Should superheroes be having kid or teen side-kicks?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Should superheroes be having kid or teen side-kicks? (24 votes)

Yes, Nightwing and Red Robin are examples that it works. 29%
No, Jason Todd and Bucky are examples that it doesn't work. 4%
The heroes should only be teaching them, like in Avengers Academy. 42%
Kids and teenagers should not be superheroes at all. 4%
All heroes should be underage minors with over-dramatic teenage problems. 8%
All comics should be like the "Baby Geniuses" movies. 13%

I only ask because I saw this.

• 
Psychogeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All heroes should be underage minors with over-dramatic teenage problems. (Your vote) 50%
Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jonez_

Baby Geniuses.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can see how its nice for kids who read the comics to associate with, but personally I dont like it for storyline purposes.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It probably depends on who they're sidekicking to, and on their own personal skills.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Depends on who they're sidekicking with. If it's somebody like Batman who goes through kids like nothing then they probably shouldn't be allowed allowed around anybody below the age of at least 17. Sure teaming up with any superhero is dangerous but Batman gets his sidekicks killed more than anybody

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By the_tree

Eh, I like kid/teen sidekicks and heroes, as goofy and outlandish the concept may be. But I voted Baby Geniuses.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Arrow

Teaching them but not letting them fight crime yet. It is better than to leave them alone and having the possibility that they go to fight crime alone.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By kidchipotle

Does anyone know what series/issue that panel is from?

As for the OP, I think the teenage sidekicks should be older. When I read about kids being 10-15 and they're super heroes I just can't believe that because their maturity level and such is so high while the kids I know in real life that are that age are mostly morons.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

Hey @aros001, if it makes you feel any better, Sylvester Pemberton (the original Star-Spangled Kid) was a 15 year old with an adult sidekick as far back as the 1940's.

How's that for a plot twist (LOL)?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, Nightwing and red robin are examples of how it works. Jason Todd died because he sucked and damian was a little kid he shouldn't have been allowed out at all.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JulieDC

I tend to like the sidekicks and former sidekicks more than the main hero as they have interesting perspectives and development we rarely see with main heroes when done properly, I just wish writers wouldn't misuse them the way they have been lately...

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: to be fair i blame what happened to Jason on what happens when you let people who hate the character or concept write them. He could have been a great character if he was written properly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliedc: I don't know if he could've been great. It seemed they kept changing him to try to get people to like him since his pre crisis origin was basically the same as dick Grayson's. Maybe if he was written more originally like Tim drake he would've been better recieved though.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JulieDC

@jayc1324: jason had the misfortune of succeeding dick which is a massive legacy to live up to at a time when such things didn't happen...however in interviews I've read jim starlin intentionally wrote jason to be a jerk so the character never stood a chance once he took over. At least one good thing came from the whole mess which is tim although it feels like the character is suffering a similar fate at the moment...

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Morally? No sidekicks are a terrible idea. But in the context of a comic it is pretty awesome. I love sidekicks. To me Robin has always been as important as Batman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliedc: yeah the new 52 has been horrible for tim overall. I guess its good that he is the leader of the titans but overall his character has been screwed and he is less fun to read now. And teen titans is getting canceled so who knows what will happen to him now. Hopefully the next thing he shows up in will have a writer that understands him and does something with him.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I think something like Avengers Academy is the best choice. They are not teaching just one method of crimefighting their mentor knows - they have multiple mentors. And they are learning the teamwork, which will be useful when they will be adult heroes.