Six Comic based movies that deserve a Reboot

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Edited By Strider1992

After seeing the Spider-man reboot it got me thinking what other hero’s deserve/need a reboot.

Hellblazer

First I’m going to start with the one I personally think needs the reboot the most. I may be slightly biased here as John Constantine is one of my favorite characters.

Both Paul Bettany and Daniel Craig could pull off John
Both Paul Bettany and Daniel Craig could pull off John
Sorry but this isn't Hellblazer
Sorry but this isn't Hellblazer

Dear god where do I begin here. The movie Constantine that came out in 2005 was just……well the problem is although I want to be mad with it I can’t because it was NOT a Hellblazer movie. The only thing that the character in the Constantine movie had in common with the Constantine from the Vertigo comics was his name. That’s it. It’s very hard to be mad at something that literally has no claim or resemblance to original character. The Constantine in the comics is a blond British guy with a cynical sense of humor and an incredible knack for getting out of trouble. The Constantine in the movie well just wasn’t……he just wasn’t.

I can’t even properly describe how I feel about it all I can say he was not Vertigo’s John Constantine at all. He wasn't British, blond and didn't have the sarcastic sense of humor I’m used to seeing in the comics. It’s almost as if the writers and producers sat down and said “lets make a movie about Hellblazer but let it be nothing like Hellblazer” which to me is completely stupid. Why adapt a movie from a comic if you don’t even want to use the material provided. If you’re going to do that go make an original character of your own don’t take another and change it simply because you feel like it. The comics have so many good stories (with 300 issues I should damn well hope so) you could use so there really is non rhyme, reason or excuse as to why they did what they did with Constantine.

Reboot it, set it in Britain and bring back the sarcastic Brit we all know and love.

Spawn

That cape still looks awesome
That cape still looks awesome
No Caption Provided

For its time Spawn was not a terrible movie. However it has aged horribly and the story/lines just don’t come across well now. This is one of the reasons Spawn deserves a reboot despite the fact it has aged badly you can still see the potential in it for a good reboot with the new special effects we have today. The casting in the original film was also good. White and Leguizamo played their parts well and despite its age the CGI for Spawn’s cape still looks awesome even today.

However the storyline and lines are what let it down badly now. Another thing that seems to plague the movie is the fact they attempted to cram too much into one movie. For example Malbogia is undoubtedly the big baddy of age 1 Spawn but he only really becomes relevant nearer the end. For a Spawn movie you don’t need to try to cram the big bag guy in the first movie. The first few issues of age 1 Spawn really highlight the emotional trauma Al Simmons is going through not to mention Violator causing him trouble at every turn. These two elements are all you need to make a good Spawn reboot there's no need to rush into trying to cram everyone into one movie. Let it play out naturally like in the comics, throw in the modern special effects we now have and I can see Spawn making a very good reboot.

Ghost Rider

Be jealous of my perfectly white skull!
Be jealous of my perfectly white skull!

There seems to be a trend appearing. Do people have trouble making superhero movies that have connections to the occult/horror?

The first Ghost Rider fell to the thing that kills most movies. The director and producers trying to make it viewable for all audiences. This has and will continue to kill movies for years to come. The problem with Ghost Rider is that he is a character who isn’t for all audiences especially young children thus to treat him as such is stupid and should not be done. Say what you like Ghost Rider is a dark and creepy character and should not be seen with a pearly white skull or drinking jellybeans out of a glass.

Who needs to be jealous when you can look like this?
Who needs to be jealous when you can look like this?

I had high hopes for Spirit Of Vengeance however they too were not met unfortunately. However there were some vast improvements. This Ghost Rider was dark and gritty just as he should be. Physically he was also a lot more imposing (no more pretty pearly white skull) and the CGI that accompanied him was great. Even Nicholas Cage’s performance as Johnny Blaze increased dramatically and his “freak out” was a pretty convincing interpretation of what it might be like to be possessed by daemon/angel. This was not enough to save it however. Although this movie did not fall into the “trying to please everyone” area (thank you Neveldine and Tyler) it was let down so badly by the storyline. Go back and have a look at the movie all the raw materials were there for a good movie but for some reason they just weren't assembled properly. Great effects, scarier/grittier Ghost Rider and it was definitely not aimed at all audiences.

