So I wanna read some Avengers comics?

DustinFun1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DustinFun1704

I would like to read some more Avengers comics. I've read quite a few over the years including The Avenger: Heroic Age, and every issue since then and Avengers Dissembled. What story arcs would be a good read for some Avengers action? This movie has made me want to read the Avengers more and more!

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Read the Ultimates?

DustinFun1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DustinFun1704
Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Or35ti

The Ultimates is amazing! I'd totally recommend the Ultimate Collection version; it's really good :)

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Deranged Midget
  • Civil War
  • New Avengers (Breakout)
  • Avengers/Defenders: War
  • Avengers Forever
  • Korvac Saga
  • Red Zone
  • Ultron Unlimited
  • Kree/Skrull War
  • The Kang Dynasty.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

@DustinFun1704: The Ultimates and Civil War by Mark Millar. You won't be disappointed.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@JediXMan said:

Read the Ultimates 1 and 2.

Don't even bother with 3. Just don't.

This pretty much.  

After that, you can skip everything else for the most part, and jump into Hickman's more recent run on the series.
DustinFun1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DustinFun1704

@Gambit1024: @JediXMan: @Or35ti: I'm really excited about The Ultimates, and I have been meaning to read Civil War. @Deranged Midget: I appreciate the long list!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@DustinFun1704 said:

@Gambit1024: @JediXMan: @Or35ti: I'm really excited about The Ultimates, and I have been meaning to read Civil War.

Ultimates is... amazing. Just amazing.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

@JediXMan said:

@DustinFun1704 said:

@Gambit1024: @JediXMan: @Or35ti: I'm really excited about The Ultimates, and I have been meaning to read Civil War.

Ultimates is... amazing. Just amazing.

It really is. Everything from the beginning to the Chitauri is damn near excellent (with, of course the depiction of Hank Pym, but this isn't 616, so I'll let that one slide).

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Deranged Midget

@DustinFun1704: No problem.

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By blur1528

@DustinFun1704: I was gonna say something... but the bases look covered :) Enjoy all those books. I did. The free issue they gave out on Saturday was pretty sweet. I'm excited to see the Age of Ultron.

DustinFun1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DustinFun1704

@Gambit1024: @JediXMan: I'm so excited. I'm gonna go try to find them soon. How different is The Ultimates from the the 616 universe?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

@DustinFun1704: Let's see:

• The Ultimates were collected by SHIELD, much like they were in the movie.
  • Captain America's an actual soldier that will do whatever it takes to get the job done. Killing included. Has one of the best lines in the second volume.
  • Iron Man and Wasp are kind of similar I guess. The Iron Man armor's different-looking.
  • Thor appears to be much more delusional than his 616 counterpart.
  • Hank Pym's a loser. Which he totally is not in 616.
  • Ultimate Hawkeye >>>>>>>>>>>>> 616 Hawkeye
  • Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury.
  • Hulk's grey and he's easily distracted by boobies.
  • Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are..... creepy.
Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@Or35ti said:

The Ultimates is amazing! I'd totally recommend the Ultimate Collection version; it's really good :)

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By evilvegeta74

@DustinFun1704: Well you could start by looking up the Avengers under-(marvel comics database wiki- Avengers), and pick and choose what events you're interested in. Next I would look up those issues or events on ebay or a local comic dealer and purchase the issues of your choice. Personally you may come out cheaper on ebay since they bid on some products starting at .99 cents. I do it all the time and it save me a lot of money.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@DustinFun1704 said:

@Gambit1024: @JediXMan: I'm so excited. I'm gonna go try to find them soon. How different is The Ultimates from the the 616 universe?

Everyone is more badass.

... basically. At least Cap and Hawkeye are.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By evilvegeta74

@DustinFun1704: I'm not trying to go against the majority of the guys here, they seem to be sold on the ultimate universeavengers instead of the main stream version of the Avengers (616). Personally if you're gonna find out about the true nature of the characteers of the avenger I'd say it's best to go with the mainstream 616 universe.I don't think it's fair to start you off reading a spin-off (ultimate Avengers) of the main stream 616 avengers. The in the Ultimate Universe are spin -offs, such as Thor from 616 vs the Ultimate Thor you will see there is a huge difference, between the two power wise mental state and all, I strongly urge you to cfheck out the 616 version as there is more history and you will be able to distinguish the two Avengers groups. And as far as the movie goes it is actually a mixture of both universes in a sense. Just compare the ultimae hulk to the 616 hulk, to the movie hulk and you tell me! Just to give you another heads up you notice they didn't call the movie Ultimate Avengers! Deranged midget gave you some great (616) arcs to read about. The Ultimate Universe just really don't compare at all to (616). Just my opinion but do the research and compare.

