#1 Edited by SOG7dc (8093 posts) - - Show Bio

Or should one e superior to the other? I ask because of two threads I've been involved in where users discussed ideal limits for each hero respectively. Ones an Asgardian god of thunder and the other is a Kryptonian alien powered by the sun. Again I AM ASKING IF YOU THINK THEY SHOULD BE EQUALS. NOT IF YOU THINK THEY ARE EQUALS.

***EDIT***: ok I am NOT asking if you feel writers should be aware of each other and write their characters accordingly. I was recently involved in two threads discussing the ideal power levels for each character. A few people say character a Supes should be weaker than Thor and others say te opposite. I'm asking you if you think upon the basis of the characters if you think they should be equals or if one should be superior.

#2 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I don't think so. As much as it pains me to say it, I honestly think Thor should be quite superior to Superman. As in, have more physical strength and durability than Superman. Speed? Not necessarily. Thor does have a lot of divine might coming from Mjolnir, so that helps tip the scales to begin with.

#3 Edited by patrat18 (10837 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Supes is superior and that's that.

#4 Posted by Stormultt (5227 posts) - - Show Bio

No and they aren't.

Thor>

#5 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

Why should they be they aren't even from the same company.

#6 Posted by SOG7dc (8093 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#7 Posted by Z3RO180 (6709 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor should be ever so slightly stronger and more durable than Supes because of him also being half elder god and Supes should be ever so much faster than him in flying.

#8 Posted by Jonez120 (5151 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally think they should give Thor a downgrade. It's like why does he even need The Avengers? Superman is in a group with people who physically match him for the most part, Thor usually isn't. So no, I think they shouldn't be equals.

#9 Posted by reaverlation (17064 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep them as they are

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (45578 posts) - - Show Bio

Would probably stop all the Thor vs Superman flame wars.

#11 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

No and they aren't.

Thor>

@z3ro180 said:

Thor should be ever so slightly stronger and more durable than Supes because of him also being half elder god and Supes should be ever so much faster than him in flying.

#12 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120: Every group needs a strongest member.

#13 Edited by dagmar_merrill (10264 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#14 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (7039 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by Experio (17159 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont believe them to be equal, Thor is overally superior IMO. They both rival each other in terms of durability and strength, and while speed goes to Superman, power(as well as Versality including Mjolnir) goes to Thor.

So Thor is superior to Clark the same way power is superior to speed.

Unless you have speed as power like Flash.

#16 Posted by JediXMan (31289 posts) - - Show Bio

They shouldn't be measured against one another. The writers shouldn't be trying to compare powerlevels across universes.

In short: writers are not there to intentionally make characters stronger so they can compete in battle forums.

#17 Edited by RetconCrisis (4532 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Thor > Superman

One is a god, while the other is a super powered being who does not wish to be viewed as a god

Thor has unlocked his full potential, but Superman's morals and self-mentality holds his full abilities back.

Also, Thor's more versatile, so he should rank higher above Supes anyway.

And also, as stated above me, writers do not give characters high end feats so they can be pitted against each other...

#18 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8933 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

They shouldn't be measured against one another. The writers shouldn't be trying to compare powerlevels across universes.

In short: writers are not there to intentionally make characters stronger so they can compete in battle forums.

Greatest. Post. Ever.

They are written how the writer wants them to be. That's it. They don't write a character to be compared to another, they write the character to tell his/her story.

Kudos to you JediXMan

#19 Posted by SOG7dc (8093 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Greatest. Post. Ever.

They are written how the writer wants them to be. That's it. They don't write a character to be compared to another, they write the character to tell his/her story.

Kudos to you JediXMan

@sog7dc said:

Or should one e superior to the other? I ask because of two threads I've been involved in where users discussed ideal limits for each hero respectively. Ones an Asgardian god of thunder and the other is a Kryptonian alien powered by the sun. Again I AM ASKING IF YOU THINK THEY SHOULD BE EQUALS. NOT IF YOU THINK THEY ARE EQUALS.

#20 Edited by GraniteSoldier (8933 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: I get what your asking, and I'm saying I think it doesn't matter. I think that the characters should be written to make a good story. You asked for an opinion, and I gave mine. I don't read stories in terms of comparing them to other characters.

#21 Posted by lesterlawton (905 posts) - - Show Bio

No, they shouldn't. Thor has MANY more years of combat experience than Supes. Really, it shouldn't be even remotely close.

#22 Posted by JediXMan (31289 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:
@sog7dc said:

And that's applicable to what I said. The writers shouldn't care whether their character is stronger or weaker compared to a character from another company. Focus only on the universe you work on.

