• 115 results
#1 Edited by _Maven_ (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I just wanted to know... Are people complaining that The Avengers was simply the most popular film of 2012 among the general audience, highest-grossing non-James Cameron movie and one of the most talked about/critically-successful superhero movies?

I definitely can't wait to hop on the internet the next time a superhero-box office smash hit comes around.

#2 Posted by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

Because not everyone enjoyed the film as.much as everyone so they dislike it when people express their joy.

Some want to point out the flaws of the film as if the flaws are reasons why so many people should stop expressing how much they enjoyed the film.

The want to say that it is overrated because there were other films that had a more developed story or whatever.

They just want to have people stop expressing their love for the movie so it is "overrated."

-m3th.O.D.-

#3 Posted by russellmania77 (14561 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the script was very simple

#4 Edited by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

Because there's something called "having an opinion" that goes along with "free will," which is unaffected by (bias) critics and box office results.

That said, the Avengers is rather overrated. I liked it, yes, but it's not the best comic book movie, and certainly not the best comic book movie of all time.

PS: Censor your posts.

#5 Posted by MonsterStomp (15810 posts) - - Show Bio

The majority of people overrated the film. Lets be honest here. The plot was pretty weak and there were a lot of holes. First time I watched it, it was enjoyable, despite my friends bragging about how awesome it was and setting my expectations to an all time high, it was enjoyable. Second time through, meh. Third time through, I actually started asking myself questions about the film. It doesn't have that long lasting enjoyment like say the Iron Man trilogy or The Dark Knight or The Amazing Spider-Man films. I hope to god Avengers 2 is twice as good as the first.

#6 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's be honest: the biggest "cool" factor of the Avengers is because it was built upon by multiple movies over 4 years that all led to a climactic team-up movie. And that is, indeed, quite the achievement, but it's really the only achievement in the movie.

However, the Avengers showed that this type of format was possible. I like the idea of multiple movie series / trilogies all tying into one big movie; it's a great idea. Hopefully, the execution will continually get better over the next few years (especially Star Wars appears to be going a route similar to this).

#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Loki is both a joke and totally out of character compared to his excellent role in Thor
  • Certain plot elements existed solely to set up a corny joke that is only mildly amusing the first time (Loki's sceptre targeting a person's heart, despite being a MIND control device, purely for the joke with Tony later on in the film)
  • Script and direction are completely without an ounce of sophistication, which is fine, but not for a movie people call "The best ever".
  • The movie really loses its shine after the first viewing. After that, the jokes stop being funny and the action stops being cool, so you have to focus on the depth of the film, of which there is none. Again, not a bad thing for a good entertaining movie, but not THE BEST EVER.
  • There is no sense of urgency or gravitas to the film at all. Whedon and co are far more interested in one-liners than establishing a threat for the heroes to overcome. This would be fine, if the movie wasn't about the decimation of Earth and subjugation of the human race. The Chitauri kill absolutely no one in their entire invasion. No Avenger, no civilians, literally no one is killed. And they take prisoners... why? What do they gain from that? Again, it's just so the movie can keep a light tone, because God forbid there not be a joke every second. There is no tension or suspense at all, because we know that no one will die, if they died, they couldn't make a joke.
  • The ending is ripped off completely from Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which is actually a vastly superior movie, but is overlooked because people like to think they know what they're talking about.
  • Far too much focus on Iron Man, who already has his own trilogy, when all of the other Avengers were far more interesting.
  • Obviously there's ten million plotholes, but every movie has those, it's not a far reason to dismiss the film, but again, it's far from the best ever.
#8 Posted by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

Meth thinks it's funny when the express errors of the Avengers movie but later choose Nolan's Batman as an example of "good writing." hahahahaba

-m3th.O.D.-

#9 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th: GoG thinks that Meth should stop talking in the third person.

:/

#10 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

• Loki is both a joke and totally out of character compared to his excellent role in Thor
  • Certain plot elements existed solely to set up a corny joke that is only mildly amusing the first time (Loki's sceptre targeting a person's heart, despite being a MIND control device, purely for the joke with Tony later on in the film)
  • Script and direction are completely without an ounce of sophistication, which is fine, but not for a movie people call "The best ever".
  • The movie really loses its shine after the first viewing. After that, the jokes stop being funny and the action stops being cool, so you have to focus on the depth of the film, of which there is none. Again, not a bad thing for a good entertaining movie, but not THE BEST EVER.
  • There is no sense of urgency or gravitas to the film at all. Whedon and co are far more interested in one-liners than establishing a threat for the heroes to overcome. This would be fine, if the movie wasn't about the decimation of Earth and subjugation of the human race. The Chitauri kill absolutely no one in their entire invasion. No Avenger, no civilians, literally no one is killed. And they take prisoners... why? What do they gain from that? Again, it's just so the movie can keep a light tone, because God forbid there not be a joke every second. There is no tension or suspense at all, because we know that no one will die, if they died, they couldn't make a joke.
  • The ending is ripped off completely from Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which is actually a vastly superior movie, but is overlooked because people like to think they know what they're talking about.
  • Far too much focus on Iron Man, who already has his own trilogy, when all of the other Avengers were far more interesting.
  • Obviously there's ten million plotholes, but every movie has those, it's not a far reason to dismiss the film, but again, it's far from the best ever.

