#1 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

I was surfing some comic encyclopedias and I came across this. Apparently, the seven most historically important comic characters are Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Plastic Man (huh?).

Do you agree with this list? Who would you put on yours?

#2 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Historically I would have to add Luke Cage and Black Panther.

#3 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't put Plastic Man or Captain Marvel. I'd switch them up with Hulk and Mr. Fantastic.

#4 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if I could squish the FF into one person then they would belong on that list, also someone of color. (who was the first?)

#5 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Buster says:

"I think if I could squish the FF into one person then they would belong on that list, also someone of color. (who was the first?)"

Black Panther.

#6 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Phantom was actually the first super-hero, then came Supes. I wonder why Phantom isn't as popular.

@EC: thanks.

#7 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"I wouldn't put Plastic Man or Captain Marvel. I'd switch them up with Hulk and Mr. Fantastic."

I agree. I don't see why those two are on the list. In their place I would put the Punisher because I believe he is the first character who made writers comfortable creating characters who killed without regret. I could be wrong, but I think that he was the first. You can see the difference in comics when comparing them before Punisher, and after his creation. You can see his influence on many characters created after him. Second, would definitely be the Phantom. I think he predates Batman as the first hero to wear the spandex/boots/mask look. He's arguably THE MOST influential character after Superman. If Batman came before him then I'm wrong.

#8 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Misty Knight (first black female Marvel)

Storm (first Kenyan/American in Marvel. But technically she's African. First display of an extremely powerful black woman.)

#9 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

White Mage says:

"Misty Knight (first black female Marvel) Storm (first Kenyan/American in Marvel. But technically she's African. First display of an extremely powerful black woman.) "

Black Panther was the first individual of African decent to ever be put in comics. Marvel brought him, Marvel was the first comicbook company to put alot of things.

@POHO: I think Spider-Man is the most influential character in comics because he technically, after his creation, that's when comic book characters started having personalities although the FF was the first team with a personality. Spidey broke down the barrier entirely imo, while the FF just hit on it.

#10 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Buster says:

"I think Phantom was actually the first super-hero, then came Supes. I wonder why Phantom isn't as popular.@EC: thanks."

I "first" often is not the most popular, when you think about it, anywhere in life. I think it was a just an oversight that Phantom was not listed.

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Lobo was the first black male hero too get his own comic.Not DC's Lobo though.

#12 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

POHOCOM says:

"Eternal Chaos says:
"I wouldn't put Plastic Man or Captain Marvel. I'd switch them up with Hulk and Mr. Fantastic."
I agree. I don't see why those two are on the list. In their place I would put the Punisher because I believe he is the first character who made writers comfortable creating characters who killed without regret. I could be wrong, but I think that he was the first. You can see the difference in comics when comparing them before Punisher, and after his creation. You can see his influence on many characters created after him. Second, would definitely be the Phantom. I think he predates Batman as the first hero to wear the spandex/boots/mask look. He's arguably THE MOST influential character after Superman. If Batman came before him then I'm wrong."

I think all of the characters listed apart from Spider-Man retained their popularity (if not their comic book status) through the dark days of the 1950's Macarthyism witch hunt. Spidey - as someone else has pointed out - gave characterisation to Super-heroes in a majorly new way. He was probably the first hero who didn't win every battle he fought outright, too. When you think about it, Mr Fantastic's powers are only an extension of Plastic Man's (plus Reed has a top brain of course).

#13 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

POHOCOM says:

"Super-Buster says:
"I think Phantom was actually the first super-hero, then came Supes. I wonder why Phantom isn't as popular.@EC: thanks."

I "first" often is not the most popular, when you think about it, anywhere in life. I think it was a just an oversight that Phantom was not listed."

True, I guess what I meant to say is why is Phantom not on that list? Isn't he technically the the father of all super-heroes?

EC says:

"I think Spider-Man is the most influential character in comics because he technically, after his creation, that's when comic book characters started having personalities although the FF was the first team with a personality. Spidey broke down the barrier entirely imo, while the FF just hit on it."

I disagree, I think it was the FF that first destroyed the barrier and allowed for characters like Spider-Man. Spidey is just popular and many people love him because so many people could relate to him as opposed to a group of people who took off in a rocket.

#14 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Mighty Thorion says:

"POHOCOM says:
"Eternal Chaos says:
I agree. I don't see why those two are on the list. In their place I would put the Punisher because I believe he is the first character who made writers comfortable creating characters who killed without regret. I could be wrong, but I think that he was the first. You can see the difference in comics when comparing them before Punisher, and after his creation. You can see his influence on many characters created after him. Second, would definitely be the Phantom. I think he predates Batman as the first hero to wear the spandex/boots/mask look. He's arguably THE MOST influential character after Superman. If Batman came before him then I'm wrong."

