Should Marvel finish this universe?

patrick82895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just started to recently get into comics (as of June2014) and so far I have read absolutely everything from DC. I think the New 52 is great (I went back and read lots of pre52 stuff but I prefer the new DCU). It has allowed me to jump into all these characters comics with ease, obviously there are many problems with the universe, too many to list, but I think the problems are crushed by the benefits. Because of it I will be buying DC comics for many years to come. Now onto the Marvel part, I have read everything in the New52 so I branched out into Marvel, of course with many decades of continuity the whole thing is just a mess. I want Marvel to reboot before I go buying Marvel comics, it would allow people like me who are only starting to get into comics to jump in and not too much to catch up on. However I think they should do right where DC didn't. Instead of simply rebooting most of the continuity with a convenient time reset, I say why not start to end the characters story arks through whatever means necessary and then in one big final event finish the 616 universe once and for all. Then simply start up a new universe, all the characters first arks would be origins stories so everybody knows whats what, and then simply branch out after that. Anyway thats what I think would be the best thing for Marvel to do. I think its the best way to reboot without screwing over long time fans, and not simply ignoring many fans who want to get into it.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Honestly, the only confusing thing in Marvel is the X-Men, everything else you can just research online and have you tried the Marvel NOW series, they all start with #1 and are quite easy to follow and require some background information, which is easily available through the marvel wiki, Marvel's own website and Comic Vine itself...

There are rumours that Marvel are rebooting in 2015 but we don't know much yet...

If you have managed to read DC before New 52, Marvel should be relatively easy...

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So you're saying they should start it all fresh with origins all over again...like they did when they created the Ultimate Universe? The Ultimate Universe was created so you could follow these characters you love with a more updated origin that wasn't bogged down in continuity. The problem with that is they weren't the characters you loved. They hadn't went through the trial and tribulations before, and thus no reason to even love them. When you love something, you don't dismiss it all to start over, you take it all together, the good and bad.

When I first got into comics when I was young, I didn't know much about Green Lantern, which is what I first read. You know what I did? I just jumped in, that's all. Most comics you can sum up the basic premise of the character in a paragraph, read the recap page and you're good. I don't know anything about Thor, and I read Thor: God of Thunder, and was fine. Today I can get trades of past storylines, get a digital subscription for ten bucks with unlimited comics, or just read a wiki page for a few minutes and be caught up.

Rebooting is frustrating for old fans, and more so for new fans who just got in, then see it all gone. I had just gotten back into DC after being out of comics for years, then they rebooted. It felt like my time invested was wasted, and characters I enjoyed were changed dramatically. There are plenty of instances where you don't reboot and it's fine: Soap operas, sports, TV shows, etc. It's easier today than it was when I was young, to just jump in since there are so many wiki pages, sites (like this one), movie adaptations and subscription services. The thing is that new readers just FEEL daunted, but if you just jump in, you'll realize it's not that hard. Ignore the past continuity, read stuff now, then when you get time or something is referenced, look it up.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

616 is confusing. Needs to be cleaned up a little bit.