This - all of this.

#11 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Even the DoTM bit?

Although let it be said that I really enjoyed DoTM.

So badass.

And the Decepticons at least visibly killed people. I think you even see people reduced to piles of bones from a Decepticon fighter.

@fadetoblackbolt I'm not remembering wrongly am I?

#12 Posted by russellmania77 (14561 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th: hahahahahaha comparing dk trilogy's script to avenger's script lmfao you must be on m3th

#13 Edited by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Well if every movie has ten million plotholes... When WILL we have the best CBM ever (and please don't say Justice League, Superman/Batman or anything DC because then your points are invalid, lol :P)?

#14 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

Meth thinks it's funny when the express errors of the Avengers movie but later choose Nolan's Batman as an example of "good writing." hahahahaba

-m3th.O.D.-

I like Avengers but it's not nearly as well written as the Nolan Batman films. Sure it's funnier and funner, but that doesn't mean it's better.

#15 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Even the DoTM bit?

Haven't seen DotM. I found that rather questionable, given what some of my friends have to say about it, but I cannot accurately comment on it without having watched it myself.

#16 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

Well if every movie has ten million plotholes... When WILL we have the best CBM ever

We have it.

It's called the Dark Knight.

#17 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: People died in DotM, yes.

But even if they didn't on screen, tonally it's just very different. When the war starts, the jokes stop and the stupidity ends. Then Optimus Prime goes through an amazing character arc where he just says enough and begins to murder everyone in his way. He was much more pacifistic in TF and the awful RotF, but as soon as Ironhide died and his idol betrayed him, Optimus just went postal. It was a very clear character story about what happens when a virtuous soul is thrust into a true war situation where he can't talk his way out, and where if the good guys lose then everything dies. Optimus put aside his idealism and just did what had to be done, and it was an incredibly bleak story for a film franchise aimed with kids in mind. Some heroes die, others are mutilated, and the best good guy sticks an axe into his enemy's face, after the enemy tries to negotiate. Dark of the Moon may have been about giant robots who turn into cars, but they were much more human than any character in Avengers.

In Avengers, the humans would have instantly wiped out the Chitauri with a nuke had the Avengers failed. Had Optimus failed, the Earth was f*cked.

#18 Edited by russellmania77 (14561 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

-m3th.O.D.-

I like Avengers but it's not nearly as well written as the Nolan Batman films. Sure it's funnier and funner, but that doesn't mean it's better.

No... No, no no...

Is anyone in this thread not a Nolanite?

#20 Posted by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@tyrus said:

Well if every movie has ten million plotholes... When WILL we have the best CBM ever

We have it.

It's called the Dark Knight.

Your argument is officially invalid XD

#21 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

@decoyelite said:

@m3th said:

-m3th.O.D.-

No... No, no no...

Why is it that I have to be a Nolanite? I actually liked Avengers more than I liked Rises, but I still don't think it's better written. I just think it's the more enjoyable film for me personally.

#22 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Well if every movie has ten million plotholes... When WILL we have the best CBM ever (and please don't say Justice League, Superman/Batman or anything DC because then your points are invalid, lol :P)?

The Crow is superior to the Avengers. As is Sin City. And Scott Pilgrim.

#23 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

@decoyelite said:

@m3th said:

-m3th.O.D.-

No... No, no no...

I'm not a Nolanite. I just like good movies.

#24 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Watchmen (Ultimate Edition. Screw theatrical), the Incredible Hulk, Batman Begins, the Dark Knight, and - arguably - Man of Steel.

#25 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

SCOTT PILGRIM LIED TO ME AND I HATE IT! *Throws rocks*

#26 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@tyrus said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Watchmen (Ultimate Edition. Screw theatrical), the Incredible Hulk, Batman Begins, the Dark Knight, and - arguably - Man of Steel.

Those are all better (except for Inc Hulk. Had Jen Conn been in it instead of Liv Tyler, I'd agree).

But I was saying non-DC movies

#27 Edited by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my Lord this thread is not my habitat...

#28 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

??

#29 Posted by russellmania77 (14561 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: so you only like marvel then?

#30 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

??

I was promised a gamer movie not a romance!

I may be a tad bit bitter.

#31 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17261 posts) - - Show Bio

WHYEH? WHY YOU DO DIS? :P

#32 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Those are all better (except for Inc Hulk. Had Jen Conn been in it instead of Liv Tyler, I'd agree).

Maybe, but the dialogue was better, the characters showed a lot more emotion, the villain was more threatening, and the overall plot was a lot deeper.

That and Ed Norton > Mark Ruffalo.

#33 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

Oh my Lord this thread is not my habitat...

You could, ya know, explain your position or something.

I know it's harder than basically calling everyone fanboys but I think you can pull it off.

