MatKrenz said:

As much as this idea is extremely tentative in my mind cause I don't wanna see any of the Runaways die in this I will say one thing.

I hope Hazmat dies, she was a jerk in AA.

Hazmat was not a jerk. She became one of the most likable and sympathetic characters of the book. I don't know if you stopped reading it, but she becomes a great character. Issue 10.

@Ravager4 said:

@Cafeterialoca: But how can I in good conscience decide to go read other Marvel books and get attached to other characters (for the record, most of my favorite characters are those same kind of side/B-list and under characters that are being thrown into the meatgrinder here), when they could just all be discarded without a second thought, too, because they're not as important as Marvel's cash cows? I won't do that, I won't set myself up for that again. With a limited budget as is, I'll stick with DC, where, so far, that hasn't happened to me.

DC has done that with Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain. Neither company is free of this guilt.

All I can say is try getting support for these lesser books, and hopefully they will have long and good runs.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MatKrenz

@Cafeterialoca: Issue 10 was so rushed and crammed fill with other plots I didn't care about her story with Leech all that much.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@Cafeterialoca: Wolverine > your favorite super hero

jus kids

buttah you do know that Wolverine Sells... A LOT. right?

(+)

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@MatKrenz said:

@Cafeterialoca: Issue 10 was so rushed and crammed fill with other plots I didn't care about her story with Leech all that much.

Still, I think Hazmat is a much better credit than you're giving her credit for. She almost sacrificed her life and then sacrificed her happiness for her friends.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MatKrenz

@Cafeterialoca: But then you have stuff like in the story arc following Fear Itself where she is a bitch to Julie Power and for some reason having a problem with he being a girly girl and all the good faith just goes away.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@Yung ANcient One said:

@Cafeterialoca: Wolverine > your favorite super hero

jus kids

buttah you do know that Wolverine Sells... A LOT. right?

(+)

To be honest? I think Wolverine could face a decline in popularity soon. He's in so many books that his character can't evolve, and it seems like they are running out of things for him to do. How long can a character who just stabs people stay popular for?

@MatKrenz said:

@Cafeterialoca: But then you have stuff like in the story arc following Fear Itself where she is a bitch to Julie Power and for some reason having a problem with he being a girly girl and all the good faith just goes away.

It was more that Julie Power is so bouncy and happy compared to her cynical nature, and of course she feels intimidated by someone new joining the team.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rav4

@Cafeterialoca said:

DC has done that with Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain. Neither company is free of this guilt.

I didn't realize Steph and Cass were brought back and thrown into a book just to be killed off, while DC was promoting them murdering each other as the main attraction.

My point, I'd much rather have Nico and any other of my favorite characters remain in limbo forever than to be brought out of limbo for the express purpose of being put in such a despicable book to be killed off because she and the other characters in the book just don't matter. It puts such a horrible taste in my mouth that I want to eat a bar of soap to get it out.

Miss_America

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Miss_America

Noooo, Nico! :(

If only we could sponsor our favorites like in the actual Hunger Games!

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@Cafeterialoca: I sincerely doubt he'll lose his popularity any time soon. I know a bunch of Wolvie fans that Honestly dont give 2 $#!%$ about anything relating to the character except he stabs people with 3 metal claws. plus heals super fast.

(+)

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Cafeterialoca said:

To be honest? I think Wolverine could face a decline in popularity soon. He's in so many books that his character can't evolve, and it seems like they are running out of things for him to do. How long can a character who just stabs people stay popular for?

Marvel doesn't have to worry about character development. Gimmicks are working just fine. Also Wolverine doesn't just stab people..there is ALOT more to his character than that and I also disagree that they are running out of things for him to do. As someone who reads his solo I can say it's been solid since Vol.1, I can also say that although he's on many teams..he doesn't do much on those teams. They can't run out of things to do with him when he's not actually doing anything. He was a New Avenger for quite some time, I can count on my fingers the times he's actually mattered in an issue.
MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MatKrenz

@Cafeterialoca: Still I couldn't ever get into her character and I've recently been mulling over my AA back issues and really not liking a lot about that series, it's really badly written and always felt the need to rush a bunch of it's plots without any kind of meaty development. Which after reading Gage on Angel & Faith I gotta wonder how one writer can have such a large gap in quality between these two titles.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@Ravager4 said:

I didn't realize Steph and Cass were brought back and thrown into a book just to be killed off, while DC was promoting them murdering each other as the main attraction.

