#1 Edited by Glabal500 (636 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting?

#2 Edited by The Stegman (24652 posts) - - Show Bio

Very rarely do I care what writers think about comics in general, even if they are good writers.

#3 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

He's over-rated anyway.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33631 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, so? I'm not much of a fan of straight superhero comics ether

#5 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not a fan of Alan moore.

#6 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Does he still even write comics?

#7 Edited by danhimself (22581 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore hates anything that isn't written by Alan Moore

#8 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Someone needs to tell that old man that just because someone sticks a microphone in his face doesn't mean he has to talk into it. Just shut up and write.

#9 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, so? I'm not much of a fan of straight superhero comics ether

You're weird.

#10 Edited by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Very rarely do I care what writers think about comics in general, even if they are good writers.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33631 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes....incredibly weird comics.

#13 Posted by noj (1084 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore is the biggest self righteous douchbag in the industry. He should just learn to keep his mouth shut.

#14 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33631 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by RedLantern23 (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Old news....

#17 Edited by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

@eternal19 said:

Part three of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen volume three was released last year.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33631 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe: just because a super hero is in a comic doesn't automatically make it good

#19 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Could be. The only difference is that I'm not a major influence in the industry. Alan Moore has a platform, and all he uses it for is complaining like a child. Of course, to be fair I don't think this just about Moore, but pretty much every celebrity ever that thinks it's their duty to "set people right." Just shut up and do your damn job.

#20 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Billy Batson (58070 posts) - - Show Bio

But he doesn't.

BB

#22 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1920 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Could be. The only difference is that I'm not a major influence in the industry. Alan Moore has a platform, and all he uses it for is complaining like a child. Of course, to be fair I don't think this just about Moore, but pretty much every celebrity ever that thinks it's their duty to "set people right." Just shut up and do your damn job.

Clap, clap, clap. Why celebrities think that because they wrote something, or did a movie makes them an "expert" on anything (other than writing or acting.) has always baffled me. I like Moore's writing...a lot, but I don't think he's the only good writer in comics history. Some of his best stuff were Superman arcs, who, in case he hadn't heard, is a Super-hero.

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33631 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan moore hasnt been relevant for 8yrs an counting

#25 Posted by Billy Batson (58070 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan moore hasnt been relevant for 8yrs an counting

Every time he drops a book it's the most selling.

BB

#26 Posted by PowerHerc (84368 posts) - - Show Bio

Hah! Yes.

#27 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1920 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@manwhohaseverything: so coz your not a celebritie then your opinion is somehow more valid?

I didn't say that. I didn't even come close to saying that.

You actually did, by how you expressed your opinion it seems as if you don't like celebrities having an opinion at all, ergo the fans are the only ones who have an opinion. In a way, like it or not celebrities' opinions on certain matters and in certain cases should be listened with more care than others (and read this twice if you need to, I didn't say that their opinion is more valid, but that it deserves more analyzing), because they, unlike us, have actually written comic books and got them published, they know how things work way better than we do, having more background to formulate an opinion out of, which in many cases is stronger than what we may say about the subject, which isn't "worse" than theirs or anything, but in many cases less informed,

#29 Edited by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

I need more evidence to be proven that he hates heroes. Yes he is jerk but he does make good stories. I feel he failed to show Rochach’s extreme actions are terrible and made things worst. Maybe that is the reason he wants a second chance.

#30 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4249 posts) - - Show Bio

...Dosen't Alan Moore hate everything? I thought that was his gimmick.

#31 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

..But it's ok to ride a career of fame off of a superhero graphic novel?

He could have said he didn't like writers and I would maybe find more irony in it. He's a renowned curmudgeon though isn't he? Awfully grumpy.

#32 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1920 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@manwhohaseverything: so coz your not a celebritie then your opinion is somehow more valid?

I didn't say that. I didn't even come close to saying that.

You actually did, by how you expressed your opinion it seems as if you don't like celebrities having an opinion at all, ergo the fans are the only ones who have an opinion. In a way, like it or not celebrities' opinions on certain matters and in certain cases should be listened with more care than others (and read this twice if you need to, I didn't say that their opinion is more valid, but that it deserves more analyzing), because they, unlike us, have actually written comic books and got them published, they know how things work way better than we do, having more background to formulate an opinion out of, which in many cases is stronger than what we may say about the subject, which isn't "worse" than theirs or anything, but in many cases less informed,

If you read the context of this, going back to @spinningbirdcake, we're not talking about comic-book celebrities only. Nor on opinions about comics, but rather social issues and such. I know we got off the path from just talking about Alan Moore, which is what this thread is about. Alan Moore's opinions on comic story, or writing in general IS more valid than mine. His opinion on politics or religion is not.

#33 Posted by MaccyD (4177 posts) - - Show Bio

Isnt this coming from the guy who wrote Watchmen?

#34 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

Which was a deconstruction of the superhero concept. Not exactly a love letter to superheroes.

Alan Moore is one of the greatest writers, and the most literary, in comic history.

He's mad as a snake and would try to eat his own face if he got bored enough, though.

#35 Posted by Billy Batson (58070 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how most take this seriously when the OP doesn't have any source of him actually saying this.

BB

#36 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

I still like him better than the King of sleaze, sociopathic hobos in stolen superhero outfits, and lord of WHORESWHORESWHORESWHORESWHORES.

Frank Miller in other words.

#37 Posted by Riot_Sqrrl (262 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Aaron has a much nicer beard.

#38 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore doesn't hate superhero comics. He hates the lazy-ass storytelling and cliches that superhero comics have come to typify.

#39 Edited by tupiaz (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how most take this seriously when the OP doesn't have any source of him actually saying this.

BB

This.

@maccyd said:

Which was a deconstruction of the superhero concept. Not exactly a love letter to superheroes.

Alan Moore is one of the greatest writers, and the most literary, in comic history.

He's mad as a snake and would try to eat his own face if he got bored enough, though.

I would put Neil Gaiman,Grant Morrison, Brian Azzarello and Peter David even though I haven't read all their comics nor their books and yes the two later are from the US. In general the English writers seems to be less focus on pop culture and read more high culture.

#40 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

It is my life goal to never read anything by Alan Moore. It got really tricky when I was talking to this girl about comics and she said:

"You should totally read Watchmen!"

I ended up faking my way through a conversation about it a few days later, she didn't suspect a thing. I suppose my straw-man conception was good enough.