What is needed is to take the raw materials they had in SoV and give it to a capable writer and although I thought Nic Cage’s performance had improved I still can’t get on board with him as Johnny Blaze so I would bring in someone new.

DareDevil

Shiny latex ftw!
Shiny latex ftw!

Well we’ve left the occult/horror behind us and are now back in normalish regions. There was so much wrong with this movie that I will only go into a few things that plagued me the most. One was the fact that they tried to put to many people in the movie some of whom weren't needed. Another thing that ticked me off was that watching it I got the feeling I was watching an Elektra prequel rather than a DareDevil movie. This only made things worse. The movie is called DareDevil for Christ’s sake before you include more people in the movie ground the main character first. Make sure the audience know who he is. After that you can start enlarging his universe and adding/buffing out more characters. The first movie of any series should focus on showing who the main character is not skimming it quickly in favor of adding more characters. Too many characters have a habit of ruining superhero movies anyway *cough*Spider-man 3*cough*.

Although some comic based movies have pulled off a good movie by changing the characters origin slightly (Iron Man is a good example) they nearly always showed a good connection to the original story. It’s not that DareDevil ignored this as such but a lot of elements such as Elektra’s death and Kingpin finding out Matt’s identity (which were all Millar stories I believe?) while good stories are not his origin and have no real business being there. Bullseye was a good choice of villain but we didn’t need Kingpin too. He is the big bad guy who should really remain in the shadows until the sequel when he can be revealed as the big baddy pulling the strings. The whole movie seemed very rushed to me as if they wanted to cram in as much as possible for no real reason. Again I think this is another movie that fell into the “wanting to please everyone” trap. DareDevil is not Spider-man and as such shouldn't have a light tone to his movie. DareDevil’s world isn’t very child friendly and if you’re going to make a movie about it don’t dumb it down for that benefit. Hell’s Kitchen is a pretty awful place filled with crime, drugs, prostitution etc.. and should have a dark tone to reflect this (the sort of atmosphere that you got when watching The Dark Knight or V For Vendetta). Another thing that plagued me was DareDevil's shiny latex-like suit. Replace that material now!

There are many ways this could be very well adapted in a way that would make a good film however if they truly are insistent making it child-friendly then push that rating as high and as hard as you can.

Nick Fury

The names Fury......Nick Fury
The names Fury......Nick Fury

Now I haven’t actually seen the original one so I can’t really go into how it could be improved however I don’t really need to. If Nick Fury gets a reboot it would be favorable to have absolutely no prior connection to the other what so ever. If there was ever a movie to act as prequel to the Avengers then it’s a movie based on Nick Fury. Get Jackson on board and make a movie about Nick Fury rising through the ranks of S.H.I.E.L.D make it a kind of Jame’s Bond meets Marvel type film. Heavily based on the spying and military intelligence aspect but with a few technologically enhanced villains thrown in (I’m talking Shocker type villains. Not superpowered but with advanced enough tech to show that it is situated in the Marvel-verse and not real life).

Elektra

This is the only image I will post as I value my sanity
This is the only image I will post as I value my sanity

This movie was bad…..really bad. Again this is another that has so many faults I’m only going to go into the parts that really annoyed me rather than rant for pages. You may also be wondering why I even think she should have a reboot. Unlike any of the other people I’ve mentioned she isn't a big player in her universe so why do I think she should get a reboot? Well because I want to see more female standalone movies. There are so many female characters that are good enough to have their own movies but for some reason aren't considered.

My hope would be that if the reboot was successful more female lead comic-based movies would follow. This was another movie that fell prey to cramming too many characters into one movie , not to mention bad casting, acting, costumes, choice of villains….i’ll stop there. Suffice to say there was a lot to be disliked about this movie. They should reboot this and completely scrap every idea they had for the previous version. Make the main bad guy the Hand. Not a group of superpowered people. A whole fricking army of ninja’s is enough of a challenge, no need to throw in a guy with living tattoo’s. This movie could also co-inside with DareDevil explaining Elektra’s origin before appearing in a potential DareDevil sequel.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#1  Edited By wildvine

I agree with everything you have said here.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Billy Batson
The only thing that the character in the Constantine movie had in common with the Constantine from the Vertigo comics was his name.