My point, I'd much rather have Nico and any other of my favorite characters remain in limbo forever than to be brought out of limbo for the express purpose of being put in such a despicable book to be killed off because she and the other characters in the book just don't matter. It puts such a horrible taste in my mouth that I want to eat a bar of soap to get it out.

DC actually did this type of story. It was called Terror Titans and the Culling.

And I absolutely agree. The concept still makes me sick that Marvel thinks that people will get their kicks from characters they love dying. I mean, who are these people saying there's too many teenagers? If anything, there's too many X-Force type books!

@Miss_America said:

Noooo, Nico! :(

If only we could sponsor our favorites like in the actual Hunger Games!

Or how about SHUTTING DOWN THE HUNGER GAMES TO BEGIN WITH.

@Yung ANcient One said:

@Cafeterialoca: I sincerely doubt he'll lose his popularity any time soon. I know a bunch of Wolvie fans that Honestly dont give 2 $#!%$ about anything relating to the character except he stabs people with 3 metal claws. plus heals super fast.

(+)

And you really don't think that won't get old? In fact, do those people read the comics with him, or just are fans who like him in other mediums?

@Vance Astro said:

Marvel doesn't have to worry about character development. Gimmicks are working just fine. Also Wolverine doesn't just stab people..there is ALOT more to his character than that and I also disagree that they are running out of things for him to do. As someone who reads his solo I can say it's been solid since Vol.1, I can also say that although he's on many teams..he doesn't do much on those teams. They can't run out of things to do with him when he's not actually doing anything. He was a New Avenger for quite some time, I can count on my fingers the times he's actually mattered in an issue.

But don't you think putting too much exposure on him will start to wan his popularity? When one of his ongoings is just him in the Savage Lands as well as being in the Savage Lands in WatXM, that sounds like they are running thin on ideas for him.

@MatKrenz said:

@Cafeterialoca: Still I couldn't ever get into her character and I've recently been mulling over my AA back issues and really not liking a lot about that series, it's really badly written and always felt the need to rush a bunch of it's plots without any kind of meaty development. Which after reading Gage on Angel & Faith I gotta wonder how one writer can have such a large gap in quality between these two titles.

Maybe he started to feel down that they were going to put his characters in this Arena book...

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rav4

@Cafeterialoca said:

DC actually did this type of story. It was called Terror Titans and the Culling.

Difference being, nobody actually died (except a couple throwaway characters that were introduced for the sole purpose of being fodder), nor was it being promoted as "watch you favorite teen characters DIE!" For all that story's problems, I'll at least give it credit for having the characters do the only sensible thing and actually work together to fight against the villain, instead of going along with the whole thing and killing each other.

Edit: was speaking of the Culling there. Terror Titans had a few deaths, but at least all the deaths (that I can remember) were the actual VILLAINS.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Matchstick

I don't care what anyone says I can't wait for this series. Some of my favorite characters are going to be in this book and the fact that they could die doesn't bother me one bit. I'd much rather read a series where the characters are in real danger of dying than more of the same boring stories where they face off against some random villian and there is no real danger to anyone. As much as I love the teen heroes at Marvel, for the most part there stories don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Sure they can be great stories, but when's the last time anything of consequence happened.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Cafeterialoca said:

But don't you think putting too much exposure on him will start to wan his popularity? When one of his ongoings is just him in the Savage Lands as well as being in the Savage Lands in WatXM, that sounds like they are running thin on ideas for him.

It should but I wouldn't put m money on it. They've been going hard with the over-exposure for quite some time now.
Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@Ravager4 said:

Difference being, nobody actually died (except a couple throwaway characters that were introduced for the sole purpose of being fodder), nor was it being promoted as "watch you favorite teen characters DIE!" For all that story's problems, I'll at least give it credit for having the characters do the only sensible thing and actually work together to fight against the villain, instead of going along with the whole thing and killing each other.