I think all of the characters listed apart from Spider-Man retained their popularity (if not their comic book status) through the dark days of the 1950's Macarthyism witch hunt. Spidey - as someone else has pointed out - gave characterisation to Super-heroes in a majorly new way. He was probably the first hero who didn't win every battle he fought outright, too. When you think about it, Mr Fantastic's powers are only an extension of Plastic Man's (plus Reed has a top brain of course).

"

"Retaining popularity" is different than being "historically significant". That is why I don't think Plastic man should be on that list.

#15 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"White Mage says:
"Misty Knight (first black female Marvel) Storm (first Kenyan/American in Marvel. But technically she's African. First display of an extremely powerful black woman.) "
Black Panther was the first individual of African decent to ever be put in comics. Marvel brought him, Marvel was the first comicbook company to put alot of things. @POHO: I think Spider-Man is the most influential character in comics because he technically, after his creation, that's when comic book characters started having personalities although the FF was the first team with a personality. Spidey broke down the barrier entirely imo, while the FF just hit on it."
Sorry, I should've emphasized this. As far as **FEMALES** go, Storm is a (if not **the**) first African female in Marvel.
#16 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Mighty Thorion says:

"POHOCOM says:
"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Eternal Chaos says:
I think all of the characters listed apart from Spider-Man retained their popularity (if not their comic book status) through the dark days of the 1950's Macarthyism witch hunt. Spidey - as someone else has pointed out - gave characterisation to Super-heroes in a majorly new way. He was probably the first hero who didn't win every battle he fought outright, too. When you think about it, Mr Fantastic's powers are only an extension of Plastic Man's (plus Reed has a top brain of course). "
"Retaining popularity" is different than being "historically significant". That is why I don't think Plastic man should be on that list."

Maybe he's on there because he was the first to display those stretchable powers? Who knows- did Stan, who worked in comics during the 40's when Plas was in his heydey - remember the character and decide to make Reed a modern day, brighter version? Maybe whoever made this list saw everyone on it as being influential in some way or other to those who followed?

"

Even if Plastic Man influenced Mr Fantastic, it doesn't compare to Phantom influencing BATMAN, and the whole spandex look worn by HUNDREDS of characters after him. Agree?

#17 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

POHOCOM says:

"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Eternal Chaos says:
I think all of the characters listed apart from Spider-Man retained their popularity (if not their comic book status) through the dark days of the 1950's Macarthyism witch hunt. Spidey - as someone else has pointed out - gave characterisation to Super-heroes in a majorly new way. He was probably the first hero who didn't win every battle he fought outright, too. When you think about it, Mr Fantastic's powers are only an extension of Plastic Man's (plus Reed has a top brain of course). "
"Retaining popularity" is different than being "historically significant". That is why I don't think Plastic man should be on that list."

Maybe he's on there because he was the first to display those stretchable powers? Who knows- did Stan, who worked in comics during the 40's when Plas was in his heydey - remember the character and decide to make Reed a modern day, brighter version? Maybe whoever made this list saw everyone on it as being influential in some way or other to those who followed?

#18 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

POHOCOM says:

"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Eternal Chaos says:
Maybe he's on there because he was the first to display those stretchable powers? Who knows- did Stan, who worked in comics during the 40's when Plas was in his heydey - remember the character and decide to make Reed a modern day, brighter version? Maybe whoever made this list saw everyone on it as being influential in some way or other to those who followed? "
Even if Plastic Man influenced Mr Fantastic, it doesn't compare to Phantom influencing BATMAN, and the whole spandex look worn by HUNDREDS of characters after him. Agree? "

Agreed. I once heard someone say that there was Superman and Batman and after that every hero created was somehow an off-shoot of one or the other. Whoever said that perhaps wasn't far wrong. Heck, why do you think Spider-man had a red and blue costume?

#19 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Buster says:

"True, I guess what I meant to say is why is Phantom not on that list? Isn't he technically the the father of all super-heroes? EC says:
"I think Spider-Man is the most influential character in comics because he technically, after his creation, that's when comic book characters started having personalities although the FF was the first team with a personality. Spidey broke down the barrier entirely imo, while the FF just hit on it."
I disagree, I think it was the FF that first destroyed the barrier and allowed for characters like Spider-Man. Spidey is just popular and many people love him because so many people could relate to him as opposed to a group of people who took off in a rocket."