#23 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18949 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly what's been said. Writers could give a f*ck about nerds on battle forums.

#24 Edited by Lvenger (21195 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

QFT, the most accurate and valid post on this thread yet.

(But realistically Superman is obviously superior to Thor in versatility and physical stats :P)

#25 Posted by Jhaigo (223 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that the writers should just continue as they are.

#26 Edited by SOG7dc (8093 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh I'm not asking if writers should change what they do to level the playing field. That's my fault. I worded the OP incorrectly.... Il change it later

#27 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3628 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they are both different and the rules of each respective characters' universes are different enough that the point is rather moot.

#28 Edited by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

No they shouldn't .

#29 Posted by TheDarkDaredevil (554 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedarkdaredevil:

Because no one is exactly equal to anyone else (not even twins) so making them equal would seem forced.

Let us fans opine about who is superior and in which ways.

#31 Posted by ColaNicole (610 posts) - - Show Bio

In ways, yes. Other ways, no. It should never really matter, but that being said Superman did beat him. It's clutching at straws but it's enough.

#32 Edited by TheDarkDaredevil (554 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: Hmm you are right

okay then do as you wish

#33 Posted by Farkam (5275 posts) - - Show Bio

No, with a Supes lean.

#34 Edited by McHotcakes (583 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

#35 Posted by SOG7dc (8093 posts) - - Show Bio

Edited OP

#36 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Should a god, worshipped for many many years and still worshiped today, with his own day of the week (Thursday), the son of the mighty Zeus, able to traverse time and dimensions, pretty much Indistructable... Be comparable with some alien from a normal planet who just happens to have evolved some weird ass powers...

I dunno, I guess for me Superman is like Dr Who or the Q continuum, an alien from a race of beings that somehow evolved god like powers...

In the comics Thor is the same, so yeah he should be at the same power level...

In mythology and religion, Thor is more like Jesus or Ganesha and should be much more powerful then anyone from a mortal realm...

So as a Brit who doesn't understand why Europeans still follow Christianity now we are no longer beaten or put to death for not doing so. I see Thor as a reasonable deity to worship, so in respect for all those that do worship Thor as a god he should stomp Superman, otherwise it's religious intolerance and superman should be shown beating up Jesus for equality.

#37 Posted by SheenLantern (6902 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is on a higher level and is more powerful.

Though Superman would still win in a fight.

#38 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22973 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes >>>>> Thor. Its a fact.

#39 Posted by indestructibleT800 (1551 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by MonsterStomp (20383 posts) - - Show Bio

After trying to type four different sentences explaining my thoughts, I give up.

#41 Edited by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: Touché, but both are still worshiped in Europe anyway,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6283907.stm

And Odinism is still worshiped even in the UK, I have friends who are and I went to their wedding, it was awesome, before then I had no idea how many structures still exist in England hidden away in forests and countryside.

Personally I don't follow any religion, I believe all gods are manifestations of the god that exists inside all of us, that we are reborn until our god reaches enlightenment and transcends to a a heaven much like the Norse Hel.

I study a lot of texts having started with the forgotten Gospels and the Wars between Christianity and Europe, the way Druidic beliefs were not tolerated and the might of The Roman Empire pretty much secured Christianity by force.

I do wish I knew more about ancient British religions, stone henge might make more sense then

http://www.romansonline.com/Src_Frame.asp?DocID=Dbg_Bk06_14&Lat=

Anyway please forgive my Zeus / Odin mix up, both should share the same respect as any other worshipped god in comics and it upsets me when threads are closed for mentioning Jesus but people can slag off Thor on forums with no repercussions.

#43 Posted by The Stegman (25989 posts) - - Show Bio

I always saw it as Superman having better physical stats (strength, speed, invulnerability etc) but Thor as being more powerful due to what Mjolnir can do. All in all, if someone asked me who'd win in a fight, I'd say Superman, he floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee, lightning can't hit what the eyes can't see.

#44 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I understand the OP different. To me the answer is yes. That basically, Thor should be Marvel's version of Superman. (In fact, I think he was designed to be just that.) He's not asking who is more powerful; or would win in a fight. As for who is more powerful...don't know...don't care.

#45 Edited by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@hillbillymorangie: Oh believe you me, I don't have anything else against your post, just wanted to point that out ^_^

#46 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

I always saw it as Superman having better physical stats (strength, speed, invulnerability etc) but Thor as being more powerful due to what Mjolnir can do. All in all, if someone asked me who'd win in a fight, I'd say Superman, he floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee, lightning can't hit what the eyes can't see.

#47 Edited by Thorverine (451 posts) - - Show Bio

They are close enough.