Edit: was speaking of the Culling there. Terror Titans had a few deaths, but at least all the deaths (that I can remember) were the actual VILLAINS.

Still, they killed Artemis in her DC comic debut. That was pretty bad. And not to forget how many teen titans got killed every event and in their own book.

Still, I'm very mad at Marvel for doing this.

@Matchstick said:

I don't care what anyone says I can't wait for this series. Some of my favorite characters are going to be in this book and the fact that they could die doesn't bother me one bit. I'd much rather read a series where the characters are in real danger of dying than more of the same boring stories where they face off against some random villian and there is no real danger to anyone. As much as I love the teen heroes at Marvel, for the most part there stories don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Sure they can be great stories, but when's the last time anything of consequence happened.

Are you serious?! For lesser known characters, every story could be their last! Why glorify it?!

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Matchstick

@Cafeterialoca said:

@Matchstick said:

Are you serious?! For lesser known characters, every story could be their last! Why glorify it?!

Why glorify it? Are you sure you know what glorify means? If any of these characters die I sure hope it's a glorious death worthy of admiration and praise. There is really nothing to worry about with this series. Here's why: 1)It's just a solicit right now, all we have to go on is hype. Know one knows yet what's gonig to happen; 2)This is Arcade we are talking about. The guy is a jobber, he hasn't beaten anyone. Ever. 3)Sure some of them may die, but that just means character development for the surviving characters. 4) It's comics, death is pretty meaningless. Even C&D listers come back to live.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By SoA

@GreenFuse said:

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

... so Marvel is ripping off the Hunger Games?

Got it.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@Matchstick said:

Why glorify it? Are you sure you know what glorify means? If any of these characters die I sure hope it's a glorious death worthy of admiration and praise. There is really nothing to worry about with this series. Here's why: 1)It's just a solicit right now, all we have to go on is hype. Know one knows yet what's gonig to happen; 2)This is Arcade we are talking about. The guy is a jobber, he hasn't beaten anyone. Ever. 3)Sure some of them may die, but that just means character development for the surviving characters. 4) It's comics, death is pretty meaningless. Even C&D listers come back to live.

It sounds like they want to excite people for dead kids! I mean, they don't crossover into the bigger books, so who the hell is asking for them to die?!

and 1) The writer says there's going to be a ton of death constantly!

2) The writer says he wants Arcade to be a big shot (So I'm guessing the Joker knockoff now)

3) Will I be happy with the survivors?! Or will it be the same archetypes we see everywhere! I bet we'll get a smart ass guy who spouts out quips all the time. Cause we so need another one of those. *Rolling my eyes.)

4) DEATH IS NOT MEANINGLESS TO CHARACTERS THIS NEW!

Every new piece of information coming for this book is saying that it's Marvel killing off characters so that people will focus on their overexposed characters more!

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@SoA said:

@GreenFuse said:

Funny coming from someone with a Broo Icon.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By SoA

@Cafeterialoca: WatX fan and im supporting the little guy (easily my favorites out of the series not counting staff), to be helpful i guess for the thread; i liked the runaways and found their disappearance very strange , sure they popped in once in a while for a quick cameo or guest appearance but i find it weird nothing was done more with them , i wasn't really into avengers academy until the recent arc/finale . if this battle royale/hunger games event upsets you, you can at least look forward to that young avengers title coming out (another team that just went away for no reason )

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Matchstick

@Cafeterialoca said:

@Matchstick said:

It sounds like they want to excite people for dead kids! I mean, they don't crossover into the bigger books, so who the hell is asking for them to die?!

and 1) The writer says there's going to be a ton of death constantly!

2) The writer says he wants Arcade to be a big shot (So I'm guessing the Joker knockoff now)

3) Will I be happy with the survivors?! Or will it be the same archetypes we see everywhere! I bet we'll get a smart ass guy who spouts out quips all the time. Cause we so need another one of those. *Rolling my eyes.)

4) DEATH IS NOT MEANINGLESS TO CHARACTERS THIS NEW!

Every new piece of information coming for this book is saying that it's Marvel killing off characters so that people will focus on their overexposed characters more!

