#1 Edited by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

I know the guy gets a lot of hate but hes written some amazing stories. you cant tell me that you hate the guy who wrote ultimate spiderman

#2 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1873 posts) - - Show Bio

@bigtewell: I do hate the guy that wrote USM. I hate all his stuff. Mostly I hated his talking heads, the incessant way he made all the characters speak in pauses, interrupting each other, not able to finish sentences and his inability to grasp or write with imagination. He was utterly incapable to write sci fi characters like Silver Surfer, Ultron, Hank Pym, The Vision, Wonder Man and many others. Why do you think he took them out of the picture? And when he did use them it was a travesty, they would be in the background with no established personality at all!! His decompression method of writing drove me to the brink of madness. How do I rate him?? He killed the Marvel universe for me. Only recently that he has been slowly put aside is it that I can come back to the Avengers. At least Hickman can write smart sounding characters that don't sound like 6th graders.

#3 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, I really like Bendis. His Avengers run was the only thing I didn't like at all

#4 Posted by danhimself (22682 posts) - - Show Bio

his Avengers wasn't very good but USM is probably my all time favorite book and his X-men has been pretty good to

#5 Edited by Wolverine08 (45041 posts) - - Show Bio

When he's good, he's good. When he's bad, he's bad.

#6 Posted by KingAres109 (1288 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: I'm surprised you said that..Lol...I thought Bend is hated superheroes or something like that..

#7 Posted by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Spider-man makes him a solid writer in my book.

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (45041 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingares109: Hates superheroes? I think you are referring to Garth Ennis.

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (45041 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: You should definitely check out his Daredevil run.

#10 Edited by God_Spawn (38233 posts) - - Show Bio

#11 Edited by Donovan Montgomery (5464 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much this

@blackdog2009 said:

@bigtewell: I do hate the guy that wrote USM. I hate all his stuff. Mostly I hated his talking heads, the incessant way he made all the characters speak in pauses, interrupting each other, not able to finish sentences and his inability to grasp or write with imagination. He was utterly incapable to write sci fi characters like Silver Surfer, Ultron, Hank Pym, The Vision, Wonder Man and many others. Why do you think he took them out of the picture? And when he did use them it was a travesty, they would be in the background with no established personality at all!! His decompression method of writing drove me to the brink of madness. How do I rate him?? He killed the Marvel universe for me. Only recently that he has been slowly put aside is it that I can come back to the Avengers. At least Hickman can write smart sounding characters that don't sound like 6th graders.

@wolverine08 said:

.....and how he destroyed it for the reasons bolded above.

#12 Posted by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Wolverine08 (45041 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Issues from 26-81 from vol 2 of Daredevil. Just finished reading it and it was awesome stuff. Really loved it.

#15 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4873 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never read his work. I always hear bad things about him but I sometimes find some post that say some of his work is fantastic.

Since I'm going with solely word of mouth, I think Wolv8 posted the best answer.

I do wonder if he has the same "problem" Rick Remender has. See, I enjoy Remender's work a great deal but I have not read his recent Marvel work. I have seen a great deal of negative posts in regards to his recent work in Marvel. I have seen post that claim he is a "hack." I find this odd and incorrect. I truly think Remender is a solid writer.

So different strokes for different folks but in the end Wolv8 typed it the best. He's been good and he's been bad.

(+)

#16 Edited by JetiiMitra (8784 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Okay, that's now on my list of things to read. And one I'm excited for because the only Daredevil I've read is Roulette by Frank Miller - not sure what issue it was, but I thought it was fantastic. Sparked some interest in DD where there was none.

#17 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: You should totally check out Uncanny Avengers starting with #5. It's basically a direct sequel to Uncanny X-Force now, and it's absolutely fantastic. I don't get the hate

#18 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (2379 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved his Ultimate Spiderman and Daredevil work along with the earlier issues of All New X-men (nowadays All New X-men hasn't been that good) but his Avengers work and crossovers is terrible

#19 Posted by tupiaz (2240 posts) - - Show Bio

His USM and Daredevil is fantastic. I have only read the start of his Avengers run and remember at being fairly ok. Avengers would never had the success nor the movies it has now if it wasn't for Bendis. The Franchise was more or less death when he took over as writer.

