#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio

Now hold on before I'm burned at the stake for bring a heretic, I'm not saying that Rorschach and Co should be incorporated in to the main DC Universe but how about a team comprising of the modern day versions of the original characters Moore based his characters off of so instead of having the Comedian, Rorschach, Dr Manhattan, Silk Spectre, Night Owl ect we would have the Guardian, the Question, Captain Atom, Phantom Lady, Blue Beetle ect. I think this would be a good way to shine a spotlight on the less used characters while also capitalizing on the Watchmen brand without sullying it's name also it's a good homage to the original team Sentinels of Justice. So what do you think?

#2 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't want to read spin-off characters from the Watchmen.I care'd more about the main cast but they're all gone and finshed.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@moywar700: These aren't spin off characters, they are the originals 
#4 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

The first watchmen chacters weren't the main cast.If they were to get their own title,it would be consider a spin-off.

#5 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@moywar700 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

The first watchmen chacters weren't the main cast.If they were to get their own title,it would be consider a spin-off.

Huh? I'm confused. Books about Dollar Bill are spin off's, this is a book about the characters Alan Moore wanted to use but wasn't aloud to so he based new characters off them hence Rorschach/The Question, Dr Manhattan/Captain Atom, Night Owl/Blue Beetle ect
#6 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer dc reboot Watchmen into the main earth. I like to see Ozymandias vs Batman, Dr Manhattan vs Superman, etc. Currently, dc has lost the rights to Peter Cannon Thunderbolt who is being published by another company.

#7 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@colonyofcells: oh no, I don't think that would be a good idea at all
#8 Posted by InnerAssassin (308 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: Is Dr. M really dead? In the movie at the end did he really die? How can he die?

#9 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by InnerAssassin (308 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

@InnerAssassin said:

@moywar700: Is Dr. M really dead? In the movie at the end did he really die? How can he die?

he left left earth and went to a different world. he didn't die

Okay thaank you cuz the movie kinda made it seem like he killed hisself.

#11 Posted by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio

{Resisting urge to talk about Watchmen}

So...um...why don't you guys have a wiki page for Multiversity?

I'm just going to assume that it's got something to do with the style guide around here.

So yeah Multiversity is basically all those characters in a separate continuity coming together to form Grant Morrison's version of the DC universe.

#12 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't be TOTALLY against the idea, as long as they had a good writer who wouldn't crap all over the material.

#13 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5870 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see it and the interrections between Watchmen and DCnU universe, but out of respect for Alan moore, I think they should just leave the watchmen alone.

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@MadeinBangladesh: well that's the thing, this book wouldn't really have anything to do with the book Moore wrote but it will feature that characters he based them of off
#15 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@colonyofcells: oh no, I don't think that would be a good idea at all

Unless you want Alan Moore to die from a Heart Attack, Don't do it.

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (80712 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#17 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#18 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

@MadeinBangladesh said:

I would love to see it and the interrections between Watchmen and DCnU universe, but out of respect for Alan moore, I think they should just leave the watchmen alone.

I love Moore, but he needs to stop complaining and start producing. I heard DC offered him the rights back if he just wrote some prequels. Any further use of his characters is kinda his fault. If Marvel offered Kirby a similar deal he would have jumped on it in a heart beat.

#19 Posted by tea8765 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

I prefer dc reboot Watchmen into the main earth. I like to see Ozymandias vs Batman, Dr Manhattan vs Superman, etc. Currently, dc has lost the rights to Peter Cannon Thunderbolt who is being published by another company.

I would rather not see that either, maybe you could take that up on the fan fiction forum. Far be it from me to censor but no that doesn't sound good to me.

#20 Posted by tea8765 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerAssassin said:

@moywar700 said:

@InnerAssassin said:

he left left earth and went to a different world. he didn't die

Okay thaank you cuz the movie kinda made it seem like he killed hisself.

Ya what I take from the movie and the book he left earth to find a another home he even alluded to the idea he would "create" some life of his own, so he really is a god out there somewhere....

....pinche bad ass

#21 Posted by SoA (4678 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd like to see the early adventures of the minutemen and watchmen, before the corruption and betrayal

#22 Posted by tea8765 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say no, just an emphatic no to the idea of bringing back the original watchmen, I really don't even think the prequels are right (but yes I admit I am going to read them) But watchmen inspired characters in the present day watchmen universe. I think that would be interesting.