1) True, but writers say things all the time that turn out to not be true. Plus who's to say who ends up getting killed, I highly doubt it'll be any of the fan favorites. There are so many teenage heroes with little to no following, they will be the likely targets.

2)It wouldn't be like Joker, more like the guy from Saw. Just because the writer wants him to be a big shot doesn't mean they are going to slaughter a bunch of fan favorite characters to do it. Arcade is a D-list villian, they aren't going to kill off their up and coming heroes just to give him a boost. It'll be the no bodies that have been around forever and haven't done anything. My guess is we'll only see one death from the Avengers Academy and it'll be someone like Veil or Striker.

3)Not sure what you're trying to say here. What I'm saying is that say Hazmat survives, but she's almost killed by X-23 and ends up being forced to kill someone before the end of it. That is some serious trauma to deal with, and that kind of trauma can lead to fantastic character development. Personally I want my heroes to go through ordeals, it' leads to more interesting characters. What sounds like a more interesting character A) someone with superpowers that fights villians on a super team and occasionally has dating issues. or B) someone with superpowers that fights vilians and has been forced to defend herself against fellow heros, is haunted by the fact that she had to kill some of them, and has to find a way to live with herself and continue on with her life after it's over. I don't want my heroes safe and sound, there should be real danger, real trauma, real issues for them to struggle with. Otherwise it's just a super hero dating drama.

4)Not all these characters are that new. Some of them have been around for decades. Death isn't meaningless, it's just not permanent in 90% of cases. I don't know why you are assuming they are doing this to bring focus to there main heroes, that wouldn't make any sense. Killing off these types of characters wouldn't make anyone want to read the more established heroes. I think it's more a case of them wanting to thin the heard. There are a LOT of teen heroes floating around.

You keep forcusing on the death aspect of the series, and that's not really what it's about. It's about the mind set of these teens being put into such a horrible situation and how they get through it. It's not about death, it's about survival.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By tg1982

@Cafeterialoca said:

No Caption Provided

To be fair, it doesn't say anyone will die. It's just saying Arcade is forcing them to fight to the death. Villians have always tried forcing heroes to do stuff since day one, issue one, hero one. And it never works.

What's gonna happen is they're going to "kill" a character and judge the hate mail. One by one they will see who are the most popular ones then at the end of the "series" they will pop up and explain it as "we tricked you into thinking we were dead, haha dumba**" and then proceed to kick Arcade's lame D-bag a**. Then the popular ones will form a team and that will be the new ongoing.

Unfortunately when I'm inevitably proven wrong I'll just hope that Hazmat, Mettle, and X-23 (She probably will) live.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By moywar700

After Avengers Arena, the teenagers in refrigerators tropes was invented.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@SoA said:

@Cafeterialoca: WatX fan and im supporting the little guy (easily my favorites out of the series not counting staff), to be helpful i guess for the thread; i liked the runaways and found their disappearance very strange , sure they popped in once in a while for a quick cameo or guest appearance but i find it weird nothing was done more with them , i wasn't really into avengers academy until the recent arc/finale . if this battle royale/hunger games event upsets you, you can at least look forward to that young avengers title coming out (another team that just went away for no reason )

Well, mainly cause the writer of Young Avengers went off to write Grey's Anatomy. But yeah, I'm excited for it. (Even thought they killed off my favorite YA member.)

@Matchstick said:

1) True, but writers say things all the time that turn out to not be true. Plus who's to say who ends up getting killed, I highly doubt it'll be any of the fan favorites. There are so many teenage heroes with little to no following, they will be the likely targets.

2)It wouldn't be like Joker, more like the guy from Saw. Just because the writer wants him to be a big shot doesn't mean they are going to slaughter a bunch of fan favorite characters to do it. Arcade is a D-list villian, they aren't going to kill off their up and coming heroes just to give him a boost. It'll be the no bodies that have been around forever and haven't done anything. My guess is we'll only see one death from the Avengers Academy and it'll be someone like Veil or Striker.