@mitran said:

@wolverine08: Okay, that's now on my list of things to read. And one I'm excited for because the only Daredevil I've read is Roulette by Frank Miller - not sure what issue it was, but I thought it was fantastic. Sparked some interest in DD where there was none.

Frank Miller have done a lot with Daredevil at that point. It is by the way Daredevil vol. 1 issue 191. Bendis run is collected in 3 ultimate collections it is the easiest and cheapest way to get the issues. Ed Brubaker's run is starting where Bendis is leaving and is kept in the same style.

#20 Posted by thespideyguy (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

I compare Bendis to Geoff Johns, or Mark Waid.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (45041 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran: Cool! I hope you enjoy it :)

#22 Edited by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

Busy

#23 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

his daredevil run is in my top 3 fav comic runs

#24 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8456 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think I've read enough comics of his to say, but what I have read I've enjoyed.

#25 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18753 posts) - - Show Bio

Both his runs on Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil are arguably the best of the character.

I consider Bendis' DD practically equal with Miller's.

#26 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read his Daredevil, and only read his Avengers here and there. Didn't care that much for the latter. His USM is amazing, Spider-Men is a great read. His writing tendencies work best with Solo characters and especially Spider-Man given his habits to portray characters as being "the funny guy."

#27 Posted by Skit (2733 posts) - - Show Bio

His DD, Ultimate Spider-Man and powers are IMO some of the best runs last decade. The rest of his stuff is awful or meh, so not very highly due to consistency.

#28 Posted by sagejonathan (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read his Guardians of the Galaxy and that fact that I will be dropping it soon should say something. He knows how to string great dialogue together but if his other books resemble his GotG, then I would hate him. The book has no momentum story wise. Nothing important has happened in GotG for the last 3 months and nothing important is coming these next 2 months either.

#29 Posted by thatguyyouknow (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Im probably biased since his ultamate spiderman and new avengers were the things that got me into comics in the first place, but I enjoy his work. Some of It might not be thought provoking or artistic but they are usually fun, entertaining reads.

#30 Posted by frogdog (3406 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read his Guardians of the Galaxy and that fact that I will be dropping it soon should say something. He knows how to string great dialogue together but if his other books resemble his GotG, then I would hate him. The book has no momentum story wise. Nothing important has happened in GotG for the last 3 months and nothing important is coming these next 2 months either.

Then avoid his avengers run and all new x-men, it's the same s***

#31 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1612 posts) - - Show Bio

If Bendis never wrote the Avengers he would have been my favorite writer

#32 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2048 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read his DD run..which so many folks liked, and I thought was horrendous. In fact, I dropped the book. If that was his best..I'd hate to see his worst. To be fair..I did not read USM.

#33 Posted by sagejonathan (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog said:

@sagejonathan said:

Then avoid his avengers run and all new x-men, it's the same s***

Thanks for the heads up.

#34 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

The man is an abomination when it comes to team books and super hero style stories. Where as street level he can be as grounded and cynical as he pleased that and indie titles. But on teams everyone either had an identical voice, constant long pausing that would make Christopher Walken nod in shame, and had the tendency of Claremont repeating the same storyline.

#35 Edited by GraniteSoldier (8589 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed his Ult Spider-Man run. He better do well with Agent Venom when he joins up with the Guardians in a few months.

#36 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1873 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: there you go that is another example of his hackness... there are issues he wrote where characters do NOTHING for months!! In a medium like comic books that is a crime.

#37 Edited by Experio (16927 posts) - - Show Bio

What can I say, the dude's inconsistent.

#38 Posted by SOG7dc (7814 posts) - - Show Bio

I like what ive read that was written by him. Daredevil is incredible. i liked the first volume of dark avengers. and i look forward to reading usm

#39 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the logic of "I don't like this writer, so he's a hack"

#40 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4873 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one: You should totally check out Uncanny Avengers starting with #5. It's basically a direct sequel to Uncanny X-Force now, and it's absolutely fantastic. I don't get the hate

Thank you for the recommendation. I have it on my list of series I want to read someday soon. (+)