#23 Posted by Sharkbite (291 posts) - - Show Bio

A large part of the Watchmen story is actually the Watchmen in relation to the rest of the world. For example, what makes Dr Manhattan so important is that he is the first and only superpowered human.

Guys like Rorschach, Nite Owl II, and Silk Spectre II are possessed of a key element that their vigilante activity is highly illegal and that the government formally denounces superheroes. How do we reconcile that with a world where Superman is a worldwide symbol of hope and heroism and where Flash gets a museum dedicated to his accomplishments?

To run with a team made up of the original Charlton characters could be done, yes, but it would lose the entire feel of Watchmen by placing it into the DC Universe where superheroes are accepted and celebrated instead of feared and outlawed, the characters won't be able to act or develop even remotely similar to their Watchmen counterparts.

I'm all for more Watchmen stuff; I've been loving the Before Watchmen series and I could totally sub myself up for a Rorschach, Nite Owl II, Comedian, and Minutemen ongoing titles (Silk Spectre, I did not enjoy the writing or the art). But rebooting the team as the Charlton originals wouldn't do much for me to play off of Watchmen, because it wouldn't be anything like Watchmen.

#24 Posted by JediXMan (29295 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Just... just no. That's a terrible idea.

#25 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

yes.

#26 Posted by BR_Havoc (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly the way I feel is DC should of never brought back the Watchmen. It was a story that was self contained and was great for its time. By doing all these before Watchmen story lines all you did was cheapen how good the original storyline was. If Dc honestly thinks that well maybe this is the right time to add all of the characters or there legacy to the DCn52 then they are crazy. I mean do you want V to be added to the Batman universe? or do you think it would cheapen the V for Vendetta book?

#27 Posted by Joygirl (18136 posts) - - Show Bio

I think like 10% of the people here get exactly what the OP means... yeah, it could be a decent idea.

#28 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc has tried something like sentinels of justice in Justice League Quarterly before and they still had the rights to Peter Cannon Thuderbolt at that time. DC also did a limited series Law which did not include Peter Cannon Thunderbolt bec dc lost the rights to the character Peter Cannon. In the New 52, Captain Atom was inspired by Dr Manhattan. In the New 52, we have Blue Beetle Jaime Reyes who is now more of a space hero in Threshold, Question is now related to the Trinity of Sin and Circle of Eternity, and Sarge Steel is in Checkmate. For a group like watchmen on the main earth, the most likely leader could be Captain Atom or Question. Hopefully, dc can get back the rights to Peter Cannon Thunderbolt who can help form a group similar to Watchmen. I do think it is much easier to just reboot the real Watchmen into the main earth bec. I am a fan of Ozymandias and would like to see Ozymandias more often in the dc main earth interacting with the dc super heroes. Silk Spectre on the main earth can also be used to compete with Marvel's Black Widow. Even Rorchach and Comedian would make interesting Batman villains.

#29 Posted by chalkshark (1180 posts) - - Show Bio

The only reason these characters are always being thrown together is because they all originated with the same publisher. Every time DC has built a team around them, it's seemed a bit forced. The Question, for me, is always going to work best as a solo character. That said, I'm all for any exposure characters with this much potential get. I don't dismiss the notion that the right writer could make the idea work. The question is... does DC actually have that writer?

#30 Posted by Onemoreposter (3869 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: I think a show in this format is something we can all get behind

#31 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe have the Watchmen cartoon right after the Justice League cartoon.

#32 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: Why not?
#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@tea8765: It isn't Watchmen inspired characters, it's the other way round. 

@Sharkbite: Your misinterpreting my meaning, I wasn't suggesting telling the same story or even the same type of story as the Watchmen comic but just reinstating the original Charlton team  

@JediXMan Why do you think so?

@BR_Havoc: Read the OP again, that's not what I'm talking about 

@Joygirl: Yea I know, this is getting hard work trying to make pepole understand what I'm talking about 

@colonyofcells: I doubt DC would get the rights back to Cannon, Dynamite have been putting out his book regularly 
#34 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

No.