Nah, they couldn't even get that right.
BB

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#3  Edited By TheCannon

I know barely anything about Spawn or Hellblazer, so no comment there. But I agree with everything else. Especially Ghost Rider. Reboot that thing without Nicholas Cage!

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Bruxae

Some really good suggestions here, id especially want to see an updated version of Spawn, I rewatched it a few weeks ago remembering how awesome it was when it was released (1997 I think?) and those effects.. They aged very badly, but it still has potential.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm with OP. I'd love to see someone try to defend any of those craptastic movies

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strider1992

@Billy Batson said:

The only thing that the character in the Constantine movie had in common with the Constantine from the Vertigo comics was his name.

BB

Oh yeah I forgot that. They pronounced it Con-stan-teen instead of Con-stan-tyne lol.......thats makes it worse!

Agypt2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Agypt2020

I like what you brought to the blog and totally agree with you on your choices for reboots. My only suggestion is have Marvel consultants on these movies, if not yourself. And do not compromise for the sake as you mentioned all audiences friendly. The comic book genre is not only just for kids, it is a industry created by adults and not everything should be PG-13.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Strider1992

@Agypt2020 said:

The comic book genre is not only just for kids, it is a industry created by adults and not everything should be PG-13.

I completely agree with this as I said in the post quite a few times. Compromising and trying to please everyone always kills a decent movie concept. Sometimes producers need to just bite the bullet and do it.

ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ogg927

You make a really good point. I hadn't heard/read Hellblazer so I knew nothing of the character. I actually enjoyed the movie, but if I was a fan of the comic, I would have been pissed off that a non-British actor was portraying him. Looking up, the inspiration was the singer Sting from the Police. I think Daniel Craig would have been perfect. My only gripe is that cigarette smoking is so last century.

I thought Elektra was OK. Jennifer Garner can act and kick butt. I didn't like the costume (she never wore pants in the comic). You're right, there were too many characters, the antagonist should have been the Hand and that's it. Make it more of a martial arts movie with a modern twist and it would have rocked.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I really wish they would reboot Ghost Rider and get rid of Nicolas Cage. Horrible Blaze.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Strider92 said:

@Agypt2020 said:

The comic book genre is not only just for kids, it is a industry created by adults and not everything should be PG-13.

I completely agree with this as I said in the post quite a few times. Compromising and trying to please everyone always kills a decent movie concept. Sometimes producers need to just bite the bullet and do it.

Yea, most of these films failed because even though they are comic book characters there not really the standard definition of a super hero and for some reason that completely baffles movie makers. Instead of making an action horror/crime film they try and make what they think a super hero film should be like and totally fail, this is one of the reasons why I think Blade was so successful, they had a clear aim for that film series and stuck with it.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Superdork

How is Green Lantern (2011) not first on this list?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JonSmith

@Gambit1024 said:

I'm with OP. I'd love to see someone try to defend any of those craptastic movies

I liked the Director's Cut of Daredevil. It told a more complete story, showed more of Matt's day to day life as a defense attorney (or lack thereof), him using his unique abilities to help said work, and altered or all out removed a few scenes that drastically changed some of the story beats for the better. Kingpin and Bullseye were both better established, the relationship between Electra and Matt showed Matt's tendency to be torn between Daredevil and those he cares about, etc. All around a significantly better movie than the theater version. The defense rests.

ON TOPIC, I agree with all of these, though I'd like to see Ben Affleck return as Matt Murdock. Preferably under a Marvel banner (which he should now that Marvel has his rights back, I believe).

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Billy Batson

@Strider92 said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Oh yeah I forgot that. They pronounced it Con-stan-teen instead of Con-stan-tyne lol.......thats makes it worse!

Late reply but...it's TINE!
BB

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

@JonSmith said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I liked the Director's Cut of Daredevil. It told a more complete story, showed more of Matt's day to day life as a defense attorney (or lack thereof), him using his unique abilities to help said work, and altered or all out removed a few scenes that drastically changed some of the story beats for the better. Kingpin and Bullseye were both better established, the relationship between Electra and Matt showed Matt's tendency to be torn between Daredevil and those he cares about, etc. All around a significantly better movie than the theater version. The defense rests.

