should superman be black

woundermangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll should superman be black (215 votes)

black superman 15%
white superman 62%
both 22%

#413 Posted by BeaconofStrength (1129 posts) - 11 minutes, 50 seconds ago - Show Bio

@woundermangirl: An already established gay character, even a less popular character. Superman is DC's flagship and has always been straight, there is no reason to change it. I don't like big end characters being changed for diversities sake. I'm Mexican, and I would be annoyed if they changed Captain America to be Mexican just for the sake of diversity.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/should-superman-be-gay-1483697/?messageId=11819649&page=9#js-message-415

ok so i am talking to this person should superman be gay he said no becouse (I don't like big end characters being changed for diversities sake. I'm Mexican)

how would this be any differnt that black superman and gay superman

• 
Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bahaha this racial pandering/ race swapping BS is getting wayyyy out of hand ( this is coming from someone who's part black, granted a smaller part than you'd expect, grandfather ). No, just no. Minorities are largely indifferent, or thoughtfully disagree and you pretty much only serve to tarnish established fans views. Honestly, a reboot is a prime opportunity to explore new characters. Why are writers so gd lazy, are they not given such liberties? Anyway, DC has a billion AU's so it's fine if not largely forgettable. But if you do that in the mainstream, you can kiss profitability good bye ( and with valid reason )... I'm looking at you Wally West ( I mean atleast change the damn first name haha )

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, there is no reason to change a character to black or Mexican when they're already liked the way they are.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BeaconofStrength

Why was I tagged in this?

@experio said:

No, there is no reason to change a character to black or Mexican when they're already liked the way they are.

Also this.

woundermangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By woundermangirl

@beaconofstrength: dc comic have all ready changed superman this only shows how much hate there is the world

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I completely agree with @beaconofstrength.

Also, if Superman WAS changed and became gay, that would completely rule out the entire purpose of existence for characters like Lois Lane and Lana Lang as they were created FOR Clark's love life. (Though I will say Lana's purpose did change in Post-Crisis eventually)

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

The two issues which which feature Calvin Ellis (the black Superman of Earth-23 shown above) are both among my favorite issues to feature Superman of all time (Final Crisis #7 and Action Comics #9). That said, Superman is the most iconic character in all of popular culture; any changes to his established image, whether to his costume or haircut or skin color, should be in conformity with that established look and not divergent from it. That's why I love the jeans and t-shirt suit but loathe with every fiber of my being the New 52 armor. While both are novel, the first communicates the established personality of the character, as well or perhaps even better than the classic costume, but the armor is a decisive break with tradition made in order to modernize the character, or rather to conform him to modern sensibilities.

woundermangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By woundermangirl

Also, if Superman WAS changed and became gay, that would completely rule out the entire purpose of existence for characters like Lois Lane and Lana Lang as they were created FOR Clark's love life. (Though I will say Lana's purpose did change in Post-Crisis eventually)

if you read what i posted superman is biesexual and would still date lois and jimmy

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He already is black...

On Earth 23.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think DC should focus on bringing black superheroes like Icon into popularity. Like they've done for Cyborg.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@woundermangirl: That's not the Superman I was talking about; I was talking about the normal flagship Superman. It's an alternate earth Superman, and I'm fine with him being black. Don't say how hateful I am because I don't I agree with your opinions; go complain to your Tumblr hugbox about how every character ever should appeal to you.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rogueshadow  Moderator

Oh God...

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kidchipotle

@arturocalakayvee said:

if you read what i posted superman is biesexual and would still date lois and jimmy

The idea is still stupid.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

IDC just as long as the story is good. But they original superman was white so might as well let it be.

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@woundermangirl: Clearly the valid claims against this kind of action have escaped you. I stand by my general position, DO NOT MESS WITH THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS, take liberties in different universes if you're too lazy develop new heroes ( as they did in this instance ). As someone who's biracial, I find such accommodations disgraceful. It's like turning Jesus solid black for the sake of drawing demographic tithes or something, and he had feats much less impressive than Supes.

Anyway, don't immediately identify the resistance towards the racial shifts as hate its own sake.

woundermangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By woundermangirl
woundermangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By woundermangirl

@oosupermanthathoeoo said:

@woundermangirl: Clearly the valid claims against this kind of action have escaped you. I stand by my general position, DO NOT MESS WITH THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS, take liberties in different universes if you're too lazy develop new heroes ( as they did in this instance ). As someone who's biracial, I find such accommodations disgraceful. It's like turning Jesus solid black for the sake of drawing demographic tithes or something, and he had feats much less impressive than Supes.

Anyway, don't immediately identify the resistance towards the racial shifts as hate its own sake.

it is clear hate what is more racest than this

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. It's better to create new minority characters. I don't think other characters like Val-Zod should have the name "Superman".