#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

No.

are you going to elaborate on that?
#36 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

No.

are you going to elaborate on that?

@JediXMan said:

No. Just... just no. That's a terrible idea.

#37 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: did you even read the OP?
#38 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Might as well, they've already sullied the crap out of the Watchmen name anyway.    Might as well squeeze a few more dollars out of the franchise while people still care about it.

#39 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Yes.

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: so "no, just coz" then, got it.
#41 Posted by Yz (20 posts) - - Show Bio

ITT: Nobody reads the OP.

It's not an awful idea except its giving Watchmen too much credit, several of the characters that would be in this book would actually be demoted in the relevance they worked hard to gain themselves. Captain Atom, The Question and Blue Beetle all became standout DC characters in their own right (sure B list at best but a book like this would relegate them to C listers).

Plus, the problem with this is the Watchmen wasn't about a team of superheroes so just grabbing the characters that were meant to be in that book and making them into an actual team, you would lose the entire spirit of the Watchmen. Characters like The Question/Rorschach aren't interesting in a team format.

#42 Posted by BR_Havoc (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood said:

@MadeinBangladesh said:

I love Moore, but he needs to stop complaining and start producing. I heard DC offered him the rights back if he just wrote some prequels. Any further use of his characters is kinda his fault. If Marvel offered Kirby a similar deal he would have jumped on it in a heart beat.

There is a difference you have to understand Moore is the type of writer that once he is done with a story he created feels it should be finished. That it is self contained in his writing so him seeing all these mini series and things like that is an insult to him. I understand why he would never want to write these prequels and I feel much the same that the Watchmen should of been left alone there story was told in the original mini series.

@Jonny_Anonymous: I see my mistake. Honestly I do not think it would be a good idea, I think if DC did that what would happen is a lesser writer would end up doing it and it would keep these lesser characters in the same place they have always been. Also I think many older comic fans would think of it as mocking the Watchmen not honoring it.

#43 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yz: Yea but the team that inspired Moore to do Watchmen was the Sentinels of Justice and it's roster was The Question, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom and Nightshade but I can't see that book ever lasting long without some kind of hook. 

@BR_Havoc: I can see where your coming from I just think the Watchmen seem to get all the credit while the original characters are mostly ignored.
#44 Posted by BR_Havoc (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Yz: Yea but the team that inspired Moore to do Watchmen was the Sentinels of Justice and it's roster was The Question, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom and Nightshade but I can't see that book ever lasting long without some kind of hook.

@BR_Havoc: I can see where your coming from I just think the Watchmen seem to get all the credit while the original characters are mostly ignored.

I think the largest problem is that DC doesn't respect the characters enough. I mean they will give books like Blue Beetle and Captain Atom lesser writers that will not draw in the fans they need to keep the book going. If they want to show these character to a bigger audience they need give there book to an A rated artist or writer to draw in the crowd.

#45 Edited by The_Tree (7076 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd certainly check it out. I do love me some Vic Sage, Captain Atom, and Ted Kord.

#46 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Comedian was partly based on Peacemaker and I think Peacemaker has not yet appeared in New 52. I am ok with dc doing a team title called Sentinels consisting of illegal vigilantes willing to sacrifice humans to save more humans. There are many geniuses like Ozymandias, Ras Al Ghul and even Leonardo da vinci who worked as a weapons engineer with maybe the hidden purpose of reducing the human overpopulation.

#47 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio
@colonyofcells: he was also partly based on the Shield 
#48 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Wikipedia says comedian was also partly based on Nick Fury. DC needs more team books to compete with marvel and I think Sentinels acting like Watchmen can be a good team title. Who are the sentinels for the sentinels ? While waiting for Peter Cannon to come back to dc, possible leaders for the Sentinels can be Michael Holt, Ras Al Ghul or Lex Luthor.

#49 Posted by Sharkbite (291 posts) - - Show Bio

If this Sentinels title featured Lex Luthor, I would subscribe in advance and write a letter for the monthly column at the back of every issue.

The idea of tacking Ted Kord with Vic Sage is less than ideal for me though. If we're going to get back the Ted Blue Beetle, then there's only one man who belongs as his partner, and it's not the Question.

Blue and Gold, baby. Blue and Gold.

#50 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32212 posts) - - Show Bio

bump