3)Not sure what you're trying to say here. What I'm saying is that say Hazmat survives, but she's almost killed by X-23 and ends up being forced to kill someone before the end of it. That is some serious trauma to deal with, and that kind of trauma can lead to fantastic character development. Personally I want my heroes to go through ordeals, it' leads to more interesting characters. What sounds like a more interesting character A) someone with superpowers that fights villians on a super team and occasionally has dating issues. or B) someone with superpowers that fights vilians and has been forced to defend herself against fellow heros, is haunted by the fact that she had to kill some of them, and has to find a way to live with herself and continue on with her life after it's over. I don't want my heroes safe and sound, there should be real danger, real trauma, real issues for them to struggle with. Otherwise it's just a super hero dating drama.

4)Not all these characters are that new. Some of them have been around for decades. Death isn't meaningless, it's just not permanent in 90% of cases. I don't know why you are assuming they are doing this to bring focus to there main heroes, that wouldn't make any sense. Killing off these types of characters wouldn't make anyone want to read the more established heroes. I think it's more a case of them wanting to thin the heard. There are a LOT of teen heroes floating around.

You keep forcusing on the death aspect of the series, and that's not really what it's about. It's about the mind set of these teens being put into such a horrible situation and how they get through it. It's not about death, it's about survival.

1) Once again, the writer stresses very heavily "character will die in this book." I think one interview said at least 10 of the characters will, but that might just be internet telephone. That's just a very scary premise.

2) Veil and Striker aren't in the book. Only Hazmat, Mettle, Reptil, X-23 and Juston with his Sentinel are the only Academy kids. The fact that this writer wanted all the Runaways in this book was disturbing enough, especially since he stated "I turned off the part of my brain that cares about the well being of these characters." And from this excerpt, they want people to root for Arcade!

3) I doubt Hazmat can survive. The preview pages haver her stomach stabbed and then her arms impailed. I would be surprised if they kill Hazmat for the sole reason of making Mettle a bitter and angry character. And why do you want grieving and shell shock heroes? There's a reason I've been avoiding books like X-Force, and this sounds like they want a team of teenagers like X-Force!

4) Only Darkhawk. Every other character was made last decade and are pretty recent characters. And judging by the blurb? They want to kill off these characters so they can say "Now go read Guardians of the Galaxy instead! They have a movie coming out! We didn't care about these teenagers anyways."

And how can I not focus on death when Marvel proudly boasts how much they will kill kids!

@tg1982 said:

To be fair, it doesn't say anyone will die. It's just saying Arcade is forcing them to fight to the death. Villians have always tried forcing heroes to do stuff since day one, issue one, hero one. And it never works.

What's gonna happen is they're going to "kill" a character and judge the hate mail. One by one they will see who are the most popular ones then at the end of the "series" they will pop up and explain it as "we tricked you into thinking we were dead, haha dumba**" and then proceed to kick Arcade's lame D-bag a**. Then the popular ones will form a team and that will be the new ongoing.

Unfortunately when I'm inevitably proven wrong I'll just hope that Hazmat, Mettle, and X-23 (She probably will) live.

Except this writer promises a lot of death. Issue 2's solicit says "Someone dies." Marvel proudly says people will die.

And I hope Mettle and Hazmat will survive, but I see them pulling the "Dead girlfriend" trick to make Mettle "serious". This book just seems like a very mean spirited way to just whip out characters and make them something they aren't. And of course X-23 will live, but then that would put X-23 back at square one. Notice how X-23's story seems to be kill someone, feel bad, leave friends, find new friends, becomes happy, then she kills someone and leaves again? This is just starting that over.

God, this book is just getting to me.

@moywar700 said:

After Avengers Arena, the teenagers in refrigerators tropes was invented.

Teen Titans and New X-Men. That sort of trope already existed. And I doubt they will affect much beyond this book, so they're just killing them and then telling you "They didn't matter."

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Matchstick

@Cafeterialoca said:

@SoA said:

Well, mainly cause the writer of Young Avengers went off to write Grey's Anatomy. But yeah, I'm excited for it. (Even thought they killed off my favorite YA member.)

@Matchstick said:

1) Once again, the writer stresses very heavily "character will die in this book." I think one interview said at least 10 of the characters will, but that might just be internet telephone. That's just a very scary premise.