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DustinFun1704: Well besides the obvious (the Ultimates) I would recommend New Avengers #48-60 (the Dark Reign period). If you're feeling experimental, then I would also recommend Dark Avengers. These two teams aren't your typical typecast heroes that you see in the movie, but their team dynamic will make for an entertaining read; that I can guarantee.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By evilvegeta74

@JediXMan: Seriously you can't possibly believe that the Ultimate Thor is better Than the mainstream 616 version, and the Ultimate hulk because he eats people is more powerful than the 616 version/mainstream Hulk! Quit playing, there is a reason that Ultimates are spin-offs/ different takes. No disrespect but 616 and the ultimate universe is the equivelant of having an 8 cylinder Camaro and a 6 cylinder Camaro. In other words you own one but what good is it unless you have the total package!

DustinFun1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DustinFun1704

@evilvegeta74: Thanks! Yeah I was looking more into the 616 universe when I asked the question, but they really got me interested in the Ultimates, so I'm gonna read both. I appreciate the information. I was thinking about maybe reading Secret Invasion. What story lines incorporate Thanos, Ultron, or Kang? I'm really interested in those characters. I've known about Thanos but I've never read a comic with him in it.

DustinFun1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DustinFun1704

@royale_with_cheese: Nice. I like that period, plus I've read the Dark Avengers, and you have great taste! The story line was pretty amazing in my opinion, plus I loved the art.

Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DustinFun1704: Thanks. I would advise against reading Secret Invasion as it felt rather underwhelming to be considered an event. The whole point of it was in the tagline. I.e. "Who can you trust?", which already had been covered prior to the main story (after Electra was revealed to be a skrull). All in all, if you want to see Skrulls vs Heroes then that is all that you will get out of Secret Invasion (the core series). If however, you want to learn some history about the skrulls and their premeditated plans to make earth their new crown planet, then I recommend you read New Avengers #40 (it's quite ingenious). Additionally I also suggest you read the limited series New Avengers: Illuminati in tangent with New Avengers #40. As for what story lines incorporate Thanos? Besides the Infinity Gauntlet arc, some recent (and decent) examples would be:

• Annihilation
  • The Thanos Imperative
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@DustinFun1704 said:

@evilvegeta74: Thanks! Yeah I was looking more into the 616 universe when I asked the question, but they really got me interested in the Ultimates, so I'm gonna read both. I appreciate the information. I was thinking about maybe reading Secret Invasion. What story lines incorporate Thanos, Ultron, or Kang? I'm really interested in those characters. I've known about Thanos but I've never read a comic with him in it.

Read Annihilation. Annihilation: Conquest has Ultron, but I didn't particularly care for it. But the first Annihilation is great.

Secret Invasion... I really hated SI...

@evilvegeta74 said:

@JediXMan: Seriously you can't possibly believe that the Ultimate Thor is better Than the mainstream 616 version, and the Ultimate hulk because he eats people is more powerful than the 616 version/mainstream Hulk! Quit playing, there is a reason that Ultimates are spin-offs/ different takes. No disrespect but 616 and the ultimate universe is the equivelant of having an 8 cylinder Camaro and a 6 cylinder Camaro. In other words you own one but what good is it unless you have the total package!

Okay. Calm down, calm down... I appear to have injured your sensitive feelings here...

I basically implied "more or less" in the last part. Yes, fine, 616 Thor > Ultimate Thor; 616 Hulk > Ultimate Hulk. I still stand by Captain America and Hawkeye being better in the Ultimate Universe than 616, however. They're just great. And Hawkeye for... obvious reasons.

No Caption Provided
Dex_Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Dex_Starr

Volume 3 and 4 of the Avengers are great

PikminMania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By PikminMania

Trust me when I say you don't want to read Civil War. It is easily one of Marvel's worse events. The entire time Marvel is shoving down how good Captain America is, especially since Iron Man acts worse than most villains in this story. It's awful.