So....here is my thing about "feats" and the superhero genre....

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Edited By SOG7dc

So as some of you may know, yesterday i made a thread begging the question of whether or not feats were a necessary part of the super-hero genre of comic books. The responses were appreciated and they got me thinking. So i pondered and pontificated and googled a bunch of words until i found other words and formed my refined opinion on "feats" (you diggin' the italics? yeah......i know you are.). So if I were to be asked that same question again my answer would be that "feats" as a tool are indeed necessary to the super-hero genre. I say this not because of battle forums or debates but because, in my opinion, "feats" are a vital part of what make superheroes, superheroes. Would you read a comic about an everyday fireman? I would, but if you tell me that fireman can shoot lasers out of his eyes i would have two responses; the first being one that calls into question the irony there, and the second being me becoming even more interested from a nerdy standpoint. If we're all being honest with ourselves and each other we all want feats in some capacity when we read or watch our super-heroes. If you went to see MOS and Clark had no powers, then it would just be a movie about a guy. If you bought a silver surfer comic nd he was just on Zenn-La with no powers you may not be as likely to read that book. Because we LOVE super-heroes. We love the fantasy of being able to fly and catch a falling airplane. Part of the fun of Super-heroes is that they can solve the unsolvable problems while they themselves deal with the everyday unsolvable problems we deal with in our everyday lives. Spider-man can stop a bank robbery, a rape, a kidnapping and an dragon monster attack in an afternoon but he's worried about tax season just like the rest of us. We read the book for both reasons. Because there is a feeling of normalcy and awe. We want to read about Peter Parker and Spider-man and how similar and different they are. could you read a book about a guy and his wife? Ask Brian K. Vaughn. But dont you want your super-heroes to do super-things? i do. and im not ashamed of it. It's part of the fabric of the entire genre. "it's a bird! It's a plane!" isnt a reference to the triumphs of spirit in Clark Kent's life. Its excitement because a dude can fly! Thats awesome! There was one thing i read in my research ("research") for this blog that spoke about the first issue of Mr. Majestics series. One of the reviewers said something that really touched my inner geek (but nor in that perverted way youre thinking......sicko) he said "remember that time when Super-heroes could move planets?" I look on that time fondly. A time where wonder was as key to the reading experience as exposition, rising action, climax, falling action and resolution. And That's why we really love our Super-heroes isnt it? Wonder. They make us dream. They make us, if for only a moment believe in the utterly and physically and emotionally impossible. And ain't nothing wrong with that. So blow up a planet with a hammer and bench press a planet for five days in complete disregard for everything Newton, Einstein and Hawking have dedicated their entire lives to. Because, if for no other reason, that shit is cool!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Dem Italics....so mesmerized. 0___0

lol jk

Wow. Great blog. I agree. The Superhero world is our modern day mythos and they are our legends.

They SHOULD do incredible things because that's part of the fantasy.

Did anyone blow up a planet with a hammer?

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Superheros are more noble and "human" Mythological heroes, that is why there are feats because in mythology that was a common thing

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm totally ok with no feats, I read for the story.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

Nice wall of text there.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 SC  Moderator

Cool blog with some great thoughts.

Feats are subjective, which means under the definition, they are inherently carried within any action, and their greatness are derived by contrast to other actions. Which means very ordinary people in real life and fiction perform feats. That being said I understand your particular emphasis is on outrageously extreme feats, as they pertain to the superhero genre and I agree, wish fulfillment, vicarious living and power fantasies do play a role in superhero genre as well as fantastical and awesome demonstrations of ability.

That being said with attempts to defend some aspects of a genre or approach to a genre, I do think its important not to undermine other genres or approaches to writing characters, even superheroes. Some of the very best superhero stories don't feature such feats at all, because feats aren't exclusive to physical feats of power. That isn't to shame stories where insane physical feats of power do feature, thats the point, no type of story should be shamed or undermined because they don't conform to one persons preferences. Many superhero stories for example are great because the powers are just stand in metaphors for real life problems and situations, but instead of presenting the conflict as it is in reality (which can involve abstract ideas and problems) they almost take an Expressionist like approach (other abstract art styles can apply) as far as presenting such ideas in ways that seem physical and robust. So feats aren't necessary in those situations either, and its not as if good stories started after Superman was created. By the same token there are many non superhero stories that have powerful feats, like stories like I Kill Giants or Transmetropolitan which feature ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Not to mention stories with superheroes which focus on and make a feature of the mundane.

I also personally find the best outrageous examples of feats rely on and take into account what "Newton, Einstein and Hawking dedicated their lives to" because to break the rules well you have to know the rules well. This is why a lot of what superheroes do is more compelling and satisfying than feats in children's cartoons, because in order to make something seem really fantastical you have to contrast it and ground it with the real and reality. Basically I am an advocate of diversity and balance and not being too restrictive of what stories need.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChildoftheAtom

@sog7dc:

Very interesting point. But I disagree about the more fantastic ones. I'm guessing u don't care for street leveled heroes. If ur a fan of superman I'm guessing the infinite strength feat was pretty cool. IMO I like the feats with Spider-Man jumping 40 feet in the air. They are just cooler to see and I can comprehend how amazing they are. Let's compare Thor in his solo series to Thor in movies and cartoons in which he is on a team. These versions of Thor bring his feats to what I like to call superhuman levels. This is the best level for story. Enhanced durability instead of nigh invincible. Strength to fight giants not completely outclass an army. This creates more balance and better fights while on a team.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Didn't read.

Jk

I did read, I even read SC's giant post. I agree, i think. Feats don't make the story. But they are greatly appreciated. Powers that you don't expect amaze me. Take Secret Origin for example, when Superman was fighting parasite and he bursted out freeze breath. It wasn't an all powerful attack, but it literally made me think "heck yeah" "this is sweet"

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Good stories can be written without any feats in sight since characterisation and plot are what make the story really. Of course, feats are the cherry on top of the cake because they show the mythological and impossible happen on a regular basis. It's supposed to be fun to see characters bench press 100 tons, punch through mountains or run faster than the sound barrier on a whim. We comic book fans like comparing the legitimacy of feats to see what's reliable and what's caused by plot convenience. Plus seeing super powered beings lay into each other in inventive fight sequences is part of what makes the superhero genre so engaging to readers. Nice blog.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SOG7dc

@childoftheatom:

Maybe I came off the wrong way but I agree with you. I love street level heroes as well. I was more talking about feats as a tool for all superheroes

McHotcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm totally ok with no feats, I read for the story.

Totally agreed

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mchotcakes:

Hmm. Everybody has their own tastes I guess.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

Yeah we love extraordinary, but it is when we do comparison to another character is where things stop being fun for everybody. That is when things get ugly.

Hey it is better than a protagonist that constantly whining. What kind of escapism is that? It reminds me of scene on the movie Last Action Hero line car crashing with taxi cab. The hero will still do something awesome despite the odds even if reality ensues. Heck they will use reality physics as an educational lesson of doing something awesome.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By hart7668

I mean, Superman's being was predicated on quantifiable feats. "Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locamotive, about to leap 1/8th of a mile in a single bound."

But a story can be great without too many real-life-comparable-quantifiable feats. Case in point, Dragon Ball the manga