2) Veil and Striker aren't in the book. Only Hazmat, Mettle, Reptil, X-23 and Juston with his Sentinel are the only Academy kids. The fact that this writer wanted all the Runaways in this book was disturbing enough, especially since he stated "I turned off the part of my brain that cares about the well being of these characters." And from this excerpt, they want people to root for Arcade!

3) I doubt Hazmat can survive. The preview pages haver her stomach stabbed and then her arms impailed. I would be surprised if they kill Hazmat for the sole reason of making Mettle a bitter and angry character. And why do you want grieving and shell shock heroes? There's a reason I've been avoiding books like X-Force, and this sounds like they want a team of teenagers like X-Force!

4) Only Darkhawk. Every other character was made last decade and are pretty recent characters. And judging by the blurb? They want to kill off these characters so they can say "Now go read Guardians of the Galaxy instead! They have a movie coming out! We didn't care about these teenagers anyways."

And how can I not focus on death when Marvel proudly boasts how much they will kill kids!

1)Once again, just because a writer says it doesn't mean that's how the book is going to turn out. There have been many instances were writer statements turn out to be either gross exaggerations, or just flat out false. Like I said earlier, you don't know who's going to die. There are a bunch of new characters in this title and a bunch of old obscure ones. Plenty of cannon fodder. Plus jsut because they say characters are going to die, doesn't mean they are talking about the teen heroes. It could be anyone in the title. Supporting characters, minor villians, Arcade himself. You can only guess at this point, so why worry.

2)Saying they want people to root for Arcade is your interpretation. The writer also said he 'wants everyone to be Katniss' 'wants to give every character a chance to shine' and 'even characters that leave the book early will leave their mark on the story' Bottom line is they are not just throwing them into a meat grinder, it's a well planned and thought out story with depth. Don't try to cheapen it before you've read it. It could be a great read, you don't know.

3)So you doubt Hazmat will survive, yet you'd be surprised if they kill her? You might want to reword that. Also, just because they show Hazmat injured means nothing. Injuries happen in fights, a fight that leaves everyone unscathed is a boring fight. Just because these characters are going through this event doesn't mean they are trying to make a teen X-Force. The whole point of the book is that these kids are NOT like X-Force. Better question, why don't you want your heroes to go through traumatic events? Without the risk of death what's the point of battles? The whole point of stories is that the characters come out of them changed. If there is no risk to the characters and there is no trauma for them to overcome, what's the point? Without risk of death and without traumatic events there is nothing left to drive character development but romance and interpersonal drama. That has it's place, but it can't be all there is. I might as well go read Archie if that's what I was looking for. Bottom line is for good stories to happen, things have to be shaken up.

4) You don't know that. Unless I missed something the entire cast hasn't been announced yet. Why do you keep assuming they are trying to funnel readers into other titles? Do you have anything to back this up, or is this just an assumption on your part?

First off they are fiction characters so getting outraged about teen characters dying is a bit over dramatic. It's not like they are sending a bunch of 4 year olds to get slaughtered. They are young adults ..not even that, young heroes that willing put there lives at risk in their respective series. You keep talking about it like it's solely a story about killing, when it's actually a story about survival and character mindsets.

Honestly though we can talk till we're blue in the face and not get anywhere. You're jumping to conclusions based on minimal evidence. You can sit and assume the worse all you want but the fact is you don't know anything about how the story will turn out or what will happen. It could be the greatest comic in the world, or it could be the worst. Fact is until it comes out and we see what happens we can only guess. Why stress yourself out about it and assume the worst.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MatKrenz

@Cafeterialoca: I stopped reading AA at the time when the Runaways guess stared and up until that point a lot of the plots seemed extremely rushed to me. And I don't think they started production of Arena until the middle or end of AVX.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@Matchstick said:

1)Once again, just because a writer says it doesn't mean that's how the book is going to turn out. There have been many instances were writer statements turn out to be either gross exaggerations, or just flat out false. Like I said earlier, you don't know who's going to die. There are a bunch of new characters in this title and a bunch of old obscure ones. Plenty of cannon fodder. Plus jsut because they say characters are going to die, doesn't mean they are talking about the teen heroes. It could be anyone in the title. Supporting characters, minor villians, Arcade himself. You can only guess at this point, so why worry.