#34 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

WHYEH? WHY YOU DO DIS? :P

Sin City is much less enjoyable, but at least it was different. Avengers is formulaic and generic to the nth degree.

@jedixman said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@jedixman said:

Maybe, but the dialogue was better, the characters showed a lot more emotion, the villain was more threatening, and the overall plot was a lot deeper.

That and Ed Norton > Mark Ruffalo.

Ed Norton > Everyone except Kevin Spacey.

#35 Edited by russellmania77 (14561 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17261 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: i don't get why you are so harsh with the Movie Man :P, it was what it was. we Call it the BEST because it was a Superhero Movie to it's core, it knew what it was and it didn't try to be anything else wasn't perfect, but it was amazing.

#37 Posted by M3th (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

Meth can never get enough of the pompous attitudes that DC fanboys have.

-m3th.O.D.-

#38 Posted by Saren (25273 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie-wise yes. I just get annoyed when people mention The Dark Knight Trilogy... The Dark Knight Trilogy is clearly overrated like The Avengers. Due to this site being more... DC-biased, it's hard for me to find people who actually agree.

Funny thing is that The Avengers is one movie and people call it overrated - There are THREE Batman movies that people call superior to Avengers - that's right, THREE Batman movies vs ONE Marvel movie... I need an explanation as to how people don't see that as overrated :/

#40 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@fadetoblackbolt: i don't get why you are so harsh with the Movie Man :P, it was what it was. we Call it the BEST because it was a Superhero Movie to it's core, it knew what it was and it didn't try to be anything else wasn't perfect, but it was amazing.

I'm harsh because saying that Avengers is the best comic movie ever is like saying that Astonishing X-Men is the best comic ever.

Anyone who says that deserves to be beaten to death with a hardcover of V for Vendetta or Y: the Last Man.

#41 Posted by MonsterStomp (15810 posts) - - Show Bio
@tyrus said:

@decoyelite said:

@m3th said:

-m3th.O.D.-

No... No, no no...

Yeeeeee, because when someone is against The Avengers they're automatically a Nolan fan... -.-

#42 Posted by russellmania77 (14561 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: because avengers was like 4 movies put in 1? Or maybe cuz it made more money? Or maybe cuz it's true

#43 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

-m3th.O.D.-

You know you sound like you're riding a high horse yourself when you blatantly call everyone DC fanboys while referring to yourself in 3rd person right?

#44 Posted by Tyrus (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

I'm harsh because saying that Avengers is the best comic movie ever is like saying that Astonishing X-Men is the best comic ever.

Anyone who says that deserves to be beaten to death with a hardcover of V for Vendetta or Y: the Last Man.

So does that go for the Dark Knight as well (please say yes please say yes)?

@tyrus said:

@decoyelite said:

@m3th said:

-m3th.O.D.-

No... No, no no...

Yeeeeee, because when someone is against The Avengers they're automatically a Nolan fan... -.-

Uh, no need to be sarcastic (if you are) - @monsterstomp just compared Avengers to Nolan :P

#45 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17261 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

well, then i guess your gonna have to cover your Copy of V for Vendetta with Blood :P. Funny way to die though, always thought i'd go out by getting hit by a car or something.

#46 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: He has a signature, DE, that makes him cool. Geez, don't you know anything?

@m3th said:

-m3th.O.D.-

Or the self-righteous martyr complex of Marvel fanboys

#47 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

As with every film, some people will like, and some won't.

Sometimes, I fell people forget that comic book movies are movies as well. There will be films that other people love, but you were never that into, and other films you worship, but people hate.

That's life.

#48 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@theacidskull said:

well, then i guess your gonna have to cover your Copy of V for Vendetta with Blood :P. Funny way to die though, always thought i'd go out by getting hit by a car or something.

You would say that Astonishing X-Men is the best comic ever? =P

#49 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17261 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@theacidskull said:

You would say that Astonishing X-Men is the best comic ever? =P

oh i thought you were talking about the avengers, my bad.

i haven't read Astonishing x-men

#50 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

@russellmania77 said:

Movie-wise yes. I just get annoyed when people mention The Dark Knight Trilogy... The Dark Knight Trilogy is clearly overrated like The Avengers. Due to this site being more... DC-biased, it's hard for me to find people who actually agree.

Funny thing is that The Avengers is one movie and people call it overrated - There are THREE Batman movies that people call superior to Avengers - that's right, THREE Batman movies vs ONE Marvel movie... I need an explanation as to how people don't see that as overrated :/

This site isn't DC biased, there's far too large a user base with largely varying opinions for that to do be the case.

Lots of people call everything overrated, it's not just a thing Avengers gets. People call the Batman movies superior because they like them more. If you think that lots of people liking one movie more than another makes it overrated then your entire argument about how Avengers isn't overrated falls apart.

Let's reach common ground here for a sec, both the Batman movies and The Avengers are good movies that lots of people enjoy. I'm one of said people. Personally I don't like people using the term overrated, but people are gonna do what they do so just take statements of quality with a grain of salt and don't get riled up by this sort of thing man.