Should Ninjas Be More Realistic?

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Where should the line between realism and fantasy be drawn in relation to ninjas in comics/tv? I know that it would make it less interesting if they were too close to the real life versions of ninjas, but the vast majority of their depictions seem pretty far from the real thing. Almost too far to really say they're still connected. Naruto, while I still enjoy it, is almost not even about ninjas anymore. They're magical warriors fighting on the front lines rather than highly trained and uber cautious assassins who stalk the shadows. Most modern ninja characters seem to follow this characterization. Naruto isn't the first or the one who set the example. It's been this way for a while. Is this fine the way it is? Should it be changed? Should ninjas be more like their real world counterparts? If so, by how much?

For some context, this is the video that got me thinking about this:

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DBVSE7

No they shouldn't.. calling Naruto Charcters “Magical Warriors” is a HUGE stretch.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@dbvse7 said:

No they shouldn't.. calling Naruto Charcters “Magical Warriors” is a HUGE stretch.

Using shuriken on occasion doesn't make you a ninja either. Naruto was never about actual ninja. Its a fantasy based manga about warriors who use special techniques via what is basically yet another iteration of "chi/mana/ki/etc". The whole basis of Naruto is based on chakra and "special techniques"

Its really not that big of a stretch.

Real ninjas were basically just feudal spies. They gathered intel more than they actual fought anyone.

As for the OP. It doesn't really matter. Nothing should or has to be anything in fiction. It can be whatever you want. As long as people don't confuse what is fiction with what is reality I don't see the problem.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That video came to my mind as soon as I saw the title of this thread. Anyway, no. Not unless the writer wants them to be realistic.

laidblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. Real ninjas are boring as s***.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nardo characters are more like kung fu sorcerers. The only ninja in the series can be counted on one hand.

Like Zabuza. Attacking from obscuring mist silently is what a ninja does.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

I like my ninja in all variety types and styles. Though yeah it seems that grounded, realistic style ninja are not as common in fiction these days.