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@experio said:

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I anticipate this thread getting red hot in no time.

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@woundermangirl: If I'm understanding your reply correctly, you're clearly a TROLL, and a dumb one at that. You do realize I'm just going to derail your threads from now on. But honestly, I don't know what to think since your posts are borderline unintelligible. Take the time to post, please. As for your gripes against the above, he just respects the source material and identifies with characters in their common iterations.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus created the universe. When did Superman ever do something that impressive?

Avatar image for scifi_superstar
scifi_superstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the button on my answer is not working but I vote -

Superman should be White

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnyz256: No, that would be the christian god, Jesus is really just a manifestation of his will. Supes has better durability feats ( clearly ) and has participated in infinitely more exotic adventures. Actually Superboy through to Prime all have feats more awe inspiring.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnyz256: DUDE, he didn't own his power or authority it was given to him, he's the son of man (of the flesh), and wasn't even sent as a benefit to mankind widespread, it was targeted ( and a very small subset of humanity at that ). It's psuedo modern interpretation, really more of a cliche. He never had the power of God, he acted as God's agent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care. New 52 superman is already indubitably screwed up.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@woundermangirl said:

@oosupermanthathoeoo said: @woundermangirl: Clearly the valid claims against this kind of action have escaped you. I stand by my general position, DO NOT MESS WITH THE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS, take liberties in different universes if you're too lazy develop new heroes ( as they did in this instance ). As someone who's biracial, I find such accommodations disgraceful. It's like turning Jesus solid black for the sake of drawing demographic tithes or something, and he had feats much less impressive than Supes.

it is clear hate what is more racest than this

Racism requires a belief that race is the sole determination of human traits and abilities and that racial differences somehow crat an inherent superiority of a particular race and it also requires prejudice and discrimination.

When did he display any of that? This coming from a black man I do not want Superman to be black.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oosupermanthathoeoo: Where does it say in the Bible that Christ's authority was given to Him? It does say that Christ was the Word, and the Word was God (John 1). Christ is also the Son of God.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In an alternated universe, why not.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for mistresssobeautiful
mistresssobeautiful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnyz256: He acknowledges it in John. For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me,he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

BACK ON TOPIC THOUGH. On subject of a black mainstay, mainstream superman especially to remain a subject of canon...

No Caption Provided

I'm willing to guess that roughly half of the black primary fans are supes haters, that's probably a bit conservative.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Earth 2 so...why not make him different than his New Earth counterpart?

@oosupermanthathoeoo That makes no sense why would we hate Superman?

oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: I've already stated in this thread that I'm fine with it being contained to other worlds. I didn't say all primary black voters, but undoubtedly many. There is an option for both, and any respectful Superman fan would more likely opt into that choice. I did vote white, because I don't see value in race swapping. But I'm generally fine with a black kryptonian on earth. The wally west thing..different ball game. He was perfect, and represented the ginger demo'.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Captain13
No Caption Provided

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both as in two Supermans or as in an ethnically mixed Superman?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41  Edited By SC  Moderator

@woundermangirl said:

you stuped

Posters can say when they find an idea stupid, posters however can't refer to each other as stupid. If you can not articulate a better reply, then please do not make a reply at all. You also have to be careful when addressing other users, not all of them are going to be bigots just because they have different preferences with fictional characters.

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, you're clearly a TROLL, and a dumb one at that. You do realize I'm just going to derail your threads from now on. But honestly, I don't know what to think since your posts are borderline unintelligible. Take the time to post, please. As for your gripes against the above, he just respects the source material and identifies with characters in their common iterations.

Bad idea that will just get you both banned. If you suspect a user of being a troll, alert a moderator, flag the user and ignore the user and definitely do not insult the user. Even if they are insulting users, they will be warned or banned, if they are on topic, civil and just posting 'controversial' material, well then it may depend. Thanks.

Avatar image for scifi_superstar
scifi_superstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By scifi_superstar

I don't like the idea of a black superman, because 90 percent of the population is white and 10 percent is black. Earth2 readers is going to increase the readership amongst blacks but lower the readership amongst whites who make up the majority of readers. This of coarse is made under the assumption that white people dislike the idea of a black superman which this poll is reflecti g.

Ofcoarse, there is going to be those who care about earth 2 but do not care for a black superman however will continue toughing it out and read the series just to get the story. DC Comics F##### them over the most.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are already black versions of Superman, unless you mean making the mainstream Superman black. As someone who's black I don't see what purpose it would serve.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Jphu8414
No Caption Provided

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the idea of a black superman on Earth 2, but they should not change the regular superman/ Clark Kent to being black.

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He should be Asian.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman's an alien and that's all that matters...