Should manga/comics be considered essentialy the same thing?

Avatar image for thelegionproject
TheLegionProject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should manga/comics be considered essentialy the same thing? (57 votes)

Yes, the difference is too small. 56%
No, they're not even comparable. 40%
...And none about Image Comics. 4%

Like cartoons and anime are only superficially different.

• 
Doctor_Burns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Doctor_Burns

No. Completely differing art styles and often writing styles in general

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BeaconofStrength

Yes, because manga are literally Japanese comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

They are basically the same thing.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ParaChomp

@doctor_burns: Just because Tintin or Lucky Luke is different than Batman, does that mean I need to refer to them as something else? No, I don't.

@beaconofstrength said:

Yes, because manga are literally Japanese comics.

Exactly, manga is slang for "Japanese comics." Anime is slang for "Japanese cartoons." Us darn hipsters really need to stop using slang.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Aren't they already ?

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

They are different but Manga are basically Japanese comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only weeaboos would say no.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are the same thing. Distinguishing them would be like saying American comics are different from British comics.

'Manga' is just a Japanese word for 'comic(s)/graphic novel(s)'.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The industries no, the actual books of course.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolfrazer

manga

ˈmaNGɡə

/noun

1. a style of Japanese comic books and graphic novels, typically aimed at adults as well as children.
Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vivide

They don't pander to the vocal minority, nor do they have writers going to twitter to justify their BS decisions.

why the hate to Image comics?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: would love this thread.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

In a word Yes.

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am hesitant to vote because I am somewhere in the middle...

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

No, in fact manga should be banned globally

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@saren said:

No, in fact manga should be banned globally

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A book in western culture is still a book in eastern culture despite the difference in style and language.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no.

come at me XD

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apples and Oranges. Sure they're both fruit, but they're still different fruit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Why do you hate anime/manga so much?

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic-5/why-do-some-people-hate-anime-1629905/

My college roommate had a lot going for him --- he was a good looking guy, a National Merit finalist, a teammate on our soccer team, and an outgoing, social person. His interests were as varied and multifaceted as he was. He could play the violin while he discussed Proust, and argue about the merits of the French New Wave with anyone who was interested. His tastes were truly patrician.

And then one day I got back to our room and found him watching Naruto.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelled, reaching out to slam his laptop shut. He jerked it away and said, "Saren, what's your problem?"

"Anime is cancer," I warned him. "Better men than you have crumbled."

"What does that even mean? You sound like a crazy person."

"Anime is cancer," I repeated, "Stop watching this crap before it's too late."

"It's just one show," he said, "You should give it a chance, it's not that bad."

But it wasn't just one show. Naruto led to Gurren Lagann, and then to Flame of Recca and Detective School Q and Code Geass and YuYu Hakusho and god knows what else. It was like he was speaking a new language. All he ever wanted to talk about now was anime; he called everything "kawaii" and addressed everyone as "senpai" and "onii-chan". I'm pretty sure at one point he was stalking this Asian chick and only stopped after she pointed out that she was Korean and threatened to go to the administrative board.

Anime became his entire life. He was kicked out of the soccer team because he was too busy arguing about Miyazaki vs Azuma online to show up for practice. He didn't return his friends' phone calls, and eventually they stopped returning his. He started hanging out with the local anime club and kept trying to add us to their mailing list. His attendance was spotty, and when he did show up he usually spent the hour asleep in the back. One professor, originally from France, took offense and shook him awake, and so he yelled "Baka gaijin!" at her. That nearly got him expelled.

After his GPA had dipped so low that he'd lost his financial aid grants and the university was sending e-mails about "remaining in good standing" and "unacceptable attendance pattern", you'd think he might have come to his senses. But the hooks were in too deep. He missed an entire set of semester exams even after we pleaded with him to stop streaming anime, but he refused to listen. Not even after I found him at his lowest, sprawled naked on the bathroom floor, covered in his own filth and weeping about how he'd seen Ai Enma in his dreams.

Two weeks later, I came back from classes and found our dorm room locked from the inside. I banged on the door, but there was no response, and all the lights were off. I alerted the warden and we broke down the door --- and that was when we found him hanging by the ceiling fan, slowly rotating around the room. He'd taken his own life. On his table lay his laptop, and an episode of Kill La Kill still played in the backdrop.

If you or anyone you know watches anime, seek help immediately. It might not be too late.

TheLegionProject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrglfan2814 said:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic-5/why-do-some-people-hate-anime-1629905/

My college roommate had a lot going for him --- he was a good looking guy, a National Merit finalist, a teammate on our soccer team, and an outgoing, social person. His interests were as varied and multifaceted as he was. He could play the violin while he discussed Proust, and argue about the merits of the French New Wave with anyone who was interested. His tastes were truly patrician.

"What the hell are you doing?" I yelled, reaching out to slam his laptop shut. He jerked it away and said, "Saren, what's your problem?"