2)Saying they want people to root for Arcade is your interpretation. The writer also said he 'wants everyone to be Katniss' 'wants to give every character a chance to shine' and 'even characters that leave the book early will leave their mark on the story' Bottom line is they are not just throwing them into a meat grinder, it's a well planned and thought out story with depth. Don't try to cheapen it before you've read it. It could be a great read, you don't know.

3)So you doubt Hazmat will survive, yet you'd be surprised if they kill her? You might want to reword that. Also, just because they show Hazmat injured means nothing. Injuries happen in fights, a fight that leaves everyone unscathed is a boring fight. Just because these characters are going through this event doesn't mean they are trying to make a teen X-Force. The whole point of the book is that these kids are NOT like X-Force. Better question, why don't you want your heroes to go through traumatic events? Without the risk of death what's the point of battles? The whole point of stories is that the characters come out of them changed. If there is no risk to the characters and there is no trauma for them to overcome, what's the point? Without risk of death and without traumatic events there is nothing left to drive character development but romance and interpersonal drama. That has it's place, but it can't be all there is. I might as well go read Archie if that's what I was looking for. Bottom line is for good stories to happen, things have to be shaken up.

4) You don't know that. Unless I missed something the entire cast hasn't been announced yet. Why do you keep assuming they are trying to funnel readers into other titles? Do you have anything to back this up, or is this just an assumption on your part?

First off they are fiction characters so getting outraged about teen characters dying is a bit over dramatic. It's not like they are sending a bunch of 4 year olds to get slaughtered. They are young adults ..not even that, young heroes that willing put there lives at risk in their respective series. You keep talking about it like it's solely a story about killing, when it's actually a story about survival and character mindsets.

Honestly though we can talk till we're blue in the face and not get anywhere. You're jumping to conclusions based on minimal evidence. You can sit and assume the worse all you want but the fact is you don't know anything about how the story will turn out or what will happen. It could be the greatest comic in the world, or it could be the worst. Fact is until it comes out and we see what happens we can only guess. Why stress yourself out about it and assume the worst.

1) They clearly say "Watch teenagers die!" That's how they're marketing the book! Why shouldn't I think that? And there are no more characters besides the kids alone!

2) All I'm seeing is "Watch teenagers die" gives me the idea they want Arcade to win.

3) I said I wouldn't be surprised, and the thing is, this is beyond traumatic. These kids will be permanently changed and will lose what made them special. This won't evolve them, this will make more punishers! This will make them just any other killing team now!

4) The cast is announced. Mettle, Hazmat, Reptil, X-23, Juston and his Sentinel (Very dead), Nico, Chase, Cammi, Darkhawk, and then new characters for the rest.

And really, why shouldn't I think it's about killing? Every piece of promotion for it is saying what a bloodbath it will be! It goes back to "The only way we know what to do with characters is to kill other characters and make them sad!"

And really, this is all that I fear about the book:

Hastny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hastny

@Cafeterialoca said:

@MatKrenz said:

I hope Hazmat dies, she was cunt in AA.

Hazmat was not a c****. She became one of the most likable and sympathetic characters of the book. I don't know if you stopped reading it, but she becomes a great character. Issue 10.

@Ravager4 said:

DC has done that withStephanie BrownandCassandra Cain. Neither company is free of this guilt.

All I can say is try getting support for these lesser books, and hopefully they will have long and good runs.

Ouch! Don't remind me. I'm still in mourning here.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@MatKrenz said:

@Cafeterialoca: I stopped reading AA at the time when the Runaways guess stared and up until that point a lot of the plots seemed extremely rushed to me. And I don't think they started production of Arena until the middle or end of AVX.

Comics are planned in advance.

@Hastny said:

@Cafeterialoca said:

@MatKrenz said:

I hope Hazmat dies, she was cunt in AA.

Hazmat was not a c****. She became one of the most likable and sympathetic characters of the book. I don't know if you stopped reading it, but she becomes a great character. Issue 10.

@Ravager4 said:

DC has done that withStephanie BrownandCassandra Cain. Neither company is free of this guilt.

Ouch! Don't remind me. I'm still in mourning here.

So you see what I'm getting at.