But see, that's my point. Although the Fantastic Four in all reality started it, Spider-Man made it more popular and made comics much more mainstream as opposed to something to be somewhat ignored. That's why I said while the Fantastic Four beat up on the wall and broke the wall, Spider-Man tore it down (different wording, I know).

#20 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

POHOCOM says:

"Supes probably influenced the most characters in terms of superpowers, Batman inspired most of the "human level" heroes. I think punisher fits in there because he changed the "concept" of heroes being above killing. Where heroes killing before Frank Castle on a regular basis? "

Superman influenced color schemes, that's about it along with a few ideologies and pasts. Batman... honestly, I don't think Batman influenced anybody because there are no real heroes like Batman in the Marvel Universe while all the Robins and Nightwing are basically his "clones". Marvel influenced the industry itself by personalities and continuities.

#21 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Mighty Thorion says:

"POHOCOM says:
"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Eternal Chaos says:
Maybe he's on there because he was the first to display those stretchable powers? Who knows- did Stan, who worked in comics during the 40's when Plas was in his heydey - remember the character and decide to make Reed a modern day, brighter version? Maybe whoever made this list saw everyone on it as being influential in some way or other to those who followed? "
Even if Plastic Man influenced Mr Fantastic, it doesn't compare to Phantom influencing BATMAN, and the whole spandex look worn by HUNDREDS of characters after him. Agree? "

Agreed. I once heard someone say that there was Superman and Batman and after that every hero created was somehow an off-shoot of one or the other. Whoever said that perhaps wasn't far wrong. Heck, why do you think Spider-man had a red and blue costume?

"

Supes probably influenced the most characters in terms of superpowers, Batman inspired most of the "human level" heroes. I think punisher fits in there because he changed the "concept" of heroes being above killing. Where heroes killing before Frank Castle on a regular basis?

#22 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

POHOCOM says:

"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Mighty Thorion says:
"POHOCOM says:
"Eternal Chaos says:
Agreed. I once heard someone say that there was Superman and Batman and after that every hero created was somehow an off-shoot of one or the other. Whoever said that perhaps wasn't far wrong. Heck, why do you think Spider-man had a red and blue costume? "
Supes probably influenced the most characters in terms of superpowers, Batman inspired most of the "human level" heroes. I think punisher fits in there because he changed the "concept" of heroes being above killing. Where heroes killing before Frank Castle on a regular basis? "

No - certainly throughout the Silver Age DC heroes had a "non-killing" code which was often specifically referred to. Also, although not specifically pointed out, this appeared to be implicitly the case with Marvel heroes, too.

#23 Posted by Mighty Thorion (797 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how many heroes think it is okay to kill nowadays. Batman and Superman were incandescent with rage when Wonder Woman killed Maxwell Lord - even though she was only acting to save Batman's life. I think most heroes would only kill as a very last resort.

#24 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Punisher the guy who made it OK to kill you think? Or Wolverine?

#25 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Mighty Thorion says:

"I don't know how many heroes think it is okay to kill nowadays. Batman and Superman were incandescent with rage when Wonder Woman killed Maxwell Lord - even though she was only acting to save Batman's life. I think most heroes would only kill as a very last resort."

True, but there's the Authority, Wolverine, Warpath, Savage Dragon, Ultimate Avengers, Cable, Deadpool, Winter Soldier, and others who don't always wait for the last resort. I think Punisher introduced the new attitude that "killing isn't only for bad guys". I remember when characters never killed, even as a last resort.

#26 Posted by rey of darkness (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Should Captain America really be on there, don't get me wrong he's one of my top favorite heroes. But he doesn't really break the mold in anyway.

#27 Posted by POHOCOM (807 posts) - - Show Bio

rey of darkness says:

"Should Captain America really be on there, don't get me wrong he's one of my top favorite heroes. But he doesn't really break the mold in anyway."

I was thinking the same thing. I would put Submariner up there before Cap.

#28 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"Super-Buster says:
"True, I guess what I meant to say is why is Phantom not on that list? Isn't he technically the the father of all super-heroes? EC says:
I disagree, I think it was the FF that first destroyed the barrier and allowed for characters like Spider-Man. Spidey is just popular and many people love him because so many people could relate to him as opposed to a group of people who took off in a rocket."

But see, that's my point. Although the Fantastic Four in all reality started it, Spider-Man made it more popular and made comics much more mainstream as opposed to something to be somewhat ignored. That's why I said while the Fantastic Four beat up on the wall and broke the wall, Spider-Man tore it down (different wording, I know)."