"It's just one show," he said, "You should give it a chance, it's not that bad."

But it wasn't just one show. Naruto led to Gurren Lagann, and then to Flame of Recca and Detective School Q and Code Geass and YuYu Hakusho and god knows what else. It was like he was speaking a new language. All he ever wanted to talk about now was anime; he called everything "kawaii" and addressed everyone as "senpai" and "onii-chan". I'm pretty sure at one point he was stalking this Asian chick and only stopped after she pointed out that she was Korean and threatened to go to the administrative board.

Anime became his entire life. He was kicked out of the soccer team because he was too busy arguing about Miyazaki vs Azuma online to show up for practice. He didn't return his friends' phone calls, and eventually they stopped returning his. He started hanging out with the local anime club and kept trying to add us to their mailing list. His attendance was spotty, and when he did show up he usually spent the hour asleep in the back. One professor, originally from France, took offense and shook him awake, and so he yelled "Baka gaijin!" at her. That nearly got him expelled.

After his GPA had dipped so low that he'd lost his financial aid grants and the university was sending e-mails about "remaining in good standing" and "unacceptable attendance pattern", you'd think he might have come to his senses. But the hooks were in too deep. He missed an entire set of semester exams even after we pleaded with him to stop streaming anime, but he refused to listen. Not even after I found him at his lowest, sprawled naked on the bathroom floor, covered in his own filth and weeping about how he'd seen Ai Enma in his dreams.

Two weeks later, I came back from classes and found our dorm room locked from the inside. I banged on the door, but there was no response, and all the lights were off. I alerted the warden and we broke down the door --- and that was when we found him hanging by the ceiling fan, slowly rotating around the room. He'd taken his own life. On his table lay his laptop, and an episode of Kill La Kill still played in the backdrop.

If you or anyone you know watches anime, seek help immediately. It might not be too late.

That's fu*king retarded. And quite unbelievable. If that's real, his friend was clearly depressed and Saren should have noticed it and called in some doctors or even his family. You also can't blame anime/manga for it since the same could happen with games/drugs/etc...

I know how sh!t the experience of suicide is and how sh!it you have to be feeling to even attempt it. 2 weeks in the hospital thaught me to never try again.

You're directing the hate you have on your friend for killing himself into manga/anime.

Don't be like that.

Bye.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheLegionProject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only difference is stylistic and cultural. Manga and mainstream American comics are literally the same thing if you ignore aforementioned differences. There's good and bad manga, just like there's good and bad comics. Both cover an enormous range of topics, plots, subjects, and appeal to vastly different demographics. Most stereotypes of manga come from people reading some generic shonen (coughbleachonepiecenarutoectceteracough) or schoolgirl (ugh) manga, and stereotypes for comics come from readers of a bland superhero (meh) or detective comic (why?).

Only weeaboos and obsessive comic nerds would try to make a giant distinction. Art is art, despite whatever country it comes from.

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Completely differing art styles and often writing styles in general

I've seen manga that resemble western comics more than other manga and western comics more like manga than other comics. Art style depends on the individual artist, and writing style on the author.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stardustcrusader said:

Apples and Oranges. Sure they're both fruit, but they're still different fruit.

Just like comparing some of our stuff to Belgian comics like Tintin. Seriously though, why do Japanese comics get slang terms but Belgian comics don't?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BlackWind

Only really different from a cultural perspective and how they're written.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By TheDandyMan

While comparable, they are pretty different stylistically.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro said:

@wrglfan2814 said:

That's fu*king retarded. And quite unbelievable. If that's real, his friend was clearly depressed and Saren should have noticed it and called in some doctors or even his family. You also can't blame anime/manga for it since the same could happen with games/drugs/etc...

I know how sh!t the experience of suicide is and how sh!it you have to be feeling to even attempt it. 2 weeks in the hospital thaught me to never try again.

You're directing the hate you have on your friend for killing himself into manga/anime.

Don't be like that.

Bye.

...it's a joke. Do you really think someone who hates anime will perfectly remember the names of all the anime he has written so well?

TheLegionProject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheLegionProject

@thelegionproject said:

@mandarinestro said:

@wrglfan2814 said:

Don't be like that.

Bye.

...it's a joke. Do you really think someone who hates anime will perfectly remember the names of all the anime he has written so well?

The "quite unbelievable" part. Also, just in case.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@princearagorn1:

Know your enemy.

You can also look names up easily online.

BB

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes because manga = Japanese comic. The art style and stories are usually different than what you see in western comics, but I don't think that matters. Lets say Japanese movies are pretty different than U.S made movies, does that mean they aren't movies? No.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "quite unbelievable" part. Also, just in case.

Fair enough.

@princearagorn1:

Know your enemy.

You can also look names up easily online.

BB

Or maybe the friend was just something his mind created to stop the anime addiction?

TheLegionProject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumpa.

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their not the same but they do share similarities.