ON TOPIC, I agree with all of these, though I'd like to see Ben Affleck return as Matt Murdock. Preferably under a Marvel banner (which he should now that Marvel has his rights back, I believe).

Oh, the Director's Cut was awesome, don't get me wrong. Unfortunately, that's not that one I paid to see in theaters, though.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xybernauts

@Strider92 said:

Why adapt a movie from a comic if you don’t even want to use the material provided. If you’re going to do that go make an original character of your own don’t take another and change it simply because you feel like it.

I agree totally. I hate when they studios do that.

• Hellblazer - I actually liked the Constantine movie, but only because I'm not familiar with the source material. If I did I might feel differently.
  • Spawn - To me that movie was bad even back in the 90's. Honeslty I never really sat down and watched it because the Special F/X were such a turn off. But this certainly needs a reboot. Spawn has a great story with blockbuster potential.
  • Ghost Rider - I'd only want to see a reboot if it was done by Marvel Studios. To me the Ghost Rider movie wasn't bad at all, but the Spirit Of Vengeance (SOV) movie was horrible. Yes the movie had great effects in relation to Ghost Rider's skull, but I didn't have any problems with the skull in the first movie so... But I really hated the bike in the sequel. The original bike from the first movie was way better. The one good thing about SOV was the scarier/grittier Ghost Rider. I agree that Cage's performance was scripted better. The his emotional conflict was interesting to watch.
  • Daredevil - I'd only want to see a reboot if it was done by Marvel Studios, but even then I don't really care to see a Daredevil movie so I'd have to disagree with this one. There are so many other Marvel based characters I'd prefer to see. The big screen Daredevil movie was horrible. To me the main problem was the ascetic of the character. Personally I remember watching The Incredible Hulk/Daredevil made for TV crossover movie back in the 80's. Daredevil's movie debut made a big impression on me. While mediocre by today's standards, back then he was awesome because he was one of the first portrayals of a rooftop jumping martial arts superhero. Basically he did what Batman does today except back then Batman had never portrayed those aspects of his character on screen so in relation to Daredevil it was a sight to see. By the time the blockbuster Daredevil movie came out, Batman pretty much dominated the rooftop jumping martial arts superhero niche. Even if not through live action movies, it has been portrayed ad nauseum in animation, etc. Daredevil simply paled in comparison to Batman and in relation to what we saw in the movie it seemed he had nothing pertinent to offer in terms of ascetic that helped to distinguish him from other similar heroes like Batman. Also, I think the movie was poorly cast, had poor costume design, and poor story, and poor direction. The movie was doomed to fail.
  • Nick Fury - I think Nick Fury movie is getting a reboot, but it's going to be a SHIELD movie as opposed to a Fury movie. If they did make an origin movie, Jackson should be in it, but he'd have to share the screen with a younger actor who'd portray the younger version of himself. Also, I'd like to see a movie with both the original Nick Fury and Fury Jr. (Jackson). I didn't really watch the made for TV Nick Fury movie with David Hasselhoff, I just fast forwarded through it. From what I could gather it was pretty mediocre, so yes, this really needs a reboot.
  • Elektra - Like, @ogg927: I actually really liked this movie. Can't see everyone's problem with it, but obviously it did do poorly so... Like Daredevil i really don't care to see a reboot of this movie. There are other Marvel characters I'd prefer to see. This character doesn't interest me that much. But i agree I'd like to see more good comic book movies with female leads.

I'd add that I think Green Lantern deserves a reboot and Dr. Strange (he had a made for TV movie back in the 70's which was horrible). And no I'm not that old, I d/l off the net. :)

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RScottH08

I've always thought Daniel Craig would be a perfect Constantine. Bettany would be cool too.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Spawn film reboot, something done with the feeling and tone of the animated series, which was awesome.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By YoungJustice

@Gambit1024 said:

We can have a good show with Cannon defending Spider-Man 3.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#19  Edited By TheCannon

@YoungJustice said:

@Gambit1024 said:

We can have a good show with Cannon defending Spider-Man 3.

-_-

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By xxxddd

@Strider92: Now you know why movies are non canon, they never follow the rules of comicbooks.