Hmm... I believe Spider-Man should be part of the significant 7 but not because he broke down the barrier of personality, FF did that, and they were popular enough in their own right to tear it down, Spider-Man may have helped (a lot), but I don't think that's what he'll go down for. Spider-Man is famous for other things like having characters that stayed dead and being the first teenage super-hero that wasn't a sidekick, not to mention the sheer popularity of the guy, I think he will go down as the first character that was successful in connecting to his readers because of his every-man personality, or at least the most successful. I believe there's a small difference between what FF did and what Spidey did, but its there.

#29 Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi! (27638 posts) - - Show Bio

take out plastic man, captain marvel....PUT IN...Hulk...and either Thor or Iron Man

#30 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman,Batman,Wonder Woman,Spider man and Cap

#31 Posted by silli bill (236 posts) - - Show Bio

JOKER

#32 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#33 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

i want to give credit to black panther,the frist and the most popualr balck heroes.i say that is significant

#34 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd throw the phantom in there, he is pretty old school and was one of the first powerless super heroes.

#35 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... If I had a list I think it would be this:

WW

Supes

Bats

Spidey

FF

Black Panther

Wolverine

Another thing we could do in this thread is discuss the single most important super-hero (My vote goes to Supes)

#36 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

if I made the list I would have put

Superman-Come on, who knows who is the phantom? you say superman and everyone knows who you are talking about. Phantom may have been the first but Superman was the one that defined the word "superhero". That without counting that almost (if not all) comic company has Superman clones

Batman-The opposite of Superman, yet he influenced as much as him. Everyone knows Batman and come on, even if it was one time when we were kids we all thought that it would be cool to be him. First, the coolest but not the last human character, without him a lot of characters wouldn't be there.

Robin-The first sidekick, without him many people wouldn't have read comics. Thanks to him companies create sidekicks that become great supporting cast members (sometimes) and that atract young readers to read comics, letting the comic business continue.

Spider-man-Love him or hate him (like me) he has been a great influence in comics.

Punisher-If he was the first anti-hero then it's thanks to him that we have so many "grey" characters

Wonderwoman-The first superheroine, without her we would still think that the superheroes are gay :P

Black Panther-The first black superhero

#37 Posted by Midnight Lantern (6011 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Buster says:

"I was surfing some comic encyclopedias and I came across this. Apparently, the seven most historically important comic characters are Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Plastic Man (huh?). Do you agree with this list? Who would you put on yours?"

I would replace Plastic Man with Ghost Rider.

#38 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

White Mage says:

"T.J. Magnum says:
"i want to give credit to black panther,the frist and the most popualr balck heroes.i say that is significant"
Debatable. "

how ?

#39 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

T.J. Magnum says:

"i want to give credit to black panther,the frist and the most popualr balck heroes.i say that is significant"
Debatable.
#40 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

White Mage says:

"T.J. Magnum says:
"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
Debatable. "
how ?"
Well, he's without a doubt, the first African superhero. But I don't know if he's the most popular. Storm appears to be rather up there. Even Joe Quesada said somethin about her. "

thats true,but he was the first and thats a big part of comic history.

#41 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Buster says:

"Hmm... If I had a list I think it would be this:WWSupesBatsSpideyFFBlack PantherWolverineAnother thing we could do in this thread is discuss the *single* most important super-hero (My vote goes to Supes)"

Actually, I would like to change out Wolvy for... Robin.

#42 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

T.J. Magnum says:

"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
Debatable. "
how ?"
Well, he's without a doubt, the first African superhero. But I don't know if he's the most popular. Storm appears to be rather up there. Even Joe Quesada said somethin about her.
#43 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

T.J. Magnum says:

"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
Debatable. "
how ?"
Well, he's without a doubt, the first African superhero. But I don't know if he's the most popular. Storm appears to be rather up there. Even Joe Quesada said somethin about her. "
thats true,but he was the first and thats a big part of comic history."
Definitely. First black, and African? He needs to be there. That can't be argued with. But I think him and Storm should be up there. She's the first **African** female with unbelievable power, and who started out as a leader.
#44 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

White Mage says:

"T.J. Magnum says:
"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
Debatable. "
how ?"
Definitely. First black, and African? He needs to be there. That can't be argued with. But I think him and Storm should be up there. She's the first **African** female with unbelievable power, and who started out as a leader. "

true and also the first major black couple in comics

#45 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

T.J. Magnum says:

"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
"White Mage says:
"T.J. Magnum says:
Debatable. "
how ?"
Definitely. First black, and African? He needs to be there. That can't be argued with. But I think him and Storm should be up there. She's the first **African** female with unbelievable power, and who started out as a leader. "
true and also the first major black couple in comics"
That too.